Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
ooooooh jeremy corbyn.

It really is impressive to be trailing somebody with all the baggage and issues of Boris - and amongst all age groups - and in all regions - fair play to corbyn he said he wanted to unite the country and he seems to be doing exactly that
In terms of how they're handling Brexit, net satisfaction rating: Johnson (-9), Farage (-23), Swinson (-33), Corbyn (-57).

In terms of whether the candidate "tells the truth in general": Johnson 22%, Corbyn 19%

In terms of whether the candidate "tells the truth about Brexit": Johnson 23%, Corbyn 15%

65% of Leave voters are satisfied with Johnson's approach, 66% of remain voters are dissatisfied with Corbyn's approach.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en...-approach-brexit-corbyns-majority-see-no-deal

I certainly hope polling is as meaningless as Corbyn supporters often seem to claim, because that all looks pretty grim in the context of an approaching general election against a government who should by now have already proven themselves beyond doubt to be both inept and dishonest.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
In terms of how they're handling Brexit, net satisfaction rating: Johnson (-9), Farage (-23), Swinson (-33), Corbyn (-57).

In terms of whether the candidate "tells the truth in general": Johnson 22%, Corbyn 19%

In terms of whether the candidate "tells the truth about Brexit": Johnson 23%, Corbyn 15%

65% of Leave voters are satisfied with Johnson's approach, 66% of remain voters are dissatisfied with Corbyn's approach.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en...-approach-brexit-corbyns-majority-see-no-deal

I certainly hope polling is as meaningless as Corbyn supporters often seem to claim, because that all looks pretty grim in the context of an approaching general election against a government who should by now have already proven themselves beyond doubt to be both inept and dishonest.
shambolic

DavidDeSchmikes

:eek:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Corbyn is utterly unelectable.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He did not enter an ideal situation but let's be honest...it's been a shitshow.

DFreshKing

I thought the consensus here was Corbyn or Swinson have a chance of taking power from the Tories. Surley the fact that everyone has changed their minds and now want to cancel Brexit would me mean Swinson and Corbyn should be out in front?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
The thing I really don't get on that poll is how Boris is -9 for brexit handling and Swinson is -33. You'd think they'd be roughly the same wouldn't you?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Erm they would have to get him elected as an mp first unless I'm mistaken... But I think the leader has to be in the commons
How long would that take? 5 days? A week? I'm joking off course but the only Labour candidate that is shining in some sort of charge right now and isn't accused of racism is Sadiq. Maybe they're saving him for later.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
How long would that take? 5 days? A week? I'm joking off course but the only Labour candidate that is shining in some sort of charge right now and isn't accused of racism is Sadiq. Maybe they're saving him for later.
Well given he is running for a second term as mayor I'd guess about five years for him to serve that term then stand in a subsequent by election or wait till the next general election

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Oh look, another meaningless and almost certainly inaccurate poll. One more to put on the pile. I'm still waiting for the unprecedented Tory majority that was apparently inexorable at the last election...

The idea that more people aged 18-24 would support Johnson as a PM over Corbyn is beyond ludicrous. If we had an election where only people in that age group could vote, there is not a single rational minded person in the country who could sincerely believe the result would be anything other than an overwhelming Labour victory. So are we really to believe that the majority of young Labour voters support the party in spite of Corbyn/believe Johnson to nevertheless be a better PM? It's such an untenable position to hold that I question what validity that YouGov poll holds. None at all is my conclusion.

NWRed

Oh look, another meaningless and almost certainly inaccurate poll. One more to put on the pile. I'm still waiting for the unprecedented Tory majority that was apparently inexorable at the last election...

The idea that more people aged 18-24 would support Johnson as a PM over Corbyn is beyond ludicrous. If we had an election where only people in that age group could vote, there is not a single rational minded person in the country who could sincerely believe the result would be anything other than an overwhelming Labour victory. So are we really to believe that the majority of young Labour voters support the party in spite of Corbyn/believe Johnson to nevertheless be a better PM? It's such an untenable position to hold that I question what validity that YouGov poll holds. None at all is my conclusion.
During the campaign people changed their minds, this was reflected in the polling too, with the Tory lead narrowing significantly during the last 3/4 weeks of the campaign until the actual day when they won the national vote by 2.5%, slightly less than the polling averages would have predicted but well within the error margin and exactly what you'd expect in a tightening race. The polls didn't get it wrong, they tracked a tightening race pretty well, albeit a few days behind due to the delay between the poll being conducted and the results released. Overall they were pretty good on average.

