Jason Wilcox - New technical director

Stig

Yes let's pay everyone whatever they want! Repeating all the mistakes of the old regime is the way forward.
In the grand scheme of things I doubt it's a great amount, as a year's salary seems to be the legal threshold, so I'm guessing a drop in the bucket compared to our monthly expenses and we get the man we want to shape the future now rather than in 12 months time.

I'm not suggesting that we pay Newcastle the £15,000,000 they are asking for, but how much do Southampton want to make this happen $500,000 ?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
In the grand scheme of things I doubt it's a great amount, as a year's salary seems to be the legal threshold, so I'm guessing a drop in the bucket compared to our monthly expenses and we get the man we want to shape the future now rather than in 12 months time.

I'm not suggesting that we pay Newcastle the £15,000,000 they are asking for, but how much do Southampton want to make this happen $500,000 ?
Wasting money is wasting money. Where do you draw the line? I remember when posters were saying "pay whatever it takes" (£100m+) to get Sancho.

There's a reason we're in the mess that we're in.

Teja

Given that Berrada isn’t starting until July, will Wilcox effectively be in charge of the summer transfer window ?
I mean he's technically not starting but is he really not starting? I presume he had input on all these hires already.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Given that Berrada isn’t starting until July, will Wilcox effectively be in charge of the summer transfer window ?
He will play his part along with Matt Hargreaves, Andy O'boyle and one or two more. But it's not a ideal situation for Wilcox to come into on the eve of the transfer window because he isn't a scout and his role is one where people will report into him and those people are not his people as far as Mayorga and Wells are concerned along with the data science and analytics teams. So this coming window imo is one where the Argentine Mayorga and Simon Wells will lead the way when it comes to identifying players and maybe there could be cross communication between our scouts and the INEOS one's at their clubs in France and Switzerland. Which could be helpful as far as picking up young players from South America where Jose Mayorga knows the region very well due to his back ground.

Ashworth coming in for the start of the new season would be ideal for him because then he will have time to make a difference and possibly beef up certain football departments further and possibly bring in another prominent scout to lead on recruitment.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He will play his part along with Matt Hargreaves, Andy O'boyle and one or two more. But it's not a ideal situation for Wilcox to come into on the eve of the transfer window because he isn't a scout and his role is one where people will report into him and those people are not his people as far as Mayorga and Wells are concerned along with the data science and analytics teams. So this coming window imo is one where the Argentine Mayorga and Simon Wells will lead the way when it comes to identifying players and maybe there could be cross communication between our scouts and the INEOS one's at their clubs in France and Switzerland. Which could be helpful as far as picking up young players from South America where Jose Mayorga knows the region very well due to his back ground.

Ashworth coming in for the start of the new season would be ideal for him because then he will have time to make a difference and possibly beef up certain football departments further and possibly bring in another prominent scout to lead on recruitment.
What do you expect out of our next summer window? I am a bit concerned considering the void in terms of personnel

RedRocket9908

What do you expect out of our next summer window? I am a bit concerned considering the void in terms of personnel
Im not expecting very much other than departures to be honest, if INEOS are as slow at negotiating player signings as they are at negotiating for a Director of Football then its unlikely we will manage to sign anyone before next season.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Im not expecting very much other than departures to be honest, if INEOS are as slow at negotiating player signings as they are at negotiating for a Director of Football then its unlikely we will manage to sign anyone before next season.
No they won't be. Joel Glazer was always the one holding things up before.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Wasting money is wasting money. Where do you draw the line? I remember when posters were saying "pay whatever it takes" (£100m+) to get Sancho.
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but when you look at how much money we get fleeced for every transfer window, surely Dan Ashworth's compensation package would 'pay for itself' in just one Summer..? :rolleyes:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but when you look at how much money we get fleeced for every transfer window, surely Dan Ashworth's compensation package would 'pay for itself' in just one Summer..? :rolleyes:
Not when you are still sending the message to the rest that you are willing to be fleeced

Adnan

Talent Spotter
it's a difficult question but i'm expecting us to come out of the window by signing players at CB and in deeper midfield who raise the physical and athletic level of the team without compromising on technical ability in possession. The team currently is soft in those areas in comparison to the teams at the top who have pace and power in abundance which compliments their more technical players in possession and allows the coaching to become more effective due to having a strong foundation at the base of the team. We don't have a strong foundation at all and that needs to change in the coming window if we're to compete with the top teams. Even under Fergie when we had great teams, at times we had to battle and fight to win games by winning duels. And when you can match the opponent's physicality and athleticism, then your superior technical ability will make the difference.

