Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I'm Conservative but I'd vote for Labour if they promised to stay in the EU.

It just is that important.
Yeah, I think if any party offered a second referendum, they'd get a lot of votes.

In fact, if you run on that and are voted in, you could merely overturn the referendum with your election mandate.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm Conservative but I'd vote for Labour if they promised to stay in the EU.

It just is that important.
Some may, most won't. And if Labour were promising to overturn the referendum result, their support would completely tank in the north.
You know what it means.

Corbyn has a mandate received on taking Labour back to its roots. Has he delivered? Up to now it's been a dissappointment but when the guy is constantly undermined by his own MPs there is a clear flaw in Labour ideology.
I know what the term means, it's people that were loyal to Blair and still seek to implement his mode of politics. There are about 40 left in the PLP. Brownites are far more prevalent, and just as if not more involved in the current scheme than the Blairites.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The one MP who I think could beat him in a leadership election is Andy Burnham - second in the last one. I think he's the least self-interested out of the possible names. Hilary Benn has let his father down on the Syria vote and Corbyn was close to his father. This Hilary has no popularity with members.

Obviously they want a resignation rather than have to go into an election of which Corbyn will likely win again. Members want no more Blairites but the party is full of them. How can Corbyn work with this? Either he does a trojan horse - appease to his party to get in power and then revert to his genuine views or he quits. Either way his leadership has done one good thing - expose the fundamental flaws in the Labour party. Reform is needed ASAP or their popularity will continue to sink.
As much as I may disagree with Benn on certain policies and with some of his politics, I don't see why he's somehow letting his father down by going down a different political route to him.

Ubik

Right, looks like Tom Watson is preparing to do the ousting.

Looking very unlikely Corbyn will survive this.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
The one MP who I think could beat him in a leadership election is Andy Burnham - second in the last one. I think he's the least self-interested out of the possible names. Hilary Benn has let his father down on the Syria vote and Corbyn was close to his father. This Hilary has no popularity with members.

Obviously they want a resignation rather than have to go into an election of which Corbyn will likely win again. Members want no more Blairites but the party is full of them. How can Corbyn work with this? Either he does a trojan horse - appease to his party to get in power and then revert to his genuine views or he quits. Either way his leadership has done one good thing - expose the fundamental flaws in the Labour party. Reform is needed ASAP or their popularity will continue to sink.
That's a hiding to nothing, he's a massive knob.

Ubik

As much as I may disagree with Benn on certain policies and with some of his politics, I don't see why he's somehow letting his father down by going down a different political route to him.
People that say that kind of stuff about Tony Benn betray a complete lack of understanding of the man. Family was everything to him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Apparently Lib Dem membership has soared since referendum. When the dust settles, I will probably be a member too.
Labour will not do anything for the 48% of people that voted to remain. They're conferenced with their base up north who voted overwhelmingly to leave.
The state in which Labour is in now, puts me off. They're finished for the foreseeable future.

Adisa

I know Corbyn has a mandate but if he truly cares about the party, he will resign.
Tom Watson's comment is sot on. Without a working opposition, we could have the most right wing government in this country's recent history.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Apparently Lib Dem membership has soared since referendum. When the dust settles, I will probably be a member too.
Labour will not do anything for the 48% of people that voted to remain. They're conferenced with their base up north who voted overwhelmingly to leave.
The state in which Labour is in now, puts me off. They're finished for the foreseeable future.
Ye I think I'm going to switch too.

Classical Mechanic

I will probably join the Libs too if Corbyn doesn't leave and a credible leader appointed.

Ubik

Falconer gone now too. That really isn't surprising, as he is an actual Blairite.

Adisa

I don't care whether it was deliberate or not but his referendum performance was a disgrace. He betrayed a significant core of his support who wanted to remain.
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
The prime minister's resigned. No-one knows who the next occupant of No 10 will be.

And today, some of the most senior figures in the Labour Party are trying to push their leader out too. There have been concerns about Jeremy Corbyn's performance for months and months. But it was his role, or lack of role, in the campaign to keep the UK in the EU, and his sacking of Hilary Benn in the middle of the night, that has given members of the shadow cabinet the final reasons to quit. Several have already gone; as many as half will be gone by the end of the day, I understand.

And documents passed to the BBC suggest Jeremy Corbyn's office sought to delay and water down the Labour Remain campaign. Sources suggest that they are evidence of "deliberate sabotage".

One email from the leader's office suggests that Mr Corbyn's director of strategy and communications, Seumas Milne, was behind Mr Corbyn's reluctance to take a prominent role in Labour's campaign to keep the UK in the EU. One email, discussing one of the leader's speeches, said it was because of the "hand of Seumas. If he can't kill it, he will water it down so much to hope nobody notices it".