Calling something ludicrous without evidence because it doesn't confirm what you already believe is absurd. Find some evidence to the contrary. BTW it isn't ludicrous at all given the way the young feel about Brexit and Corbyn's current ambivalence toward and historical hostility to the EU. It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Swinson or Starmer was far more popular with 18-24 year olds, with Johnson being popular with the much smaller number of young leavers.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
His personal polling has never been good nothing new here is there? He performs better in a campaign and his policies more so.
Better in a campaign has a sample size of 1. Whether he can repeat that trick and convince people who backed him last time but now appear to not like or trust him to swing back a second time is still very much up for debate.

His polling is beyond awful. Considering we’ve had 9 years of Tory bad government and the whole Brexit debacle, and a current PM currently on corruption investigation, Corbyn doing that badly is jaw dropping. It’s the worst polling I’ve ever seen from a major party leader.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The thing I really don't get on that poll is how Boris is -9 for brexit handling and Swinson is -33. You'd think they'd be roughly the same wouldn't you?
Revoke was a major misstep. The Lib Dems had done an amazing job of becoming the party for all Remainers, and then she went and poured ice cold water on the enthusiasm of all the Remainers who believed a second referendum was the only logical solution to the countries divide.

Smores

Better in a campaign has a sample size of 1. Whether he can repeat that trick and convince people who backed him last time but now appear to not like or trust him to swing back a second time is still very much up for debate.

His polling is beyond awful. Considering we’ve had 9 years of Tory bad government and the whole Brexit debacle, and a current PM currently on corruption investigation, Corbyn doing that badly is jaw dropping. It’s the worst polling I’ve ever seen from a major party leader.
The whole brexit debacle is supposed to make a Labour leader more popular? Yeah okay then.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
super saturday...
I believe the benn act says if no new deal the theresa mays deal should be put back to the commons
if they tag on a confirmatory referendum to that and labour are backing it then that would surely have the votes
Would seem logical but Im sure corbyn will gash it up between now and Saturday somehow

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The whole brexit debacle is supposed to make a Labour leader more popular? Yeah okay then.
A problem created by Tories, completely bungled by Tories at every step for the last 3 years, and which has led to us now having our 3rd Tory PM since the referendum purely because of this one issue.

Yes, I think a competent Labour leader could have taken advantage of that.

lsd

The Oracle
A problem created by Tories, completely bungled by Tories at every step for the last 3 years, and which has led to us now having our 3rd Tory PM since the referendum purely because of this one issue.

It really is one of the biggest failures iv known . In a time when the tories have been in total disarray the country in chaos yet Labour have still managed to be so incompetent and inept they have no chance of gaining power .

Corbyn has been a massive disaster for the party and us all .

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Would seem logical but Im sure corbyn will gash it up between now and Saturday somehow
"Comrades! We now have an agreement we can put to the people! And given that we love the people, that is exactly what we will do with this vote today! Of course we just need to add a few amendments, so the bill before the house will now include the responsibility of every citizen to sing The Red Flag before every working shift and the House of Commons will now be known as the Friends of Palestine Working People's Bureau. Oh and no Jews.."

Smores

Do tell who is this messiah that brings the split voter base of leavers and remainers together in unity? Why haven't they done this through all the other routes available?

It's an absolute nonsense to suggest that brexit wouldn't be damaging to the Labour party under another leader. It's a fundamental issue that splits the electorate and I've yet to see any political analysis that shows otherwise.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
"Comrades! We now have an agreement we can put to the people! And given that we love the people, that is exactly what we will do with this vote today! Of course we just need to add a few amendments, so the bill before the house will now include the responsibility of every citizen to sing The Red Flag before every working shift and the House of Commons will now be known as the Friends of Palestine Working People's Bureau. Oh and no Jews.."
dont be silly - he needs the jews as forced labour to build the "re-education" camps to kill the blairites first...
On a serious note with a million plus people expected to me marching in westminister for a peoples vote that day and an amendable motion before the house I think labour risk loosing even more of the remain vote to the libs if they dont back a 2nd referendum - I know this potential does not help them in some leave constituencies but I honestly think it will pretty much break the party if he tries to whip the majority of his MP's against a deal (boris deal or mays deal) vs remain.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Do tell who is this messiah that brings the split voter base of leavers and remainers together in unity? Why haven't they done this through all the other routes available?

