Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybee99

Played really well against Chelsea and was arguably our best player in the first half against Wolves... He didn't let them settle at all and his pressing and disruption of their attempt at possession was the key reason we were so dominant in that first half.

But Wolves changed it up, Lingard's pressing became less advantageous to us and he had a poor first 20-mins of the second half, like most of our players did.

It's understandable why fans stick it to Lingard... most of his work is done off the ball and some fans can't, for the life of them, give credit for anything done off the ball. They are only interested in what happens to a player when the ball is at their feet (which is only 2% of any player's performance). Jesse is a disruptor.. a chaser - which is a key attribute required in Ole's gameplan. In fact, Lingard does this better than anyone in our squad. Yet, fans can't see it. Some fans can't see it; I should say. They can't even see that Ferguson played Lingard, LvG played Lingard, Mourinho played Lingard, Ole, Southgate - they all play Lingard because he is vitally important to them. Yet blokes with anonymous usernames on football forums can't see it.

I would suggest that Jesses a measuring stick to see if fans truly understand the game. If you think Jesse is a bad player, you don't get it. If you see the performance in Lingard (like Fergie, LvG, Jose, Ole, Southgate do.. then you understand the nuances of football and don't just judge a player on the 2% of the time they are in possession).
Maybe the single worst post I've ever seen on the Caf. First of all, he did not play for SAF so let's kill this Trumpian myth/lie that has been spouted many times on the Caf. Secondly, do you think it's acceptable for a #10/RW to go 8 months without a goal or assist? Serious question. Do you think a team can compete for top 4 or god forbid a title when an attacker who starts literally every game for which he is available contributes 0 goals and 0 assists for 8 months? All the movement is great but the chief role of a #10 is to make key passes and create goals and he does neither.

NJM78

Maybe the single worst post I've ever seen on the Caf. First of all, he did not play for SAF so let's kill this Trumpian myth/lie that has been spouted many times on the Caf. Secondly, do you think it's acceptable for a #10/RW to go 8 months without a goal or assist? Serious question. Do you think a team can compete for top 4 or god forbid a title when an attacker who starts literally every game for which he is available contributes 0 goals and 0 assists for 8 months? All the movement is great but the chief role of a #10 is to make key passes and create goals and he does neither.
This.

hobbers

Played really well against Chelsea and was arguably our best player in the first half against Wolves... He didn't let them settle at all and his pressing and disruption of their attempt at possession was the key reason we were so dominant in that first half.

But Wolves changed it up, Lingard's pressing became less advantageous to us and he had a poor first 20-mins of the second half, like most of our players did.

It's understandable why fans stick it to Lingard... most of his work is done off the ball and some fans can't, for the life of them, give credit for anything done off the ball. They are only interested in what happens to a player when the ball is at their feet (which is only 2% of any player's performance). Jesse is a disruptor.. a chaser - which is a key attribute required in Ole's gameplan. In fact, Lingard does this better than anyone in our squad. Yet, fans can't see it. Some fans can't see it; I should say. They can't even see that Ferguson played Lingard, LvG played Lingard, Mourinho played Lingard, Ole, Southgate - they all play Lingard because he is vitally important to them. Yet blokes with anonymous usernames on football forums can't see it.

I would suggest that Jesses a measuring stick to see if fans truly understand the game. If you think Jesse is a bad player, you don't get it. If you see the performance in Lingard (like Fergie, LvG, Jose, Ole, Southgate do.. then you understand the nuances of football and don't just judge a player on the 2% of the time they are in possession).
:lol: You are literally insane. You think "Ole's gameplan" (which by the by has proven so masterful these last 8 months) requires a number 10 who CANT CREATE ANYTHING?

Park and Fletcher did the off the ball work for Fergie. They were his disruptors. But, crucially, they were not the fecking focal point of our every attack as well. And even more fecking crucially, when someone played them into a good position they could at least keep the ball and play it on, something Lingard does successfully maybe 1 time in 6 attempts. How many attacks broke down at the touch of Lingard today? Go back over the match and count them, some homework for you.

He's a nothing player who wouldn't get on the pitch for Burnley or West Ham. He's closer to Championship standard than to top-four-aspiring standard.

billybee99

Will he ever get another goal or assist?
Of course he will. And then his idiot fanboys will be out in full force calling him Messi Lingod. It's amazing how goals are so unimportant to the fanboys...until he actually scores one. Then you won't hear about movement or pressing or 2% - only about the worldie.

billybee99

But he certainly rated Jesse and I’d argue with anyone that he certainly should have managed United.
He didn't play a single minute under SAF. The quote is several years old. You think he still "rates" him? He's been watching the same crap as us for the last 18 months.

fergiesarmy1

Of course he will. And then his idiot fanboys will be out in full force calling him Messi Lingod. It's amazing how goals are so unimportant to the fanboys...until he actually scores one. Then you won't hear about movement or pressing or 2% - only about the worldie.
Somebody told me in the pub you can get 66/1 on him not doing either :lol:

I’m 46 and I’m pretty sure I’d hit a fluke shot or pass in the next 35 games if I were on the pitch :D

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
What an absolute crap. Dragging down Michael Carrick, one of the most cultured midfielders England has produced in the past 20 years in order to defend Jesse Lingard who is a worse player than Andros fecking Townsend. Yeah people don't understand football clearly and you are the one seeing the proper picture.
Where on earth have I dragged down Carrick?

