Joao Felix | Signed for Atlético Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’m not sure how you can blame Ed for getting Sanchez. It’s not his job to judge a player’s ability. He goes for the targets the scouting team and manager identify.

He’s made plenty of mistakes sure, but this one’s on Mourinho.
It is however his role to make an informed assessment about how much to pay a player each week and whether or not to pass on a player if their demands are too high.

beingshe7don

I’m not sure how you can blame Ed for getting Sanchez. It’s not his job to judge a player’s ability. He goes for the targets the scouting team and manager identify.

He’s made plenty of mistakes sure, but this one’s on Mourinho.
From a business point of view, this was such a bad bad decision even if Sanchez did score a few more goals. Sanchez was made top earner of the league without giving it any thought how it would screw up our wage structure.... that's not on Mourinho.... that's Ed's fault. We didn't need a LW and yet we bought a LW.

beingshe7don

No video in this thread yet?

Felix demonstrates maturity well beyond his years. His skills are not for show-boating but for actual deception and there's a plan behind every move. He seems to be a good header of the ball which isn't bad for someone whose 5'11. He's quick and two-footed and brings something different from what we have at the club.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

Felix demonstrates maturity well beyond his years. His skills are not for show-boating but for actual deception and there's a plan behind every move. He seems to be a good header of the ball which isn't bad for someone whose 5'11. He's quick and two-footed and brings something different from what we have at the club.
From that video, it's his vision and passing range is what impresses me the most. Seems like an exciting talent.

Hope Di Marzio is right.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You really think they're headed out? I'm hoping we can sell/release Sanchez (barring some kind of miraculous resurrection in the next 2 months), but I'd be very surprised if we sold Lukaku.
The problem with Lukaku is that he will want to be starting matches. If he is playing second fiddle to Rashford he will leave.

Gasolin

It might take him a year to settle to the bullying defenders in the league but he seems to have a good first touch, I like that he doesn't necessarily try to control the ball but let it flow and choose the right option. Maybe he will bring something special on the right side. How would we use him though? He seems to like the ball and will drift a bit inside.

meamth

I think he’s a second striker.

Wary about these inflated priced Portuguese league players. Often more hits than misses.
But then again (Ole's style of speaking), We wouldn't want to miss another Bernardo Silva. I think he is worth the investment.

meamth

5"11 isn't actually short., in some cases the 5"11 dudes can be interpreted as a 6 footer.

Well at that height, it's the sweet spot for an attacker.

SecondFig

I know people have been on his case recently, but I would be shocked if we sold Lukaku. He bulked up for the world cup and has been out of form a bit, but everyone goes through ups and downs and he's still a quality player that brings some unique characteristics to the squad.

Sanchez I would love to see step up before the end of the season. If he keeps under performing I wouldn't be surpised to see him moved to somewhere like in france or italy if the right offer came in, but that may be tough given the wages he's on. Unless there's some injury he's carrying that we don't know about.
Absolutely - I'd love to see him back to his best, but that's increasingly looking like it's never going to happen. But getting rid of him is going to be difficult because of his salary - it's going to have to be a free-transfer for a start, but even then... Maybe Juve could afford and want him? But can;t see many other clubs who can want him and afford his wages.

RedTiger

Half mast

From the video he looks like he could play the front 5 positons:) lovely array of passes on him.

ghagua

I don't see why he couldn't play the lingard role, like against Tottenham and Rashford and Martial play in the half spaces between CB and full backs. Certainly looks like he'd have the vision for that role.
Exactly how I would like the lineup. Unfortunately the price is the going rate so we have to pay over the odds to land him, that's only if Barca or Madrid decide they don't want him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Exactly how I would like the lineup. Unfortunately the price is the going rate so we have to pay over the odds to land him, that's only if Barca or Madrid decide they don't want him.
Yeah, seems to be the model for Benfica. There’s probably a good chance Liverpool go for him too, only making it more expensive.

Womp

idiot
We need a top class cb as well as possibly a CM/FB too. Don't see us spending the money it will take to sign this kid, potentially blowing half or over half our transfer budget.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

First impressions are extremely talented - can pretty much do anything from an attacking perspective but lacks the elite tier pace to be used out wide permanently - so that rules him out of solving our wing positions.

Only position I see working for him here would be as a Pogba replacement and we shifted into a 4231 behind striker or as a false 9 in a 433 taking Rashfords spot.

One of those players who is a talent that you don’t want to miss out on but not necessarily a player who solves any of Uniteds problem positions at first glance and may prove difficult to fit in.

Bestietom

I read that we have started negotiations for Bruno Fernandes also. Seemingly we have been in touch with his agent.

A very skilful player who can open up defences.

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
Can already say that he is the biggest young talent I've seen playing for us

In recent years I've seen the likes of Bernardo Silva, Joao Cancelo, Renato Sanches, Lindelof, Nelson Semedo, Guedes... Di Maria, Matic, David Luiz some years before... But I really think that he is one level above. He is decisive and fulcral, even at 19 yo

Yesterday:

jamesjimmybyrondean

I read that we have started negotiations for Bruno Fernandes also. Seemingly we have been in touch with his agent.

A very skilful player who can open up defences.
I hope this is true and we get him. Watched him on YT and the guy makes a lot of killer passes and shots and can also defend. Would be a smarter buy than going for Neves or Ndombele if he's cheaper

Sporting fans say he's their best player and he's consistent.

Would love to see him beside Pogba. Only problem is Herrera is doing well for us and we all have a soft spot for him

How much do you think we can get him for?

izec

The sensible thing to do would be to stay another year at Benfica. We could also have a better look at him and our squad and where to fit him in. Currently, i dont see it.

