4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas porter

If we are going to play with a #10 Angel Gomes is by far the best option we have. Play him and use Lingard off the bench where his pace/pressing might be useful.

Really disappointed he completely missed on that pullback from Dan James early in the 2nd half. If he had taken a touch and buried it we're 2-0 up and its a completely different game.

klayton88

He must have dirt on Woodward, it's the only thing I can think of. I once worked with a guy, he was manager of a different department and he had serious dirt by way of a video of a rather well known public figure who owned the company being a naughty boy. They tried to dismiss him multiple times for being shit at his job but he always wriggled free. He kept it until he left off his own accord a few years later.

Devil may care

I've often defended him and overlook the fact he has the mentality of a 14 year old with his social media antics, but I've always maintained he's not good enough to be more than a bench player, he was awful again tonight and isn't good enough on the ball or creative enough to be a #10 for United, he's arguably the weakest link in the team.

King.of.Red

Sigh, he indeed did good job with his pressing but he wasn't good enough for our attack. If only Joao Felix was our player :drool:
Ole must be brave to start Gomez next match.

manunited1919

He needs to play beside Pogba instead of in front of him, and allow Pogba to get forward. Since pressing is his best asset let him take over the Herrera role, and we move back to our 4-3-3.

Simply not good enough to be a no. 10, and it's very weird we're making Pogba stay back to accommodate him.
Pogba is playing deep because we don’t have anyone else that can do the job: McT, Pereira, Fred either don’t cut it or not ready yet. Matic’s legs are gone.

Even if we had started Greenwood for Lingard we would have had Pogba playing deep.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Been saying it all along, whytf do we play with Lingard in front of Pogba?

I'd rather we press less but have more creative and stability in the middle with Fred/Matic/Peirera behind Pogba.

Imagine finding Pogba in the opposition's half with Rashford/Martial/James in front of him?

FFS. Just too obvious.
Slow down, too much logic there.

Better yet, how about we kept Herrera and carried on with the same setup as when Ole first came in? Too much to ask?

Currently, whatever benefit we gain from Pogba played deep (more control of midfield) is immediately wasted as soon as Lingard is tasked to make use of this and be our creator.

Whatever combination of midfield options with Pogba ahead, you would surely think would be infinitely more beneficial to us instead.

Pogba in front of Martial & Rashford is mouth-watering, Lingard not so much.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Pogba is playing deep because we don’t have anyone else that can do the job: McT, Pereira, Fred either don’t cut it or not ready yet. Matic’s legs are gone.

Even if we had started Greenwood for Lingard we would have had Pogba playing deep.
Woody with the master plan to not offer Herrera a new deal or even replace him.

Cheers, great idea that was.

I'm sure i wasn't the only one to see this coming before the season started.

edcunited1878

Assume he's getting loads of abuse in here. Fine to be critical of him especially of his poor execution of a half volley from the right. Again, this is his limitation when it's a tight game and the margins are small. Thought he had a really good first half then when he needed to be better in the second half, he didn't step up..but neither did his direct sub (Mata).

From the first two games, can't have Lingard and James on the pitch at the same time for any extended period and expect that they will be a source of creativity between the two of them.

Needs to learn to drop back deeper and facilitate/link up with McTominay more, while showing for a pass like he usually does with Pogba. It's that balance of pushing forward and dropping deep to be an outlet and between the lines.

manunited1919

He needs to be doing much more as a number 10. His output just isn’t good enough for a team that wants to challenge the league.

Yes he runs around and huffs and puffs but he just doesn’t get into good enough attacking areas - and when he does he fluffs it! Couldn’t believe that airshot. He scored that and 2-0 game over.
I think the goal is top 4. And he isn’t good enough for that either.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Well honestly how many teams would have him in their starting 11? He wouldn’t get anywhere near Wolves, Leicester or Evertons teams.
A better question is, with his output and the financial strength of all PL teams nowadays, who actually would go into the market with the intention to bring an attacking player who hasn't scored or assisted a goal in 8 months to their club?

He's on over 100k a week.

