Javier 'Chicarito' Hernandez: thank you and goodbye.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
We went in to this season with three strikers for one position. Rooney, Martial and Wilson. That should have been enough even if you wanted to occasionally play Rooney at #10
That's on the basis that we never want to play anything other than 4-3-3 which isn't very flexible. Last season van Gaal played both one and two striker systems. Rooney can play behind the striker and Martial can also play as a wide forward so there was room for another striker in my opinion like Hernandez. If Wilson wasn't going to get minutes we could always have loaned him like we've ended up doing now.

No one here expected Rooney to fall of the cliff like he has and everyone wanted Wilson to get his shot. Obviously Wilson doesn't look to have come on as we'd have hoped but keeping Hernandez would have meant Wilson would have been further down the pecking order.
Rooney got a run of games towards the end of the season in the CF position after RvP got injured and he looked poor in almost all of them. I can think of one game against Spurs at home where I could really say he was good there. In general that season he was average but it went under the radar somewhat because of the form of other players. It was actually left to others like Mata, Herrera, Fellani and Young to provide the goals and assists that got us over the line to fourth. The extent to which he's declined might be surprising, but he's been on a downward spiral for some years now. Ferguson realised it in 12/13 when he started dropping Rooney and I'm sure he would have been sold that summer if he hadn't retired.

A goal every 157 minutes is not enough seeing as he offers nothing else during the game. He's not providing assists, no hold up play, no linking up or running down the channels. Like I said not United quality. There was a reason SAF brought in RvP. A closer look at your stats show 4 of those 9 goals came in the League cup (against Sunderland, Norwich and Liverpool ). He scored 4 goals in the league from 25 appearances. Bearing in mind this was a season when RVP was struggling so its not like he didn't have opportunities to stake a claim for starts.
The reason I put up those stats wasn't to say 'look how great his numbers are', it was because that poster was using 'only 9 goals' as though that was reason enough to get rid, when actually he was only behind van Persie that season on goals per minute. I did also say that they didn't tell the full story and that he had declined somewhat. The average number of minutes he was given for those league appearances was about 30 minutes, with I think 6 starts. The point is, we wouldn't be in a weaker position for keeping him and maybe we would have seen Rooney dropped quicker than he was. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Last edited:

mattsville

He should have been kept on and looked after properly, he was not one of the players who needed clearing out, still relatively young, eager, loves the club, scores goals, on average salary, how many times this season have we been in a position where we needed a goal and you look at the bench and plan b is launch to Fellaini. You "assumed" that him moving on was making room for Wilson, then he gets little involvement and goes out on loan. You are assuming all the time with LVG decisions that there is some underlying masterplan behind them, but in the immediate term they are costing us dearly, moving on hernandez is one of a list of examples of that, thought he was going to be here this season and I was delighted with that, it is poxy now we are struggling for goals and he is one of the best around.

Reactions: Livvie

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
If he was doing that for us, he'd have been on Rooney wages...
Hardly going to do it sitting on the bench.
Ferguson realised it in 12/13 when he started dropping Rooney and I'm sure he would have been sold that summer if he hadn't retired.
Absolutely was the plan, even at the end he set it up on a silver platter for Moyes, including handing him a freaking excuse if the media complained(that it was too late and SAF's fault). Then Moyes turned it arse on end and gave him a contract extension.

Ibi Dreams

We went in to this season with three strikers for one position. Rooney, Martial and Wilson. That should have been enough even if you wanted to occasionally play Rooney at #10
Not really. Wilson had played about two first team games and Martial being so good so quickly was a massive stroke of luck. There was every chance that neither of them would really be able to contribute much at all, and Van Gaal gambled on Rooney staying fit all season and scoring 20-30 goals. That's a big gamble, especially given that there have been question marks over Rooney's ability for quite a while now.

one340

I said it was a mistake settling him, and looks like most outsole agree now. Moves barely played him with the odd 10 or 15 minutes at the end of a game and hoped for hum to score. LVG played him for like half an hour and decided to sell him. That is no way to accurately assess a striker. In the tail end of his Madrid season, he was scoring and playing well. If he could do that in Madrid, he certainly could have had a positive impact now for us.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
In the tail end of his Madrid season, he was scoring and playing well. If he could do that in Madrid, he certainly could have had a positive impact now for us.
He came off the bench to score the winner in Champions League semi final. He has a long and distinguished record of scoring. Selling him was criminal. Would almost make ya think LVG is a Dipper.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
There really are times when you feel like saying 'told you so'. But I'll resist... ;)

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Di Maria and Hernandez = 29 goals
Man United = 32 goals

Good decision to let them go. Too many goals for our liking. Plus they give the ball away far too much, therefore would have reduced our productivity.

Treble

Di Maria and Hernandez = 29 goals
Man United = 32 goals

Good decision to let them go. Too many goals for our liking. Plus they give the ball away far too much, therefore would have reduced our productivity.
Only goals or also assists? How many has ADM scored so far?

Treble

9 goals + 19 from Hernandez.
And with that he's 1 goal away for equalling his best ever season.
Wow. I'm sure AdM has got a good number of assists as well.

Selling him, Hernandez and RvP and replacing them only with Memphis and Martial (on the last day of the transfer window at that!) was a huge mistake. Many fans on here could see it. How LVG failed to see it is baffling, all the more he said last year that Rooney wasn't good enough as a striker. And then he sold the other strikers and ADM and made Rooney our main man in attack. Crazy.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea but he slipped taking a penalty that one time, so we're better off without all them goal thingies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Even though his 'shit build up play' has always been exaggerated it's probably ten times better now than Rooney's, nevermind the goals.

Reactions: Livvie

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
He's been linked with us recently but I'd be very surprised if there's any truth in us wanting him.