Joe Rogan

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Obviously, a lot of it comes down to upbringing, education and ones own ability to control their own emotions, but it is possible to listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast and not be influenced by the conversations he has to the extent that they become your beliefs- and to still enjoy the show.

I think he’s an excellent host, asks great questions of his guests and he doesn’t make any attempts to have his opinions come across as “I am 100% right on this and everyone should think like me”. He comes from a tv background, is a huge figure in an organization who literally have to hype the shit out of things to make them successful, so he’s working and “acting” in accordance with what he knows will sell.

There are some interviews he has done with GSP and some quotes from Him where you can conclude that away from the cameras, joe might hold a lot of contrasting views but it doesn’t stop GSP from liking the guy, and the Canadian is pretty much one of the most genuine athletes of the last 20 years.

I find it controversial to hold people accountable for people becoming brainwashed by their content, when it’s never presented as anymore than an opinion. So long as we have a functioning brain, we have the ability to choose which way we absorb information. I have listened to almost all of his podcasts, disagreed entirely with almost everything he and his guests speak about, but still enjoyed it because it’s a well put together show.
Good post. Pretty much how I feel about Rogan.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Obviously, a lot of it comes down to upbringing, education and ones own ability to control their own emotions, but it is possible to listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast and not be influenced by the conversations he has to the extent that they become your beliefs- and to still enjoy the show.

I think he’s an excellent host, asks great questions of his guests and he doesn’t make any attempts to have his opinions come across as “I am 100% right on this and everyone should think like me”. He comes from a tv background, is a huge figure in an organization who literally have to hype the shit out of things to make them successful, so he’s working and “acting” in accordance with what he knows will sell.

There are some interviews he has done with GSP and some quotes from Him where you can conclude that away from the cameras, joe might hold a lot of contrasting views but it doesn’t stop GSP from liking the guy, and the Canadian is pretty much one of the most genuine athletes of the last 20 years.

I find it controversial to hold people accountable for people becoming brainwashed by their content, when it’s never presented as anymore than an opinion. So long as we have a functioning brain, we have the ability to choose which way we absorb information. I have listened to almost all of his podcasts, disagreed entirely with almost everything he and his guests speak about, but still enjoyed it because it’s a well put together show.
But he does routinely stack the odds in his favor in various debates, to where the framing of his questions give the audience an unmistakable impression that he is arguing in favor of a particular position. Its not hard to see what Joe's positions are in regards to veganism (which he mocks in his standup comedy shows), and a variety of other issues related to drugs, hunting, vaccines, and beyond.

nimic

something nice
Scout
All of which will increase his audience no doubt. By the time they hound him off of Spotify, he will have made his money and be ready to move on to the next platform.
What next platform, though? At some point you run out of mainstream platforms, and then you turn into Trump, who already tried to set up his own platforms after he was deplatformed. Obviously Joe Rogan will be Joe Rogan anywhere, but he might not be able to reach as many people.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
What next platform, though? At some point you run out of mainstream platforms, and then you turn into Trump, who already tried to set up his own platforms after he was deplatformed. Obviously Joe Rogan will be Joe Rogan anywhere, but he might not be able to reach as many people.
Would be something like this:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's already made a ridiculous sum of money, so if he continues podcasting, it likely won't be the main consideration, which means he could go on most platforms. Simply going back to Youtube perhaps.

ExoduS

Wow. Some people here think cancelling Joe Rogan's podcast is ok? A power that government should actually have? How much cancelling is required until the World is perfect for some of you!? :) Joe Rogan's podcast is the most viewed podcast in the World for a reason. He is able to hold a great conversation with almost anyone: comedian, athlete, scientist, politician, conspiracy theorist, science quack, movie director, health freak, nutritionist etc... You name it. You also have to CLICK your way to listen his podcast, it ain't spread as propaganda at bars, airports and other public places.

I am perfectly fine boycotting Joe Rogan's podcast or advocating that it should be not listened to due to "misinformation", but advocating to cancel it? Get the feck out of here.

mu4c_20le

Wow. Some people here think cancelling Joe Rogan's podcast is ok? A power that government should actually have? How much cancelling is required until the World is perfect for some of you!? :) Joe Rogan's podcast is the most viewed podcast in the World for a reason.
Probably the same reason the Avengers movies are some of the highest grossing. You don't actually think popular=right, do you ?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm not a fan of Rogan, his own views on vaccines are very clearly biased no matter how he tries to frame himself as being open to information, but I don't think the podcast should be banned as it covers many more topics than just covid, and it doesn't provide blatant misinformation on other topics.

It does though seem as if he's inviting more people who suit his viewpoint rather than try to oppose him, especially regarding covid. That I think sets him in a more negative light as no one really calls him out on his misinformation.

Boycott

I hold a personal belief that a lot of the problems in the world are caused by the idea that we have to think one way or the other, with almost no ground in between. Yet that exact space is where constructive discussion can actually take place.
Joe Rogan has spent so much time allowing anti-vaxxers to peddle this idea of the vaccine causing myocarditis among young people in high cases. The one time someone had the balls to call him out on it because not only are you more likely to suffer myocarditis from the virus itself rather than the vaccine, that is especially true among young people, Rogan's response was to question the source because "that's not what I read". If you are someone who speaks so confidently and definitively with people about this subject and yet you get shown up by a simple google search inside a few moments as he did, it is a laughable suggestion to argue he represents a middle ground. What research has he done? What was he searching? Why did he never ask one of his past guests and more importantly why did they never say it to them? Is it because there is a transactional relation between who he brings on? He gives them a massive platform to say the things he wants to believe. Do you think the way he treated CNN's Sanjay Gupta is anyway similar to how he treated Robert Malone? Both are doctors. But one got far more deferential treatment than the other who was quite ambushed because of his employer. And when he talks about the mainstream media why is it he and his guests have a habit of acting like Fox News, the number one news station in America, is exempt?

