Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
I can't help but wonder if this coup from within has anything to with the Chillcot Inquiry? Corbyn vows to press for Blair to be charged as a war criminal and all of a sudden cabinet members are calling for votes of no confidence...

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I can't help but wonder if this coup from within has anything to with the Chillcot Inquiry? Corbyn vows to press for Blair to be charged as a war criminal and all of a sudden cabinet members are calling for votes of no confidence...
There was an article in the telegraph a few weeks ago saying how this has all been planned. It claimed a 24 hour blitz of resignations would happen.

Stitch up. Personally I'll do everything I can to make sure it doesn't work (admittedly not much, but I've got my vote and am encouraging friends to join and vote also if it comes to that).

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Looking at those new shadow cabinet appointments, I'm genuinely not sure he's going to be able to fill it up.

NinjaFletch

It's quite funny isn't it? And sums up the Labour party at the minute that the big bombshell that is apparently the charge that is going to get rid of Corbyn is that he voted to leave in the EU ref.

Now, of course, the role of a Labour politician should be to look out for the working class and, for that reason, should have campaigned to stay in. Yet, the working class backed leaving the European Union in record droves precisely because they felt un-represented by the Westminster elite. The response to then remove a leader, precisely because he, apparently, shared a view with those very people, just sums up why people wanted to leave in the first place.

Not that I buy the idea that Corbyn actually did, but, either way, the fact the charge has been levelled against him just goes to show you Labour's problems.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Angela Eagle, Michael Cashman and John Healey resign.

Drifter

American
Got more to do with them worried that a General Election could be called early.

Sweet Square

Yep heard that to. Apparently Corbyn will apologise on behalf of the Labour Party for the Iraq war(Apparently he would have done it soon but the PLP conviced him to wait until Chillcot Inquriy is out)and call for Blair to face charges.I think I'm right in saying a certain Tom Watson has constantly voted against an investigation into the Iraq war as well. A lot of people aren't going to look pretty when it comes out.

Although I'm not sure how much I believe this.

SteveJ

Scout
Corbyn source: A leadership contest is now 'likely to happen'.

(Guardian)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't agree with people that are saying this is a Blairite takeover. The Labour Party is not working and something has to change.

Sweet Square

It's quite funny isn't it? And sums up the Labour party at the minute that the big bombshell that is apparently the charge that is going to get rid of Corbyn is that he voted to leave in the EU ref.

Now, of course, the role of a Labour politician should be to look out for the working class and, for that reason, should have campaigned to stay in. Yet, the working class backed leaving the European Union in record droves precisely because they felt un-represented by the Westminster elite. The response to then remove a leader, precisely because he, apparently, shared a view with those very people, just sums up why people wanted to leave in the first place.

Not that I buy the idea that Corbyn actually did, but, either way, the fact the charge has been levelled against him just goes to show you Labour's problems.
Peter Hitches talking sense(Around 4:40, although the whole video worth a watch)

:nervous:

Ubik

They voted primarily based on immigration. Then look at these:

He didn't even want it addressed.

If he actually voted Leave, he's an actual cnut.

SteveJ

Scout
I don't agree with people that are saying this is a Blairite takeover. The Labour Party is not working and something has to change.
The climate is all wrong for a leader like Jeremy. Even his proposed apology for the Iraq war will be viewed by many as weakness; Britain likes its 'strong' leaders...even if they're talentless meatheads.

Ubik

People saying that don't know what they're talking about, ignore.

SteveJ

Scout
Maria Eagle resigns. Eddie next.

Ubik

There've also been dozens of shadow ministers outside the cabinet resigning today. You'd usually fill those with members of the 2015 intake, but they've already had to go in the shadow cabinet.

If there's going to be an election, there's going to be a not-insignificant period where Labour won't even just be an ineffective opposition, it won't be an opposition at all.

SteveJ

Scout
Kate Green (Shadow Equalities Minister) resigns.

SteveJ

Scout
Elvis resigns.

:D Well, everyone else is resigning...

lynchie

Is there any chance he can survive this?
He can't really be forced out. His personality **** is strong enough that he'd win a new leadership battle. He seems like he'll be quite happy to see Labour crushed in a snap GE, as long as his idealogical purity is preserved.

Dobba

The climate is all wrong for a leader like Jeremy. Even his proposed apology for the Iraq war will be viewed by many as weakness; Britain likes its 'strong' leaders...even if they're talentless meatheads.
Many of us will be able to vote Labour again without feeling the need to bathe in bleach afterwards, especially if he calls for Blair to face charges.

