g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jesus | Arsenal Player (a very naughty boy)

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Arsenal are very lucky that Pep was willing to help his mate Arteta out and gift a player of that quality for 40/50m. He will be at one of Europe's elite clubs in a few years - Madrid replacement for Benzema would be my guess

Chief123

Arsenal are very lucky that Pep was willing to help his mate Arteta out and gift a player of that quality for 40/50m. He will be at one of Europe's elite clubs in a few years - Madrid replacement for Benzema would be my guess
It was a decent price city for for him considering he only had 1 year left on his contract.

Also considering the fact he was surplus to requirements now.

fergieisold

Seriously? He seems to lack any kind of end product. Or maybe I'm just used to watching him play for City when he was anonymous most of the time.

SER19

He is a top player.

But he slowly becoming the most overrated player about. From when he was signed he been elevated to higher levels before he even started playing, to be fair to him he has started well and is a top signing for arsenal, but listen to Neville during the match you'd think it was the real Ronaldo banging a hat trick against us for real Madrid.

Absolutely baffling to be honest
I remember in his first season Danny Murphy called him the best young talent since Messi, on match of the day. Baffling is the word

wr8_utd

:'(
Benzema actually scores loads of goals. Jesus is quite unlikely to be that replacement and Mbappe/Haaland are far more likely.

LoneStar

He's an annoying player for the opposition, and I mean that as a compliment to him. Has good technical ability, presses and seems to link up well with teammates. Arsenal got a great deal on him, we should have maybe tried to sign him. Although Pep/City might not have allowed it I suppose.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's OK for Jesus not be prolific, Firmino isn't but RF had Mane and Salah scoring the goals. Martinelli and Saka would have to do the same to justify Jesus playing like he did on Sunday.

largelyworried

Not sure I was overly impressed with Jesus yesterday. He definitely made our defenders work hard, but that's what they're there for. The important thing is that I don't feel like they were ever stretched to breaking point. Even the goal was actually great defending from Dalot to track his run and tackle him, just a shame that Malacia let Saka run unchallenged for the rebound.

He adds a physical presence that you need up front, particularly a team like Arsenal that has so many ball players in midfield, so I think he's important for them. But I'm not sure he's going to bag the number of goals that they need. They're going to need Martinelli and Saka to really step up and increase their goalscoring to be successful.

Flexdegea

I remember in his first season Danny Murphy called him the best young talent since Messi, on match of the day. Baffling is the word

I can't even remember that, but that is scandalous :lol:

Mike Smalling

Jesus kicking Martinez, White kicking out at Rashford, Saka on Malacia. Anyone else I'm forgetting? We're the dirty ones though.
A small one that really annoyed me was Gabriel not getting a yellow for his foul on Bruno leading up to their goal.

NLunited

He was great Sunday, but got neutralized by team defending.

I love his hustle, would like to see more of that from Rashford and Martial.

I would want Jesus to play the box more, and less dropping wide/deep to collect the ball.

Chief123

He started the season off to a flyer. I genuinely thought we’d see much more goal scoring output from him than he did at City.

5 in 13 games so far. I always wonder how he doesn’t score more goals as he gets into so many good opportunities. I wonder if this will start to hurt Arsenal as he’s the focal point of their attack. They do seem to share the goals around which obviously helps but you’d feel you need more goals from your main striker when challenging at the top.

BarryWinks

Yeah, not a goal threat unfortunately for them. He always had the hustle and techniques but wasn't clinical enough and didn't get into goal scoring positions enough for city.

I agree that the lack of an actual goalscoring striker will hurt them this season. Their defense isn't that strong to keep teams from scoring against them, and I don't see other members of their front four scoring more than a combined 35 this season, if they even score that much.

Wondering about Jesus though, didn't he say a few years ago that I wanted/preferred to play as a wide forward? I'm surprised he's played all season as a lone forward in that case.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s never been prolific. He’ll be a good 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 for them but you want more for £45m. Also he’s a moany little cnut spending most of his time rolling around on the floor.

