Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I think he looks better through the middle as it goes.
Could you imagine playing with Lingard and Januzaj playing on the flanks. Forget having players who can switch to the other side, we'd have 2 players who can just move into the centre and completely change the formation during play.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Was a shame Powell was out injured, as he's got a big future too I think. Would love to see the kids get a run in the Cups.

Welbeck​
Lingard - Januzaj - Zaha​
Powell - Cleverley​

OneUnited24

I couldn't believe that. Seems they would rather pick championship players than anyone from United.
Not the entire issue, would you play a championship player who has first team game time or someone at United who only features for the reserves? Still he does look at talent going by todays showing...

jb8521

He was too old for the under 20s and has never been in an under 21 squad so was never going to be in that squad. Was impressed with him today he's such a clever player that he looks better around better players and it's great to see the benefit of having faith in a players ability and giving him time to grow and mature rather than judging on size like a lot of other clubs. We've already seen the benefit with cleverley and could see it again with lingard and larnell cole

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Was a shame Powell was out injured, as he's got a big future too I think. Would love to see the kids get a run in the Cups.

Welbeck​
Lingard - Januzaj - Zaha​
Powell - Cleverley​

I don't know how Powell has been used in our U21s, but is he cut out to be a central midfielder? At Crewe he played in a very advanced position, almost as a support striker, Rooney-esque. I think his strengths lie with creating half a yard for himself and striking the ball so cleanly. He connects so well and has a fantastic shot on him, with both feet. Has he been playing deeper in our youth ranks? Would be great if he can develop that side of his game and becoming a goal-scoring midfielder like Lampard or something.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Class tonight. Very direct and very good eye for goal. Wilted a bit late on but will develop impressively.

Widnes

I don't know how Powell has been used in our U21s, but is he cut out to be a central midfielder? At Crewe he played in a very advanced position, almost as a support striker, Rooney-esque. I think his strengths lie with creating half a yard for himself and striking the ball so cleanly. He connects so well and has a fantastic shot on him, with both feet. Has he been playing deeper in our youth ranks? Would be great if he can develop that side of his game and becoming a goal-scoring midfielder like Lampard or something.
He has seemed to pick up a few injuries so not seen as much of him as I woul of liked but I have thought that he will develop into a Lampard style player. SAF said that he seen his future at CM and everyone was in agreement, he said the people at Crewe thought the same and the player himself saw his future there so I suspect that's what we must want long term.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was at the game and I was really impressed with Welbeck, Zaha and Lingard. Lingard curled a lovely goal into the top right hand corner.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Jessie played very well. The second goal was quality. His finish for the first was clinical. He made his mind up early and made it look easy. With Jessie, Zaha and Welbeck especially, we have so much energy and threat. Moyes must be pinching himself. Even if it's just a friendly, there will still a big crowd and they were very good.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He could have had one or two more. BTW....where is Nick Powell ? Is he not on the tour ?

Brightonian

He has seemed to pick up a few injuries so not seen as much of him as I woul of liked but I have thought that he will develop into a Lampard style player. SAF said that he seen his future at CM and everyone was in agreement, he said the people at Crewe thought the same and the player himself saw his future there so I suspect that's what we must want long term.
Yep, the people at Crewe actually said that they pushed him into a Rooney-esque position in order to take advantage of his goalscoring ability for the team, not because that's where they ultimately saw him playing.

DocRockter

POW! Right in the kisser!!

What a goal(s) and overall a solid performance from him today. Hoping to see more of him and prove that you don't need money to make a world-class team..

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He was in the middle of a lot of our best stuff, and I'd say the same of our play in the reserves last season. He flew a bit under the radar, as Macheda, King, Januzaj, Thorpe and Cole each took a turn at being our star performer. But he was easily our most consistent performer through the whole reserve season.

I love how comfortable he looks, not a shred of hesitation or nerves at playing with the first team. Very promising performance.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
fecks sake. I'm reaching the point where the youngsters are not even born in the same decade as me.

I don't want to get old. :(:(

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Strange that no-one's mentioning that Giggsy got three assists, the second of which was pure perfection. He's a joy to watch in pre-season year after year.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Great game today, I was very impressed with the lad.

lysglimt

Scout
Opposition wasn't that hard but I can't remember the last time I saw a pre-season match so early where the team actually looked fit and sharp.

Brightonian

There are so many parallels between his situation and the way that Cleverley came into the team. Ok, his loan spell didn't go as well as Tom's all did. But you've had the two impressive tours in a row (well, one and a half so far), being a key part of the youth set-up but perhaps never one of the really hyped talents (like Pogba, Morrison etc)... and now the same sorts of performances as Cleverley had in his last tour before joining the first tea: consistent, integral involvement in play, goals, a particularly eye-catching strike (remember Cleverley's juggled goal in the USA?), and an obvious maturity and rhythm to his football.

Like Cleverley before him, I think that's the sort of involvement which promises at least some sort of future with the team. It's possible for youngsters to turn up with beautiful goals, dribbles and moments of flair here and there and then wilt when it comes to real first team football, but if you can be a real key part of the match like Lingard was today, then you can do it again. You can't fluke that sort of performance.

The Neviller

Have we been transported through time to last season when we signed Powell and this conversation was had time and time again? I'll answer with an old answer from back then. Fergie reckons he's a central midfielder as did his manager at Crewe.

Genius Me!

I agree with brightonian, Jesse impressed me massively last tour so I'm really not surprised to see him playing the way he is. We're going to have a few pleasant surprises this season with some youth players I reckon.

Sam

Do we reckon he's gonna get a chance this season?

I remember being impressed with him on last years tour and hoping we'd see him involved with the first team, but it never happened.

Brightonian

I remember being impressed with him on last years tour and hoping we'd see him involved with the first team, but it never happened.
Well, he's stepped it up in exactly the same way Cleverley did between two tours - from comfortable involvement and not looking out of place, to integral involvement, looking like a key player and, perhaps most importantly, goals. Given that Moyes seems to be just as inclined to give youth it's chance as Fergie was (if not more so), I'd say we'll at least see Lingard start in the cup games, and perhaps in a few league matches too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Moyes seems to be that kind of manager that would give him even more than one chance.

His attacking attitude may be the key to that and today is his day because he clearly impressed new boss.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I agree with brightonian, Jesse impressed me massively last tour so I'm really not surprised to see him playing the way he is. We're going to have a few pleasant surprises this season with some youth players I reckon.
Is that right? Can't remember anyone getting this excited about Lingard before this game. I had to make a thread for him last season because there wasn't one.

Genius Me!

Is that right? Can't remember anyone getting this excited about Lingard before this game. I had to make a thread for him last season because there wasn't one.
I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but doesn't mean I wasn't thinking it. I posted on the Leicester forums actually at how wrong they all were about Lingard.

Status
Not open for further replies.