5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Adnan

As silly as Lingard seems on social media he’s never been someone who has popped up in headlines for the wrong reasons. He’s not a Grealish or Alli or anything.
He made headlines and got a bollocking from Ole for that hotel video and also him cheating on his girl. Ole has also alluded to telling him to pipe down on social media so it's clearly an issue of some sort. Not being a Grealish or an Alli is a pretty low bar to be a mentor no?

Besides all that anyway, call me old fashioned but his personality isn't something i'd want to be rubbed off on our younger players. Rashford, despite being younger, is a far better example of a mentor to me. There's plenty more in the squad as well like Bruno, McT, Mata etc

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He made headlines and got a bollocking from Ole for that hotel video and also him cheating on his girl. Ole has also alluded to telling him to pipe down on social media so it's clearly an issue of some sort. Not being a Grealish or an Alli is a pretty low bar to be a mentor no?

Besides all that anyway, call me old fashioned but his personality isn't something i'd want to be rubbed off on our younger players. Rashford, despite being younger, is a far better example of a mentor to me. There's plenty more in the squad as well like Bruno, McT, Mata etc
Well Rashford & Lingard are best mates, so one would assume their fairly similar personalities in private? What you see on social media doesn’t really reflect their character, it’s just a glimpse.

Maybe Greenwood has nothing in common with those players? If he can relate to Lingard somewhat then it could be beneficial.

Lingard seems like a good bloke by all accounts. Being loud on social media doesn’t make him a bad influence.

I suppose we’re in a day & age where Pogba is the worst person in the world because he likes a dance, but Maguire is a victim because he tried to bribe a cop. Different strokes for different folks. I guess not much has changed after all.

van Nistelrooy

Also apparently acting like a mentor figure to Greenwood according to Hirst :nervous:
Well there's your explanation for Greenwood's dip in form.

Lingard shouldn't be allowed any where near the first team where he can be the nuisance he always has been.

Ole has done well to keep him out the squad for a long while now. We're the sort of club who will give a new bumper contract out to any form of mediocrity and below, so the last thing we need is him getting a run out.

NoPace

He's not a forward to be fair though.

Not great numbers for an attacking midfielder either, but fair is fair.
His goal numbers aren't good but they're not terrible for a truly elite creative midfielder like a Silva (who scored 27 more in 80 more games for City, so similar but probably 1 10-15 game purple patche of goals if you add in Silva starting more games and Lingard coming off the bench.

But it's tough to think of a single less creative midfielder and passer who plays in that part of the pitch than Lingard. Like even among relegated teams, he can't spot a pass like Cantwell or Buendia last year or Bournemouth's guys, apart from maybe a pure winger like Stanislas.

He should have spent the past 5 years scoring a healthy number of goals in a 4-2-2-2 for a team struggling to stay in the Prem.

stevoc

Well Rashford & Lingard are best mates, so one would assume their fairly similar personalities in private? What you see on social media doesn’t really reflect their character, it’s just a glimpse.

Maybe Greenwood has nothing in common with those players? If he can relate to Lingard somewhat then it could be beneficial.

Lingard seems like a good bloke by all accounts. Being loud on social media doesn’t make him a bad influence.

I suppose we’re in a day & age where Pogba is the worst person in the world because he likes a dance, but Maguire is a victim because he tried to bribe a cop. Different strokes for different folks. I guess not much has changed after all.
Has any one person on here ever actually said Pogba is the worst person in the world because he likes to dance?

Is it a fact/proven that Maguire tried to bribe a Greek cop?

Genuinely interested on both counts.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He joins the great extensions with among phil Jones etc
This is a little different, Jones we gave a completely new 4 year contract, we’re just triggering the extension already existing in Lingard’s contract. Not that I agree with it.

Crashoutcassius

people probably dont want to hear it, especially the twitter 12 year olds on the forum, but obviously we should trigger the 12 month extension. pure depth across several positions, and could easily sell him for cash over summer

arnie_ni

Why would we even bother? He doesn't even get into squads with 9 subs

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
people probably dont want to hear it, especially the twitter 12 year olds on the forum, but obviously we should trigger the 12 month extension. pure depth across several positions, and could easily sell him for cash over summer
Not with the wages he's on

I remember people saying the exact same about Jones and Rojo

AltiUn

He’s provided no depth for us this season and we’ve coped just fine without him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Clearing what deadwood :lol: Jones given a 5 year deal season before last, Fosu Mensa offered 3 years and now Lingard extended. Whats the point.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Quite happy about the extension to be honest, it's only a year and I've a soft spot for our Jesse.

Wouldn't have agreed with a new contract but triggering a 1 year extension I don't think is necessarily a bad idea.

I know he's been poor for the last 18 months but there was a spell when JM was here and for Oles first 6 months and 2018 WC where he was playing consistenly well and chipping in with alot of important goals.

Given his issues at home recently, I'm happy for him to be given another year. I've a soft spot for him and if he can get back to the form of 2 years ago he is a good squad player option.

Reactions: golden_blunder

AltiUn

what are you scared of happening if we exercise our 12 month extension? I just can never understand the tears over this
I'm not scared of anything, I've said he'll be of no use so there's no point keeping him, he's just going to eat up wages which could be used on a better player. Why are you so desperate to keep him?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Surely this is done as business thinking not footballing thinking.

now he’s contracted for another season he will have to move for a fee no matter how minimal it is. Anything is better than losing a player for free, Even if someone comes in for 5 million it’s better than him going for nothing.

PoTMS

We've extended his £100k a week contract for him to sit on the bench. He'll leave next summer because no one will want him at his wages and price tag and we will then lose even more in wages. That's £7.8m in wages. Even if we sell him, we're not gonna get more than that and that figure is not even taking into account any loyalty bonuses. This club is actually run by idiots.

GlasgowCeltic

Quite happy about the extension to be honest, it's only a year and I've a soft spot for our Jesse.

Wouldn't have agreed with a new contract but triggering a 1 year extension I don't think is necessarily a bad idea.

I know he's been poor for the last 18 months but there was a spell when JM was here and for Oles first 6 months and 2018 WC where he was playing consistenly well and chipping in with alot of important goals.

Given his issues at home recently, I'm happy for him to be given another year. I've a soft spot for him and if he can get back to the form of 2 years ago he is a good squad player option.
18 career Prem goals, of which seven were scored in the first half of the 17/18 season, £100k a week, it’s time to give it up mate

Doracle

Surely this is done as business thinking not footballing thinking.

now he’s contracted for another season he will have to move for a fee no matter how minimal it is. Anything is better than losing a player for free, Even if someone comes in for 5 million it’s better than him going for nothing.
Or he just sits in the stands for a further year as no one else is willing to pay him £100k a week. The club pays him a further £5.2 million plus any other bonuses and he leaves on a free in 2022. That’s the most likely scenario unfortunately.

crossy1686

career ending
Surely this has been done because someone thinks the market will bounce back next summer? He doesn't have a place at the club. Maybe he'll hang on and be cover for VDB and Bruno. After Pogba leaves we are a bit short. We also don't know what's happening with Mata yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.