Jeremie Frimpong

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevilz007

By all accounts, if Frimpong arrives, AWB departs.
No
As Frimpong would be an upgrade on Dalot.

AWB has shown more progress than Dalot, and when we need a shut down player, AWB has done the job. If AWB was there against St Maximin, the game would have been different.

Having Frimpong and Dalot on the other hand, they’re more in the same mould, whereas AWB would offer something different.

Widow

So not the big upgrade then
Every time I watch him he looks like a very busy guy, loads of energy. He has a good turn of pace but needs work with his final pass and the defencive side of his game. He could be the player that helps Antony though, his overlapping runs at pace could cause havoc or at the least create space.

croadyman

Every time I watch him he looks like a very busy guy, loads of energy. He has a good turn of pace but needs work with his final pass and the defencive side of his game. He could be the player that helps Antony though, his overlapping runs at pace could cause havoc or at the least create space.
That's a positive

dubplate warrior

From what I can see he would improve our attacking game a lot. Would be the quickest player and one of the best dribblers in the team. More importantly other parts of the team may click as a result. Whoever is on the right would benefit and have more space, we'd be able to progress the ball well up the pitch much better.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
From what I can see he would improve our attacking game a lot. Would be the quickest player and one of the best dribblers in the team. More importantly other parts of the team may click as a result. Whoever is on the right would benefit and have more space, we'd be able to progress the ball well up the pitch much better.
Antony will benefit a lot

redcucumber

No

AWB has shown more progress than Dalot, and when we need a shut down player, AWB has done the job. If AWB was there against St Maximin, the game would have been different.

Having Frimpong and Dalot on the other hand, they’re more in the same mould, whereas AWB would offer something different.
The only reports I've seen regarding the situation since ten Hag joined have been on AWB leaving, both in the summer when he joined and in the past few weeks.

Brophs

The One and Only
Realistically, ETH wants a better right back than either of the ones he has. I imagine he’d prefer to move on AWB and have two full backs that suit his system but that depends on there being a buyer for AWB, which is at least more likely now than before he was exiled. If not, I imagine he’d be okay with Dalot leaving for a decent fee and retaining AWB as backup l.

Cassidy

The only reports I've seen regarding the situation since ten Hag joined have been on AWB leaving, both in the summer when he joined and in the past few weeks.
AWB would have started against Newcastle if fit. Reporters peddling rumours from the summer (when he clearly wasn’t in the plans) doesn’t really mean much.

If ETH would play him ahead of Dalot in such an important game, that is telling

Red00012

Whoever commands the bigger fee I’d be letting go , not bothered about either if I’m honest. Promote Laird and sell the 2 of then even.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No

That doesn't change the fact that the reports have been that AWB will be the one to leave, from the very start of ETH's reign right up to yesterday.

Also, your point assumes that a manager would want his fullbacks to offer wildly different things. When in reality there are obviously certain qualities a manager would want both his fullback options to have so the style of play isn't disrupted when they swap in and out of the team.

For example, at no point is ETH going to think "normally I want my RB to be good at playing out from the back, but today I want someone who is weak at it". Just as a manager like Guardiola doesn't have squad players fundamentally at odds with his preferred style of play, even if they offer different things within that. You need a coherent squad who are all suited to the same style of football.

Last edited:

Cassidy

AWB would have started against Newcastle if fit. Reporters peddling rumours from the summer (when he clearly wasn’t in the plans) doesn’t really mean much.

I would if we could let both go, Dalot would be on a free however.
Malacia can play RB. Id bring in 2 fullbacks one that can double up at lb if possible. Laird can’t stay fit so hes not an option.

Not realistic though unfortunately so I guess we need to pray Shaw doesn’t revert to type and/or Malacia kicks on

redcucumber

The rumours have been from the summer as well as the past few days. Reporters from The Athletic were the ones with the story/rumour whatever. So, it's hardly a one off.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No

Dalot pre World Cup vs Bissaka post World Cup. If I have to pick which one, Dalot pre World Cup all day as Dalot was one of our best player pre World Cup. Some players might need more time to regain their form back after months of injuries.