Water Melon

If the lad has been approached by big boys he will move. From the video youtube looks a top talent.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm really excited about this one. Could be the next big thing in a couple of years, looks so promising, shades of Ronaldo. I'll be gutted if we miss out to someone else in the summer. We're not going to get De Ligt, we've missed out on De Jong, we didn't get Bernardo Silva or Sane, we absolutely have to get this one.

You would hope that after our Lindelöf deal, Benfica would be more inclined to do business with us again.

Adnandos

One thousand percent going to end up being one of those player we’re mad we didn’t buy before they’re setting the world on fire at Monaco/Dortmund and will end up costing 200million because we didn’t buy now.

crossy1686

career ending
One thousand percent going to end up being one of those player we’re mad we didn’t buy before they’re setting the world on fire at Monaco/Dortmund and will end up costing 200million because we didn’t buy now.
He's the kind of player Fergie would go for and I'm hoping Solskjær would also. We're lucky really because Mourinho wouldn't even entertain a deal for this lad.

Hans Moleman

He reminds me a bit of Tevez (just going by this video). That low centre of gravity and quick movement in tight spaces, good strength and speed of thought even when 2 markers are kicking him, tenacious, good in the air despite modest stature, comfortable as a finisher and as a passer. Even his technique and running style looks a bit similar.

Sanche7

Great talent but not what we really need is his best position is as #10. Pogba is the perfect #10 for us. Before we buy him, we will have to figure out where to play him

Art Vandelay

Great talent but not what we really need is his best position is as #10. Pogba is the perfect #10 for us. Before we buy him, we will have to figure out where to play him
We need alternatives to Pogba and another versatile forward wouldn't go amiss. Especially when Pogba is going to be at the renewing his contract stage very soon, has Raiola as an agent and although his form is now very good that has not always been the case. I think we need another 10, preferrably a youngster like this that can cover other positions, just to help limit the ways we can potentially be bent over a barrell when negotating a new contract.

Sanche7

We need alternatives to Pogba and another versatile forward wouldn't go amiss. Especially when Pogba is going to be at the renewing his contract stage very soon, has Raiola as an agent and although his form is now very good that has not always been the case. I think we need another 10, preferrably a youngster like this that can cover other positions, just to help limit the ways we can potentially be bent over a barrell when negotating a new contract.
He wouldn't start over Pogba and he would be expensive.

I agree we need another creative player and I would love us to get someone like Fekir or Eriksen. IMO if we are getting a youngster, it should be Sancho & /or De Ligt because that would address two positions where we are lacking much quality and those two guys are proven at a higher level than Felix,plus Sancho can play anywhere across the front 4 and is very creative + a very good dribbler

JohnnyLaw

I agree we need another creative player and I would love us to get someone like Fekir or Eriksen. IMO if we are getting a youngster, it should be Sancho & /or De Ligt because that would address two positions where we are lacking much quality and those two guys are proven at a higher level than Felix,plus Sancho can play anywhere across the front 4 and is very creative + a very good dribbler
He wouldn’t need to start over Pogba. We’ve seen Pogba link up perfectly with a fluid attacking set up that often featured Lingard in offensive central areas.
Playing a diamond 4-4-2 with Felix/Lingard would also solve issues with keeping all of Lukaku, Rashford, Martial and bringing through Greenwood.
Playing with a right-winger is not essential to us playing good football, it’s just a matter of whatever the manager prefers.
And your final sentence by all accounts applies just as well to Felix as it does Sancho.

beingshe7don

He reminds me a bit of Tevez (just going by this video). That low centre of gravity and quick movement in tight spaces, good strength and speed of thought even when 2 markers are kicking him, tenacious, good in the air despite modest stature, comfortable as a finisher and as a passer. Even his technique and running style looks a bit similar.
You can't really compare the two especially in terms of low center of gravity. Tevez is 5'6 whereas Felix is 5'11 which is close to being a 6 footer. He does possess a good control of the ball, ability to control the ball in tight spaces and footballing brain like Tevez does. This guy will be better than Sancho... I hope we don't lose out on him for Sancho whose no doubt a good player but Felix is of a different class.

beingshe7don

He wouldn’t need to start over Pogba. We’ve seen Pogba link up perfectly with a fluid attacking set up that often featured Lingard in offensive central areas.
Playing a diamond 4-4-2 with Felix/Lingard would also solve issues with keeping all of Lukaku, Rashford, Martial and bringing through Greenwood.
Playing with a right-winger is not essential to us playing good football, it’s just a matter of whatever the manager prefers.
And your final sentence by all accounts applies just as well to Felix as it does Sancho.
Sancho is more of a Figo in style whereas Felix is more of a Kaka in style. Both Figo and Kaka were Balon D'or winners. Felix would also offer another option upfront as a ST or a false 9 when we are faced with injuries. I can't say the same about Sancho.

beingshe7don

Felix doesn't play in the same position as Pogba. Felix plays as a RF, LF, ST, SS & No. 10. Sancho cannot play as a ST. He does not possess the finishing of Felix at the moment.

beingshe7don

Pogba is NOT a No. 10. He's best as a CM, AM who mainly operates on the left. Felix cannot play in CM but operates anywhere in attack, something like a Lingard but more flair, more passing range and better finishing.

Devil may care

Pogba is NOT a No. 10. He's best as a CM, AM who mainly operates on the left. Felix cannot play in CM but operates anywhere in attack, something like a Lingard but more flair, more passing range and better finishing.
Agreed, he'd excel in the false 9 role Lingard has played for us a few times IMO, with Rashford and Martial as the split strikers, the fact he can also drift out to the left and Martial come inside is a bonus.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Odd that Juventus want him when they have Dybala. Also odd Man City are interested when they have KDB and the two Silvas.

Seems too good a player that we'd sensibly go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.