Jesus | Arsenal Player (a very naughty boy)

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Jesus was great business at 45M, utter bollocks that he wasn’t

wr8_utd

:'(
Won't say he's a steal but it was very good business for the money. I think a lot of people were underrating the signing before it happened and now its gone to the other extreme where he's gotten a bit overhyped. Still a great signing for them, of course.

largelyworried

£45m isn’t much these days so it’s decent business, if your aim is top four. But if Arsenal have aspirations of winning the league, he isn’t good enough to be the main man at that level.

mav_9me

£45m isn’t much these days so it’s decent business, if your aim is top four. But if Arsenal have aspirations of winning the league, he isn’t good enough to be the main man at that level.
I don't think Arsenal started the season with that.

arnie_ni

Well they are top of the league after 13 games so he and they can't do much more. He's been a great signing for him and someone like him in ETH system would take us to another level

largelyworried

Well they are top of the league after 13 games so he and they can't do much more. He's been a great signing for him and someone like him in ETH system would take us to another level
I said win the league, not be top after 13 games.

ROFLUTION

Won't say he's a steal but it was very good business for the money. I think a lot of people were underrating the signing before it happened and now its gone to the other extreme where he's gotten a bit overhyped. Still a great signing for them, of course.
I’d say he’s a steal if he keeps doing what he does for 2 seasons (arsenal in Champions League at minimum). He is basically helping them to Champions League and is kind of paying for his own signing. Can’t remember a system-signing that has fitted a team better in a long time.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
If we make top four then it'll be the first time in 6 years that we play in the CL. That'll be a great outcome and one that 99% of Arsenal fans would've taken over the summer. We take stock of our situation over the summer, get Partey backup, Jesus backup/competition and then have a go at the title. We're fighting a machine like team with the resources of a nation, asking for the title would be a tad big headed given our immediate history of being an EL team.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
It's like we said when he got all this mad praise early in the season, he's the same player we had. Good, not great.

Chief123

I don’t think it’s fair to rate Jesus just based on goal return. His valuation shouldn’t be based just on that.

His introduction has raised the level of Saka, Martinelli and Odegaard around him. He’s a big component of their fast fluid build ups.

Similar to how Firmino in his prime didn’t score much but help elevate the game of those around him. It would have been unfair to value Firmino on a goal return as well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don’t think it’s fair to rate Jesus just based on goal return. His valuation shouldn’t be based just on that.

His introduction has raised the level of Saka, Martinelli and Odegaard around him. He’s a big component of their fast fluid build ups.

Similar to how Firmino in his prime didn’t score much but help elevate the game of those around him. It would have been unfair to value Firmino on a goal return as well.
One of Saka or Matinelli are going to have to start producing Salah/Mane like numbers to compensate for Jesus then

Chief123

One of Saka or Matinelli are going to have to start producing Salah/Mane like numbers to compensate for Jesus then
I don’t think they need to because Arsenal have contributions from Odegaard and Xhaka who have both been operating as 8’s. It’s different to how Liverpool were heavily reliant just on the front 3 with very little from midfield.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don’t think they need to because Arsenal have contributions from Odegaard and Xhaka who have both been operating as 8’s. It’s different to how Liverpool were heavily reliant just on the front 3 with very little from midfield.
Can't see either of those two midfielders getting enough goals personally

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well no it isn’t arguable because it’s a stupid reason plucked from the same logic factory as Ronaldo should play because he scores goals.
You're getting very emotional about this.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's like we said when he got all this mad praise early in the season, he's the same player we had. Good, not great.
Yep. He always scored in short bursts throughout the season for you so his overall ratio was decent and during that period he was the best thing ever. Son is a similar sort of player in that sense

largelyworried

And yet you've wrote him off after the same 13 games, while they are top
Its much easier to be top after 13 (edit: actually 11) games than after 38 games, what's hard to understand about this?

If we make top four then it'll be the first time in 6 years that we play in the CL. That'll be a great outcome and one that 99% of Arsenal fans would've taken over the summer. We take stock of our situation over the summer, get Partey backup, Jesus backup/competition and then have a go at the title. We're fighting a machine like team with the resources of a nation, asking for the title would be a tad big headed given our immediate history of being an EL team.
Yeah don't disagree that Arsenal should be thinking that way, get top 4 then progress from there. Just making the observation that getting Jesus probably doesn't jump you both steps at once.

mshnsh

I'll only judge him next season. I have seen a good number of footballers whose first season, due to the adrenaline, is on another level and than they come crashing down to their own level the following season. In any case, he was bang average at City most of the time.

I’m beginning to realise how pep really is a genius. He mostly used Jesus on the right wing in his latter time at City. I can see exactly why now. He’s very good on the ball in terms of dribbling, very good under pressure and has the ability to drive inside with the ball. Even when City had no striker last season, pep would opt to use him wide. I imagine it’s due to his lack of prolific goal scoring.
Honestly every time I watched him at City, he did looked OK and not really anything like you describe him.

Chief123

Honestly every time I watched him at City, he did looked OK and not really anything like you describe him.
I have to say I’ve seen him doing things at Arsenal that he didn’t show at City. Especially his willingness to dribble with the ball which suggests instructions at city were probably to dribble less. He’s a brilliant dribbler especially in tight situations. He’s one of few strikers who can manufacture a chance for themselves which is why it’s even more surprising he doesn’t score more.

mshnsh

I have to say I’ve seen him doing things at Arsenal that he didn’t show at City. Especially his willingness to dribble with the ball which suggests instructions at city were probably to dribble less. He’s a brilliant dribbler especially in tight situations. He’s one of few strikers who can manufacture a chance for themselves which is why it’s even more surprising he doesn’t score more.
This could be a first season thing. I have seen a number of footballers play way beyond their capability in their first season only yo fade away. His relavely average play at City enhances my suspicion. To judge him a success, I'd wait till next season atleast.

OmarUnited4ever

Jesus had one year left on his contract hence why Arsenal were able to get him for only 45m which I consider a steal, and he is no bench warmer at City, last season he played 41 games of which he started in 28 games, he isn't a regular starter but he is at least an important player within a loaded squad like City's, he is similar to Mahrez (47 apps 30 starts) and Sterling (47 apps 32 starts) in terms of importance

MUFC OK

Missed a couple of sitters today and threw himself to the ground illogically to try get a pen. His name isn’t rashford though.

Foxbatt

Good heavens. Now people are trying to crucify him for throwing himself on the ground? If Arsenal put in enough crosses he is eventually going to get at the end of a cross.

Edwards6

Good heavens. Now people are trying to crucify him for throwing himself on the ground? If Arsenal put in enough crosses he is eventually
He's definitely resurrected his career at Arsenal

Last edited: