Joao Felix / on loan to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What a waste. Another one with a De Jong mentality.

Mainoldo

Wouldnt believe everything written. But just like Ronaldo I’m sure Mendes is doing a poor job of over-inflating his client.

PSG was probably offered him in a hope they had cash to waste.

Rightnr

Wouldnt believe everything written. But just like Ronaldo I’m sure Mendes is doing a poor job of over-inflating his client.

PSG was probably offered him in a hope they had cash to waste.
What's crazy to me is that Atletico's own president pretty much said they want to sell him, he doesn't get on well with Simeone professionally and he himself wants to go. And yet they want €100m. Crazy.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I scrolled through Nizaar's timeline and didn't see one mention of Joao and MUFC. Pure clickbait it seems.

That said I do not doubt that we are interested in Joao, but it is probably dependent on Rashford leaving for PSG. If Rash wants out then Joao makes more sense and he is more flexible as a player than Rash too because ten Hag can use him in midfield. Also if Rash leaves in the summer then I think it's possible we add Joao via buy or loan with option to buy and play Rash at 9.

I'd prefer Vlahovic. Just add the pure striker. Or Ramos, though I think the wc buzz is inflating his value. But this is a roster very much in transition still and it is pending the sale so all bets are off. The loan with option to buy seems to favor the ownership change in timing and intent.

I scrolled through Nizaar's timeline and didn't see one mention of Joao and MUFC. Pure clickbait it seems.

That said I do not doubt that we are interested in Joao, but it is probably dependent on Rashford leaving for PSG. If Rash wants out then Joao makes more sense and he is more flexible as a player than Rash too because ten Hag can use him in midfield. Also if Rash leaves in the summer then I think it's possible we add Joao via buy or loan with option to buy and play Rash at 9.

I'd prefer Vlahovic. Just add the pure striker. Or Ramos, though I think the wc buzz is inflating his value. But this is a roster very much in transition still and it is pending the sale so all bets are off. The loan with option to buy seems to favor the ownership change in timing and intent.
Supposed it’s in this one, which is behind a paywall:
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...lix-matheus-cunha-memphis-depay-b1047366.html

Mark at United Stand reported it as the story saying that Chelsea was being offered Felix, but that United would match any offer for him.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
What's crazy to me is that Atletico's own president pretty much said they want to sell him, he doesn't get on well with Simeone professionally and he himself wants to go. And yet they want €100m. Crazy.
For sure, but at the same time, is it not also very predictable?

First of all, Joao Felix is still a big talent and a good player.

But — given his track record at Atleti, he is a 40-50m player max. He has been a complete bust. There are no ifs or buts about it. It’s not really about usage and environment. He hasn’t been good for them.

The only way they can get more for him, is to create a heck of a buzz around him and create an environment where managers can’t help themselves and get carried away. Will it succeed? Like it has happened before. Football clubs are pretty awful on the transfer market.

But what they effectively do is create a range between obvious value (40-50m) and imaginary value (100m). Would they meet at the middle point? Would someone meet them there? You never know, think it’s hard to find someone willing to pay 75m. It’s all about the market. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but they are giving it a shot.

It’s like if we are selling Sancho in like the summer of 24’ after getting more of the same from him to that point. Are we talking about a 25m return or a 50m return? Would it help if we asked for 75m? If Chelsea sell Kepa in the summer, would it help if they asked for 100m? It shouldn’t, but history shows that sometimes it does work.

Rightnr

For sure, but at the same time, is it not also very predictable?

First of all, Joao Felix is still a big talent and a good player.

But — given his track record at Atleti, he is a 40-50m player max. He has been a complete bust. There are no ifs or buts about it. It’s not really about usage and environment. He hasn’t been good for them.

The only way they can get more for him, is to create a heck of a buzz around him and create an environment where managers can’t help themselves and get carried away. Will it succeed? Like it has happened before. Football clubs are pretty awful on the transfer market.

But what they effectively do is create a range between obvious value (40-50m) and imaginary value (100m). Would they meet at the middle point? Would someone meet them there? You never know, think it’s hard to find someone willing to pay 75m. It’s all about the market. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but they are giving it a shot.

It’s like if we are selling Sancho in like the summer of 24’ after getting more of the same from him to that point. Are we talking about a 25m return or a 50m return? Would it help if we asked for 75m? If Chelsea sell Kepa in the summer, would it help if they asked for 100m? It shouldn’t, but history shows that sometimes it does work.
As always, you make a lot of sense but here these guys are asking for €130/40m. That's pretty outrageous, even if his contract has half a decade on it.

I also imagine he's on major wages, so between saving on those and actually getting someone to really impact the team performance, I think it's quite self-defeating to be putting these figures out there.

Also, if he's advertised at a more realistic fee, you might attract some more buyers but hey, what do I know

EtH

Considering we have wingers who act more like strikers (Rashford/Garnacho) than traditional wingers I think Felix could be a good option. We would lack a traditional striker but I guess Liverpool/City have done okey without one for a few years.
And Bruno. That was my main interest in signing him, along with his obvious talent of course. But I am worried about him dealing with the physicality of the Prem, much like Sancho. Kane in the summer would be a can’t miss signing.

RopersReturn

Be amazing if we could snap him up in the summer, think he’d link up very effectively with Bruno and Rashford. Throw in Antony and the confidence Shaws been displaying lately, and we’d be challenging for the title again.

croadyman

Yeah I would prefer a pure number 9 like Vlahovic/Osimhen,however despite the cost ideally we need a fluid forward option too.

Mainoldo

As always, you make a lot of sense but here these guys are asking for €130/40m. That's pretty outrageous, even if his contract has half a decade on it.

I also imagine he's on major wages, so between saving on those and actually getting someone to really impact the team performance, I think it's quite self-defeating to be putting these figures out there.

Also, if he's advertised at a more realistic fee, you might attract some more buyers but hey, what do I know
It’s the United Paul Pogba scenario only difference is this guy isn’t playing. So I’m pretty confident nobody touches him for less than £60m or a loan to buy.

The buy option would also depend on the loan. I doubt anyone touches the £100m unless it’s a two year loan. The funds in Europe just aren’t there unless it’s Newcastle and City. Even then Newcastle would probably require the two years to be able to spend that money.

Jericholyte2

It’s the United Paul Pogba scenario only difference is this guy isn’t playing. So I’m pretty confident nobody touches him for less than £60m or a loan to buy.

The buy option would also depend on the loan. I doubt anyone touches the £100m unless it’s a two year loan. The funds in Europe just aren’t there unless it’s Newcastle and City. Even then Newcastle would probably require the two years to be able to spend that money.
It's a bit different from Pogba, Simeone has Atletico playing with almost zero attacking freedom, which Joao Felix would need to flourish. Pogba's shown that only a very select set of circumstances allow him to flourish.

I'd go for him on a loan as either:
- 1yr with an option for Xm EUR, which becomes an obligation if he scores Y goals
- 2yr with an option for Xm EUR, which becomes an obligation if he scores Y goals or makes Z appearances

Mainoldo

It's a bit different from Pogba, Simeone has Atletico playing with almost zero attacking freedom, which Joao Felix would need to flourish. Pogba's shown that only a very select set of circumstances allow him to flourish.

I'd go for him on a loan as either:
- 1yr with an option for Xm EUR, which becomes an obligation if he scores Y goals
- 2yr with an option for Xm EUR, which becomes an obligation if he scores Y goals or makes Z appearances
The only caveat to that is Joao Felix hasn’t shown anyone he can perform at a top level at the top level.

I agree a loan with objectives is the only way a high fee is achievable.

RoyH1

Indeed. Also where is he going to play? Unless Messi has already let PSG know that he's leaving, Felix would be a bench warmer over there.

jesperjaap

Indeed. Also where is he going to play? Unless Messi has already let PSG know that he's leaving, Felix would be a bench warmer over there.

