Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crustanoid

McTominay in his interview and Rio, and Hoddle have all sung his praises

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Thought he was quite lively in he first half an hour or so. Totally missing from there onwards though

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It was a classic Lingard performance good movement but no penetration from him. Wasn’t as bad as people are making out but take him off that pitch and swap him with any other generic mobile midfielder and I don’t think you get much of a difference

Alemar

Atrocious performance. He would struggle to get into a starting XI of this very Watford, I am afraid.

He...let’s say, he runs around, but doesn’t do anything else, at all. Absolutely no end product of any kind

Mickson

I think he's a good player. You can see that his technique, passing etc is miles better than say James. But for me, he just doesn't look ambitious. I don't know what has happened. He just tries to play one-twos in the middle of the pitch. Why isn't he trying to create something? Very strange.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He was ok. Nice crossfield ball in second half. He can run and press.

He is not a terrible footballer, just not good enough for us.

He'd suit Southampton or Leeds.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
3 games, 3 clean sheets. People have unreasonable expectations on here.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I didn't think he was too bad.
He started quite brightly to be fair and was involved in our better moves in the first half. But as the game wore on you could see the game was getting too quick for him, though he did try to make things happen and I'll always give more leeway to players like that. Unlike players who constantly play in safe.

Acole9

Outstanding
He looked lively for about 30 minutes and then went missing.

All this "He's a Championship player" stuff is bullshit. Some of you lot need to watch quest highlights at the weekend then you'll have more of an idea. He could definitely fit into some teams down towards the bottom of the Premier League or maybe a club abroad of sorts and improve them.

He's had some good times here but he's lost his way, it's happened to players before and he won't be the last. I think Solskjaer knows his time is up so I'm not sure why we've not moved him on.

He looked lively for about 30 minutes and then went missing.

All this "He's a Championship player" stuff is bullshit. Some of you lot need to watch quest highlights at the weekend then you'll have more of an idea. He could definitely fit into some teams down towards the bottom of the Premier League or maybe a club abroad of sorts and improve them.

He's had some good times here but he's lost his way, it's happened to players before and he won't be the last. I think Solskjaer knows his time is up so I'm not sure why we've not moved him on.
of course he’s a PL player.

I think everyone knows his time is up, but it’s a strange time for buying: selling players. He could deffo do a very good job for a team outside the ‘top 6’.

when he goes, it will be with my best wishes. He’s always been available, and scored some really important goals.

JMack1234

The ballad of Jesse Lingard.

in 2018 he was starting in a World Cup Semi-final. In 2021 he's 28 and should be at his peak but he would've looked average if he was playing for Watford tonight.

lex talionis

I have no idea what level he’s at, but Lingard is clearly unsuited to United now. He had his moment, got his big contract, and even got a contract extension (courtesy of the people who extended the contract of Phil Jones) but we need to find a club to offload him to.

RedDevilzFox

I wonder if there is a team in championship that actually wants him if were to offer him on an extremely reduced deal?

Devil may care

Looked rusty which was to be expected as he hasn't played for feck knows how many months.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Don't get me wrong because he's not good enough but I didn't think he was bad today. He lofted a good through pass to Greenwood? around 50 mins and could have had an assist.

He's a weird player though because, on the one hand, AM looks like his best position, yet he's not nearly incisive enough to be an effective playmaker or goalscorer.

His best asset is being able to play quick passes back to others. He doesn't stand on the ball for ages which is good, but he too often plays it backwards rather than forwards.

While he runs a lot, he's not actually the quickets. He's sort of now like a worse version of Mata; a player who many would argue is well past his best.

That said, hopefully he gets a good testimonial :wenger:

van Nistelrooy

Typical Lingard performance. A few simple one-touch passes (mainly backwards), constantly losing possession and then ghosting through the rest of the game.

Why do pundits consistently praise him and put his absence down to injuries? He's been dropped and deservedly so.

hobbers

Why do pundits consistently praise him and put his absence down to injuries? He's been dropped and deservedly so.
It's always refreshing hearing the ex-Arsenal pundits absolutely railing on their players when they don't turn up. Willian, Pepe, Xhaka et al all been ripped to shreds by pundits/commentators this season and deservedly so.

Lingard could miss an open goal from 1 yard out and then score a bicycle kick own goal a minute later, and then get sent off for a 3 footed lunge one minute after that and they'd still be pretending he's a 21 year old top youth prospect who's had all the bad luck in the world.

Mindhunter

Always great to see loyal players from the academy get a run out in the domestic cups. It's refreshing to see that Ole hasn't written him off yet and is willing to give him a chance to reestablish himself in the team. The lad is all heart and energy and can still have a promising future with the club if used wisely. Sell him immediately.

Jezpeza

It's always refreshing hearing the ex-Arsenal pundits absolutely railing on their players when they don't turn up. Willian, Pepe, Xhaka et al all been ripped to shreds by pundits/commentators this season and deservedly so.