Think about it. I don't think anyone would be interested in him at all. Promoted clubs can do better than him. A rich Championship club maybe?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll get criticized for his lack of output and it's something he really does have to improve on, but he does also provide a lot of good to our team. Just look at him like more of a midfielder/supporting player rather than an attacker.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He'll get criticized for his lack of output and it's something he really does have to improve on, but he does also provide a lot of good to our team. Just look at him like more of a midfielder/supporting player rather than an attacker.
We're playing a 4231. We're literally sacrificing Pogba skills to sit deep(partly also because he's the only midfield good enough on the ball to be trusted to control play from deep) because we want to play a number 10. The importance of a 10 in such a system CANNOT be overstated enough.

As a 10 on this system most burden for creativity should be on him especially with Pogba our most creative player sitting deep. Again most responsibility for creativity in such set up falls on our furthest attacking midfield.

Now having said that and making sure we've highlighted why it is imperative and important that the number 10 be that creative in such system, we have Lingard who hasn't neither scored or assisted in over 9 months. That's fecking tragic and almost make this 4231 system pointless.

Might as well look to play another system.

I repeat Pogba creativity is sacrificed in this system and what we get I return is Lingard with no creative bone. 0 goals or assists in 9 months is absolutely unacceptable especially for such a crutial attacking role.

Pace Abuser

Just look at him like our club mascot. Then he will look good.

A number 10 who has a complete inability to turn around and face the right way with the ball. Laughable state of affairs. Get Angel on. It can't be any worse.

He'sRaldo

If it's a flat 3 then Pogba can still come deep to progress the play, but also burst forward with the knowledge that he'll be covered by Scott and Jesse.

As it stands he's more hesitant due to Jesse being in front of him, meaning he has to be the cover.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Should be given time off to focus on his social media presence and his clothing brand.

manunited1919

Well honestly how many teams would have him in their starting 11? He wouldn’t get anywhere near Wolves, Leicester or Evertons teams.
We can all agree about this, but the only ones that matter are Ole and the people surrounding Ole. I have a feeling Ole is taking bad advice about Lindgard, but that’s for another thread, as ultimately it’s OGS who is responsible.

Mr. Meeseeks

Did he even play? What a scam. Walk around the pitch, close down some players when the camera is on you to look like you are trying, then take some of the credit when you pass the ball to better players who assist and score the goal.

The fact that he was ostensibly our #10 today is baffling to me. He created nothing. He wouldn’t even make the bench for any of the top teams in Europe.

If we ever intend on dominating games we need better players than him. I can’t believe Gomes didn’t even make the bench because of this waste of space. He was literally slowly jogging around for the whole game. Beans beans beans indeed.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Turned down Bruno Fernandes because he doesn't pass the ball well enough...

manunited1919

If it's a flat 3 then Pogba can still come deep to progress the play, but also burst forward with the knowledge that he'll be covered by Scott and Jesse.

As it stands he's more hesitant due to Jesse being in front of him, meaning he has to be the cover.
My impression today Pogba was practically assuming Matic’s role.

He'sRaldo

My impression today Pogba was practically assuming Matic’s role.
Yeah that's pretty accurate. Seems like a waste to me, using Pogba to accommodate Lingard and McTominay. Should be the other way around.

What can we really do though, when no one else can do it?

billybee99

Yes it is, and there IS a wider conversation to be had regarding his status as a starter for us. Tonight and Chelsea aren't the performances to go in on him for though.

His pressing was key in our control of the first half, he was the driving force behind Wolves having to totally bypass their midfield where we could have been exploited.

Someone mentioned about his role in the first goal could have been done by someone else, it's a bollocks point, because it wasn't. This utter refusal to look at the wider picture and look at what he is offering besides goals and assists is what is grating. It stinks of the years of abuse Ji-Sung Park copped on this forum right up until it finally clicked that those aren't the only metrics to measure a performance

A lesson then superbly forgotten just in time for the next whipping boy, it is just so utterly, utterly predictable.
You do understand that there are #10s out there that can press the ball AND contribute offensively? These are not mutually exclusive abilities. Shouldn't a club as big as Manchester United not have a #10 that works hard AND actually has some talent?
We shouldn't look at our #10 as an attacker? Are you fecking kidding me? Am I in the Twilight Zone or something? Is this Bolton or Stoke? We are Manchester United Fecking Football Club. We can't have a #10 that is a "supporting player." That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A non-attacking #10. I can't wait now for the Lingard fanboys to say that he's being played out of position at the #10. Let's move him further back in the midfield and replace Herrera. Yeah right.

manunited1919

Yeah that's pretty accurate. Seems like a waste to me, using Pogba to accommodate Lingard and McTominay. Should be the other way around.