Where does he play for us though? I know the answer if obviously CF, but is he really a striker.....especially in the premiership, doesnt fit to me, I think he is ideal in the Fernandes role....and people saying he hasnt been good enough the last couple of years, lets not forget neither has Fernandes here for a fair while now.

I think Felix is a massive talent and was all up for him before he moved to Atletico, but given what we need up front I feel and in other areas, isnt the signing for us

Boondog

Where does he play for us though? I know the answer if obviously CF, but is he really a striker.....especially in the premiership, doesnt fit to me, I think he is ideal in the Fernandes role....and people saying he hasnt been good enough the last couple of years, lets not forget neither has Fernandes here for a fair while now.

I think Felix is a massive talent and was all up for him before he moved to Atletico, but given what we need up front I feel and in other areas, isnt the signing for us
The negative spin on Joao is that rubber band effect from the ultra high expectations when Atletico signed him. He didn't live up to it so there's fallout but he remains the same talent that he was, which is a player who has enormous upside and can do a lot of different things on the pitch.

People say he's midfield and I don't disagree. But I think he can score for a PL team if he's consistently played and coached on the wing because the boy can dribble. Under a manager like ten Hag who changes things up based on opponents he can crash the box due to that dribbling ability or play back and enable the other players with his passing which is also excellent.

He could very easily end up being a superstar that some team gets on the cheap relatively speaking. So I refuse to overlook this player and if we get him I'm gonna be stoked about it. I'd move Rash's ass to 9 immediately and have Joao split with Garnacho on LW. When Bruno needs time off Joao can play there. When Eriksen needs time off Joao can play there. Very exciting player IMO and even though I prefer a striker I am hopeful we get to see what ten Hag can do with this kid.

Dannn411

Not a chance in hell anyone would touch this guy for anywhere near what Atletico are asking. If he moves it going to be on a loan with an option to buy at a heavily discounted price (€40m). He's a tweener who does not have any qualities that make him great in a defined position. He's decent at many positions but not world class at any. Not quick, not particularly shifty, not aggressive enough on the ball, not a great goal scorer. Like Isco, Griezmann, James, Dybala, these guys' prices eventually end up crashing back down to earth when clubs realise the mistakes they have made. Griezmann is having a renaissance now because Deschamps seems to have found a defined position for him where his qualities fit.

jesperjaap

The negative spin on Joao is that rubber band effect from the ultra high expectations when Atletico signed him. He didn't live up to it so there's fallout but he remains the same talent that he was, which is a player who has enormous upside and can do a lot of different things on the pitch.

People say he's midfield and I don't disagree. But I think he can score for a PL team if he's consistently played and coached on the wing because the boy can dribble. Under a manager like ten Hag who changes things up based on opponents he can crash the box due to that dribbling ability or play back and enable the other players with his passing which is also excellent.

He could very easily end up being a superstar that some team gets on the cheap relatively speaking. So I refuse to overlook this player and if we get him I'm gonna be stoked about it. I'd move Rash's ass to 9 immediately and have Joao split with Garnacho on LW. When Bruno needs time off Joao can play there. When Eriksen needs time off Joao can play there. Very exciting player IMO and even though I prefer a striker I am hopeful we get to see what ten Hag can do with this kid.
Yes I agree with a lot of what you are saying about Felix. TBH honest that is exactly why I wouldnt sign him though.

Fantastic player that is probably best as a lw. rw or am but really a bit of a gamble to be signed as a striker in the premier league. And Rashford for me is a LW not a striker. With us having Rashford, Garnacho, Elanga, Amad, Pellestri, Antony, Sancho for the wife spots and Fernandes, Eriksen, Hannibal, Iqbal that can play the attacking midfield role....as good as Felix is, we are totally stacked with talented options in his best areas but other positions we are pretty weak in options wise.

I dont doubt he could be a great signing for someone and wouldn think it a surprise at all, but I dont think he moves cheaply

Boondog

Yes I agree with a lot of what you are saying about Felix. TBH honest that is exactly why I wouldnt sign him though.

