Joe Rogan

Dan_F

So much freedom that women can’t get an abortion in 2021.

NotThatSoph

As Rogan says time and time again, he is a moron, therefore you shouldn't listen to him and most important of all you shouldn't criticize him for what he says. After all, he is a self-described moron that people shouldn't listen to.

Since Joe Rogan knows that no one will listen to what he says, which is of course why he calls himself a moron (it's not just a cowardly deflection to avoid criticism, I promise), it makes perfect sense to release political ads comparing anti-vaccine measures to the Holocaust. After all, no one puts out political content for political reasons.

By the way, Joe Rogan is a moron, so this is fine.

Oh, and Joe Rogan is a leftists that loves Bernie Sanders. The fact that he supported Trump and literally came when Texas turned red is just because he's a moron, not because he wanted Trump to win and because he believes Texas will die with a democrat in charge. He did say those things, but he's a moron so that's fine.

NotThatSoph

He must be losing listener's from this?
Sure, but he's gaining too. And he got $100m from Spotify so I guess it's 33/33/33 if he's going for new listeners, just doesn't give enough fecks to pretend anymore or he's just latched into another crazy thing. It is after all true that he is a moron, it's just not the excuse he pretends it is.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How did his podcast become so popular in the first place? What attracted viewers to him?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
MMA viewers love him. He does call the fights rather well.
You'd be hard pressed to find a dedicated MMA viewer who either loves him or thinks he calls fights well. He's basically a nuisance who was kept on because he's friends with Dana and has a popular podcast.

Drainy

How did his podcast become so popular in the first place? What attracted viewers to him?
He let interesting people talk for a while without becoming hostile, shot the shit with his mates and was generally relaxing and entertaining when I watched back in the day.

His platform boomed because he was fairly inoffensively on the 'offensive' side of youtube at a time when the algorithm was driving a lot of traffic to alt-right / alt-lite / 'anti-SJW' side, which he was fairly 'anti-SJW'.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Personally for me, it was the guests, but only the science or academic sorts. With Rogan himself, I used to find him fine as a host (but couldn't believe he was stand up, never laughed at a thing he said), but over time I found him harder and harder to bear.

NotThatSoph

He is right 50% of the time on that.
There's actually a rather famous MMA commentator that has talked a lot about this concept, and it was named after him. I believe it's called Schrôdinger's hurt; before a commentator has called that someone is hurt the fighter is simultaniously hurt and not hurt, but when called hurt the fighter will either get hurt or not hurt. Quantum MMA is rather confusing, to be honest.

Dr. StrangeHate

There's actually a rather famous MMA commentator that has talked a lot about this concept, and it was named after him. I believe it's called Schrôdinger's hurt; before a commentator has called that someone is hurt the fighter is simultaniously hurt and not hurt, but when called hurt the fighter will either get hurt or not hurt. Quantum MMA is rather confusing, to be honest.
Actually I never thought about it that way. Joe is a genius, essentially there are parallel worlds and in atleast one of them he's hurt.

NotThatSoph

Actually I never thought about it that way. Joe is a genius, essentially there are parallel worlds and in atleast one of them he's hurt.
I tried to come up with something funny to continue this, but just like Rogan I'm not a comedian.

caid

Personally for me, it was the guests, but only the science or academic sorts. With Rogan himself, I used to find him fine as a host (but couldn't believe he was stand up, never laughed at a thing he said), but over time I found him harder and harder to bear.
Yeah i dont think i can listen to him anymore. I guess it'd be ok if it didn't need to take him in the slightest bit seriously, but like you i was only there for the science and academic sorts. The class of those types he's been getting on seem pretty desperate for a while too.

Kopral Jono

Rogan's latest brush with Covid conspiracy has made me wonder that perhaps he's a disingenuous actor when it comes to anything Covid-related after all, rather than someone who is merely misinformed. I don't mind him for his other stuff and it's still possible to have a nuanced opinion about him, but I do have to admit that he's shifted a bit to the right since moving to Texas.

caid

Rogan's latest brush with Covid conspiracy has made me wonder that perhaps he's a disingenuous actor when it comes to anything Covid-related after all, rather than someone who is merely misinformed. I don't mind him for his other stuff and it's still possible to have a nuanced opinion about him, but I do have to admit that he's shifted a bit to the right since moving to Texas.
I found his whole attitude to the california homeless thing backward. He doesn't seem too bothered by people being homeless so much as having to be aware of them. Acts like a right wing, republican, Texan attitude of mistreating them enough to drive them off to somewhere like California is an entirely rational, sensible, desirable approach. Every time it came up he'd be whining about tents on nice streets in good neighbourhoods as if the problem would be totally fine if they were all fecked off around skid row.