It's an absolute nonsense to suggest that brexit wouldn't be damaging to the Labour party under another leader. It's a fundamental issue that splits the electorate and I've yet to see any political analysis that shows otherwise.
Of course is was going to be difficult and damaging. But the whole point is that it was difficult and damaging for the Tories too, and it was their fault!

I'm beyond sick of hearing how no-one could have done any better than Jeremy has. Do you genuinely believe that? You really, really believe that there was literally no way that Labour could be doing better than 25% in polling with their leader polling worse than any major UK leader in history after all these years of absolute Tory feckups and failures?

How utterly shit do you think Labour actually are, if thats the pathetic level of expectation you have for them?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Of course is was going to be difficult and damaging. But the whole point is that it was difficult and damaging for the Tories too, and it was their fault!

I'm beyond sick of hearing how no-one could have done any better than Jeremy has. Do you genuinely believe that? You really, really believe that there was literally no way that Labour could be doing better than 25% in polling with their leader polling worse than any major UK leader in history after all these years of absolute Tory feckups and failures?

How utterly shit do you think Labour actually are, if thats the pathetic level of expectation you have for them?
If those pesky Jews weren’t sabotaging from within, Corbyn would be prime minister by now.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If those pesky Jews weren’t sabotaging from within, Corbyn would be prime minister by now.
hummm,,, he needs a solution.... one that will finally end this issue...
on a serious note if he is still leader by the time the EHRC report comes out i suspect he is going to be (metaphorically and ironically) crucified

The question mark over him has always been 'is he a leader?'.

In the last election it had never really been put to the test. He's now had 3 years of government turmoil to say something, anything, to make him sound remotely capable of doing a better job than the current lot, and he's completely and utterly bottled it. There were a lot of people who voted for him because they were tired of austerity and he was something new and fresh, despite having doubts over him. I don't see them turning back to him now he's proven those doubts were correct.

Sweet Square

nickm

Oh look, another meaningless and almost certainly inaccurate poll. One more to put on the pile. I'm still waiting for the unprecedented Tory majority that was apparently inexorable at the last election....
It's over for Corbyn. Admit it.

stepic

Corbyn has fecked himself by not coming out straight away and making Labour a remain/2nd referendum party right from the off. instead he's bumbled along criticising the government but not really making a stand himself (which is what attracted young people to him in the first place). it's partly because he is a euroskeptic himself, so it really hasn't been the best dividing issue for him to deal with. but if he had of come out strong against the government's pro-brexit stance, he would have had a far better chance than he does now in a GE (which is nil).

Sweet Square

Corbyn has fecked himself by not coming out straight away and making Labour a remain/2nd referendum party right from the off. instead he's bumbled along criticising the government but not really making a stand himself (which is what attracted young people to him in the first place). it's partly because he is a euroskeptic himself, so it really hasn't been the best dividing issue for him to deal with. but if he had of come out strong against the government's pro-brexit stance, he would have had a far better chance than he does now in a GE (which is nil).
He needed some Labour leavers to get the result in 2017(And still needs them in any future election). Being for 2nd referendum right after the result in 2016 wouldn't have worked.

Also being pro remain/2nd referendum isn't actually that popular a position.

nickm

It really is one of the biggest failures iv known . In a time when the tories have been in total disarray the country in chaos yet Labour have still managed to be so incompetent and inept they have no chance of gaining power .

Corbyn has been a massive disaster for the party and us all .
Yet Labour would still rather go into this election with Corbyn, lose it, and let us all suffer for another 4-5 years, than do the decent thing and ditch him now. Never known such a narcissistic party.

nickm

He needed some Labour leavers to get the result in 2017(And still needs them in any future election). Being for 2nd referendum right after the result in 2016 wouldn't have worked.

Also being pro remain/2nd referendum isn't actually that popular a position.
Maybe it would be if someone had been advocating for it?