Fantastic player that is probably best as a lw. rw or am but really a bit of a gamble to be signed as a striker in the premier league. And Rashford for me is a LW not a striker. With us having Rashford, Garnacho, Elanga, Amad, Pellestri, Antony, Sancho for the wife spots and Fernandes, Eriksen, Hannibal, Iqbal that can play the attacking midfield role....as good as Felix is, we are totally stacked with talented options in his best areas but other positions we are pretty weak in options wise.

I dont doubt he could be a great signing for someone and wouldn think it a surprise at all, but I dont think he moves cheaply
Your take isn't too far from mine. I'm simply open to adding him and would enjoy seeing how ten Hag uses him. But I admit he feels like a luxury when we have more basic needs. Only reason I think he may be in play is because so many teams are seeking strikers. When the prices get pushed up on guys like Ramos to where you're paying premium on him then all of a sudden the higher talent iffy types like Felix don't look so bad. At least to me.

Either way I expect Sancho will be moved, probably a loan and it might happen in January. Same with Maguire though I think he will be straight sold. Also I suspect Rash is going to PSG in the summer. If not then the club has zero room for Felix, because his value would be functioning as a forward while they transition him to midfield. So for Felix specifically it comes down to Rash.

Assuming Rash sticks around then we're sorted at LW with him and Garnacho. So I would think both Felix & Gakpo are out. And honestly even if Rash wants to go to PSG and tells the club he's gone they can wait until summer for his replacement so the best of all options to me at least is to go get Vlahovic. That's my preferred addition.

My January optimum wishlist would be Vlahovic to fill striker, a depth RB who is inexpensive enough to allow Dalot to return, and a depth CB. That gets us top four I think. But I'm prepared for a crazy and unexpected combination to include options like Felix.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Could a loan move make sense for Atletico Madrid?

1. The record loan fee to date is like 19m (not counting the Mbappe loan that seems to be just a FFP ploy). That was for the full season of Morata. I think odds are pretty high that AtM won't be able to find a buyer willing to pay even 70m for Joao Felix in January, unless Felix is willing to go to Aston Villa.

2. From my point of view, the talk about 125-145m £ for Felix must be complete bull. That is typical Fabrizio Romano lending himself to hype a player's value in favor of getting info from the club later on. We saw how it worked with Jonathan David and LOSC, were Romano get info directly from LOSC on three transfers, then starts to talk about how Jonathan David would be an awesome 60m signing for United. If Ole and Woodward were in charge, perhaps it would have worked. I have nothing against David, but paying anything more than 25m for such a unproven player is of course a joke.

But it shows that AtM are desperate and it shows that they are afraid of getting low balled if Felix is put on the market. You never know how much someone's value can fall. Look at Jadon Sancho, if he returns and shows that he doesn't have any mental issues but doesn't perform much more on the pitch than what he have delivered so far -- what could we get for him? Perhaps someone would ant up -- but many would certainly try with real low-ball offers. When you talk about a bust signing that cannot get playing time for a weak AtM side -- any mentioning of a 145m £ price tag is of course only an attempt to move the "span". If their ask is 145m, someone might refrain from a 35m low-ball offer.

What would AtM settle for? I don't know to be honest. I would bet a lot on that 95m is an absolute max threshold from their point of view. Felix is not playing. When he is not playing, he is not improving his value. On the contrary -- his value decreases by the week. Felix has done nothing the last years to give him a price tag North of 100m. If he has more issues, don't perform when he play, there is no guarantee that you get 50m for him in a year. I think a much more reasonable number is 60-70m . Not many players are sold for more than that. During the summer window -- only one player went for more than 70m. Only one in the entire world. That was Antony. Tchoumani was 68m. Nunez 64m. Isak 59m. De Light 57m. Raphinha 49m. Everyone other than Raphina had accomplished a lot more than Felix that is for sure. If you want to get any other team than a desperate Manchester United to pay money for Joao Felix, I think it will be extremely hard to get someone to pay like 80m for him. For Barca, Real, Bayern, Arsenal and the likes, surely they would never go above 70m. If AtM are completely delusional, they could ask for up towards 95m. But any kind of level headed take must be around 60-70m.

