Javier Hernandez says he can see a role for himself at Man Utd next season

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Delighted if he gets another chance. Him, Rooney and Wilson should be enough. No need to buy for the sake of it, there's nothing interesting on the market in that position.

ThanksBoss26

He's just favourited a tweet from a Spurs fan saying he should be playing at United and is too good for the bench!

Wonder if he actually will be happy with the back-up role this season?!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I hope he is happy just being second to Rooney. Honestly, him Rooney and Wilson should be more than enough to keep the striker position covered.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Can't help but think if he was on the end of some of the chances we created in the past two games, the scorelines would look like hockey games.

stevoc

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
A front three of Depay Hernandez and Di Maria or Pedro would be pretty good. Would be good to get his contract extended just in case

Rednotdead

Many of Hernandez's appearances are only coming on for 10-15 minutes and this skews his stats, his goals to minutes ratio is right up there with some of the best.

4TH in Premier League history (or was a year ago) behind Aguero, Henry and RVN.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...inutes-goal-ratio-Premier-League-history.html

So he actually is quite prolific if you think about it.
No he's not. Coming on fresh with only 10-15 minutes to go when the other team is perhaps already beaten, and knocking in a goal that doesn't really matter anyway, doesn't make him a prolific striker. He was never effective when played from the start. That's why he was never first choice.

stevoc

No he's not. Coming on fresh with only 10-15 minutes to go when the other team is perhaps already beaten, and knocking in a goal that doesn't really matter anyway, doesn't make him a prolific striker. He was never effective when played from the start. That's why he was never first choice.
What difference does any of that make and he usually came on when we were chasing games not when we were winning, also when you look at other strikers records do you discount the goals they scored when the opponent was tired?

Whether he was effective from the start or not is irrelevant he is a back up to Rooney and an option off the bench when we are chasing games, in that capacity he is excellent and very prolific.

settembrini

Hernandez not being a prolific goal scorer is a ludicrous claim.

As is the idea he was ineffective when he started. Ferguson was the only manager who started him a decent amount for us and in those game he scored at a rate above 1 in 2. 42 league starts, 22 goals.

Rednotdead

Hernandez not being a prolific goal scorer is a ludicrous claim.

As is the idea he was ineffective when he started. Ferguson was the only manager who started him a decent amount for us and in those game he scored at a rate above 1 in 2. 42 league starts, 22 goals.
I don't know where you're getting those figures from, his Wikipedia page tells a different story :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_Hernández

And I don't see clubs queuing up to buy this "prolific goal scorer".

stevoc

I don't know where you're getting those figures from, his Wikipedia page tells a different story :

Well apparently we are telling clubs he is not for sale, he's been strongly linked with several clubs.

http://www.squawka.com/news/javier-hernandez-not-for-sale-manchester-united-tell-west-ham/420123

Also this bit in that article is interesting, not prolific indeed.

After falling out of favour at United, Hernandez did relatively well in the Spanish capital. He scored at a rate of 0.71 per 90 minutes in La Liga, better than every other Madrid forward except Cristiano Ronaldo.

settembrini

His wikipedia page only shows appearances and goals. That includes all the games he started plus all the games he came on as sub. So it has nothing to do with the claim that he was never effective when he started. The figures I used were from were soccerway and show that he scored plenty when he started.

If we sell Hernandez he will get plenty of offers. I don't see us selling him at the moment though given Rooney and Wilson are our only other strikers and we don't seem particularly close to buying another one.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
"They have got Chicharito there and he is a fantastic player – how he is not a regular in that team baffles me. I think in terms of movement, when the ball goes wide, he has the best movement in the world. But he has not been afforded that confidence from the manager as yet to say: 'You are my No9, you get me 25 goals this season, you are playing every game.'" -- Rio Ferdinand

IwatUwat

Really looking forward to seeing him back, Rio was quoted as saying he'll get 20+ goals if given no 9 role for a season and you'd have to agree. Although I want us to sign a new forward Hernandez in his previous Utd form wouldnt be the worst replacement. IF LVG believes in him, which you assume not considering he was loaned out last yr.