What can we really do though, when no one else can do it?
But it’s not like we didn’t know. We have just lost 2 solid midfielders (3 if you count Matic), and it’s just negligence not to replace them.

Marcus

Lingard was poor today. Based on merit, he should lose his place for the next game.

He'sRaldo

But it’s not like we didn’t know. We have just lost 2 solid midfielders (3 if you count Matic), and it’s just negligence not to replace them.
Yeah, I'm guessing we were banking on Scott to replace Matic, but he's not good enough on the ball to be by himself.

If I was Ole, I'd consider some kind of 3 defence, 2 midfield formation. Since we obviously have excess defenders, very few decent center mids, and only one winger. Seems like the most logical option for keeping everyone in their right positions.

Canagel

Awful player. Cannot create, cannot score yet takes up the centre stage of our attack. He should leave with Sanchez.

In Rainbows

Been saying it all along, whytf do we play with Lingard in front of Pogba?

I'd rather we press less but have more creative and stability in the middle with Fred/Matic/Peirera behind Pogba.

Imagine finding Pogba in the opposition's half with Rashford/Martial/James in front of him?

FFS. Just too obvious.
It sounds good on paper, but one huge crack forms. That being that we lack another player who can bring the ball up from deep and start attacks with their passing. This leads to Pogba being starved of service.

What is an idea worth trying is to give Fred ago because his mistakes could be covered by our improved defense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He needs to be dropped for the next game. I'd rather see a player like Gomes who will contribute far more towards our general play.

It's actually criminal that we have to watch the likes of Lingard doing feck all whilst technicians like Gomes are over looked. I wonder when the penny will finally drop..

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think he suffered because the lack of yellow color on his shoes. The current color only useful to glide over grass that grows once every season.

We saw his most consistent string of games from him when the yellow's match the type of grass on the field.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
This is a make or break season for him. He cant forever hide behind being young and from the academy. Many young platers his age are already more consistent

MattyB1986

I don't really like being negative here. I try coming onto this site when I have something positive to say. But this guy is not good enough for United, he literally moves everywhere but does nothing. Check his stats for last year, nothing until December. Would it have be any worse to play Gomes or Sanchez at 10 instead?

kiristao

Lingard is a decent squad player. Not a regular starting 11 in a role as important as a number 10. We need someone who can unlock defenses as well as press from the front. He does the pressing bit well but he does not possess the killer pass. I would like to see Fred in the Pogba role and Pogba as a number 10 or Pereira as a number 10.

Sereques

Slow down, too much logic there.

Better yet, how about we kept Herrera and carried on with the same setup as when Ole first came in? Too much to ask?

Currently, whatever benefit we gain from Pogba played deep (more control of midfield) is immediately wasted as soon as Lingard is tasked to make use of this and be our creator.

Whatever combination of midfield options with Pogba ahead, you would surely think would be infinitely more beneficial to us instead.

Pogba in front of Martial & Rashford is mouth-watering, Lingard not so much.

Yes it’s too much to ask because your Mr “I love Manchester United more than my balls” Herrera wants a five year contract at the age of 29 to stay at the club he loves so much.

PaulRich

The fact that this guy even gets a look in epitomizes just how far our standards have dropped. He was shite last night and has been for a couple of years now. We need to accept that he's heading into his late twenties and isn't going to make that step up.

redIndianDevil

He has no belief in his ability to play in the middle and keeps constantly drifting right to make it easy for himself leaving Martial and Rashford quite isolated, if he doesn't have the balls to at least try to make passes to the middle how'd he improve himself? We must really start looking at bringing back Matic or Fred and push Pogba up or even play Sanchez at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.