Joe Rogan

NotThatSoph

JP's online lectures and earlier rhetoric significant positive effects on my mental wellbeing and overall health. For me, watching him spiral into insanity has been at once predictable, fascinating and sad.

This climate position he's taken recently is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. He's become a parody.
His climate position isn't recent, it's what he's always believed.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
No it doesn't. It merely presupposes that the employer can afford to maintain employees and make a profit (surplus value). That is the exploitation of the market in a nutshell and it's beyond dispute. When Peterson and others say that companies don't exploit their workers, they mean that they do not exploit them beyond the realms of their contractual agreements. Two different frames of reference. Peterson's is a moral/pseudo-psychological argument; Marx's is a very basic economic fact.

You wouldn't employ someone and pay them more than you, because then you would be their employee. You wouldn't employ someone and pay them the same as you, because then you would not be in a position to employ in the first place. It would be a cooperative, setting aside exceptions which prove the rule whereby startups may eat into unforeseen expenditures short-term and the entrepreneur has to cover the costs to realize long-term profit.
If a company cannot quantify things like this then they'll go out of business.
By third party I'm referring to the government (or more specifically - people working in government).

Ibi Dreams

His climate position isn't recent, it's what he's always believed.
He has also always said things that sound vaguely intelligent but don't actually make any sense.

I used to watch some of his videos when he first appeared, because he was an interesting speaker to watch. But I usually came away wondering what the hell his main point was

shaky

This is really sad when those feckers choose money above common sense. feck Spotify then.
It's common sense to not remove Rogan at the request of Young. I'd rather platforms like this didn't start removing artists because other artists disagree with their opinions.

SirAF

Ageist
It's common sense to not remove Rogan at the request of Young. I'd rather platforms like this didn't start removing artists because other artists disagree with their opinions.
I’m so tired of this argument - it’s not about different opinions, it is about spreading proven misinformation that is potentially dangerous.

Oranges038

It's a sad day for the world of music when Neil Young is set aside to allow this gowl to keep talking shit.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I’m so tired of this argument - it’s not about different opinions, it is about spreading proven misinformation that is potentially dangerous.
Not even just potentially. It's guaranteed at this point that Joe Rogan's misinformation (or disinformation) has leas to deaths. Probably a lot if them, given his reach.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He has also always said things that sound vaguely intelligent but don't actually make any sense.

I used to watch some of his videos when he first appeared, because he was an interesting speaker to watch. But I usually came away wondering what the hell his main point was

(Not actually 11 hours long)

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Loads of things can be potentially dangerous. Stop this nonsense. I don't trust you to decide for me what I should be allowed to hear, read or belive.

El B

Loads of things can be potentially dangerous. Stop this nonsense. I don't trust you to decide for me what I should be allowed to hear, read or belive.
Proceeds to feed his own head into a wood chipper because he read it increases IQ. Despite all warnings from people who studied wood chippers for years.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'd rather dangerous lunatics weren't rewarded with multi-million dollar contract for their dangerous lunacy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In JPs case, if he was practicing his field and not in an academic setting he'd be completely ostracised. The bloke got addicted to meds, went to some Russian hospital and put himself into a coma, went on a crazy all meat diet and promoted it for a range of health conditions. He's lucky he's had academia to hide behind because out in the real world he'd be treated like a homeopath that claims to cure cancer with bleach.
The bottom line is that he is that now he is so mentally unwell you wouldn't let him park your car.

ChaddyP

I guess we Should ban holy books as well. Loads of potentially dangerous miss information in there too.

Banning the holy bible would be a good start

e.cantona

Proceeds to feed his own head into a wood chipper because he read it increases IQ. Despite all warnings from people who studied wood chippers for years.
I'm sure worse has happened

SirAF

Ageist
Not even just potentially. It's guaranteed at this point that Joe Rogan's misinformation (or disinformation) has leas to deaths. Probably a lot if them, given his reach.
Definitely.
I guess we Should ban holy books as well. Loads of potentially dangerous miss information in there too.

Banning the holy bible would be a good start
I’m all for that! :lol:

Ok, trust Rogan and Peterson then. Hell, listen to Trump too. FREEDOM.

El B

Rogan is an artist now?
He's a renaissance man. Roid head. Combat sport enthusiast. From Fear Factor to spreading COVID misinformation, hosting alt-right loons and climate change deniers amongst others without question. It's quite the career.

