Javier Hernandez

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What about skill, flair and imagination? You do talk some nonsense.
Yeah, Berba proved really useful to have around.

We had a myraid number of successful forwards in the past years all with different characteristics. Despite that all gave their heart to the team and all had enough pace to keep with the high tempo of the team. Berba slows us down and to add insult to injury his finishing is a let down. We cant just stick him upfront and make all the team work for him because we wouldnt be able to score enough goals in that way. I hope that Im wrong but I believe that Berba had taken the same path of Veron another player (whom unlike Berba he was a world class talent) whose game was too different from ours to succeed at OT.

datura

Yeah, Berba proved really useful to have around.

We had a myraid number of successful forwards in the past years all with different characteristics. Despite that all gave their heart to the team and all had enough pace to keep with the high tempo of the team. Berba slows us down and to add insult to injury his finishing is a let down. We cant just stick him upfront and make all the team work for him because we wouldnt be able to score enough goals in that way. I hope that Im wrong but I believe that Berba had taken the same path of Veron another player (whom unlike Berba he was a world class talent) whose game was too different from ours to succeed at OT.
I don't really get your point? No one is arguing that he hasn't been a disappointment but to say his type of player is against the characteristics of the club is clearly wrong.

Playing at a high tempo does not exclusively require pace. It's to do with quick passing, movement etc.

Anyway, these debates have been done to the death and the thread is supposed to be about Hernandez so let's get back on topic.

devilish

I don't really get your point? No one is arguing that he hasn't been a disappointment but to say his type of player is against the characteristics of the club is clearly wrong.

Playing at a high tempo does not exclusively require pace. It's to do with quick passing, movement etc.

Anyway, these debates have been done to the death and the thread is supposed to be about Hernandez so let's get back on topic.
Quick passing is pretty much pointless when you're a lone striker involved in a quick counter. The striker needs to be in the box, at the right time and at the right place and he needs to be able to score the goals. That is what is expected by him.

Shimo

Will he take part of the preseason matches or will he be given an extended holiday period ?
SAF said he'll play in the match against his former club. When he talked about giving players a rest, he said Chicharito is still young and can probably handle coming back earlier than the rest.

Am hoping though they play him in Houston - the crowds for the Dynamo game are supposedly predominantly latin, so there may be interest for them to see him in a United shirt there.

As for Berbatov and lone striker, it wasn't ideal last season. He did well in a couple games and in others he didn't. The decision to play Rooney as a lone striker was ridiculed last season, heck even when we played 2 strikers and Rooney was the one playing higher up the pitch people were moaning about it. It wasn't until he got a consistent run in the role did he start producing.

Berbatov was rather thrown into the role and didn't do as terrible as people made it out to be. It wasn't just him that failed us on those days, it was the team performances.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Normally we give the players 28 days' rest but in the case of Hernandez we'll bring him to Philadelphia as soon as his games with Mexico are finished. The simple reason is he's young and I think he can handle coming in for training but, more importantly, it's for him to integrate into the squad because he doesn't know any of the players.
FIFA.com - Fergie unlikely to spend big

Crustanoid

so : Chicarito -- Rooney
Park --- Berbatov ----Valencia
Evra ------Fletcher ------Rafael
Rio -----Vidic
VDS

(when we're chasing for a goal)
Why is everyone crowding to the left side of the pitch? And why is VDS standing over by the corner flag? Surely that's not going to be great when the opposition are steaming towards our goal, through Fletcher and our left-of-centre central defence

DocRockter

Why is everyone crowding to the left side of the pitch? And why is VDS standing over by the corner flag? Surely that's not going to be great when the opposition are steaming towards our goal, through Fletcher and our left-of-centre central defence

Because that way we don't lose the ball once and we luring the opposition and score the goal we need..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Quick passing is pretty much pointless when you're a lone striker involved in a quick counter. The striker needs to be in the box, at the right time and at the right place and he needs to be able to score the goals. That is what is expected by him.
Was Teddy Sheringham quick?

You don't half talk bollocks sometimes.

Godfather

Quick forwards isn't something we're used too. Solskjær and Yorke weren't quick. Cole wouldn't be considered it either. It has never hindered us.
It didn't hinder us as our football was completely different to the way we play now. Comparing those two styles is about as dumb as what devilish claimed.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Cole, Sheringham, Yorke and Solskjaer all had brilliant movement off the ball if I remember. Plus all except Sheringham weren't "slow". Sheringham had the added advantage of a brilliant brain as well as strong in the air which proves useful as a striker.

UnitedRoadRed

It was the pace over five yards which gave Ole and Andy such an advantage - looks like Javi has that same turn of pace. It does make me wonder how Berbatov fits into the equation because he can hold the ball up so well and has a great first touch.

devilish

Was Teddy Sheringham quick?

You don't half talk bollocks sometimes.
Teddy acted mainly as cover for the main strikers (Cole and Yorke) and was brought in, in key situations when experience was needed on the pitch (a sort of quick fix to help us in the transaction period between Cantona and the rest).

