Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
All I've seen is an anecdotal story tbf.
I don't want to speak for them, and they may well have changed their minds in which case I apologise and hope they correct me, but Thierry, DOTA and Untied have all mentioned it in the past few days.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's either a genuine grievance or not, and given that many in the PLP are just as enthusiastic about EU membership as folk that voted for Corbyn, I'm not sure why they're unable to feel the same way.

And let's not put this down purely to the shadow cabinet acting out, either. It was started by backbenchers tabling a no confidence motion, which was expected to get support from well over 50% of Labour MPs in the secret ballot on Tuesday, meaning Corbyn would explicitly no longer carry the confidence of Labour MPs. Corbyn pre-empted this by sacking Benn, which then triggered the resignations.

The key point in all of this is what Watson mentioned in his statement earlier - the Labour party needs to be ready to govern immediately. We are potentially months away from another general election. Therefore the question that most people expected to be able to dance around until 2020, namely whether people seriously think the public would vote for Jeremy Corbyn to be Prime Minister, is now paramount. Now, I can understand when people will respond to this by saying there's no-one else that looks like a PM in waiting, either. But I can think of a few that could stand at least a chance, and could at least prevent a grown majority. Either we go for that chance, or roll over and let Boris camp down for the next few years.
There is a fundamental contradiction at the heart of Labour.
It has a constituency in the biggest cities who seem to be be remain (and presumably more liberal) voters. It has a constituency in the north who seem to be leave (and socially conservative) voters. This faultline has been pushed at well in 2010 and 2015, and it has become clear that no matter the economic inclinations of the Labour leadership - from centre-right to left, they are unanimously socially liberal and pro-EU, with the only disparity being how much they are willing to pander to fears of immigration (without actually doing anything about them).
The referendum has exposed the divide completely. If it leads to snap elections, no matter the candidate, the party will have a pro-EU message.* And so close to the referendum, its traditional non-metro voters will notice it and will vote accordingly. Labour will have a historical and potentially fatal defeat. So it would actually be in the centrists' interests to keep Corbyn in, killing off leftist Labour forever.
Labour's best hope right now is the Lib-Lab-Green-SNP alliance, but looking at 2015 votes and referendum results, they would probably still lose to a UKIP-Con coalition (the only uncertainty being due to how much short-term damage Brexit has done).

*Abandoning this position so soon after the referendum will cost them London.

Edit: forgot to add that Labour's biggest recent hero could well be a little more toxic in a week. Great shape in which to be heading into a general election.

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
But I can think of a few that could stand at least a chance, and could at least prevent a grown majority.
Who? Not Benn. Jarvis doesn't want it, and Chukka's too green (and pussied out last time)..

I understand the idea, but it's a gamble that could very well cost Labour even more voters (and at worst, future loyalties) for the sake of placating its politicians. And what's the point of an ideologically saitisfied party with no voters?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I remember Corbyn supporters moaning about the media coverage soon after his election (and ever since), and opponents saying he must do better.
It's worth looking at a few things:
Cameron is pretty decent with the press, and had the support of most major newspapers, as opposed to none for Corbyn. Yet he completely failed to get his point across in the referendum. The talking points of the side supported by the mass-market tabloids became accepted truth.
It is also worth looking at this:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-nearly-everything-survey-shows-8697821.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-nearly-everything-survey-shows-a7074311.html
Which, to me, shows that once the popular media has decided to spread a narrative, it will stick regardless of facts. Hence Ed Miliband eating a sandwich became the face of the elections.

In this situation, and with no immediate prospect of the Sun supporting a liberal Labour leader, the job for communication becomes much harder and must be done outside the press. Don't ask me how though.

Simon Foster: So, this is all going to spin along from here. We're going to have a vote and go to war. We'll fight people, kill them. Our children will get killed. This is exactly the sort of thing that I didn't want to do when I went into politics. This is the opposite of what I wanted to be doing.

Malcolm Tucker: That's why you have to stay in Government, to influence things. In here, you can influence things, you can delay things. Out there, you're just another fecking mouthy, fecking shouty mad fecker who people don't want to make eye contact with. Remember Mary? Remember what happened? She took a stand on health. Everybody decided that she was mental.

Simon Foster: Because The Sun showed a picture of her with wide eyes and her head on a cow.

