Joe Rogan

prateik

Does covid affect the brain too? It might be an explanation.. he was never the brightest, but looks like he has completely lost it now.

Abizzz

Nah he's always been dim. He's just more blunt now. Before that people mistook his vagueness as thoughtfulness.

Boycott

There's two things I really don't get why people like Rogan and Russell Brand don't get asked about:

1. They both brag about how the mainstream media is dying and how their podcasts and videos are much more popular. Yet if that is the case why do they constantly act like the only reason people are getting vaccinated is we are all brainwashed by the mainstream media? That makes no sense because according to you guys no one watches them anymore. You can't have it both ways.

2. Why is it that everything you come up with perfectly aligns with right-wing politics down to even the clickbait titles, and yet you take offence at being called right-wing? Why is that? Russell Brand talks about Trump like he was a champion of the little guy (despite being the epitome of elite himself and his only major policy he ran on and passed was giving the rich the biggest tax cut in decades), Qanon as if they are earnest people who mean well (despite smearing lots of people with horrible lies and driving their own families apart), and anti-vaxxers as if they are being silenced (these people never shut up).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's two things I really don't get why people like Rogan and Russell Brand don't get asked about:

1. They both brag about how the mainstream media is dying and how their podcasts and videos are much more popular. Yet if that is the case why do they constantly act like the only reason people are getting vaccinated is we are all brainwashed by the mainstream media? That makes no sense because according to you guys no one watches them anymore. You can't have it both ways.

2. Why is it that everything you come up with perfectly aligns with right-wing politics down to even the clickbait titles, and yet you take offence at being called right-wing? Why is that? Russell Brand talks about Trump like he was a champion of the little guy (despite being the epitome of elite himself and his only major policy he ran on and passed was giving the rich the biggest tax cut in decades), Qanon as if they are earnest people who mean well (despite smearing lots of people with horrible lies and driving their own families apart), and anti-vaxxers as if they are being silenced (these people never shut up).
Yeah, great points. I think the answer to your question is that’s what happen to anyone who spends a large part of their life immersed in political bickering online. Whatever underlying inclination they have (and Rogan/Brand are fundamentally libertarian/antiestablishment) will get more and more extreme thanks to the echo chamber blowing smoke up their arses. So they end up inevitably aligned with extremist dick-heads.

Boycott

Yeah, great points. I think the answer to your question is that’s what happen to anyone who spends a large part of their life immersed in political bickering online. Whatever underlying inclination they have (and Rogan/Brand are fundamentally libertarian/antiestablishment) will get more and more extreme thanks to the echo chamber blowing smoke up their arses. So they end up inevitably aligned with extremist dick-heads.
Right - and that makes them no different to the media they constantly criticise. In fact I'd argue their entire claim is that they are a higher ground, independent, above partisanship and yet they are the most partisan in their arguments and attitudes until it comes to the point of owning it. They both hide behind "just asking questions" and wanting to be "free thinkers" and yet the questions are the same, the answers they push are the same and conveniently every self-proclaimed free thinker happens to have the same opinions as each other.

Brand has always been a pseudointellectual but it's really gone off in the last year.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

DYOR.

Or something.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Right - and that makes them no different to the media they constantly criticise. In fact I'd argue their entire claim is that they are a higher ground, independent, above partisanship and yet they are the most partisan in their arguments and attitudes until it comes to the point of owning it. They both hide behind "just asking questions" and wanting to be "free thinkers" and yet the questions are the same, the answers they push are the same and conveniently every self-proclaimed free thinker happens to have the same opinions as each other.

Brand has always been a pseudointellectual but it's really gone off in the last year.
100%.

That’s always been the most ironic thing about heavily online MSM critics calling the rest of us “sheeple” when they’re the ones whose opinions on every issue are almost identical and completely predictable.

Tarrou

he's having Dr Robert Malone on his show, the guy who tenuously claimed to have invented the RNA vaccine

the guy went full grifter and just got banned from Twitter for posting this;

https://www.canadiancovidcareallian...tions-More-Harm-Than-Good-REV-Dec-16-2021.pdf

feck Joe Rogan
I caught the first 30 minutes of this and this Malone guy seems fairly sensible, definitely not the grifter type I was expecting.. gonna listen to some more and see what he has to say

although he does have a patent on some other covid treatment coming out (for those wondering why he is leaning antivax)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
100%.

That’s always been the most ironic thing about heavily online MSM critics calling the rest of us “sheeple” when they’re the ones whose opinions on every issue are almost identical and completely predictable.
It's funny because Noam Chomsky is, by a definition, a heavily online media critic (replies to every single email from randos, wrote a book and made a movie about the media's biases), and his views are *very* different on most topics. Different ways of being "online" of course, but also, a bigger diversity of media critics.