Godfather

If Rooney continues to have stinkers I wouldn't mind Chicharito at all instead of him.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
If he's anything like he was under Moyes relying on him is a huge mistake.

Admit I didn't see much of him last year but he was woeful under Moyes.

Another player who the less he plays the better he becomes?

Judas

Open to offers
He's pointless if we can't create chances. He relies on good service, and even then, he doesn't seem to be the finisher he once was, but that could just be from a lack of games, but he's hardly going to be guaranteed plenty of game time here unless Rooney is injured/suspended.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Does it really matter that much if Hernandez' build-up play isn't as good as Lewandowski and Benzema? His movement is very clever and on par with every other striker in the world and adding to that he works just as hard as every other striker. You could see against Atletico that he was very hard to man-mark for the Atletico defenders and therefore caused them quite some problems. Obviously Hernandez is not on the same level as Benzema for example but he isn't as shit as other people make him out to be IMO. At the end of the day goals need to be scored and if Hernandez provides that with his finishing, workrate and movement then it doesn't matter a lot if he can't dribble or pass as good as other strikers.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Shark

@NotShark

We're a much better team and unit than we were under Moyes and have strengthened our midfield considerably. I don't see why he should be given the chance to thrive if we sign nobody else.

facund

If we are going to be as slow and laboured in the build up as last season before inevitably crossing in to a crowded area then Hernandez is the best option we have to be in the box. He has far more dynamic movement in the box than anyone who played up top last season and does surprisingly well in the air for a player of his height and physique. He seemed to really suffer under Moyes but if Van Gaal can inject him with some of his Young/Fellaini confidence potion then we have one of the most effective poachers in the game to call upon.

A reasonably limited player but with fantastic application makes an ideal squad player IMO.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I'm not worried about our attack atall. Spending a fortune on another striker doesnt make sense to me. First of all it must be a dream for Rooney to be top dog again. No Ronaldo or RVP means he can stay up top and get the goals. Having Hernandez back is a dream bench warmer, then there's Adnan and Memphis as attacking options, with Wilson chipping in too

Blue always red

I've always found it weird how people ask for us to sign an Aguero/Suarez style striker who can constantly run in behind the defence and yet we always leave Chicha out. Is he as good as the others mentioned? No. Is it a bad thing to have the option of playing this type of striker instead of persisting with long balls to Fellaini and Rooney as we did last season? No.

If he can build confidence and regain his finishing, I can't see why Memphis, Young, Mata, Januzaj, Herrera and all the others can't produce enough chances for him to bag a load of goals. I also personally think his build up play nowadays is massively underrated. Watch him closely and you can clearly see elements of both Rooney and RVP in his build up and the way he takes the ball with his first touch.

Does it really matter that much if Hernandez' build-up play isn't as good as Lewandowski and Benzema? His movement is very clever and on par with every other striker in the world and adding to that he works just as hard as every other striker. You could see against Atletico that he was very hard to man-mark for the Atletico defenders and therefore caused them quite some problems. Obviously Hernandez is not on the same level as Benzema for example but he isn't as shit as other people make him out to be IMO. At the end of the day goals need to be scored and if Hernandez provides that with his finishing, workrate and movement then it doesn't matter a lot if he can't dribble or pass as good as other strikers.
Agree with everything you have said. Sadly, on the CAF, we have a tendency to trash our own players. Hernandez didn't play well under Moyes. In this he was no different than anyone else in our squad. For some reason though, many of our fans will forgive poor performances from others but not Hernandez.

I saw Chico in the Gold Cup before injured and he looked sharp. I watched him for Madrid at the tail end of last year, and with a shot of confidence on his side he looked like his old self again. For all the reasons you have described he could be a key weapon for us this season. Despite this many fans will continue to say Hernandez is rubbish. You would not think that over the past three years Rooney had only scored 13 times more than Chicharito would you?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Is he still injured?
No. He's been snapped in training games on United's official twitter feed.
Yes he is. He broke his collar bone. He can move about but he won't be involved in any sorts of challenges. Running and light training is fine. Not 100% quite yet given the time since he was injured unless his bones heal particularly fast.

