Joe Rogan

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I agree there are characteristics that set us apart. We certainly get to reason with our instincts which is obviously a very good thing to have!

I guess one part of Rogan's love of cooking meat is the fire association - still a bit of a mystery as to why humans are obsessed with it, but it's got to come down to how important it was in our evolution. Some different ideas on that below.

https://medium.com/illumination/why-do-humans-stare-at-fire-8a33c0672ada
I admit, I also love a good fire or bbq :)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I agree there are characteristics that set us apart. We certainly get to reason with our instincts which is obviously a very good thing to have!

I guess one part of Rogan's love of cooking meat is the fire association - still a bit of a mystery as to why humans are obsessed with it, but it's got to come down to how important it was in our evolution. Some different ideas on that below.

https://medium.com/illumination/why-do-humans-stare-at-fire-8a33c0672ada
Not sure anyone's shitting on any of fire, cooking or meat mate. They're shitting on Joe Rogan's weird fecking tweet about them which has half a million likes for some reason.

Tarrou

there is an evolutionary theory that humans who preferred cooked meat over raw meat had an advantage

a bit of a leap from that to open flames though

but then, BBQ is pretty tasty like

DavelinaJolie

It's just that boneheaded dudebro speaking to his dumb dudebro followers that lap up his stupid, brain-dead dudebro shit.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Best part for me is that he makes sure he's hungry when he cooks it. Personally I only cook dinner when I'm completely stuffed. Man's deep.

If social media has shown me one thing, it's that I'm surprisingly intelligent compared to the average person. And I'm an idiot.

Tarrou

it's funny how we largely agree he's pretty much a moron but we still discuss all this inane crap he says

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You guys wait till you're already hungry before you start cooking? Bunch of lunatics in here.

Realist81

Ah yes, the new “searching Youtube for people saying the same thing as you but in a different voice” school of research.
Yep, and it is all just facebook and youtube. I just can't wrap my head around trusting some unaccredited rando rather than people who have dedicated their working lives to various fields

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So has he had any good episodes recently? Stuff that's completely non-covid related.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There's a YouTube channel which is oddly relaxing...a guy in Azerbaijan cooking all sorts of stuff outdoors. Anyone like kebabs?

Seen a few of his videos. I’m convinced people like the channel because it’s off the grid and away from technology, than just interesting food.

kidbob

Rogan I can definitely understand because he has always pretty clearly leaned 'right'. I mean, even despite Burr's comedy style, it's obvious even from the early podcasts that someone like Bill actually leaned more left than Joe and this has only progressed as both have gotten older.

To be honest my biggest surprise is Brand. Like he has always been a 'free thinker' type, but if you go back and look at the political type debates he had he always came over as very much a leftist, whose views would align with Bernie for the most part. I mean the one thing you can't deny is he was heavily anti-Tory unless I missed something. The fact that he is now spouting what he is demonstrates a much more complete shift of views than anything we see from Rogan. It's like Brand had suddenly become a whole new person.

Tarrou

I've not seen anything from Brand in years on account of him being such an annoying toss-pot, but I guess he must be struggling for money

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Brand is antiestablishment and he always has been. With the Tories in power ever since he started to use social media to discuss politics that positions him on the left, as someone who is based in the UK

His notions have become more and more US-centric over the course of that decade (it’s a number games in the online echo chamber he inhabits, so yanks will out-number Brits) which currently sees him in opposition to the Democrats. I don’t think that makes him right wing though.

Boycott

Yeah and whilst that’s considered more ”right”, hasn’t it pretty much always been his default :confused: It’s more about freedom, free spirit, yoga, meditation etc etc etc?
He's a pseudo-intellectual. Even before he took this weird right-wing turn in US politics, his previous political commentary was edgy nihilistic stuff based on being "anti-establishment" yet when pressed on policies he clearly had no understanding. Just saying "feck the system" for the sake of it doesn't make you a savant as he seemed to think because many people had legitimate concerns with the policies of the tory government at the time which was why they voted for Labour in 2015 while he was implying there was no point in voting from his ivory tower.

cyberman

Rogan has claimed the Democrats have tricked the Republicans into becoming assholes.
That is all.

caid

Rogan has claimed the Democrats have tricked the Republicans into becoming assholes.
That is all.
I've heard a few variations on that argument like they've tricked them into getting killed by covid. Pretty funny.

Simbo

Only just started watching/listening to a few of his shows as I'm going through a phase of listening to stories of ex special forces guys, and he's had a bunch of them on.

It really is a good show when he shuts the feck up and doesn't have any input into it whatsoever.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Pretty much. Explains all conspiracy types too. I think a lot of big Rogan fans are a step before conspiracy theorists (probably plenty of actual conspiracy theorists too).
There's also those who fall for the 'charm' of manly guy who smokes weed, hunts, eats lots of red meat, and gets interesting guests on. They're just not sharp enough to realise said guests are often talking shite, because they always come with some form of shallow credibility. Some of them are actually quite good and anyone sane is left wishing someone else would present a podcast with similar guests.

Dan_F

That’s so awkward to watch. I’m surprised he didn’t ask to see if they had any stats on whether elk meat lessened the chance of myocarditis on 15 year olds.