Maroon Lucifer

Best live music show I ever went to. Neil Young and Pearl Jam at Slane. Went to see Pearl Jam. Left completely blown away by Neil Young. I kind of had him down as a twee folk country act so didn’t expect a full on rock star.
I'm a big Pearl Jam fan, and the very first time I saw them on video in the early 90's, Neil Young got on stage and they rocked in the free world together. They go way back and are good friends. If anyone is following Neil Young out of Spotify, it has to be Pearl Jam and all of Eddie Vedders stuff.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm a big Pearl Jam fan, and the very first time I saw them on video in the early 90's, Neil Young got on stage and they rocked in the free world together. They go way back and are good friends. If anyone is following Neil Young out of Spotify, it has to be Pearl Jam and all of Eddie Vedders stuff.
That’s exactly what happened at the show I was at.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Best live music show I ever went to. Neil Young and Pearl Jam at Slane. Went to see Pearl Jam. Left completely blown away by Neil Young. I kind of had him down as a twee folk country act so didn’t expect a full on rock star.
he's got so many great tracks. Don't really care for his politics but that doesn't matter when it comes to musicians, Young is amazing. Old King and Old Man are classics

Pearl Jam would've been amazing live back in those days, Vedder has great stage presence

e.cantona

Don't give lunatics like Rogan or Peterson a platform. Advice you can take to the bank.
If so, must be a lot of lunatics in your universe. Don't listen to them. Is good advice!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I wasn't at the Slane show but I did see Neil Young in Dublin about 10 years ago and it was without doubt one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

nimic

something nice
Scout
This isn't about the government banning anything, it's about the responsibility these content hosts have to not be a conduit for dangerous disinformation. You might think it's trivial, but there's a reason why so many far-right terrorists were radicalized through social media. And it's not only about terrorism. The entire "stop the steal" movement came from Facebook's inability to hinder the spread of the Big Lie. That lead to January 6th in the US, and it's definitely not done yet. The same goes for anti-vaccine movements, climate "skeptic" movements, and so on.

This matters.

Conor

This isn't about the government banning anything, it's about the responsibility these content hosts have to not be a conduit for dangerous disinformation. You might think it's trivial, but there's a reason why so many far-right terrorists were radicalized through social media. And it's not only about terrorism. The entire "stop the steal" movement came from Facebook's inability to hinder the spread of the Big Lie. That lead to January 6th in the US, and it's definitely not done yet. The same goes for anti-vaccine movements, climate "skeptic" movements, and so on.

This matters.
As you said, there is genuinely a close to 100% chance that someone died of covid while consuming content from Joe Rogan, espousing anti-vax sentiment. Not sure how anyone could argue against that being dangerous. You can say people are stupid and shouldn't pay attention to this sort of stupid, but that's an unrealistic stance to take, given the amount of idiots in the world.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
As you said, there is genuinely a close to 100% chance that someone died of covid while consuming content from Joe Rogan, espousing anti-vax sentiment. Not sure how anyone could argue against that being dangerous. You can say people are stupid and shouldn't pay attention to this sort of stupid, but that's an unrealistic stance to take, given the amount of idiots in the world.
Are you saying Joe Rogan should be arrested and tried for manslaughter?

Boycott

On another forum I got into a conversation with a really passionate Rogan fan who kept spamming my responses and links to scientific data that have been reviewed extensively before publication about the vaccine with comments about "listen to the doctors who go on the show".

Then I asked him why he is so trusting of those handful of doctors but so distrusting of the overwhelming consensus of medical professionals and the data staring in his face.

It reminds me of the idea of climate change deniers who act like the entire world's scientific community is in on a huge scam that is top secret (but not secret enough to fool them) and they are being paid money by governments to peddle an agenda. But any contrarian scientist who says otherwise is a brave truth-teller. It's interesting that is the contrarians who get paid big money because they sell books, appear on shows, fly all over the world saying climate change is a hoax and their fans never stop and realise how much wealth they've gained from this endeavour.

One doctor going on Rogan's show to say vaccines don't work is going to be infinitely more wealthy now than all those ordinary unnamed men and women working in labs all day everyday without recognition.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Rogan is a dangerous man and needs to be deplatformed as soon as possible. One can only imagine the suffering caused by his lies and propaganda.