Marwood

This looks like the first summer window goer judging by the relatively reliable source it came from.

And to add to those concerns over ‘City happily let him go so is he that good?’, City let Zinchenko and Jesus go to Arsenal which could potentially feck them in the league over the next two months. They aren’t the all-seeing geniuses people think they are and they’re going to look pretty stupid if they don’t finish 1st and handed Arsenal’s two biggest signings to them for a total of £75m.
Agree.

It's not like City have a great record with defenders and particularly fullbacks. They've chewed through quite a few.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If he signs this means Dalot will not renew.
As per The Athletic as recently as yesterday:

Aaron Wan-Bissaka has done well in the second part of this season but United will listen to offers for him should there be interest. Talks are ongoing over a new contract for Diogo Dalot, who also plays the position
There's zero reason to think our preference would be to keep AWB and let Dalot leave for free versus keeping Dalot and selling AWB.

Rolaholic

Selling AWB and extending Dalot only to add an attacking RB would be a shame.

AWB offers much more tactical flexibility in the side and Dalot's form has gone off a cliff post-WC/Ronaldo exit and hasn't looked close to coming back.

At least you know what you're getting with AWB and hes got clearly defined strengths unlike Dalot who isn't particular great at anything moving forward while being poor defensively

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

There's zero reason to think our preference would be to keep AWB and let Dalot leave for free versus keeping Dalot and selling AWB.
But wont signing another Right back a sign that at least one of the above would leave?

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's possible Ten hag doesn't want a defensive fullback - Awb and attacking fullback - Frimpong as his options and would prefer a full back that can tuck in - Dalot or overlap - Frimpong

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It's possible Ten hag doesn't want a defensive fullback - Awb and attacking fullback - Frimpong as his options and would prefer a full back that can tuck in - Dalot or overlap - Frimpong
Didnt use defensive fullbacks at Ajax.

Antony would benefit greatly from Frimpong, tremendously. Antony is good with cutting inside but also linking up with overlapping full backs. Neither AWB nor Dalot are good at that, making his predictability a bigger issue.

Blood Mage

He's lightning quick and would give us a much needed injection of pace. Dalot and AWB are backup RBs at best and one of them needs to leave in the summer.

Salford_Red83

AWB is the better defender, much better than Dalot. That is reason enough to think our preference would be to keep him and add Frimpong.

Cassidy

The rumours have been from the summer as well as the past few days. Reporters from The Athletic were the ones with the story/rumour whatever. So, it's hardly a one off.
Point was rumours from the summer may no longer be applicable

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I’m really not convinced that EtH likes either of them (AWB or Dalot). If we got Frimpong and replaced Maguire or Lindelof with Timber, Timber would be an option at both RB as an inverted fullback and at CB. I would leave us with seven defenders.

LB: Shaw/Malacia
LCB: Martinez/Shaw/Lindelof
RCB: Varane/Timber/Lindelof
RB: Frimpong/Timber

Due to the versatile of several players, it should be fine.

croadyman

I’m really not convinced that EtH likes either of them (AWB or Dalot). If we got Frimpong and replaced Maguire or Lindelof with Timber, Timber would be an option at both RB as an inverted fullback and at CB. I would leave us with seven defenders.

LB: Shaw/Malacia
LCB: Martinez/Shaw/Lindelof
RCB: Varane/Timber/Lindelof
RB: Frimpong/Timber

Due to the versatile of several players, it should be fine.
Yeah Timber's versatility would be valuable

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
AWB is the better defender, much better than Dalot. That is reason enough to think our preference would be to keep him and add Frimpong.
Even accepting that's true, Dalot is better in posssession and in offence. That would also be reason enough to think our preference would be to keep him and add Frimpong.

The difference being that the reports throughout the season have been that we're looking to keep Dalot and let AWB go, not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.