Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Apples and oranges
Willock has potential to improve due to his young age Lingard doesn't. Not to mention he had a contract till 2023 while Lingard's expires in less than 12 months.
Willock had 8 goals in 14(3) appearance for Newcastle.

stevoc

No it wouldn't.

I know Lingard has become a meme here that everyone wants to get rid of, but he's objectively worth a lot more than £15million in this day and age, even with a year left on his contract. We shouldn't just accept any bid they throw at us.
It would, at this stage any sort of fee for a player who clearly isn't in the managers plans would be a decent fee and £10-15m would be quite good.

I remember the same optimism surrounding the fees we would receive for Darmian, £25-35m+ yet he ended up leaving for less than £2m.

Same with Lingard I honestly don't know where these ideas come from that we're going to get £25m+ for a 28 year old, with less than a year left on his contract, who's a decent/good player but wildly inconsistent. And that's without even mentioning Covid.

He's only worth what buying clubs are willing to pay. And to be honest it's very arguable he's been worth anything north of £20m for years.Had we sold him in 2018 at 25 after his standout season for United then yeah £25-35m would have been the asking price. But since then I'm not so sure.

I'm assuming a lot here want to see him gone for the quoted small amounts because it helps us buy a midfielder - what makes you think £10-15million gets us Camavinga or Neves? As for getting him off the wage bill - he'll be gone next summer anyway, the club isn't going to be dramatically better off financially, nor will it help us prepare a package for someone like Cristiano Ronaldo this summer just because we managed to get Lingard off the books.
Well if he leaves for a fee of around £15m now vs leaving for nothing next year then the club would be £20m+ better off including his wages. Even for a club like United £20m is a significant amount of money.

Last edited:

stevoc

Attackers are more expensive, English tax, he already had a stint there so minimum bedding in.

All in all, in a market where Aaron Ramsdale can go for 24m, Ben White 50m and Tammy Abraham went for 40m, asking for 25m for Lingard isn’t unreasonable. I think we should be flexible though and ask for sth like 20m upfront and 5-6m addons tied to easily achievable goals like appearances.
All 3 of those players are 5 years younger than Lingard, almost certainly were on less wages maybe around half in some cases and probably had more years on their contracts left.

Canuckred64

I’m surprised there has not been much interest in him. You’d think a club like Villa could use him after losing Grealish. Maybe even Leceister.
There was talk of Villa being interested, not sure how reliable it was though. Hopefully West Ham will buy him for £20 m +

Rooney1987

* Fixed Abraham's price

Those are three 23 year olds, with upside potential, who aren't on the last year of their contracts. The first two are also moved "up" (implied higher fees than when heading in the opposite direction, due to salary situation). Those don't apply to Lingard who's 28, on his final year and about to move "down". The Varane comparison was far more apt imo.
What about Ings, same age and contract situation went for 25mil. Ings is even more injury prone. 20mil + for me is fair. Anything under that I'd say no.

This will be very unpopular but I'm not against keeping him as a back up to Bruno, the amount of football they'll played and the amount with Qatar coming will create so many injures.

Redcy

th
What about Ings, same age and contract situation went for 25mil. Ings is even more injury prone. 20mil + for me is fair. Anything under that I'd say no.

This will be very unpopular but I'm not against keeping him as a back up to Bruno, the amount of football they'll played and the amount with Qatar coming will create so many injures.
The kind of backup who doesnt create or score?

Irwin99

Anyone think he'll run his contract down or leave on the cheap(er) side in January?

croadyman

Selling him is our only chance of being able to make one more signing this window

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jesse will be here next season, new contract and to protect his value in the market he will get games. Games that young, hungry players might have got instead. Lingard did nothing as an AM at United for a year, not one goal contribution, that is not a good player, he went to WHU had a six week purple patch and disappeared again.
What do you mean disappeared again?

golden_blunder

Staff

Goalscorers ALWAYS go for more in the market

golden_blunder

Staff
I'm assuming Escobar means he should go.on strike to force a move. Not sure how it helps in this case as you also need a buyer.
Oh I see.
well the biggest issue is that West Ham are skint as are other teams. Hell even we made 2 signings based on pay later foundation’s
Then we have him coming back in good form asking what his chances at United are, nothing wrong there from his POV
So coming back to @Escobar point i don’t see how it’s the lads fault. I get people are frustrated but it’s not the players fault

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just worry about ole picking Lingard and him playing for us yesterday.

I actually liked the player whilst he was here but feels like his time is up and should be used for transfer benefits.

Did not feel good seeing him.

I wonder if it shows that United are either not interested in Declan Rice (& used Lingard to drop prices down) or that West Ham have still overvalued him.

stevoc

I just worry about ole picking Lingard and him playing for us yesterday.

I actually liked the player whilst he was here but feels like his time is up and should be used for transfer benefits.

Did not feel good seeing him.

I wonder if it shows that United are either not interested in Declan Rice (& used Lingard to drop prices down) or that West Ham have still overvalued him.
Maybe one last throw of the dice and putting him in the shop window to generate some interest, in an effort to try to get him shifted.

Tallis

Somewhat surprised that he hasn’t secured a move so far. His performances certainly proved he would be a great signing for a mid table club.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is obvious that he is staying or do what Real Madrid did to James, which is let him leave for free to get his wage off the book.

Red_toad

Oh I see.
well the biggest issue is that West Ham are skint as are other teams. Hell even we made 2 signings based on pay later foundation’s
Then we have him coming back in good form asking what his chances at United are, nothing wrong there from his POV
So coming back to @Escobar point i don’t see how it’s the lads fault. I get people are frustrated but it’s not the players fault
Yet about to buy Zouma for 20 odd million….

Silas

Oh I see.
Isn't that the norm? Leicester asking for Harry's full fee upfront was a pretty significant aspect of the deal if I recall correctly.

James Peril

I am surprised Aston Villa haven’t gone for him after selling Grealish. Both for first team and for squad purposes, even if signing Buendia and Bailey. Lingard - Buendia - Bailey is pretty good, and all can swap positions. Watkins and Ings in front of them, Traore, Ramsey et al in reserve. I did not think Lingard would be good enough for a team like Villa six months ago, but his stint at West Ham showed me otherwise. Fair play to him, I seldom have to admit stuff like that.

Villa can also afford Lingard, whatever he would cost between 20-40 million. Lingard however, for some utterly bizarre reason, would think he is too good for Villa and that’s his career summarized to be fair.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Why can we not do a deal like 10-15 mil guaranteed fee plus 5 mil add-on if West Ham reach Europe, etc.
We should really sell him this transfer window.

Gandalf

Why can we not do a deal like 10-15 mil guaranteed fee plus 5 mil add-on if West Ham reach Europe, etc.
We should really sell him this transfer window.
We cannot do that deal because at the end of the day he can only be sold for what people are willing to pay and at this late stage of the window it is fairly clear nobody is offering that sort of money. In this situation we really have very limited leverage, looking at transfers around Europe a lot of decent players are moving for fairly minimal fees and a ton of loan deals are happening also. We have to sell as a loan does us no good so we have limited options and any clubs interested know that and will try and deal for as little as they can. I don't see any sort of future for Jesse here and so we will probably end up selling him on deadline day for whatever we can get as any kind of fee plus saving on his wages is better than running his contract down as an unused squad member.

KennyBurner

This is supposed to be our Lingard money. Everything that can go wrong is definitely going wrong. After all the goals he gave them this is how they reward him?

crossy1686

career ending
How have West Ham found £30m for Zouma but they couldn't find £25m for Jessie? They're hoping to get him on a free aren't they? Something shady happening here

Status
Not open for further replies.