Jesse Lingard Players' Tribune piece

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
When you make it to the top, people see the glitz and the glamour, but they don’t see everything that went into it. They don’t see you living out of a Marriott in Leicester, eating room service for dinner every night, missing your family, doubting yourself, wondering if it’s ever gonna happen for you.
Being on loan in the Championship, living a little over 2 hours away from your family in your hotel where the meals are all served to you. Proper grafting.

Think you’re overlooking generational changes. 26 year olds don’t stay the same through history.
He's 5 years younger than me and it reads like someone that's 20 wrote that. Then again he's been living in a bubble his whole life.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
These are always a good read, even if they're wrote for them.

This bit I like..

Me and Pogs take our spot on the bench, and you know, we were used to playing in reserve games in front of 200 people. This is 50,000. I remember looking up at that massive glass stand at the one end, and it was shaking. And I looked over at Pogs like, Oh my gosh, if the gaffer actually puts me in, I might wet meself.

Lucky for me, we stayed on the bench that day. But that was such a big moment for me. Just to be thrown into the fire like that, and to get to wear the shirt for Sir Alex, it was massive for my belief.
When people complain about youngsters being put on the bench and not played..it's probably a good idea to get them used to it a bit and prepare them for actually playing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Being on loan in the Championship, living a little over 2 hours away from your family in your hotel where the meals are all served to you. Proper grafting.

He's 5 years younger than me and it reads like someone that's 20 wrote that. Then again he's been living in a bubble his whole life.
I'm almost certain they get the info then write it in a way that sounds like them.

United58

Great read, the Player's Tribune always have brilliant articles. Lukaku's one is fantastic, a real rags to riches story.

The England camp finally have a togetherness to them, would have been brilliant for them if it was like that back in 2004 etc.

Nice little read. Lots of details about Jesse's way into the United-squad.

Always like it more, when players talk about the darker times of football too, and it doesn't go into auto-pilot. Like Roy Keane on his injury in his autobiography.
His first autobiography, with Eamonn Dunphy, is absolutely fantastic.

That's a big thing with footballers and other celebrities, they don't actually need to do anything in their lives so they automatically don't mature - no worries at the top level about taxes, insurance etc, even cooking and all that is done for them. A dressing room is like a bunch of 10 year olds essentially

Last edited:

DBT85

Who robbed the jam out of your doughnut?

buckooo1978

nice read and his Grandad sounds a c character

god I hate the word Banter/Bantz

Sauldogba

Taking a thread off topic
I find him extremely annoying and childish.
Will give the read a miss.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Have you ever done this? It sounds fun and fancy but after 2 weeks drives you absolutely nuts. Hotel living sucks.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Have you ever done this? It sounds fun and fancy but after 2 weeks drives you absolutely nuts. Hotel living sucks.
I don't think it's fun or fancy but he was on a loan there for a month. Eiður Guðjohnsen couldn't train with his team for two years in a country where he didn't know anyone, in a small room and he could speak with his parents maybe once a week via landline. That's something that drives you nuts, not being loaned for a month over in the next city whilst living the dream you've made for yourself.

He only has his own experiences obviously but he's making out like it was horrible and I don't buy that. He never had to work to pay for his student loans whilst studying or anything like that because he's a gifted footballer and that sentence evokes the oppostie of sympathy. Like just read Pogba's experience, who got on the bench the same time at him, by comparison.

When people were saying this was a brilliant read I was expecting a bit more than what I did read but seems to me the hardshipped he endured as a footballer was a 6 month injury and not being ready before 20 because he was small.

On the other hand, people that give a personality like Lingard a hard time don't recognize how good he is in a group. You really need people like Lingard in a squad and his general attitude is excellent.

juggernaut1986

I was in Russia last summer. A guy working at the counter of a FIFA store was showing every customer something on his phone. He couldn't stop smiling. When it was my turn to pay, he showed me his phone too. It was a clip of him with Lingard and Rashford doing some kind of funny step. He ran into the players while jogging. He said that Lingard shot the video. He actually started supporting England due to the friendly nature of the players. Lingard may not be the most gifted player but he surely is a lovely character.

LordNinio

Really great read, thanks for sharing.

It's great to see the inner workings of the mind of a footballer like that, and wonderful to see why he plays with a smile on his face.

Playing for United, or England, is everything to him.

Oh and that photo of him with the Roma lads is epic :lol:

Posh Red

I’ve been away on training trips for work and done similar. It did become quite dull and lonely at times. I can imagine over a period of say six months you’d be pretty fed up.

PoTMS

I’ve been away on training trips for work and done similar. It did become quite dull and lonely at times. I can imagine over a period of say six months you’d be pretty fed up.
+1. After a week you just wanna go home. Definitely gets very lonely and boring. Hardly a stick to beat him with.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Wow brilliant read....non often cliche and bluster the likes of Lukaku come out with. Just a genuine read. Gotta love Jesse

glorious

Wow brilliant read....non often cliche and bluster the likes of Lukaku come out with. Just a genuine read. Gotta love Jesse
the feck? Lukaku's story is far more touching than this. You may hate how he plays nowadays. But to criticize his story, which is full of hardships and struggles, is plain odd.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What's the different on living in a hotel or renting an apartment? Why people make it sound like it is a torture living in hotel far away from family?
Or do most in here live with their parents or something?

