Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Given how infrequently we play him, we could have gotten decent cash for him this summer. I can’t understand why we didn’t sell him then. It’s the right thing for him to be moved on, but we should have had better foresight this late window.

red4ever 79

Given how infrequently we play him, we could have gotten decent cash for him this summer. I can’t understand why we didn’t sell him then. It’s the right thing for him to be moved on, but we should have had better foresight this late window.
Was going to write a comment then found one that stated what I wanted to.

This 100 times. Poor management from the squad and Ole here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And neither do you so at this point it is a circular argument so best to leave it there.
Which is why I didn't tell you what Pogba wanted to do and only mentioned the same rumours you mentioned which are that United received offers and rejected them.

Kag

All part of his plan. He wants the signing on fee elsewhere and that was always his intention.

TrustInOle

Can't argue with this, even in his limited chances he has impressed this season. Will be a fantastic coup for whoever is able to snap him up, West Ham or possibly Newcastle if they give him an important enough role in the project going forward, but West Ham is the more likely I would feel.

buckooo1978

mismanaged

Sell him for 10/15m last Summer or give him a chance this season

Given his workrate/running and discipline he should have replaced Dan James who was useful in the tougher games... Lingard had a bit more of the quality James lacked

Think he's obviously annoyed and done now based on that tweet

what happened to the Ole feel good factor?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Don't even think what he has or hasn't done to deserve it is relevant.

If if was me and the club ran my contract down and still weren't giving me playing time, I definitely wouldn't be signing a contract for less money, or any contract in a hurry. You'd want some indication the plan isn't to just keep you around to rot on the bench and only be allowed to leave on the club's terms.

And that's exactly what his agent would be telling him even if he wasn't thinking it himself.

Only stupid football clubs let player contracts run into the final year before trying to re-negotiate them or moving the player on.
I can only agree. At his age specially, it'd be stupid to accept less wages
He was presumably given that wage based on his goals/assists back when he was doing a bit of that.

He's contributed the sum total of feck all to United for about 3 seasons.
What noodles said basically.

AFC NimbleThumb

this. Also note that this team is not build for the future. Most of our first teamers (DDG, Maguire, Varane, Fred, Cavani, Ronaldo, Pogba etc) are at the wrong end of their 20s or in their 30s. So this never ending rebuilding process is well never ending.
Oh yes, this too. The age of the squad is fecking dreadful. ‘He gives youngsters chances’, no he plays Mason Greenwood.

It’s time people admitted they were duped for 3 years, it’s the emperors new clothes. The man has done nothing tangible. ‘squad is happier’, crap certainly can’t fly anymore.

He’s made an utter mess of a great opportunity.

clarkydaz

We hit the relative jackpot with him smashing it at West Ham, and still found a way to mess it up. Another clusterfeck from Ed and Ole telling us to trust the process

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We hit the relative jackpot with him smashing it at West Ham, and still found a way to mess it up. Another clusterfeck from Ed and Ole telling us to trust the process
Did they ask people to trust the process or something to that effect? :lol:

Ixion

Lingard, Pogba, VDB will all go and we'll see them do well at other clubs and wonder what happened.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Oh yes, this too. The age of the squad is fecking dreadful. ‘He gives youngsters chances’, no he plays Mason Greenwood.

It’s time people admitted they were duped for 3 years, it’s the emperors new clothes. The man has done nothing tangible. ‘squad is happier’, crap certainly can’t fly anymore.

He’s made an utter mess of a great opportunity.
According to the media we have been trying to sell Dalot for months so we can bring 31 year old Trippier in. That despite we've got laird doing well at Swansea. The irony

Can7onA

He was never really good enough for Man Utd, he should have left on a free years ago, I won't lose any sleep.

AndySmith1990

I have no issue with him leaving, but the time to sell was during the summer. Even if it was for £10-15m, it's better than nothing and could be used towards buying a DM next summer. To tell him he's an important player and very much in the managers' plans, only to never bother using him, is very poor management and we deserve to lose him for nothing.

Redlyn

I don't think anybody will miss Lingard the player. The issue is just the whole mismanagement of the contracts and players. Pogba, Mata, Lingard, Donny, Jones, midfield etc. It's a mess.

Withnail

Pogba should have been given a contract when he asked for it. Instead we went for the mandatory 1 year contract extension only to spend the remaining time begging him to stay. Lingard should have been sold in the summer. It wouldn't hurt if Ole starts playing his biggest summer transfer signing more especially considering what a good eye he's got for talent (according to Ole inners)
If we had we'd be paying even bigger wages to someone who didn't want to be here and who nobody would pay to take off our hands.