Shimo

Thing with Chicha is it really depends on LVG and how he gets the team playing. Last season, one of my frustrations was we hardly played through balls or got enough balls into the box. LVG had said he doesn't care for his strikers to touch the ball but, if we are not creating chances then it's like we are playing with 10 men and that was often the case last year.

Chicha will score goals but, it will require chances being created for him from out wide and balls over the top/through. He isn't going to be one to create his own or really help in creating for others.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
So when the stats prove he is, in fact, a 'prolific striker' you change the definition of what a 'prolific striker' is to suit your argument? Bravo. If we're going to compare him to our main striker, why don't we knock off penalty goals, free kick goals and any goal that wasn't the deciding goal from Rooney's tallies then? He's definitely padded his record out with hat tricks against the likes of Wigan, Newcastle and Bolton. We'll see how 'prolific' Rooney is under those conditions.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Remember that MNF video Neville did after the City game calling it tactically Rooney's best game in a United shirt in a while because he kept the two center backs occupied? Hernandez does that all the time and his movement is excellent. I hope he gets afforded a full opportunity this season before Van Gaal decides one way or the other about him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If we're not going to buy anyone, he needs to be given a chance. We cannot go into the new season so short upfront, it would be madness.

Hope he gets a chance because i believe the extra goals from the backups could be the difference this season. We didnt score enough last year.

Water Melon

Chicha is not a complete striker like Henry, but his movement inside of opposition's box is fantastic. He also showed that he can be lethal playing for United. I hope that LvG gives him a chance, as I am sure that The Little Pea will do his best to prove his worth.

Rednotdead

So when the stats prove he is, in fact, a 'prolific striker' you change the definition of what a 'prolific striker' is to suit your argument? Bravo. If we're going to compare him to our main striker, why don't we knock off penalty goals, free kick goals and any goal that wasn't the deciding goal from Rooney's tallies then? He's definitely padded his record out with hat tricks against the likes of Wigan, Newcastle and Bolton. We'll see how 'prolific' Rooney is under those conditions.
So why was he never first choice here? Why didn't RM want to keep him? Looks like everyone has missed out on a "prolific" striker then. Or maybe just not.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
So why was he never first choice here? Why didn't RM want to keep him? Looks like everyone has missed out on a "prolific" striker then. Or maybe just not.
Because he isn't a complete striker which teams of our stature require with the way the game is played now. However, he is extremely useful to have as a rotation option.

If you think Hernandez's not up to it why don't you tweet Rio, a former world class defender who had to play against him weekly in training, and ask why he rates Chico so highly?

Rio's played against some all time great centre forwards, yet he's been willing to stick his neck out and say Chico has the best in the box movement in the world and could score 25 goals for United. If you think that's such an idiotic thing to say why not challenge Rio on it and see how he responds?

Revan

Assumptionman

He was quite good (when played) for Madrid last season, but despite having been their best player in a few games he got immediately benched when Benzema came back (similar to how Isco got benched when Bale came back from injury).

Under Moyes, Herandez was woeful but so was the entire team. Wouldn't read much on it.

Woodzy

I really think it is halting our progression as a club if we keep him. We need something fresh and exciting up front. I bloody love Hernandez but his time is done, especially when the likes of Nani and Rafael didn't get their chances with LvG either.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I really think it is halting our progression as a club if we keep him. We need something fresh and exciting up front. I bloody love Hernandez but his time is done, especially when the likes of Nani and Rafael didn't get their chances with LvG either.
Why's it halting our progression? I don't view Hernandez as a particularly remarkable player or anything, but I don't see what harm keeping him around for another season will do when we're ridiculously short on strikers. Even if we sign another one, we'll probably still need Hernandez to make up the numbers.