Kopral Jono

I found his whole attitude to the california homeless thing backward. He doesn't seem too bothered by people being homeless so much as having to be aware of them. Acts like a right wing, republican, Texan attitude of mistreating them enough to drive them off to somewhere like California is an entirely rational, sensible, desirable approach. Every time it came up he'd be whining about tents on nice streets in good neighbourhoods as if the problem would be totally fine if they were all fecked off around skid row.
I don't watch Rogan religiously enough to know what his opinions are on every single topic under the sun. But I do watch him enough to have the opinion that despite claiming not to be a right-winger, he does hold a solid list of right-wing views and this is perfectly fine as long as it comes from a right place and I suspect it does -- I know a grifter when I see one and he just doesn't give me that specific vibe. That said, anything Covid-related (be it on vaccines, masks or restrictions) and he becomes a disingenuous idiot in an instant. So far he has refused to listen to actual experts, invited a doctor with fringe opinions to his podcast and the list goes on.

He never claimed to be an expert on anything other than martial arts, sure, but he's that big of a podcaster that it is plain irresponsible to spout utter bullshit about a deadly disease knowing his scope of influence.

caid

I don't watch Rogan religiously enough to know what his opinions are on every single topic under the sun. But I do watch him enough to have the opinion that despite claiming not to be a right-winger, he does hold a solid list of right-wing views and this is perfectly fine as long as it comes from a right place and I suspect it does -- I know a grifter when I see one and he just doesn't give me that specific vibe. That said, anything Covid-related (be it on vaccines, masks or restrictions) and he becomes a disingenuous idiot in an instant. So far he has refused to listen to actual experts, invited a doctor with fringe opinions to his podcast and the list goes on.

He never claimed to be an expert on anything other than martial arts, sure, but he's that big of a podcaster that it is plain irresponsible to spout utter bullshit about a deadly disease knowing his scope of influence.
Oh just a random thing that annoyed me related to him moving to Texas.
He recently admitted he hasn't got a vaccine didn't he? So i'd say not grifting in this case just dangerously stupid. He hardly needs to grift anyway does he? Not exactly strapped for cash, though i guess some never have enough.

Kopral Jono

Oh just a random thing that annoyed me related to him moving to Texas.
He recently admitted he hasn't got a vaccine didn't he? So i'd say not grifting in this case just dangerously stupid. He hardly needs to grift anyway does he? Not exactly strapped for cash, though i guess some never have enough.
From my casual observation the 'Rogan is a grifter' angle seems to have been propagated by his more hardline detractors in progressive circles, who are saying that the viewership of his podcast since its move to Spotify is decreasing and that he's trying to capture the loonier right-wing crowd as opposed to the more libertarian right-wing crowd that already forms his base. I feel these claims are a bit far-fetched, but he really isn't helping himself by peddling on Covid conspiracy and doing all these performative freedom bullshit you often see from him lately.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
"(mocking tone) In America you gotta work".

He's a thick cnut.

Bosws87

The Jewel podcast from the other day was great, crazy life that she’s had definitely worth a listen.

OleBoiii

He's a thick cnut.
He really is.

I still can't believe that he's described as a centrist by his fans. Is there even a single left-leaning economic policy that he's in favor of? He opposes "free" college, he doesn't give a shit about work-life balance and when it comes to workers' rights he always seems to side with the bosses. That pretty much leaves universal health care, which I don't know his stance on. But even if he's in favor of that, it's hardly enough to make him a centrist. I get that the American political compass is heavily skewed to the right and thus Rogan can be viewed as a centrist when you look at him from a purely American context. But even some Europeans seem to buy into this "balanced centrist" bullshit.

I used to put Rogan in the 'libertarian' category, but he has a surprising amount of conservative ideas. Particularly when it comes to anything related to gender and gender roles.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, "liberal" and "progressive" are not the same thing. The first is all about individual freedom, whereas the other is about breaking free from roles defined by society. Racism, homophobia, sexism etc is rampant among self-described libertarians.

Last edited:

stu_1992

feck father's who want to be involved in the early stages of raising a child, am I right? :lol:

Bosws87

I haven't watched the video above but the context of the discussion on the actual podcast was from the opinion of a boss/employer not rogan's actual thoughts himself.