I was simply comparing the fact that many fans when Carrick was playing thought he was average and only passed sideways. When in fact he was the player that every player wanted to play with because he was able to do so much without many people noticing. If it weren't for Lampard and Gerrard he'd have been England's #1 midfielder for many many years. It was no suprise when we played AC Milan in the UCL that they focused on him as a focal point and the Italian press absolutely adored him when we played against them

Don't think because I support Lingard means that I dislike Carrick. Far from it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would prefer just about anyone ahead of him. Mata, Periera, Fred, just someone who is not such a pointless player.
That's exactly where I am. I don't care who takes his place, I don't know if they are any good but one thing is sure Lingard hasn't been good for a long time and he should sit in the stands for a while.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
How's that even comparable?
Park was a squad rotation player while Lingard is A FIRST TEAM PLAYER.
I think there are two reasons were seeing Lingard used more than Park was. First, the game is faster and more focused on speed and pressing. I think Park would play more often were he in his prime now. Second, Sanchez isn't performing as expected and Herrera was mishandled with no replacement able to be procured. So Lingard started more, and may start more this season, than Park did traditionally.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Play average players like Lingard, and you get average results. It's not rocket science. If Utd has title ambitions, then Lingard should be on the bench.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Not when it comes to utility players. But how many utterly shite forward players has the club been willing to carry in the starting eleven over the last 30 years? The sorts of players who wouldn't get into the starting elevens of any other top ten side of the time?

For ability and for goal/assist output, Lingard is a million miles away from the likes of Park and Nani.
Well, I don't expect a reasonable debate after that performance! Everyone looked terrible.

I certainly rate Park and Nani above Lingard. But he's an Academy success story, and a local guy, and I don't see why the supporters
I don't agree with that comparison. Park's knees gave out toward the end of his time here and he went out on a low note but he was a heck of a lot better footballer and a million times better professional than Jesse Lingard. Not only that, Lingard has pretty much become our first choice starting 11, while Park rarely had that role. I think it's telling how much our standards have dropped.
Lingard has had luck on his side, he is in the right place at the right time to get lots of minutes. If he wasn't a United youth player, he wouldn't have gone out and bought him, he earned a squad place and is being asked to fill a hole that Herrera left, that Woodward and Ole were unable to fill.

el3mel

This is surely a troll post ?

Fooza

Lingard optimises everything that is wrong with relying solely on utd youth and the 'utd way' or 'utd spirit'. Controversial but I'm sick of this line being used a lot like it's meant to get us to the top - it really won't.

If you ain't good, get rid. Be ruthless. Never have I seen a player at united that's been there for so long only because of energy and that he runs a lot.

What utter bollocks.

Martialfc

I think Lingard is a shocking football player. I’ve never rated him. The fact that we are paying him over 100k a week is criminal. I know half you will say look at his “work off the ball”... any half decent athlete could do what he does he offers us nothing going forward. United are becoming a laughing stock and we will keep regressing until we stop carrying deadwood in our team. He is a championship player at best.. When will we stop giving minutes to sub average players who will never be good enough. The fact that he’s managed to trick the whole industry into thinking he’s young is actually quite impressive.. Lingard is older than Harry Kane and is still revered to as young up and coming British talent! With him as a starter we will never challenge for the league. Sorry to be doom and gloom but I do really think he’s part of the problem.. We are Man Utd and we’ve just lost to palace at home. At HOME!

r0663664

Worships Man City
Lingard is rubbish. I don’t know what the coaches see in him seriously. He is a headless chicken and if he is lucky, he will score a great ball (make him think he is Messi) but the truth, it happen just once in a while. Looks at Chelsea, Frank bringing Mason Mount as a no. 10 and he how he score and create a havoc in defense. I can’t even compare what they contribute. 25 years old vs a 20 youngster. Isn’t it a joke?

fps

Jesse Lingard plays as well as he can. He's not good enough to be in Man Utd's starting XI.

fps

This needs to be posted here again.