Devil may care

Instead of Ole telling he was an important part of his non existent plans, he should have told him he should leave for his career as he was barely going to play, then we might have gotten sone money for him.

stevoc

He's have to be an idiot to look at our squad in the summer and think he was going to get more playing time.

He's played it well, he'll get a large chunk of any transfer fee as a signing on fee instead.
He's never struck me as the sharpest knife in the drawer but yeah he will have known he wasn't displacing Bruno/Rashford/Pogba/Sancho etc.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We don’t know any of the details, I’ll only blame the club here if we were turning down bids in excess of 15m when the player was up for going. If Lingard wanted to stay, what could we do?

dal

This is the way football is now. If I am Lingard, Like Pogba, why would I leave if I can get an even bigger contract on a free, maybe a £5 million sign on bonus. I’d pretend I had a future at Man United also.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we had we'd be paying even bigger wages to someone who didn't want to be here and who nobody would pay to take off our hands.
Unlike Jones, Pogba has value. The club knows it hence wht we offered him a 500k a week salary

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You can't understand why we didn't sell a player that didn't want to be sold?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should have sold him in the summer when we had the chance. Going off the media reports, Ole decided to keep him, like other players, without ever planning to use him unless his hand was forced. Giving him a new deal is pointless, he will never be good enough for the club. Don't understand what role the DoF plays here or Woodward. But handled poorly by the whole club in this case.

I understand why Jesse would be frustrated, if the manager promised you playing time making you turn down a transfer then not being played after having a very good loan spell, then it's fine. But that Instagram post is awful. Ole needs to get a hold of him and have a word. After all the backing from the club, that post takes the piss. Wish Ole was more ruthless and makes an example, but we all know nothing will happen.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
You can't understand why we didn't sell a player that didn't want to be sold?
Was that really the case though? Bizarrely condescending post when quite evidently I would understand that if it were the case (and frankly I didn’t follow it closely so if it was the case, fine).

stevoc

But he can't be sold against his will and most reports indicated he wanted to stay at United and didn't want to return to West Ham.

tomaldinho1

What annoys me on this is the club just have no control/seem so weak on our stance. Lingard is a squad player, he has never been good enough but Ole wanted to keep him around, why because he likes him? Or are we so uncommercial we didn’t see this happening?

Now the messaging is that Lingard is choosing to move, that United are ‘losing’ a player…we’re so sentimentally crippled it’s awful to see.

Lingard posting that just shows how little this stuff means to him and, probably, that’s he feels like Ole has mislead him on game time. It’s time this club went through some meaningful structural changes, Ole is an issue but what’s above is simply out of control.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Whatever about him leaving but he should definitely have been used more this season while he is clearly in the form of his career.

CM

We should've cashed in during the summer. It's looking increasingly like the club blocked the move with no plan in place to use him.

The same is probably true of a few other players too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But he can't be sold against his will and most reports indicated he wanted to stay at United and didn't want to return to West Ham.
But was it made clear to him that he was going to play as little as he has?

If he was bluntly told "there's no future for you here, you'll barely play for us this season, you should leave" but decided to run down his contract then fair enough, there's not much you can do. It seems we weren't that firm though, despite obviously not having a particular need for him.

Based Adnan

Keeping him last summer was the latest example of decisions that anyone can tell are wrong apart from the supposed experts running the club

Okey

Boggles the mind really. But then we're quite wank at selling players. Most of the time. We just don't seem to know how to cash out at maximal value.

edgecutter

Whatever about him leaving but he should definitely have been used more this season while he is clearly in the form of his career.
No, he shouldn't have got any more minutes. His time was up years ago and he should not have been here to even be considered as an option. Cluelessness has meant he is still here.

Redlyn

I doubt he was made to understand clearly that he wouldn't play.

There are other alternative paths that we could have taken over the past 2 years that don't lead to him walking at the end of this season having barely featured while we pay all of his wages.

This situation reeks mismanagement and his selfie just further highlights it.

Last edited:

ForeverRed1

he’s now posting pics of himself at West Ham ... literally could of got 25 mil for him in summer and used it towards getting a dm. Mad

Utd Clem

Anyone remember when he was in the first team and then went on holiday and posted that video which caused issues suddenly he claimed mental health issues and Ole gave him tie to recover.

now though, he isn’t as good as some others but feels his Manchester learn8ng makes him better. Let him leave he is an ego

Irwin99

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I personally think he could do a bit better than West Ham (Spurs/Arsenal level maybe?) but he might want to be at a smaller club where the pressure is off. The move should have happened in the summer, or a few years back really.