Will be very interesting to see how vocal the resigners are when it all comes out too.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Corbyn shouldn't even be on the new leadership ballot. There's a reason you need a minimum number of MPs to nominate you... because you can't be leader unless you can form a shadow cabinet.

Corbyn is done. It's ludicrous he won't just resign and be done with it so labour can move forward.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He can't really be forced out. His personality **** is strong enough that he'd win a new leadership battle. He seems like he'll be quite happy to see Labour crushed in a snap GE, as long as his idealogical purity is preserved.
Is it? Or was it until Friday morning?

I doubt I'm the only one on the left who agrees with most of his politics but is dismayed by his campaign. Whether there are enough like me that he would lose, I really don't know though.

SteveJ

Scout
Britain is being sabotaged from within. Who'd have thunk it, eh?

lynchie

Is it? Or was it until Friday morning?

I doubt I'm the only one on the left who agrees with most of his politics but is dismayed by his campaign. Whether there are enough like me that he would lose, I really don't know though.
I would expect so. It seems like the £3 brigade are still out in force. It might not be as much of a landslide as last time, but he'd still win.

Red Ryan

The right wing element within Labour never wanted a left wing leader and have really played their full hand this time.

Donkey's Ears

Whether or not this is a pre-planned coup, do people really think Corbyn is electable? Part of the reason this whole cluster feck has happened is because Labour has stopped being an effective opposition party. Ed was hardly Blairite central - his main power came from the Unions same as Corbyn.

Labour has a real opportunity here to win central votes from the Conservatives but Corbyn is so utterly unelectable that even die hard Labour voters I know are praying he leaves so they can a) possibly win a GE and b) not have to vote something else.

I don't admire the way this thing is happening but if you think Corbyn should stay then presumably you're happy to see Conservative governments for the foreseeable future as there is no evidence whatsoever that his message is working with anyone.

And like it or not part of the leadership is to work/control your MPs, Blair did this well until he didn't and went. Cameron made a series of blunders because of pressure from his MPs and has now gone.

If you have no authority over your party in that way history says you have no chance.

Ubik

Corbyn shouldn't even be on the new leadership ballot. There's a reason you need a minimum number of MPs to nominate you... because you can't be leader unless you can form a shadow cabinet.

Corbyn is done. It's ludicrous he won't just resign and be done with it so labour can move forward.
I think he needs to have been shown to be defeated (including by getting him to resign), otherwise the next leader will be dogged by claims of illegitimacy.

Agree wholeheartedly with your final sentence, dragging everyone down with him right now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't know why he's being stubborn. Even if Labour were smashed to pieces at the next election, this guy would not resign. What is his endgame?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Whether or not this is a pre-planned coup, do people really think Corbyn is electable? Part of the reason this whole cluster feck has happened is because Labour has stopped being an effective opposition party. Ed was hardly Blairite central - his main power came from the Unions same as Corbyn.

Labour has a real opportunity here to win central votes from the Conservatives but Corbyn is so utterly unelectable that even die hard Labour voters I know are praying he leaves so they can a) possibly win a GE and b) not have to vote something else.

I don't admire the way this thing is happening but if you think Corbyn should stay then presumably you're happy to see Conservative governments for the foreseeable future as there is no evidence whatsoever that his message is working with anyone.

And like it or not part of the leadership is to work/control your MPs, Blair did this well until he didn't and went. Cameron made a series of blunders because of pressure from his MPs and has now gone.

If you have no authority over your party in that way history says you have no chance.
I'd believe the "he isn't electable" line a lot more if the plotters hadn't been actively working to ensure it comes true. They are the unelectable ones to me now, they've been intentionally working against their membership and their voters in order to secure a Corbyn resignation.

This is a fight against "we know better than you idiots, and if you don't believe us then we'll make sure that we're right". They must not be allowed to succeed.

Red Ryan

The elements that are lining up to replace him are Tories in all but name. What's the point in having a Labour Party that only represents the middle class?

Smores

There's as much evidence that Labour is electable under him than there is in any other path right now.

The difference is Corbyn is taking his mandate from Labour members where as those resigning are seemingly taking there's from people on the door step who have grown disgruntled with Labour. the PLP blame that on Corbyn but it's quite clear Labour has simply lost these people to UKIP and the Tory right.

I worry very much that they're cutting off those who still support Labour with this move and could destroy the party as the Lib Dems did. The only way this will work is collecting voters who are so throughly opposed to the tories because of Brexit and the lies that they'll vote Labour under a moderate leader.

Ubik

I don't know why he's being stubborn. Even if Labour were smashed to pieces at the next election, this guy would not resign. What is his endgame?
You're awarding him strategic nous that he has shown no signs of possessing.