The Physio

Teddy acted mainly as cover for the main strikers (Cole and Yorke) and was brought in, in key situations when experience was needed on the pitch (a sort of quick fix to help us in the transaction period between Cantona and the rest).
Bollocks he was. Pfa and fwa player of the year in 2001? Stop talking shit for once.

Claymore

Quick forwards isn't something we're used too. Solskjær and Yorke weren't quick. Cole wouldn't be considered it either. It has never hindered us.

Yorke wasn't quick no but Cole definitely was. I always thought thats why they complimented each other so well, that Yorke was more creative/technical and Cole was the pace (getting on too also helped). Cole was awesome for us.

devilish

Bollocks he was. Pfa and fwa player of the year in 2001? Stop talking shit for once.
We are talking here throughout his career at United and not for a particular season in question. The 2 seasons before that he scored 5 goals and 6 goals hardly the record of a first teamer isn't it? The season after the 2001 one he left for Spurs.

Anyway Teddy had great attitude, brains, positioning and work rate. He never looked out of place at United. No wonder why he kept playing at top flight level for so long. You can't say the same about Berba Im afraid.

devilish

Yorke wasn't quick no but Cole definitely was. I always thought thats why they complimented each other so well, that Yorke was more creative/technical and Cole was the pace (getting on too also helped). Cole was awesome for us.
Yorke may not have been a Usian Bolt but he was much quicker then Berba.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I think Sheringham could have given Berba a race, actually that's going a bit too far, Berba is about as fast as Cantona when he actually tries to run.

Sheringham vs Pique on the other hand.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
There's rumors that he may be loaned to Valencia. I'm not sure I believe them. I would think it would be easier to get him experience by simply leaving him at Chivas for another year. I suppose Valencia is a step up and with Villa and Silva gone he'd definitely get a lot of time to play in a tougher league, but I'd honestly like to see what our coaches can do with him first rather than immediately loan him out.

Kelvin

Manchester United new boy Hernandez linked with quick switch to Valencia

Spanish newspaper Marca is today suggesting that 'complications' with Manchester United's new boy Javier Hernandez' transfer has have sprang up.

The Spanish daily, never ones to hold back when stirring things up, have a list of issues ranging from agent activity to work permit problems......and a potential move to La Liga before August is out.

Marca, as ever, have just put two and two together and came up with a steak pie.

Not for one second is IBWM suggesting there is anything untoward with Hernandez' transfer to Old Trafford - Manchester United have stated categorically that the player belongs to Manchester United - but Marca has a whiff of blood and has put cash strapped Valencia in for the striker, albeit on loan.

Whether United had envisaged any such problems is not yet known but this looks interesting.

pure bollocks.

datura

It appears that Valencia were in for him before we closed the deal. Other (unconfirmed) rumours that AC were also in for him.

SAFs comments about bringing him on the US tour to integrate him immediately into the first team appear to indicate that he is in the plans for the current season, rather than being loaned out.

RonaldoVII

Yeah. Work permit was secured before the WC and he officially became a United player the other day. I call bollocks. I don't think he's one to go out on loan considering what he has shown in the World Cup against good opponents and Fergie has said he is impressed.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Story in NOTW, carrying quotes:

HERNANDEZ WANTS TO SNUB VALENCIA MOVE

JAVIER HERNANDEZ has pleaded with Sir Alex Ferguson to give him a chance to stake his claim for a place at Manchester United.

The Mexican marksman impressed at the World Cup but the competition for a striking spot is intense at Old Trafford - particularly if Ferguson persists with a formation that relies on only one out-and-out attacker.

Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov, Michael Owen, Federico Macheda, Mame Biram Diouf and Danny Welbeck are all on United's books.

It has led to Valencia bidding to take Hernandez on loan for the season after losing David Silva and David Villa.

The Spanish club were pipped to his signature by United when they acted swiftly to tie up a deal before the tournament in South Africa got underway.

But they still want the man nicknamed 'Chicarito' and there has been talk they were willing to consider taking him as a sweetener for Silva joining the Red Devils.

Instead, Silva has signed for neighbours Manchester City and Hernandez is determined to force his way into the deposed champions' starting line-up rather than heading out on loan.

"What I want is to play," begged Hernandez. "I hope to have the opportunity to show myself at Manchester United, one of the biggest teams in the world.

"I'm going to report with them in July and I look forward to a new stage in my career.

"I've been devoted to the national team. Some people are aware of this [the possibility of a loan] and I will learn more in the coming hours and make a decision.

"But my priority is to earn a place with Manchester United."

The striker's father, also Javier Hernandez, has explained that an exit will only be considered if his son's route to the first-team is blocked.

"His desire is to play in Manchester's shirt next season and a departure would only be not too bad if he doesn't get many minutes at Old Trafford," said his father.
Why would we even consider sending him out on loan for a season? If anybody needs to be shipped out it's berbaflop. Relying on crock owen to last an entire season would be wishful thinking as well. Hernandez had proven he has the talent, and needs to spend his first season at OT trying to improve and take chances when given.

Really would be a strange decision to loan him out immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.