Jason Wilcox - New technical director

Laurencio

The idea that Southampton would get upset about a director wanting to further his career by joining one of the largest clubs in the world in Man Utd and likely receiving a massive pay rise seems a bit far fetched to me. Fans getting upset is a different matter, but surely no serious business people looks at this with anything but understanding?

UDontMessWith24

In a city in the northwest of England, Jason Wilcox has gone from the football genius of our time to an incompetent nobody in the span of a few hours.

Cloud7

Sigh. Can people still not understand the role Fletcher does? He will be given a new title for the role so it doesn’t confuse those people
For Fletch's good in terms of the eyes of the general fanbase who don't actually know what he really does, I think the club should re-name his role as youth team co-ordinator or something like that, if only so that Fletch doesn't keep catching strays for no reason. The club did a fairly dumb thing in giving him that title when that's not his job.

Chairman Steve

this is more exciting than the football we dish up
All the exciting stuff for United fans this season involves corporate and management affairs. The official annual review will be 30 mins long, with the first 29 mins being dedicated to INEOS, Berrada, Wilcox and whoever else joins, and the last minute will be some United fan walking to the OT centre circle, squatting down and taking a shit before signing off with ‘And there’s an abridged review of our games this season’

Irrational.

With most of our new board members on gardening leave until next year, bring on the 2026-27 season! I can sense our rivals shitting themselves in advance :cool:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
With most of our new board members on gardening leave until next year, bring on the 2026-27 season! I can sense our rivals shitting themselves in advance :cool:
and by then the football they were nearly good at cultivating will no longer be relevant. we should be hiring the best boardroom neymar, not the fat, injured one that’s already porking his sister.

Tiber

Had a look at the Southampton forum, I suppose its typical for online talk, but they don't exactly seem gutted to see him go

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Had a look at the Southampton forum, I suppose its typical for online talk l, but they don't exactly seem gutted to see him go
Their transfer model in summer 2022 basically relegated them.

Bazunu, Lavia, Edozie and Juan Larios all signed from Man. City under 21s for over 50m. They also bid 15m for Liam Delap who since then has had three loan spells in the championship where he's done o.k but nothing more.

Made all the money back on Chelsea seeing Lavia's potential, Bazunu remains first choice but Edozie still struggles to get a game and no idea what happened to Larios. Last summer they signed Shea Charles and Harwood-Bellis from Man. City aswell.

Think it's just the frustration of being established prem club, losing a few experienced players like Romeu and Bertrand and replacing with a bunch of kids. Then after sacking Hasenhuttl they made a catashrpohic manager appointment in Nathan Jones but not sure Wilcox was to do with that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For Fletch's good in terms of the eyes of the general fanbase who don't actually know what he really does, I think the club should re-name his role as youth team co-ordinator or something like that, if only so that Fletch doesn't keep catching strays for no reason. The club did a fairly dumb thing in giving him that title when that's not his job.
I agree, the club did him no favours with that job title. It’s confused Rangnick and some of the fanbase

Withnail

I agree, the club did him no favours with that job title. It’s confused Rangnick and some of the fanbase
To me it said a lot about Ralf and/or the state of the club that he didn't know what Fletcher's real role was when he was drafted in to help him. He was possibly caught on the hop as he was dealing with a bit of a crisis and possibly hadn't thought to ask. Technical director is a bit of a catch all term anyway and means different things at different clubs. They obviously could and probably should have qualified which department he fell under within his role title.

SirAF

Ageist
He obviously leaked it to the press personally during the game, the bastard.

As if it would affect the players on the pitch on by it leaking during a game anyway.
Yeah, I was more puzzled why the opinion of a random Saints fan would be of any interest :p

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Seems pretty dumb to turn down 12 months' pay for him. They're going to have to keep paying him and you wouldn't imagine the offer will go up the longer they wait...so eventually he'll leave for less than 12 months' compensation, possibly even zero I suppose.

Rauður Djöfull

So this have impact on wether Dan Asworth joins or not or what's happening and what will he do that Dan won't? (So many names being rumoured and positions, I've lost overview)

Also is this guy any good?
Have Southampton not been shit for a while and why is he there?

RuudTom83

Southampton are just after a fat cheque like everyone else when United come knocking.

Will be interesting to see how Wilcox and Ashworth is resolved.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yeah, I was more puzzled why the opinion of a random Saints fan would be of any interest :p
Seems to be the norm with anything in football (especially us) nowadays.

Random guy shouting something… tick, football employment law experts on the Caf… tick, couple of journalists using United for a clickbait story… tick, coming, not coming, gardening leave, quitting, not quitting. All in a few hours :)

If Ornstein says it, I’ll go with it. If Joe the random Twitter account says it, I tend not to…

Waynne

Is this confirmed or what? Is it a good move?