klayton88

What's the different on living in a hotel or renting an apartment? Why people make it sound like it is a torture living in hotel far away from family?
Or do most in here live with their parents or something?
I spent 6 months living in a hotel and I can tell you, you never really settle in. You can never make it yours. Walk around naked. Blast music. Invite friends over having popped your underpants back on obviously. But joking aside, it's not a great experience long term. Think of Owen in Madrid or even Mou at the Lowry. No matter how nice the hotel, they are not a home.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I spent 6 months living in a hotel and I can tell you, you never really settle in. You can never make it yours. Walk around naked. Blast music. Invite friends over having popped your underpants back on obviously. But joking aside, it's not a great experience long term. Think of Owen in Madrid or even Mou at the Lowry. No matter how nice the hotel, they are not a home.
Like SNow said, it's only a few hours away from his home. I imagine he went home like for 2 days a week. I used to live from hotel to hotel, there's no problem. Unless you lived in cheap motel 6 or something. Also I lived in on rented room (on other people's house) for years when in college.

But yeh. Different people take things differently.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
the feck? Lukaku's story is far more touching than this. You may hate how he plays nowadays. But to criticize his story, which is full of hardships and struggles, is plain odd.
Who said anything about Lukakus story ? I'm talking about the way he interviews in general. There's nothing wrong with 'talking the talk' I suppose to an extent. But he's talkin the talk x 100. Like he's some kind of big man. Running through brick walls for the club, other players need to step up, grown ass men need to deal with it. His tone and demeanour are befitting of Cantona or some other talismanic figure......then you see him play :houllier:

beedoubleyou

I'm not sure how you can have such a mean-spirited take away from reading that. Your lack of empathy astounds me.

kps88

It's all relative, isn't it?

I thought it was a good read but I guess you can do one of these for pretty much every footballer. There's usually hard work required to get to this level.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
United always needs players like Lingard, in fact all teams do,
A decent player who knows what it means to wear the shirt and play for this club.
Someone who gives his all every game and knows what it means to the fans.
Great read.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I think you're severely underestimating how much family mean to some people, and how hard it can be when your world is turned upside down. Just because his circumstances are different than a regular blue collar worker, doesn't mean he's not entitled to have feelings. Having meals delivered to your room is quite different from dinner with your family.

I lived out of hotels for a month last year when I traveled Asia, sourcing manufacturing plants for my company, and I hated how alone I felt after a couple weeks being away from my family, even though they were only a phonecall away at all times.

His entire story is told from his point of view at the time it happened. Just because you are jealous that he has o pportunities you never had, doesn't mean you have to be mean about it. To someone who lives in the slums of India, your life story would be obscene bragging, simply because you can eat properly every day. The context of someones situation matters.

About the article: I always love when players give us a proper glimpse into their actual lives outside of the matches and social media. It's obvious he appreciates his family a great deal, and it shows throughout the article. He comes across as someone that knows how fortunate he is, and is more than willing to show the audience who he is grateful to.

Players citing Sir Alex as an inspiration is always nice to see. For all the hairdryers and football shoes being kicked at Beckham, there is real respect and admiration for the man among a lot of his former players. To this day you still see Ronaldo go out of his way to greet Sir Alex whenever he can. That was 9 1/2 years ago.

beedoubleyou

I think you're severely underestimating how much family mean to some people, and how hard it can be when your world is turned upside down. Just because his circumstances are different than a regular blue collar worker, doesn't mean he's not entitled to have feelings. Having meals delivered to your room is quite different from dinner with your family.

I lived out of hotels for a month last year when I traveled Asia, sourcing manufacturing plants for my company, and I hated how alone I felt after a couple weeks being away from my family, even though they were only a phonecall away at all times.

His entire story is told from his point of view at the time it happened. Just because you are jealous that he has o pportunities you never had, doesn't mean you have to be mean about it. To someone who lives in the slums of India, your life story would be obscene bragging, simply because you can eat properly every day. The context of someones situation matters.

About the article: I always love when players give us a proper glimpse into their actual lives outside of the matches and social media. It's obvious he appreciates his family a great deal, and it shows throughout the article. He comes across as someone that knows how fortunate he is, and is more than willing to show the audience who he is grateful to.

Players citing Sir Alex as an inspiration is always nice to see. For all the hairdryers and football shoes being kicked at Beckham, there is real respect and admiration for the man among a lot of his former players. To this day you still see Ronaldo go out of his way to greet Sir Alex whenever he can. That was 9 1/2 years ago.

Exactly!

Also, working away and staying in hotels would be considered hard working for anyone working in any other industry. Just because it's football doesn't change that.

We're also talking about a 20-year old here. Someone who has dedicated his life to doing one thing and they're sat in a hotel struggling to get picked for Leicester and wondering if it's all been a waste.

It's a kid raised by his grandparents, sleeping on a mattress in a shithole town. He's not stumbled into 100k a week, he's worked hard for it and knows what it means to be poor. He's not inherited his wealth, nobody has opened any doors, football just doesn't work like that. You can't fake it.

The joy and enthusiam he has for Manchester United is fantastic. I honestly don't know why you would even bother supporting the club if you didn't want to see players have this attitude.

He says 'yo' a lot. Who gives a feck? Roy Keane twatted his own players, Eric Cantona kicked a fan and cost us a title and Rio Ferdinand missed a drugs test. But hold the fecking phone, Jessie Lingard is using colloquialism in an article.

Before anyone passes out through bitterness and jealousy, maybe go an explain to Robin Williams's kids how their Dad was rich and famous and had no excuse to be depressed.