I'm sure the above video states that and its completely unbiased.

Mike Smalling

I haven't watched the video above but the context of the discussion on the actual podcast was from the opinion of a boss/employer not rogan's actual thoughts himself.
Clutching at straws here mate. Literal quotes from the meathead himself from the very same interview:
  • My thing is, you didn't give birth.
  • Should the dad be able to take work off too? Should a dad be able to take off 3 months to take care of the kid?
  • If I was an employer, and I had a guy who worked for me, who wanted to take three months off because his wife gave birth, I'd be like: "What the feck are you talking about, Mike?"
  • If you have someone who has a critical role in your company, and it's a man, and the man's wife gives birth, and then the man wants to take three months off and wants you to pay him, you'd be like: "What?"
It is very clearly his own opinions. He also goes on to belittle Germany for having more equal maternity/paternity leave rights. He is a complete tool.

Sweet Square

Typical know nothing lefty redcafe. Joe was 5 months into his pregnancy here

How about you get some real life experiences before criticising others!

NotThatSoph

Clutching at straws here mate. Literal quotes from the meathead himself from the very same interview:
  • My thing is, you didn't give birth.
  • Should the dad be able to take work off too? Should a dad be able to take off 3 months to take care of the kid?
  • If I was an employer, and I had a guy who worked for me, who wanted to take three months off because his wife gave birth, I'd be like: "What the feck are you talking about, Mike?"
  • If you have someone who has a critical role in your company, and it's a man, and the man's wife gives birth, and then the man wants to take three months off and wants you to pay him, you'd be like: "What?"
It is very clearly his own opinions. He also goes on to belittle Germany for having more equal maternity/paternity leave rights. He is a complete tool.
Does the moron think that paternity leave is for recuperating physically from the birth, rather than taking care of the child?

OleBoiii

I think a lot of the defensive Joe Rogan fans fall into 3 groups:

1. Leftists who no longer can identify with the so-called modern left. They grew up hating on republicans and conservatives, so they don't want to lean that way. But at the same time they want to "own the libs" and feminists in particular. How can they do this without being mistaken for republicans/conservatives? By finding these "enlightened" and tough-talking centrists. Joe Rogan has become their "voice of reason" on the left(or center at worst). The very idea that Joe Rogan actually is right-leaning is too much to handle. His most avid defenders can therefore be found in this group.

2. Right-wingers who like to think that they are unbiased because they listen to leftist podcasts and even agree with a lot of the stuff. Nobody wants to live in an echo-chamber after all.

3. Anti-vaxers and conspiracy theory nutbags. No further explanation needed.

fergieisold

I think a lot of the defensive Joe Rogan fans fall into 3 groups:

1. Leftists who no longer can identify with the so-called modern left. They grew up hating on republicans and conservatives, so they don't want to lean that way. But at the same time they want to "own the libs" and feminists in particular. How can they do this without being mistaken for republicans/conservatives? By finding these "enlightened" and tough-talking centrists. Joe Rogan has become their "voice of reason" on the left(or center at worst). The very idea that Joe Rogan actually is right-leaning is too much too handle. His most avid defenders can therefore be found in this group.

2. Right-wingers who like to think that they are unbiased because they listen to leftist podcasts and even agree with a lot of the stuff. Nobody wants to live in an echo-chamber after all.

3. Anti-vaxers and conspiracy theory nutbags. No further explanation needed.
Have you worked out the 3 groups for the anti Joe rogan fans?

OleBoiii

Have you worked out the 3 groups for the anti Joe rogan fans?
I've yet to meet an "anti Joe Rogan fan". I've met people who don't like Joe Rogan, though :p

I know many cool and decent people who like Joe Rogan. I just tried to explain his most avid defenders. Based on what I've seen, they fall into one of those groups(although I've only seen Group 3 online, but that is also the smallest of them. For obvious reasons).

Mike Smalling

Does the moron think that paternity leave is for recuperating physically from the birth, rather than taking care of the child?
It would seem, that it is at least part of his thinking on this topic. He also seems to not be able to grasp that both men and women can hold important positions in companies. In some cases the woman may even earn more money! Radical stuff. As someone else pointed out, Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson and their like always make a big deal about young men needing strong father figures in their lives, but God forbid that the relationship should start immediately after birth - the men have work to do after all.

Also, I find it amusing that he clearly doesn't know the difference between maternal and paternal.