3. We should have around 20-30m for transfers (a) without taking up additional loans and (b) without selling anyone. Give Atletico Madrid a record loan fee of 20m for a 6 month loan, with a 60m buy option in the summer. Even if Felix comes here and busts completely, has a fall-out with ETH or whatever -- the compensation Atletico get in the form of 20m should at least cover a big part of "the loss" incurred for them by loaning out such a prized asset (which they of course are hesitant to do).

We get a 6 month evaluation period to see how Joao Felix can fit into ETH's game, the Premier League and what not. The cost for that is high -- 20m -- but if we decide to proceed with buying Joao Felix, we get a discount on Joao Felix' transfer fee since its set to 60m, AtM would probably not sell Felix to us for 60m in January.

And like, if Atletico Madrid tries to sell us that Felix has this fantastic potential -- we wouldn't mind agreeing to some really high mark add-ons with a transfer like this, right? AtM can get an additonal 25m if Felix win a Balon d'Or. Another add-on if Felix scores 100 goals for us before he is 30. Whatever.

-> Ultimately, I just have a hard time seeing how anyone -- other than perhaps Aston Villa or Newcastle -- could be willing to make an offer more attractive to AtM than the above loan offer. There will never be a ton of buyers in January. Money is short after the pandemic all over. Teams aren't in the habit of making 70-80m transfers. If like Bayern does that -- its for a player that they know 100% will be world class, not a bench player from AtM. Arsenal don't have that money. PSG is out. City has no room for him.

From our POV, the one key quality ETH probably values the highest on his team, that is his midfielders ability to deliver the final pass. To be able to make the passes KDB does for City.. To be able to make the passes FDJ made for Ajax. If there is one area I would say that Felix absolute is world class -- its when making those passes. Felix can play across all the top 4 positions. And from there, the step down from Bruno's role to Eriksen's role -- is a very very common move to make in football. All in all, he could become a really flexible addition for us, that still has a lot of potential. I mean if we look at Modric at the same age, I would say that Felix is better. A young Modric would never been a success as a No 10 for Simeone.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
In addition, getting a player like Felix who is super flexible and can play across all the top 4 positions -- is really valuable since with him we would with Rashford have two players who has potential to play well as a No 9 at a high level.

Why is that valuable? I just think we are underestimating the likelihood for us to get that world class No 9 in the summer.

Victor Oshmien?
Sure, he would be really good (although he thrives the best in more of a counter attack set-up). But Napoli have cut back a lot on salary and sold players for a lot more than they have bought players for the last years. Even the year they bought Oshmien, they net positive transfer balance, sold for more than they bought. Napoli is looking to quiet comfortably win the Serie A this season. They could definitely go deep in the CL. Many would hold them as a top 4-5 favorite even. Which is fair.

Would Oshmien want to come to us if we miss the CL? What would Napoli's ask for Oshmien be? I don't think he would force a move to us even if we make the CL. We have many holes on the roster. 150m for Oshmien eats up our entire budget. And we are probably not getting a top 5 striker in the world. We would probably have to pay him insane wages too. So its perfectly possible that we couldn't get Oshmien, that he wouldn't want to leave the Serie A Champ which is challenging for the CL for a team outside the CL in the PL. Or if he isn't inclined to force a move, Napoli could set a ridiculous price. 175m or whatever. They don't need to sell him.

Benjamin Sesko? He is the real deal for me. Would be my No 1 target. But facts are that he will make a transfer this summer. He is an insane talent. Sure we can speculate on that Leipzig perhaps might sell him before playing one game. I would not rule that out, if nothing else, they already has a log-jam at the striker position. Werner has been great for them since returning. Will he sit? They also have André Silva and Yosuf Poulsen. But would anyone be surprised if RB Leipzig did "not" sell a player before playing the player one game? Of course not. You can't bank on Sesko being available, right?