A series of messages dating back to December seen by the BBC shows correspondence between the party leader's office, the Labour Remain campaign and Labour HQ, discussing the European campaign. It shows how a sentence talking about immigration was removed on one occasion and how Mr Milne refused to sign off a letter signed by 200 MPs after it had already been approved.

The documents show concern in Labour HQ and the Labour Remain campaign about Mr Corbyn's commitment to the campaign - one email says: "What is going on here?" Another email from Labour Remain sources to the leader's office complains "there is no EU content here - we agreed to have Europe content in it". Sources say they show the leader's office was reluctant to give full support to the EU campaign and how difficult it was to get Mr Corbyn to take a prominent role.

Mr Corbyn has insisted publicly that he campaigned hard to keep the country in the EU and that he made a number of speeches around the country, and attended many campaigning events. But many shadow cabinet ministers believe his performance in the campaign has shown that he is simply not capable of leading the party. One senior figure told me: "People have just had enough and are embarrassed to be part of it." Jeremy Corbyn's team are adamant that he will stand again for the leadership, and they believe the party's members would back him again.

He has had persuasive and vehement backing from the party's members who he energised last summer. But as the Labour Party reels from Thursday's result, it is not clear that support will be as solid as it was. MPs report that some of their members are contacting them to say they've changed their minds about Mr Corbyn. We'll see. It's possible that within days, both of our two main political parties will be looking for a new leader.

A spokesman for the Labour party said: "The leaks of these emails within the Labour Party are self-evidently politically motivated. This is the action of people who want to de-stabilise the leadership by attempting to demonstrate negative activity in the leader's office.

"The leaks themselves show no such thing, simply demonstrating the views of those whose emails are quoted.

"On the process of letter writing, of course it is normal practice in politics that drafts are amended. Any communications in the name of the Leader of the Labour Party are authorised by the leader's communications team and ultimately by the leader himself .

"Both Jeremy and his team worked hard to deliver his message of remain and reform. Given that the Labour Party was the only party that delivered a majority vote for the remain campaign among its own supporters, the criticisms of Jeremy Corbyn make little sense."

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Some may, most won't. And if Labour were promising to overturn the referendum result, their support would completely tank in the north.
Just like the remain camp underestimated the strength of feeling amongst leave supporters during the campaign, so do you now about the strength of feeling amongst remain supporters. Most of whom are young with minimal political affiliation either way.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Right, looks like Tom Watson is preparing to do the ousting.

Looking very unlikely Corbyn will survive this.
Won't survive Watson turning on him. Looks like he'll go.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Just like the remain camp underestimated the strength of feeling amongst leave supporters during the campaign, so do you now about the strength of feeling amongst remain supporters. Most of whom are young with minimal political affiliation either way.
What Ubik is saying is that Labour voters in previously 'safe' Labour seats voted for Leave. Shows they're already losing a lot of support and to promise to overturn the referendum result would result in losing even more.

Classical Mechanic

Some may, most won't. And if Labour were promising to overturn the referendum result, their support would completely tank in the north
By the time the next election comes round they will have realised (surely) that the Leave campaign promises on immigration were out and out lies.

Ubik

By the time the next election comes round they will have realised (surely) that the Leave campaign promises on immigration were out and out lies.
I think it depends on when the election is, if it's straight after the new Tory leader is installed and before the exit is negotiated, there's nothing to stop them just lying about it again. Plus, whatever Boris and his bunch do, Farage will always be around to stoke anti-immigrant sentiment with whatever UKIP now becomes. It'll be perfect for his "establishment stitch-up" routine.

That's not to say I don't think there's a way for the centre-left to salvage a way forward out of all this, I just think it requires a longer game than purely deciding to ignore the referendum result.

Classical Mechanic

I think it depends on when the election is, if it's straight after the new Tory leader is installed and before the exit is negotiated, there's nothing to stop them just lying about it again. Plus, whatever Boris and his bunch do, Farage will always be around to stoke anti-immigrant sentiment with whatever UKIP now becomes. It'll be perfect for his "establishment stitch-up" routine.

That's not to say I don't think there's a way for the centre-left to salvage a way forward out of all this, I just think it requires a longer game than purely deciding to ignore the referendum result.
There is definitely a big gaping space for a credible 'progressive' party though.

Ubik

He was planning on running for Mayor of Greater Manchester too anyway so even if he doesn't get leadership he probably sees this as best way to appeal himself to voters for when he goes for Mayor. Most of the constituencies in Greater Manchester voted for Leave though but he should still get it.
Yeah, I think this is probably the likeliest explanation actually. By the looks of it, the potential candidates have a meeting with the NEC in the coming days, doubtful he wants to rock the boat.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
What Ubik is saying is that Labour voters in previously 'safe' Labour seats voted for Leave. Shows they're already losing a lot of support and to promise to overturn the referendum result would result in losing even more.
Give it 4 months as the fallout of Brexit really bites and many of those will no longer be leavers.

In order to wrestle back control from Conservatives after so long in the deep wilderness I think Labour'd do what it takes.

Ubik

There is definitely a big gaping space for a credible 'progressive' party though.
Absolutely, just think it's hard to see how we get to it with the current state of the party system. Realignments do happen in politics and this referendum is a big enough event to trigger one, but it would be difficult to put together and even more difficult to prevent breaking apart. We'll have to wait and see I suppose, first step is for Labour to actually become a credible alternative government...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The disconnect between leadership (and other potential leadership) and the base is huge in Labour, bigger than for the UKIP, SNP, Lib Dems, and the Conservatives are split within both the base and leadership.

Untied

It sums up all quarters of the Labour Party that on the weekend following David Cameron throwing the hopes and futures of the young and educated in this country under a bus, and then shooting himself in the head, Labour still manages to dominate the headlines by loudly shitting itself to death next to him.

GloryHunter07

The sooner this guy gets the hook, the better. We need a strong opposition party to keep the Tories in check and potentially reverse the madness going on in the country.

Smores

I'm sick of these politicking cnuts within the party, they're no better than Boris. Several of them were prominent members of the remain campaign and clearly failed to win over the Labour voters so I hope they rule themselves out.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
It's an odd situation - it's completely undeniable at this point that Corbyn has no control over the party he leads in parliament. For any other major political party leader in history that is an unsustainable position to be in. It brought Thatcher down. It brought Blair down. It would've brought Brown down if it had got to that stage, but they managed to nip it in the bud (it looks like Corbyn tried to do this with Benn but failed, because Brown at least had a wide support base and highly competent aides).

I'd agree that if Corbyn is blocked from the ballot, it's not good, and I say that as someone who thinks he's an utter disaster. I think the strategy is instead to get him to resign due to his position being untenable.

EDIT - This from Zoe Williams makes me think he really can't survive - https://www.theguardian.com/comment...my-corbyn-labour-remain-election?CMP=soc_3156 - one of the few in the press that would defend him at all times.
Can't see him resigning mainly because he's still got the backing of the unions and the membership. That alone will be enough for him to at least think it's worth carrying on until an early election or worst case be there when the party splits. Have to image(Although it's just a guess on my part) Corbyn and maybe more importantly the Unions(The members will go else where if Corbyn leaves)see this as a battle for the party future and more important than an upcoming election.

If Labour MPs can successfully resign a Left wing(Still think this part is massively important) Labour Leader who recently got elected with one of the biggest mandates in British history and backed heavily by the unions that's quite a win for the MPs and if they can do once then what's stopping them doing it again and again and again.

As for the Zoe Williams article it's decent but guardian writers(Well one but I'm sticking to it as it help my point) have a history of jumping the ship when the going gets tough.

Edit- I said the word important at lot there.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Few people on my twitter suggesting that thats why Labour have moved so fast to oust Corbyn, because he's going to call for war crime charges for Blair.
I think it's playing a part, but in no way wholly responsible. That referendum was a gift to many Labour MPs who've wanted to oust Corbyn since he became leader (more or less).

Have heard he will call for war crime charges as well, though.

Smores

I'd love to know who they think will win back all the disenfranchised voters who voted Leave. These defectors have all been calling them idiots and denying immigration is an issue.

But yeah we need a 'strong' leader who can throw out zingers against the tories at PMQS

Ubik

Shadow attorney general gone now. Another one that was in "core group positive".

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I'd love to know who they think will win back all the disenfranchised voters who voted Leave. These defectors have all been calling them idiots and denying immigration is an issue.

But yeah we need a 'strong' leader who can throw out zingers against the tories at PMQS
They do what every recent center/right Labour MP has done in the past which is to pandering to the disenfranchised voter by saying mildly pointless tough talking statements while appearing slightly xenophobic(Labour immigration coffee cup comes to mind)while at the same time giving a cheeky wink to the center/left which says ''come on you know we don't mean any of this, it's just we have to say to appeal to these idiots to get their votes'', thus appealing to no one.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Few people on my twitter suggesting that thats why Labour have moved so fast to oust Corbyn, because he's going to call for war crime charges for Blair.
If Corbyn really is planning to call for war crime charges then he's a bigger idiot than even I thought.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
This will only disenfranchise the young even further. The one section of society to have solidly backed Remain and still be largely pro-Labour. Not that the alternative is any great shakes, but it's quite genuinely a literal omnishambles now.