Jesse Lingard | Seoul singer

SungSam7

Brian Clough is turning in his grave after that video. What a joke of a player, absolutel clown. Basically a Love Island "star" of football. Gets overpaid for having next to no talent.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There is a lot of inside info from West Ham, going back months, that Lingard was demanding £180k a week. West Ham's offer was apparently £150k a week; even that seems unwise to me.

The breakdown will be £80k a week basic salary + £5m sign on fee split over the course of 1 year (length of deal) so £180k a week.

There is no way Lingard rejects a permanent deal at Newcastle last January, rejects an offer from Everton, rejects West Ham, to sign for Forest for £80k a week in total. Even this summer, Newcastle pulled out because Lingard's financial demands were considered excessive.

At some point several years ago, Lingard clearly decided he would leave United on a free transfer in order to maximise his earnings. He has been willing to sacrifice playing time just for this moment. Forest met his financial demands, no other PL side did.

It all seems astonishing to me but you only need follow the timeline to see what has happened. Once Bruno Fernandes arrived, that was the time to leave, either in that same January transfer window if possible, or more likely the following summer.
That's much more plausible; thanks for filling in the blanks.

Yeah he's actually being prudent with the deal, as he's ensuring he gets paid what he wants, protecting himself from relegation lock in and also still selling himself to other potential suitors. He's basically backing himself to have a blinder of a season, which is the opposite of going there to coast whilst maximising his current earning potential.

If he performs as he's backing himself to, he'll get those bigger contracts at better clubs plus another signing on fee, if he doesn't, he'll still get a signing on fee and be a lower level PL player on a good wage still.

xmas

So Forest will pay him £200,000 a week? Or “close to £200,000 a week” as the article actually says.

They trying to go right back down? Blow up their wage bill? Destabilize the squad by paying a former international this much per week?

WTF?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
If Forrest goes down next year, he'll be off to Saudi for his last big contract.
I highly doubt that unless he has a real stinker of a season and totally ruins his reputation. He still has plenty to offer in my opinion. He was impressive at West Ham and if he can regain some of that form he will be fine.

Djemba-Djemba

It's sad that a local lad, not a manc but Warrington is still pretty close, who supported the club.all his life and who scored a screamer in the final to win the FA Cup for us can leave the club and be so unpopular with the fans.

It's a mixture of his own fault and the clubs fault though. He was never good enough, in his 7 years at the club he had one 2 month period in the 17/18 season where he justified playing for Utd and other than that he was rubbish. His off the pitch behaviour was often cringey and embarrassing, he seems incredibly immature. The weird videos of him on holiday humping a pillow, or shouting BEANS over and over, the tiktok dances, the video when West Ham fans were attacking the bus, the fecking clothing range, JLINGZ. Just all horrible shit.

He should have left in the summer of 2019 at the absolute latest. The fact he clung on for another 3 years shows how appallingly ran we are.

Forest should be prepared for a lot of stories from inside the club to start getting leaked now Lingard is there.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m indifferent towards most of this but surprised some people hate him. He won us an FA Cup.

CarbonStoolBites

Very unlikeable character but I hope he does well for them, I wanted Forest back in the league for years, great club, hope they have a good season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I highly doubt that unless he has a real stinker of a season and totally ruins his reputation. He still has plenty to offer in my opinion. He was impressive at West Ham and if he can regain some of that form he will be fine.
He is at Forrest clearly because they offered him more ££. So based on that same motivation/reasoning, Saudi next would not be all surprising.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Their top earner is at less than £20k?
To be fair, a quick Google search shows that only 4 of their players are paid more than £20k a week, many on between 5-15k - I doubt they'd have pay rises that would see them making more than £80k.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The guy is an absolute clown of a human being. A 16 year old trapped in a 29 year olds body. So glad he has left the club. It’s given me mixed emotions though, because I want Forest to do well and stay up. A grand old name of football. Glad to have them back. But I find it almost impossible to root for Lingard. He’s so destestable.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So Forest will pay him £200,000 a week? Or “close to £200,000 a week” as the article actually says.

They trying to go right back down? Blow up their wage bill? Destabilize the squad by paying a former international this much per week?

WTF?
They only signed him for one year, so at least can jettison him immediately if they go down. I think his actual basic wage is closer to 80k per week. The 200k number factors in his signing bonus.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

WTF?
It's the signing on fee bonus that's added to the basic salary.

hobbers

Surely they haven't given him a big signing bonus for just a 1 year contract?