Harry Kane get mentioned a lot. I think there is a really good reason for that, I.e. Tina. There Is No Alternatives. Also seem like Tottenham is preparing for a life without him, having brought in Richarlison and being rumored to trying to sign Laturo Martinez and the likes.

And sure, he could be an option. But like again, its not like no hurdles exist. Does Harry Kane want to leave Tottenham? I am sure they does not "want" to sell him. He might force a move, but its not like they would want to get rid of him. He is by far their best player. In addition, he is North of 30. He is played in an insane amount of games by Conte. Dalot's workload is nothing compared to Kane's. How fresh will Kane be next season? Will he stay healthy this year?

Ivan Toney could be mentioned. Is Marcus Thuram really good enough?? He isn't a young player with the future infront of him. He is at his peak. What if Brentford wants Antony money for Toney? How big are Toney's issues off the pitch? A few others could be mentioned. But lets be honest here, there is definitely not a single surefire world class striker out there that we can be sure to get -- even with new owners. Napoli loses the CL final this spring and Oshmien says something like 'I want to stay with this team at least one more year and give it a chance to write history', would anyone be surprised? We didn't have much luck snatching Koulibali from Napoli back in the day, right? Nor did anyone else. Leipzig goes 'We aren't taking calls on Sesko, we just bought him. You are welcome to call us back in the summer of 2023. *click*' Unlikely? Hardly. We could miss the CL and Tottenham get into it. Why would Kane leave Tottenham for us? In any event, he could want to stay with Tottenham. He could want to go to Bayern Munich. It is not like anyone seriously think that we are 2-3 away from a title anyway. He wouldn't break the PL scoring record for Bayern, that is true, but he could definitley win a title and surely be a contender for the CL title.

To be brutally honest, I think it is a bit naive to claim stuff like 'if we cannot get a world class striker in January we MUST get one in the Summer, it is PRIO 1'. It is perfectly possible that we won't be a CL team next season. Which world class striker will be available? Who would want to come to us, especially if we aren't even in the CL? Bayern want that World Class striker too. Chelsea also want that World Class striker. If -- one -- becomes available, we must win a bidding war against them. We "could" of course get a world class striker. I wouldn't rule it out. But honestly, should we even be assigned a 50% shot at signing a world class striker in the summer? The worst thing we can do is paying 125m for a striker that comes here and busts.

From my point of view, having taken the above into account, I am not at all surprised that ETH is flirting with the idea of Rashford playing as a No 9. I am not at all surprised that he is so invested in Antony Martial. Nobody is gifting us a World Class striker. Teams in much better state than ours have spent many many years looking for a world class striker without finding one. Did Barca have anyone performing at the highest level for them between Eto'o in 2009 and and Suarez in 2014? Zlatan didn't work with Messi. David Villa's 18 goals in 10/11 was not horrible, but far from good as a striker for Barca. After that he never scored more than 10 goals. I would say that its really hard to find a true world class striker.

I think we need a plan ready to get by without one. Given the holes we have in the squad, I don't think we are in a position where we summer after summer can spend most of our transfer fee on a striker that doesn't become what we are looking for. In that context, Felix helps us a lot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
8M loan (half season) and 100% wage, but no buy option is not ideal. It is just basically a loan.
Type of deal that lets you see whether or not it’s Simeone shackling him or not. I’d take that risk on a 6 month loan no obligation.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Not trusting anything from Duncan Castles, especially regarding a Mendes client. He will put out whatever story Mendes wants.

Giggsyking

Even from a loan deal? Really?

I certainly see no harm in taking him on loan.
Young, talented and certainly capable of improving our creativity and goal threat.

No brainer for me.
He has not shown that he is a good player in 3 years, plus we are going to pay around 14m for having him for 5 months. It is a stupid deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.