Malcolm Tucker: Well I happened to find that a particularly powerful image.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Who? Not Benn. Jarvis doesn't want it, and Chukka's too green (and pussied out last time)..

I understand the idea, but it's a gamble that could very well cost Labour even more voters (and at worst, future loyalties) for the sake of placating its politicians. And what's the point of an ideologically saitisfied party with no voters?
Jarvis is definitely open now. Though I'm still unsure on how good he is, beyond the image. Umunna does seem to have an impact with voters. Though he's very unpopular with Corbyn's. Lisa Nandy is a compromise option. Ditto Owen Smith. No-one's ideal, but I can see arguments for all of them. The latter two are probably long shots, given David Miliband somehow has better odds than them.

Your final sentence is essentially where I see the party going if he remains in charge, unfortunately.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Tbf, I personally think Umunna is inevitable at some point, but they need to time his ascension right. Right now, I think it's a waste, and too close to his sudden, mysterious drop out last time. Jarvis seems to be being pushed into it more than anything else, due to his right wing media-proof backstory.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Jarvis is definitely open now. Though I'm still unsure on how good he is, beyond the image. Umunna does seem to have an impact with voters. Though he's very unpopular with Corbyn's. Lisa Nandy is a compromise option. Ditto Owen Smith. No-one's ideal, but I can see arguments for all of them. The latter two are probably long shots, given David Miliband somehow has better odds than them.

Your final sentence is essentially where I see the party going if he remains in charge, unfortunately.

What kind of campaign do you think Labour should run?

I was doing some more thinking and did find one plausible angle.
A (genuinely, unapologetically) Blairite leader. Curbs on immigration, business-friendly, and hawkish on foreign policy, arguing for ties with Europe on the basis of jobs. (Nissan). Use the Labour name (and an alliance with LD) to keep London voters in line.
If Chilcot is bad, paint Blair as a martyr - good old days under PM Blair (compared to Cameron and Corbyn), he was a strong leader, strong on national security ad ISIS would never have risen under him.

The Sun needs a scapegoat if things go badly so soon after Brexit, and the Conservative leader might be poisoned enough for them to support Blair v. 2.

Sweet Square

The idea that Corbyn would've had any influence on the Brexit vote - and has thus somehow betrayed his core electorate - is opportunist nonsense. He wouldn't have changed anything with a more visible campaign. He was always stuck between a rock and a racist place. The whole thing was a Tory-made clusterfeck, and all this achieves is gifting them a shelter from the backlash at the most opportune time to be highlighting it.
Wow come on Mockney let's be real here, Corbyn was the head of Labour Yes Campaign, he has to fall on his sword. Just look at him here, the lefty prick

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...to-head-labour-yes-campaign-for-eu-referendum

Oh wait .

Smores

They could beg David Miliband to come back and be their leader.
I'm not sure he'd be so stupid to stake his claim right now or that he'd be popular enough. Chukka wouldn't go down well either, they're both exactly the kind of polished proffesional politician that people don't trust.

Honestly the only one who I can see an argument for is Jarvis but it's only based on the fact he can be sold to the idiots, I mean he was in the army he has to be strong right? He can just throw back any challenge by saying he fought for this country, they'd lap that right up.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Could he stand for Jo cox's constituency
The candidate for that seat will be very carefully selected, for many reasons. They won't want to parachute someone in who isn't local to the area, just because there's not going to be any legitimate competition in the by-election.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'm not sure he'd be so stupid to stake his claim right now or that he'd be popular enough. Chukka wouldn't go down well either, they're both exactly the kind of polished proffesional politician that people don't trust.
While I'm not arguing for either of those two, 'polished professional politicians' are exactly the type that win elections.

People who look like old bumbling communists don't.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
It's either a genuine grievance or not, and given that many in the PLP are just as enthusiastic about EU membership as folk that voted for Corbyn, I'm not sure why they're unable to feel the same way.

And let's not put this down purely to the shadow cabinet acting out, either. It was started by backbenchers tabling a no confidence motion, which was expected to get support from well over 50% of Labour MPs in the secret ballot on Tuesday, meaning Corbyn would explicitly no longer carry the confidence of Labour MPs. Corbyn pre-empted this by sacking Benn, which then triggered the resignations.