Thread title seems to suggest its confirmed? Or this is April fools? Confused right now.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
So this have impact on wether Dan Asworth joins or not or what's happening and what will he do that Dan won't? (So many names being rumoured and positions, I've lost overview)

Also is this guy any good?
Have Southampton not been shit for a while and why is he there?
This is like the 3rd time this has been asked in this very thread, (and it's only 5 pages long!). It has no affect on whether or not Ashworth joins. They're 2 different roles.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Are we also still potentially getting Dougie Freedman as head of recruitment? That one went a bit quiet.

CEO: Berrada
DOF: Ashworth
TD: Wilcox
HOR: Freedman

Big step up from Arnold, Murtough, & Fletcher

Be interesting to see what roles Murtough and Fletcher play after the reshuffle.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Is this normal for club to make that much of an issue when football people wants a move? They are serious considering to pay someone for 12 months gardening? Or is it just journalist bunch of usual crap?
Manchester United involved.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Are we also still potentially getting Dougie Freedman as head of recruitment? That one went a bit quiet.

Be interesting to see what roles Murtough and Fletcher play after the reshuffle.
Murtough assistant kitman. I remember reading Fletcher role was a bit misleading, he actually sounds like he's done a wonderful job, he's the pathway from the Academy to Senior team. And with that respect we've had Garnacho and Mainoo come through, I wouldn't change Fletcher if he's been doing well with the link between the two.

r0663664

Worships Man City
It seems is different from the rest, clubs can force employee to go on garden leave. I see a purpose with contract with players because of huge transfer fee but why non-playing staff. Does clubs pay another club a transfer fee and sign on bonus? To me, it is just a job. Anyone can serve out their notice period, might it 1-3 months before joining the next club. It seems football employment policy is still very outdated. Anyone is free to leave unless as notice period is served, just like to current policy in most companies. Asking employee to go on garden doesn't work or expecting a compensation of 1 year salary.

Giggsy13

@Giggsy13 @Walters_19_MuFc

In some clubs the roles are incredibly similar and synonymous. Ashworth however would have more say over who is bought and sold as usually a director of football deals with players in and out of the club more so than a technical director who in this role will likely be more about who is already in the building and dealing with staff more so than players (I think and am basing this of an average structure at other clubs).

So planning with the technical director if we lose player X what qualities are we missing so we can scout a replacement player Y etc.

A typical technical directors would be involved in the following:
  • Performance at various levels (academy through to first team) including analysis
  • Sports Science Depts (working closely)
  • Talent ID
  • Long term strategic planning related to football outcomes
Great summary!

Giggsy13

Murtough assistant kitman. I remember reading Fletcher role was a bit misleading, he actually sounds like he's done a wonderful job, he's the pathway from the Academy to Senior team. And with that respect we've had Garnacho and Mainoo come through, I wouldn't change Fletcher if he's been doing well with the link between the two.
If you want a sound and informed opinion of Fletcher then listen to Mitten. Fletcher is well respected and will find a role in the new set up.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Why would sotn put him on a year of paid gardening leave? Not like we are a rival?
It's a negotiating position to get more money. Nose is probably a little out of joint as well given he only joined last year.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Amazing how we have the ability to nick very competent people from other clubs and decided to stick with Ed Woodward and friends for a decade.

Its like you have a gun and decided to throw chopsticks at a robber in your house. I know that sounds american but its true.

mu4c_20le

Amazing how we have the ability to nick very competent people from other clubs and decided to stick with Ed Woodward and friends for a decade.

Its like you have a gun and decided to throw chopsticks at a robber in your house. I know that sounds american but its true.
You've clearly never seen Jet Li use chopsticks

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I wouldn’t kick either to the curb if they have a valuable contribution to make.

Regarding Fletcher, if indeed he had a significant hand in helping shape that pathway from youth to senior football, then that’s one thing we can say has worked well in recent years. We’ve brought three huge talents through lately; Greenwood, Garnacho and Mainoo. No one’s fault, except Greenwood’s, what happened with him. The results from that perspective are hard to argue with.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White

Indeed, Freedman is the last outstanding move on the leadership side. My only question with him is, I know how great he's done to get english talent to Palace, does he have any track record with international or high level talent?

shabin_d_great

They have lots of gardens to take care off.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If you want a sound and informed opinion of Fletcher then listen to Mitten. Fletcher is well respected and will find a role in the new set up.
So will Murtough. I think he’s a valuable employee that was given too hard of a job to succeed. The glazers were holding everyone back waiting for a cash injection. In a more background position for sure, his work rebuilding the academy was superb really. He was trying to be positive in a sea of negativity and indecision. If he was recruiting linking and looking after youth he’d be an asset to INEOS.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Indeed, Freedman is the last outstanding move on the leadership side. My only question with him is, I know how great he's done to get english talent to Palace, does he have any track record with international or high level talent?
We are creating a think thank of supposedly great football minds. It’s all just a load of city dudes and Ashworth. Will it all still be a load of shite? Maybe it still will. It’s the hope that kills you.

It feels like there is an emphasis on best in class domestic or local based talent so far and that’s cool.The signs are very encouraging that we are going to be movers. Will Brailsford start giving the lads big inhalers next year?