Lingard could miss an open goal from 1 yard out and then score a bicycle kick own goal a minute later, and then get sent off for a 3 footed lunge one minute after that and they'd still be pretending he's a 21 year old top youth prospect who's had all the bad luck in the world.
haha. Yeah. Hes that evergreen ‘prospect’ like Barkley and wilshere who you suddenly realise is 26 one day.

in my opinion he has consistently proved he isn't good enough just like players such as cleverley and gibson before him.

i can see a use for him in a low in the table side who are afforded more space, where you can get him to run in behind and onto flick ons from your front man. Whether he can stick any chances away is another matter.

todays match was a throwback to early last season when people seemed unable to figure out why playing him james and pereira yielded no creativity or chances

caleb2003

This performance was like being transported back in time to before Bruno Fernandes joined.

AngliaRed

Last nights performance was his ceiling and that isn’t even good enough to be back up for our bench.

Like Peirera, most definitely should go permanently this January!

Bwuk

I have a funny feeling he’ll start at Anfield on the right to try and help against Robertson/Mane.

He’s better than James there.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I can't see this being anything other than his last season here. Think he could go this month, but definitely in the summer. There was a time where I would defend the guy as I thought he brought something positive to the team, but that's gone now. And I know he loves the club, but I think deep down he would probably prefer a move away. He looks like a player at the moment who could do with a fresh start somewhere else.

Thiagoal

I think anyone judging him from last nights performance are being extremely harsh as it’s his first run out for bloody ages! Would prefer him in the 10 position than VDB that’s for sure

manunited1919

Lindgard’s natural level is an average player overall. His technique, passing ability, and football brain are below average. His movement and workrate are above average.

Unfortunately, the player we are seeing is shot, he is mentally busted, and needs to move on for his own good. Perhaps Lindgard believed some of the great things said about him when he had his purple patch, or perhaps he actually believed he was an elite player: why else would MUFC pay him so much? By now, after Ole showing faith in him for about a year, and scoring zero goals during that time, he must have finally realized he is just a squad player at best, and never an elite player.

As he is mentally busted, instead of seeing an average player when he plays for us, we are seeing a player that avoids the ball, who doesn’t dare, and is not even good for us as a squad level player.

Compare him to McTominay, who perhaps has less natural ability than Lindgard, but who is mentally much tougher than Lindgard, and works his butt off to be in the best physical shape possible because he knows he has limitations and the only way to overcome them is through hard work.

NoPace

The ballad of Jesse Lingard.

in 2018 he was starting in a World Cup Semi-final. In 2021 he's 28 and should be at his peak but he would've looked average if he was playing for Watford tonight.
Yeah but that was always insane he couldn't hit a through ball then either. Maddison was a couples month away from putting up a 14 goal season from midfield in the championship and even back then he could spot a pass, for example. Grealish obviously in hindsight. Milner had retired because Big Sam told him to feck off but would have been a better option.

Hell from within the squad picked, you have to ask if they score a 2nd goal and beat Croatia if Alexander-Arnold had been given the CM spot Lingard had,. It was kind of a weird in between period for England at the spot, Loftus-Cheek even made the squad after carrying the ball for Palace 40 yards a few times and making people perk up. Shoulda have been Wilshere or even Oxlade Chamberlain or maybe Barkley would have matured into a solid if sort of brainless box to box type in that spot but they kept getting hurt. Why did England not play 3-4-1-2 with Dele Alli as a 10 and given Henderson one of his club partners like Milner or Alexander-Arnold, not sure really. Ironically, one of Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard would have been a perfect fit and maybe pipped England the whole thing, but it was just that the time was wrong, Juliet.

stevoc

It was an average performance against a Championship side. Nothing particularly wrong with that but Jesse can and most times does put in a similar non performances against top PL teams, lower PL teams, Europa League teams and lower league teams. The level opposition rarely matters. Yes sometimes he does have decent games but they are few and far between outside his purple patch back in 17-18.

I think the most damning thing you can say about Lingard as a player is he's 28 and most people on here have been watching him play for the best part of a decade now. And yet there is still no consensus on what position he is most effective in. He's clearly not a midfielder, his dribbling and crossing aren't good enough to be an effective winger, his finishing isn't good enough to be a striker and he's just not nearly talented enough to play at no10. Without even mentioning his limited passing range for him to be an effective no10 he'd have to actually be able to do something other than running away from play or calling for the ball only to give it straight back to the person that just passed it to him. Very rarely over the course of a game does he attempt a through ball or even create a chance.

So we're left with he has energy and movement, yeah he does but so do lots of players at various levels of football.

NoPace

I have a funny feeling he’ll start at Anfield on the right to try and help against Robertson/Mane.

He’s better than James there.
Rashford will surely be on the right, with Pogba or James or Martial out left (Cavani up top in the latter ideal) or even Bruno there with VDB as a 10 before we play Lingard.

Status
Not open for further replies.