The key point in all of this is what Watson mentioned in his statement earlier - the Labour party needs to be ready to govern immediately. We are potentially months away from another general election. Therefore the question that most people expected to be able to dance around until 2020, namely whether people seriously think the public would vote for Jeremy Corbyn to be Prime Minister, is now paramount. Now, I can understand when people will respond to this by saying there's no-one else that looks like a PM in waiting, either. But I can think of a few that could stand at least a chance, and could at least prevent a grown majority. Either we go for that chance, or roll over and let Boris camp down for the next few years.
Those having a go at Corbyn for the referendum would be better to have a bit of self reflection. Many of them couldn't get their own constituencies to vote remain, Hodge included.. The "we know what's best for these idiots" sneering didn't work on the Brexit campaign, it won't work here.

Drifter

American
New appointments to Jeremy Corbyn's front bench following the wave of resignations over the last 24 hours:

Shadow foreign secretary - Emily Thornberry

Shadow health secretary - Diane Abbott

Shadow education secretary - Pat Glass

Shadow transport secretary - Andy McDonald

Shadow defence secretary – Clive Lewis

Shadow chief secretary to the Treasury – Rebecca Long-Bailey

Shadow international development secretary – Kate Osamor

Shadow environment, food and rural affairs aecretary – Rachel Maskell

Shadow voter engagement and youth affairs – Cat Smith

Shadow Northern Ireland secretary – Dave Anderson

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm very new to understanding politics, but can someone please explain what the shadow cabinet does? Should Corbyn's position be hanging on a thread after all these resignations? Hopefully so. If he goes soon who can replace him that would be a good candidate versus the Torys?

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I'm very new to understanding politics, but can someone please explain what the shadow cabinet does? Should Corbyn's position be hanging on a thread after all these resignations? Hopefully so. If he goes soon who can replace him that would be a good candidate versus the Torys?
They are basically counterparts to the members of the cabinet in government. Each cabinet member has an opposition member in the shadow cabinet who's main role is to go up against them

Corbyn's position is indeed under threat. How much is up for debate. The parliamentary party doesn't want him but the party members do

I personally would like to see this man lead the Labour Party..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Jarvis

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
probably easiest to point you here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet

Predominantly they speak with one voice on the Opposition's alternative plans for Government.

To the other questions - Corbyn is historically unpopular in the Parliamentary Party, but still popular amongst the members. If he is forced into a leadership contest, the members who vote will likely pick him again.

re: good candidates, probably the person the Tories are concerned about the most is Dan Jarvis.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They are basically counterparts to the members of the cabinet in government. Each cabinet member has an opposition member in the shadow cabinet who's main role is to go up against them

Corbyn's position is indeed under threat. How much is up for debate. The parliamentary party doesn't want him but the party members do

I personally would like to see this man lead the Labour Party..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Jarvis
probably easiest to point you here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet

Predominantly they speak with one voice on the Opposition's alternative plans for Government.

To the other questions - Corbyn is historically unpopular in the Parliamentary Party, but still popular amongst the members. If he is forced into a leadership contest, the members who vote will likely pick him again.

re: good candidates, probably the person the Tories are concerned about the most is Dan Jarvis.
Thanks guys - very useful.. will read those pages.

Interesting time to get into politics, on a side note @Barca84 I have to concede how much I love your info under the user alias. I chucked back when I was a guest on redcafe at the Barcelona taglines :lol: assuming a mod was behind it!

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
on a side note @Barca84 I have to concede how much I love your info under the user alias. I chucked back when I was a guest on redcafe at the Barcelona taglines :lol: assuming a mod was behind it!
Yes...at this stage even I am starting to think I am, and always have been, a Barca fan :D

Classical Mechanic

I mean he was in the army he has to be strong right? He can just throw back any challenge by saying he fought for this country, they'd lap that right up.
He was a Commander in the Special Forces. A different order of magnitude to simply being in the army. His prior resume is political gold.

Drifter

American
Keep hearing about Dan Jarvis.Apart from fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq .What else does he offer. It never seemed to persuade his town from voting leave.

Smores

He was a Commander in the Special Forces. A different order of magnitude to simply being in the army. His prior resume is political gold.
As much as i'd ridicule this shallow and petulant approach from the Labour PLP from the people I've spoken to I do agree that putting in a military guy would probably be the only route to resolve the soft lefty viewpoint some have of the Labour party. Pacifism does not play well at all and it holds the agenda for change back somewhat.