I'm hoping we sign two CBs and a deeper midfielder who have the pace and power along with the technical quality to raise our level in defending large space in defensive transitions out of possession. And also aid our build up capabilities on the ball where we can initiate attacks from the back at a high level. And when you have those players at the back, it will pin the opponent in their own half due to having good technical players on the ball with the added ability of being strong in eating up ground quickly to thwart fast attackers on the counter. We badly lack those players imo.

And of course we also need another striker and possibly another wide attacker. Both Williams and Olise have been mentioned as wide forward options and we just have to wait and see how things develop. I'm optimistic and would be very disappointed if we don't bring in the players that fit the criteria above. My entire focus is on the CBs and deeper midfield position. Getting those signings wrong will mean we carry on playing second fiddle to the top teams over the course of the season.

CM

Not sure it really works that way. I think the idea with someone like Ashworth is that it forms part of a longer-term strategy, so you wouldn't necessarily reap the rewards straight away even if he did come in ahead of this transfer window.

We need to re-shape our entire recruitment process, I'd be surprised if that could happen over the space of one transfer window. It's another reason why I think it's naive for people to say Ten Hag deserves the opportunity to work under the new structure. The potential benefits of that structure aren't likely to come to fruition until after he's gone, even if he managed to last another season.

You'd hope we will behave more like a typical football club this summer in terms of not having our pants pulled down with such regularity, though that shouldn't really be contingent on Ashworth's arrival if the other key appointments are what they're supposed to be.

Berbaclass

it's a difficult question but i'm expecting us to come out of the window by signing players at CB and in deeper midfield who raise the physical and athletic level of the team without compromising on technical ability in possession. The team currently is soft in those areas in comparison to the teams at the top who have pace and power in abundance which compliments their more technical players in possession and allows the coaching to become more effective due to having a strong foundation at the base of the team. We don't have a strong foundation at all and that needs to change in the coming window if we're to compete with the top teams. Even under Fergie when we had great teams, at times we had to battle and fight to win games by winning duels. And when you can match the opponent's physicality and athleticism, then your superior technical ability will make the difference.

I'm hoping we sign two CBs and a deeper midfielder who have the pace and power along with the technical quality to raise our level in defending large space in defensive transitions out of possession. And also aid our build up capabilities on the ball where we can initiate attacks from the back at a high level. And when you have those players at the back, it will pin the opponent in their own half due to having good technical players on the ball with the added ability of being strong in eating up ground quickly to thwart fast attackers on the counter. We badly lack those players imo.

And of course we also need another striker and possibly another wide attacker. Both Williams and Olise have been mentioned as wide forward options and we just have to wait and see how things develop. I'm optimistic and would be very disappointed if we don't bring in the players that fit the criteria above. My entire focus is on the CBs and deeper midfield position. Getting those signings wrong will mean we carry on playing second fiddle to the top teams over the course of the season.
I'm expecting us to lose Eriksen, Casemiro and obviously Amrabat. Do you not think we need two midfielders? Casemiro replacment and someone to rotate with Kobbie

Waynne

Best news to wake up to. More excited for our backroom staff reshuffle than any of the upcoming games

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I fully agree

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm expecting us to lose Eriksen, Casemiro and obviously Amrabat. Do you not think we need two midfielders? Casemiro replacment and someone to rotate with Kobbie
I think so mate. Ideally two CBs and two midfielders need to be brought in imo. Not sure how realistic that is, but if we could do that and sign players who fit the criteria I mentioned in my previous post, then that has the potential to improve us significantly.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Because the DoF situation is an entirely different scenario to signing a player, not least because directors don’t have a market value, they aren’t traded readily or regularly and Ashworth specifically has a long term contract with Newcastle. It has also been less than 2 months since he was placed on leave, and multiple reports have said there has been a reluctance on both sides to compromise.
If this was a player who was under contract the owner club would just say ‘not for sale’ and that would be that, so there has been progress from that perspective already.
It’s just typical entitled malcontent Caf nonsense.

RedRocket9908

Ask yourself why people would consider the post a possible parody.
They have been after Dan Ashworth for over 2 months and are still nowhere near appointing him which is ridiculous, if they are dragging out the signing of staff member for this long rather than making an agreement with Newcastle or dropping their interest and moving on to other targets how can anyone be confident it will be any different when it comes to player signings.

Cassidy

I’m a little worried about the signings he made at Southampton last season which ultimately relegated them

Cassidy

He's the technical director not the DOF
Yes I know but he will be heavily be involved this summer as we won’t have a DOF

To be honest though not 100% sure how much he was actually involved in those City youth players going to Southampton

Berbaclass

Yes I know but he will be heavily be involved this summer as we won’t have a DOF

To be honest though not 100% sure how much he was actually involved in those City youth players going to Southampton
He will yeah but we'll have Berrards too.