KennyBurner

Jesse Lingard plays as well as he can. He's not good enough to be in Man Utd's starting XI.
Ive said this previously. He plays to the best of his abilities. All the blame should head toward Ole for starting him three games in a row. It also shows Ole is clueless throwing him out there as an advanced playmaker. Most of Lingards best performances came in a 4-3-3 were he could roam and move with the ball. He was always going to struggle in a 4-2-3-1 were he is the creative outlet. I just cant blame a bottom 10 player not performing up to expectations to a side aspiring to finish Top 4. Ole needs to sort his team selection and formation if lingard is going to be playing.

fps

Ive said this previously. He plays to the best of his abilities. All the blame should head toward Ole for starting him three games in a row. It also shows Ole is clueless throwing him out there as an advanced playmaker. Most of Lingards best performances came in a 4-3-3 were he could roam and move with the ball. He was always going to struggle in a 4-2-3-1 were he is the creative outlet. I just cant blame a bottom 10 player not performing up to expectations to a side aspiring to finish Top 4. Ole needs to sort his team selection and formation if lingard is going to be playing.
Indeed. Pereira at least got an assist in his outing.

fergiesarmy1

Lingard optimises everything that is wrong with relying solely on utd youth and the 'utd way' or 'utd spirit'. Controversial but I'm sick of this line being used a lot like it's meant to get us to the top - it really won't.

If you ain't good, get rid. Be ruthless. Never have I seen a player at united that's been there for so long only because of energy and that he runs a lot.

What utter bollocks.
Yeah but some poster said he ran length of the pitch on Monday.

Red Stone

Both these quotes made complete sense at the time.

Sir Alex to the press: "Lingard/Macheda/Jones/whoever have the chance to become world class."

Those players to Sir Alex: "You really mean that, omg?!?"

Sir Alex to those players: "Absolutely, if you work as hard as Cristiano does every single day."

Now, Those players were probably never going to be as good as Ronaldo, but at least they'd been given a reason to train as much as possible to improve themselves. That's what a good coach does with youngsters. Those players are now at the height of their careers and it's painfully obvious that they're never going to be league winning quality. It's time to cut the cord with Lingard and Jones like we did with Macheda ages ago.

As far as I'm concerned this season was a write-off as soon as we failed to strengthen our midfield and attack. We might as well give Garner, Gomes and Greenwood minutes on the field instead of bashing our heads against the wall with players that will never be good enough. Surely they can't be worse than our seasoned veterans? Matic, Lingard and Pereira are all painfully average. Why not give the chance to players that have room to improve?

RuudTom83

If he was the only terrier type who did the unselfish role in the team it would be fine.

However for a team like United you cant have 3-4 of the same ilk in the starting lineup week in week out and expect to be creative.

Sadly for the wrong reason, Pogba really is the odd one out in this team, which is why he wants out!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He looks like he's done. I mean I know some people never rated him anyway and I don't think he's good enough to be getting 30+ appearances a season for a top 6 side...but by his own standards his performances this season have been terrible. He is usually sharper, more involved, harder working, and can actually control a football. All three games this season are the worst I've seen him play.

THere's being out of form and then there's just looking completely off the pace and out of sorts.

fergiesarmy1

He looks like he's done. I mean I know some people never rated him anyway and I don't think he's good enough to be getting 30+ appearances a season for a top 6 side...but by his own standards his performances this season have been terrible. He is usually sharper, more involved, harder working, and can actually control a football. All three games this season are the worst I've seen him play.

THere's being out of form and then there's just looking completely off the pace and out of sorts.
Ole is doing him no favours by playing him in this form.

klayton88

Had a really dodgy curry earlier tonight and now I've got the Lingards.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
86 minutes against Chelsea, rating of 7.13
81 minutes against Wolves, rating of 6.26
56 minutes against Palace, rating of 6.15

What are the odds on Solskjaer starting him again in the next game AND Gareth Southgate badger choosing him for his England squad?
He'll be replaced very quickly by Mount or Maddison as both are far more dangerous in the final third. Lingard does has his uses as a Squad player though but I honestly think both the forementioned players bring more to the table.

As for United, i'd just use Mata. He struggles with the pace of the game at times granted but he does far more damage in the final third. Then sub him out for one of our kids when he starts to feel the pace of the game after 60mins.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ole is doing him no favours by playing him in this form.
Who else is there though?

Think I'd rather play Pogba further forwards as the only time we looked a good side last season was with him in that kind of role. No idea why we never tried to go back to it.

But then if you do that someone has to play with Mctominay in midfield, and the candidates aren't brilliant.

Johnny Weather

I know this might be a bit extreme, but when I see that Lingard is starting... I get the same feeling from last season when I saw that Ashley Young was starting. Lingard is simply not good enough to start for Manchester United. As many others have said, if we continue to have Lingard in the starting XI, we will struggle.

Others have also mentioned this: how in the world has Lingard convinced people he’s still young!? I know we joke about it, but seriously! Correct me if I’m wrong, won’t he be turning 27 this season?

With Lingard playing a key role for this team, we will do well to finish 6th!

wr8_utd

:'(
He's up there with Kieran Richardson as Manchester United footballers I absolutely detest. It's a sign of how much of a joke this club has become that this guy is a regular starter for us

Status
Not open for further replies.