Shamwow

I find this X-Factor level politics uninspiring personally. If he can come out convincingly prior to any election then I won't be against supporting them man but so far he's being pushed by people more bothered by his backstory than anything else. It's also relying on the assumption that his backstory will make him immune to certain attacks from, which isn't guaranteed by any measure. I'm not saying that there's nothing else to him but I haven't seen it personally and I just see people talking about his backstory.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Plus a windowed single dad... I mean you just look evil if you try and attack him
I am pretty sure it was parachute regiment not special forces... But still political gold
Mum was a teacher... Dad was a probation officer
Even the mail gush at him staring down a mugger
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Forces-stares-mugger-threatened-kill-him.html
Labour need a leader who the media will let get his message over... If he wants the job I'd say he would be a great candidate (if not as a minimum put him as shadow defence)

Classical Mechanic

Plus a windowed single dad... I mean you just look evil if you try and attack him
I am pretty sure it was parachute regiment not special forces... But still political gold
Mum was a teacher... Dad was a probation officer
Even the mail gush at him staring down a mugger
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Forces-stares-mugger-threatened-kill-him.html
Labour need a leader who the media will let get his message over... If he wants the job I'd say he would be a great candidate (if not as a minimum put him as shadow defence)
Not SAS but still Special Forces, albeit briefly.

Jarvis served in Iraq during Operation Telic and in Afghanistan during Operation Herrick.[12] He was deployed to Afghanistan twice, first as a member of the team making the first reconnaissance trips to Helmand Province in 2005 to 2006 in preparation for a decision on whether to commit British troops there. The second deployment was a six-month tour as a company commander with the Special Forces Support Group, leading a company of 100 troops.[4] He was also deployed to Northern Ireland.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Forces_Support_Group

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The shadow cabinet even looks like it has less credibility than the last one.
The current situation is unsustainable.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not SAS but still Special Forces, albeit briefly.

Jarvis served in Iraq during Operation Telic and in Afghanistan during Operation Herrick.[12] He was deployed to Afghanistan twice, first as a member of the team making the first reconnaissance trips to Helmand Province in 2005 to 2006 in preparation for a decision on whether to commit British troops there. The second deployment was a six-month tour as a company commander with the Special Forces Support Group, leading a company of 100 troops.[4] He was also deployed to Northern Ireland.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Forces_Support_Group
fair enough

In the Red Corner an ex parra, ex special forces - served in multiple conflicts, widdowed single dad to 2 kids, son of a teacher and probation officer who stares down muggers in the street... (take that Murdoch / Mail).... Dan "The Man" Jarvis

In the Blue Corner a chap famous for assaulting kids on the Rugby pitch, a lovable buffoon born in the USA, Educated at the European School in Brussels and descended from Russian Royalty and best known for looking clueless on Have I Got News For You... its Boris De Pfeffel Johnson

Sweet Square

fair enough

In the Red Corner an ex parra, ex special forces - served in multiple conflicts, widdowed single dad to 2 kids, son of a teacher and probation officer who stares down muggers in the street... (take that Murdoch / Mail).... Dan "The Man" Jarvis

In the Blue Corner a chap famous for assaulting kids on the Rugby pitch, a lovable buffoon born in the USA, Educated at the European School in Brussels and descended from Russian Royalty and best known for looking clueless on Have I Got News For You... its Boris De Pfeffel Johnson

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The word going round in Labour circles is that Corbyn actually voted Leave. He's been refusing to tell MPs which way he voted. feck me.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The word going round in Labour circles is that Corbyn actually voted Leave.
About as reliable as 'my mate in the pub says' these days. They'll say anything to try and get rid of him.
He's been refusing to tell MPs which way he voted. feck me.
Pretty sure in his shoes my response to MP's asking which way I voted would be to tell them to feck off.

I hope he goes because I feel badly let down over his 'campaigning' but I still detest the way the PLP has treated him in his time in the job.

Joined the Greens, last night. Finding it hard to imagine a situation in which I'd ever vote Labour again.

Shamwow

The word going round in Labour circles is that Corbyn actually voted Leave. He's been refusing to tell MPs which way he voted. feck me.
The plotters are doing a great job at stitching him up. I didn't see anything convincing in the "evidence" that had been sent to BBC & HuffPo. The stories look like they'd be written up for the journalists in question, with enough rumours that fit the narrative to make a convincing case. Maybe I didn't look close enough.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What a shambles our supposed top politicians are...on all sides.