The whole point of a signing bonus is an incentive for a free agent to sign a long contract. A newly promoted side giving a 7 figure signing bonus to a player signing a 1 year deal sounds literal insanity.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Surely they haven't given him a big signing bonus for just a 1 year contract?

The whole point of a signing bonus is an incentive for a free agent to sign a long contract. A newly promoted side giving a 7 figure signing bonus to a player signing a 1 year deal sounds literal insanity.
Signing on fee bonus + all sorts of clauses like appearance, assist, goal, win bonus and not getting relegated at the end of the season probably add to the 200k
He's their marquee signing afterall :lol:

Just look at Aubameyang's from a few seasons ago

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
To be fair, a quick Google search shows that only 4 of their players are paid more than £20k a week, many on between 5-15k - I doubt they'd have pay rises that would see them making more than £80k.
That makes sense, but still don't think Lingard for £80k is terrible business. The Forest players will understand that new signings will expect PL wages

Pughnichi

He’ll get 2 contracts and 2 signing on payments in space of 12 months. A move driven by money it seems.

Can see him staying in epl beyond this deal. America awaits…just a few more years

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It's a win win. Forrest are getting a great young prospect with a career to build for a year. Lingard gets to build on his burgeoning reputation. He'll be looking to build on this and get a chance to make it at a top club. He has got plenty of time and talent on his side.
He's 29!

Alan Partridge

Grown men hating on him for the most childish reasons. Sure he posts cringy videos but at least he doesn’t rant scornfully on online forums about it.

All the best to Jesse. The lads done nothing wrong.

Revaulx

That's much more plausible; thanks for filling in the blanks.

Yeah he's actually being prudent with the deal, as he's ensuring he gets paid what he wants, protecting himself from relegation lock in and also still selling himself to other potential suitors. He's basically backing himself to have a blinder of a season, which is the opposite of going there to coast whilst maximising his current earning potential.

If he performs as he's backing himself to, he'll get those bigger contracts at better clubs plus another signing on fee, if he doesn't, he'll still get a signing on fee and be a lower level PL player on a good wage still.
All true. It doesn’t seem very prudent of Forest to commit to spreading the signing-on fee over such a short period as one year though. I suppose it saves them from getting stuck with him in the event that they get relegated and he’s been a flop, but it still looks like poor value for them.

Bondi77

Won't be the first young player to move away from United and turn it around. Depay was about the same age when we moved him on and he proved the doubters wrong.
He didn't prove anyone wrong!
He had good stats in a weak league when we bought him..he couldn't cut it at Utd so we sold him to a club in a weaker league and his stats were good again
What does that tell you?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I hope forest get into the relegation zone until they officially post an apology to the football community for not only signing this knob but throwing large sums of money at him.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
More than a little off, if you ask me. I presume it's a short-term deal and he has a release clause if they go down - or he's giving himself one more year in the PL before going to the MLS. In his place, I'd have taken West Ham in a flash

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
All true. It doesn’t seem very prudent of Forest to commit to spreading the signing-on fee over such a short period as one year though. I suppose it saves them from getting stuck with him in the event that they get relegated and he’s been a flop, but it still looks like poor value for them.
If they get the West Ham version, he could honestly keep them up or outside the relegation dogfight, and if he manages that, he'll have been worth every penny. Don't forget, they're essentially paying him with their PL bonus promotion money. He's a scrutinised investment to that end, which makes sense from their side just as much his and they're covering their bases should they be relegated.

I think people forget that Lingard has more to gain by going there and performing superbly than coasting. He's not just playing for the most he's worth on an open market now; he's playing for his future, and what will be the biggest contract of his career if he delivers for Forest.

If he repeats that West Ham form in an inferior team, his stock will go through the roof because he'll be a certified and bona fide PL performer who has proven he can both carry a team and prove he is worth every penny of a longer term contract.

He should be setting his sights on the likes of Newcastle and that jackpot money. They've not gone bonkers in the market yet and he, at West Ham level, would be very useful for them indeed for a while. Initially a starter, but with a long-term eye on him supplanting him and having come off the bench. If Lingard has the contract he wants, I doubt he'll care enough to kick up a stink by then. He'd be 31 or so by then, also.

This could be one of the smartest moves of the summer for both player and club - a mutually beneficial partnership where they're using each other to achieve an objective. Of course, your perception of such will come down to how good/bad you think Lingard is as a player, and whether you think he can repeat his West Ham exploits with an inferior team, or at all, for that matter.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Weird to see so much hatred for ManUtd ex player.

Hopefully he does well and Nottingham forest have a good season.