Chief123

Yeah, not a goal threat unfortunately for them. He always had the hustle and techniques but wasn't clinical enough and didn't get into goal scoring positions enough for city.

I agree that the lack of an actual goalscoring striker will hurt them this season. Their defense isn't that strong to keep teams from scoring against them, and I don't see other members of their front four scoring more than a combined 35 this season, if they even score that much.

Wondering about Jesus though, didn't he say a few years ago that I wanted/preferred to play as a wide forward? I'm surprised he's played all season as a lone forward in that case.
I’m beginning to realise how pep really is a genius. He mostly used Jesus on the right wing in his latter time at City. I can see exactly why now. He’s very good on the ball in terms of dribbling, very good under pressure and has the ability to drive inside with the ball. Even when City had no striker last season, pep would opt to use him wide. I imagine it’s due to his lack of prolific goal scoring.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
He’s never been prolific. He’ll be a good 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 for them but you want more for £45m. Also he’s a moany little cnut spending most of his time rolling around on the floor.
Personally I think 45mil for him is a steal. I was never expecting him to turn into a prolific CF straight away; personally if he can get 15-20 goals (in all competitions) this season that would be a success IMO. We're not dependent on our strikers now as we were with Laca and Auba. Back then they were the only two scoring for the most part. Now we have our wingers and midfielders scoring quite regularly. The way Jesus links up our play and pulls defenders to him is an integral part of that.

You think £45m for City's benchwarmer was a steal?
Yes because I think he's a very important player for us and our style of play. He is also only 25 so is hopefully just coming into the peak of his powers. We are never going to spend 100mil on the flavour of the day. I do think we need another forward as I don't think Nketiah cuts it. ATM everyone is pitching in with goals but I wouldn't mind a proper, more clinical CF in the mix.

Cause it isn't. £45m is a lot of fecking money.
When you pay upwards of 85mil for largely unproven players like Sancho and Antony, yes, I think 45mil is a steal for a proven PL winner.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Personally I think 45mil for him is a steal. I was never expecting him to turn into a prolific CF straight away; personally if he can get 15-20 goals (in all competitions) this season that would be a success IMO. We're not dependent on our strikers now as we were with Laca and Auba. Back then they were the only two scoring for the most part. Now we have our wingers and midfielders scoring quite regularly. The way Jesus links up our play and pulls defenders to him is an integral part of that.

Chief123

C’mon, in this market right now £45m for a brilliant forward is very good value. Jesus is an excellent player despite not being prolific. I’d happily have him at Utd as I think he’d do very well in a role similar to what Martial does for us.

When prices for the likes of Toney are being touted as £70m+ then £45m is a great price. You honestly can’t find many proven premier league players for that price.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
They are top of the league largely due to him (they had the same players last season minus him and were attrocious) so yes 45m is a steal

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Remember that game he ripped us apart?

Yeh, me neither.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This shouldn't be used to downplay his value. City's squad is built to have 2 great players per position.

"City's benchwarmer" managed 13 goals and 12 assists last season (playing RW and CF). Which is more than Rashford, Sancho and Martial combined last season - how's that for taking away context?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This shouldn't be a used to downplay his value. City's squad is built to have 2 great players per position.

"City's benchwarmer" managed 13 goals and 12 assists last season, playing RW and CF. Which is more than Rashford, Sancho and Martial combined.
Comparing him to players who were shite also shouldn't be used to overplay his value either, he's got 5 in 13 this season. It's a fair valuation, it wasn't a steal. I'm not saying he's shit, just that £45m wasn't a steal for him.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Jesus at £45 million is good value, him not scoring for a few games doesn’t change that.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Comparing him to players who were shite also shouldn't be used to overplay his value either, he's got 5 in 13 this season. It's a fair valuation, it wasn't a steal. I'm not saying he's shit, just that £45m wasn't a steal for him.
Fair, but I also think you have to take into consideration the striker market. There's a lack of good options and it's difficult to do any better with 45M.