Wittmann45

It is an interesting and long time tactic of people who are desperate to be seen as "outsiders." That was always a classic tactic of Bill O'Reilly - back in his heyday, he would constantly brag about his ratings, how popular his show was and how powerful he/Fox News was but then also claim that there was an underlying bias in reporting and that the mainstream media was inherently left leaning.

It is probably a really effective way to deflect criticism and maintain their fictive "outsider" status while also satisfying the egos of their viewers/listeners - everyone else is a sheep except their incredibly loyal and devoted fan bases

Realist81

Those people are insufferable. I had a school friend who was one of those do your research guys and the urge to remind him that he got Es in all three science classes was huge.
My Brother-in-law is like that. Flunked doing a music course at uni, is now a full conspiracy nut always on about doing his own research.

Apparently asking him his methodology and research fields is being a sheep and he's much better at 'modern' research than me, with a 1st in international politics, or his sister, who has a masters in molecular chemistry, because we use the old methods designed to hide the truth. I've tried engaging with him, listening to his arguments but he goes off into left field so quickly that I just can't do it anymore, I get angry. Years ago I could brush it off as harmless but not now, I have much less tolerance for that kind of BS.

Carolina Red

Staff
My Brother-in-law is like that. Flunked doing a music course at uni, is now a full conspiracy nut always on about doing his own research.

Apparently asking him his methodology and research fields is being a sheep and he's much better at 'modern' research than me, with a 1st in international politics, or his sister, who has a masters in molecular chemistry, because we use the old methods designed to hide the truth. I've tried engaging with him, listening to his arguments but he goes off into left field so quickly that I just can't do it anymore, I get angry. Years ago I could brush it off as harmless but not now, I have much less tolerance for that kind of BS.
Ah yes, the new “searching Youtube for people saying the same thing as you but in a different voice” school of research.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Being a right wing influencer sounds very simple.

- I love meat and guns
- Praise the lord
- Gay immigrants are stealing our jobs

profit.

Tarrou

- I love meat and guns
- Praise the lord

profit.
you forgot bleating on about being de-platformed whilst getting published in all the major news outlets

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Bit overkill but I get the point. Think a lot of people forget we're animals...we're not some sort of different class of life that's transcended nature and managed to rid itself of any attraction to basic instincts.
What animals cook meat over fire?

DavidDeSchmikes

- I love meat and guns
- Praise the lord

profit.
appearing on a number of shows and/or podcasts telling the world how you are being silenced

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
appearing on a number of shows and/or podcasts telling the world how you are being silenced
Whilst wearing a "cancel cancel culture" sweatshirt, claiming you're "in the crosshairs of cancel culture" as tabloids all over the world serialise every word you say in any public appearance.

Most of these goobers are the living embodiment of the exact opposite of cancel culture. The more controversial they are, the bigger their platform becomes.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Bit overkill but I get the point. Think a lot of people forget we're animals...we're not some sort of different class of life that's transcended nature and managed to rid itself of any attraction to basic instincts.
That's deep man.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This sounds blasphemous. Someone get a burning stake!

Seriously though, we're hardly similar to other animals. Our brain is capable to quite a few things that set us apart. Reason trumping instinct for one.

Not sure that goes for the Joe Rogans of the world, mind.

fergieisold

This sounds blasphemous. Someone get a burning stake!

Seriously though, we're hardly similar to other animals. Our brain is capable to quite a few things that set us apart. Reason trumping instinct for one.

Not sure that goes for the Joe Rogans of the world, mind.
I agree there are characteristics that set us apart. We certainly get to reason with our instincts which is obviously a very good thing to have!

I guess one part of Rogan's love of cooking meat is the fire association - still a bit of a mystery as to why humans are obsessed with it, but it's got to come down to how important it was in our evolution. Some different ideas on that below.

https://medium.com/illumination/why-do-humans-stare-at-fire-8a33c0672ada

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I’m not gonna go down an evolutionary psychology rabbit hole but purely from a cooking perspective, using an open fire is a very different experience to conventional cooking.

Dunking on absolute weapons like Joe Rogan is such an easy path to retweets and likes it’s as though nobody even bothers thinking about what they’re writing any more.

fergieisold

I’m not gonna go down an evolutionary psychology rabbit hole but purely from a cooking perspective, using an open fire is a very different experience to conventional cooking.

Dunking on absolute weapons like Joe Rogan is such an easy path to retweets and likes it’s as though nobody even bothers thinking about what they’re writing any more.
There's a YouTube channel which is oddly relaxing...a guy in Azerbaijan cooking all sorts of stuff outdoors. Anyone like kebabs?