Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Yeh fair play to him. He looks a good player, but will need to heavily improve this season to make it with us. Doesn't have that wow factor right now but if he becomes as useful as welbeck then we could have a good squad player at least.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's not particularly fast, strong or skillful but his off the ball movement is brilliant.

Brightonian

He's what he has been for a few years now, an excellent player with no wow factor. Can't really beat a man with a dribble, and doesn't have much in the way of flair or lightning speed. Other than that, he's top quality in every area. His movement, intelligence, passing - particularly in intricate moves and tight spaces - work ethic, finishing and ball control are all impeccable.

But without those 'explosive' qualities - dribbling, flair or pace - he's in the wrong position really, and probably doesn't have enough to make it into our first team. These days a team with real European ambition can't really afford to accommodate many enablers, and Jesse doesn't have that x factor which fans and managers demand in wingers and #10s, his two positions. I'd never completely rule it out, especially given how much Van Gaal values footballing intelligence, but it's unlikely.

I see no reason he couldn't become a good squad player for us though. What, other than experience, does Daley Blind have that Lingard doesn't, for example?

Bwuk

He reminds of Thomas Muller in that he isn't outstanding in anything, yet he's a good player.

Muller is world class though, this is just an example.

I'd love him to make it here, but he's 23 this season, and he's probably best off getting a move to another side in the league and playing regular football.

mattsville

He has lots of qualities like a lot players but what stands out is his confidence, he is not phased, worth pointing out that after our Summer splurge last season he started the 1st game, he defo has a future here

Ozio

He has lots of qualities like a lot players but what stands out is his confidence, he is not phased, worth pointing out that after our Summer splurge last season he started the 1st game, he defo has a future here
I don't think that counts for much. He didn't even start in his preferred position that day. He started at fullback because of injuries.

fatboy

I'd love to see him given a chance at least. Yes he's "already" 23, but not everyone rises to prominence in their teens. He's taken a different rout, done ok when out on loan. He could be Cleverley Mark II, or he could be more. We should at least try to find out while he's still our player.

Ekeke

He's what he has been for a few years now, an excellent player with no wow factor. Can't really beat a man with a dribble, and doesn't have much in the way of flair or lightning speed. Other than that, he's top quality in every area. His movement, intelligence, passing - particularly in intricate moves and tight spaces - work ethic, finishing and ball control are all impeccable.

But without those 'explosive' qualities - dribbling, flair or pace - he's in the wrong position really, and probably doesn't have enough to make it into our first team. These days a team with real European ambition can't really afford to accommodate many enablers, and Jesse doesn't have that x factor which fans and managers demand in wingers and #10s, his two positions. I'd never completely rule it out, especially given how much Van Gaal values footballing intelligence, but it's unlikely.

I see no reason he couldn't become a good squad player for us though. What, other than experience, does Daley Blind have that Lingard doesn't, for example?
Passing, pressing, tackling

ricky-romeo

he is a decent finisher around the edge of the penalty box isn't he?

he'll make a good left winger who cuts inside onto his right peg and got goals in him. is he good enough for united? at 23 i'm not sure but i think he will end up having a good PL career at the very least.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Both the club and player just need to make a decision. Keep him and use him or sell him. Doesn't help either him or the club by sending him out on loan again.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeh fair play to him. He looks a good player, but will need to heavily improve this season to make it with us. Doesn't have that wow factor right now but if he becomes as useful as welbeck then we could have a good squad player at least.
Well for last two seasons it was about him vs Zaha. Zaha had the 'wow factor' yet failed to do anything with it, Lingard seems to have a very good attitude and decent goal-scoring ability, I think that during our tour with Moyes he was the player with most goals or so, was deadly as hell.

Would love to see him given a chance here, cracking volley that.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sounds a bit like a certain Paul Scholes.

oskarutd

Ferguson always said he would be a late bloomer, he is a great talent and will get his chance.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, he was pretty unlucky at the start of last season and was being picked by LVG until he got injured. I think if he impresses in training/on tour before a loan offer comes in; he could feature next year.

Sir A1ex

Would be great to think that goal may help kick his career on. If he's got the right temperament, then the sudden exposure he can get form this tournament could be great for his development. Probably a better time for it to happen than when a player is 3 or 4 years younger tbh.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I like Jesse and think he definitely has a future at this club. Like others have mentioned, he is not a player who'll wow you but looks intelligent enough to make a difference and excel surrounded by other top players. Think he'll be a solid squad player for us.

hebegebe

A Championship player, our academy seem pretty good at churning these out at the moment.

Classical Mechanic

Sounds a bit like a certain Paul Scholes.
He is nothing like Paul Scholes. More like a very poor mans Iniesta IMO.

I thought he looked fantastic for the 20 minutes he played before getting injured! Beating men left and right.
He did well aside from the goal. Carried the ball forward well. 'Fantastic' might be a little generous.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Doesn't change the fact, he's Championship standard and is nowhere near our squad, let alone first team.
I'm always wary of anyone who presents their opinion as fact.

Regarding how close he is to our squad/first team, the last time he was available for selection Van Gaal picked him ahead of established first teamers so I'm not sure you're right about that either.

hebegebe

I'm always wary of anyone who presents their opinion as fact.

Regarding how close he is to our squad/first team, the last time he was available for selection Van Gaal picked him ahead of established first teamers so I'm not sure you're right about that either.
Which established first teamers? I seem to remember an injury crisis when he played wing back against Swansea.

hebegebe

Nani, Januzaj and Fellaini all started on the bench in that game.
Took your time, struggling to find the info on Google? none of those three are what you could call a wing back and two out of the three are hardly established first teamers under Van Gaal. Januzaj replaced Lingard after his injury as probably the best available fit in that position.

Van Gaal obviously rates Lingard highly, that's why he farmed him out to Derby in the 2nd half of the season!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Took your time, struggling to find the info on Google? none of those three are what you could call a wing back and two out of the three are hardly established first teamers under Van Gaal. Januzaj replaced Lingard after his injury as probably the best available fit in that position.

Van Gaal obviously rates Lingard highly, that's why he farmed him out to Derby in the 2nd half of the season!
:houllier: spanner

Re sending players out on loan as evidence the manager doesn't rate them, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response...

hebegebe

:houllier: spanner

Re sending players out on loan as evidence the manager doesn't rate them, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response...
Not when we were pushing for a top four finish, if Van Gaal rated Lingard, he would have been straight back in the squad after recovering from injury, not playing for Derby in the Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.