This idea that being contrary to the mainstream consensus all the time makes you a true savant among the rest of us sheep is also laughable. It's fun and games when it is entertaining flat earthers who are mostly harmless freaks but on medical issues this kind of lies and conspiracies are dangerous.

Last edited:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Wow. Some people here think cancelling Joe Rogan's podcast is ok? A power that government should actually have? How much cancelling is required until the World is perfect for some of you!? :) Joe Rogan's podcast is the most viewed podcast in the World for a reason. He is able to hold a great conversation with almost anyone: comedian, athlete, scientist, politician, conspiracy theorist, science quack, movie director, health freak, nutritionist etc... You name it. You also have to CLICK your way to listen his podcast, it ain't spread as propaganda at bars, airports and other public places.

I am perfectly fine boycotting Joe Rogan's podcast or advocating that it should be not listened to due to "misinformation", but advocating to cancel it? Get the feck out of here.
What power should the governor actually have? You were recently moaning about a government exercising said powers.

ExoduS

Probably the same reason the Avengers movies are some of the highest grossing. You don't actually think popular=right, do you ?
Absolutely I don't think popular is right. It is popular here that Joe should be cancelled, I think that is wrong.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I hold a personal belief that a lot of the problems in the world are caused by the idea that we have to think one way or the other, with almost no ground in between. Yet that exact space is where constructive discussion can actually take place.
Ah.. the good old: if facts are on one side and harmful personal opinions on the other, then we must seek truth in the middle.

mu4c_20le

Absolutely I don't think popular is right. It is popular here that Joe should be cancelled, I think that is wrong.
Well I haven't called for his head yet and I actually always liked the guy as a commentator, but I do think that when someone is popular and influential, then they have to be responsible and mindful about public perception, because there are LOTS of people who think he's right because of his popularity.

FriedClams

Ah.. the good old: if facts are on one side and harmful personal opinions on the other, then we must seek truth in the middle.
I think when both sides lay claim to their view being fact, then the only way for any constructive dialogue to take place (not that that's necessarily the correct approach) is in the middle, somewhere. And those conversations need to take place between respected people on either side, who hold enough sway to influence some thinking.

For me, it's incredibly dangerous to insult people with opposing opinions, especially when said opinions are shared by millions of people. To every flat earther on the planet, I want to educate them on the irrefutable facts that the world MUST be round, and I am going to have more success using calm, constructive discussion that I am calling them a freak.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think when both sides lay claim to their view being fact, then the only way for any constructive dialogue to take place (not that that's necessarily the correct approach) is in the middle, somewhere. And those conversations need to take place between respected people on either side, who hold enough sway to influence some thinking.
Child brothels, for or against?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

For me, it's incredibly dangerous to insult people with opposing opinions, especially when said opinions are shared by millions of people. To every flat earther on the planet, I want to educate them on the irrefutable facts that the world MUST be round, and I am going to have more success using calm, constructive discussion that I am calling them a freak.
Except in this case one side actually relies on scientific facts and the other doesn't. Why should both positions be of equal value? Why should there be any middle between broad scientific consensus and something that is at best idiocy and at worst deliberate misinformation? To stick to your example: to open up a dialogue in order to maybe convince a few flat earthers you think flat earthers themselves should have a huge platform that pulls more and more gullible idiots to their lifestyle?
Deplatforming also doesn't necessarily mean ridiculing someone, it just means that you don't give people who spout propaganda that's dangerous to society a megaphone to reel in more people.
I can't tell you how many it's been but there must have been thousands of people out there, who got turned against vaccines by the likes of Joe Rogan, who died because of it. And yet there are still people out there, who think it's all good we should meet him in the middle. It's absolutely unbelievable to me.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I see he's sucking Elon off on his instagram again talking about the cyber truck. Think looks like a hat full of arseholes. The new Ford F-150 is going to remind Elon that he is playing in a game that already has a massively established consumer base and they dont care for his pos made electric vehicles.

I've said it many times, he's better off developing the battery tech and just selling that than doing the car thing. Once bit auto go full electric, he's toast.

caid

Could i be blunt and say if people are stupid enough to believe Joe Rogan over the entire medical establishment then I'm not particularly bothered by them getting themselves killed in a stupid manner. I dont particularly care to waste energy protecting people like that.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Could i be blunt and say if people are stupid enough to believe Joe Rogan over the entire medical establishment then I'm not particularly bothered by them getting themselves killed in a stupid manner. I dont particularly care to waste energy protecting people like that.
There is that but if one person believes something the effect of their belief doesn't stop there, they effect is not just on a selection of individuals but it seeps into society.

InfiniteBoredom

What about people who are affected by their medical decision through no fault of their own? Their senior relatives, for instance, or their children who they decided against vaccination who ended up contracting it and spread it to other people?

When we are talking about public health, it’s hard enough as it is to protect the vulnerables among us without idiots like meathead Joe spouting his bullshit through a megaphone.

Conor

That's a pretty shitty view, given the butterfly effect these things can have on the wider community.

Trequarista10

JP's online lectures and earlier rhetoric significant positive effects on my mental wellbeing and overall health. For me, watching him spiral into insanity has been at once predictable, fascinating and sad.

This climate position he's taken recently is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. He's become a parody.
This is similar to my own take. I feel sorry for him because it seems like he feels he's been thrust into a position which requires him to voice his opinion on everything, including topics in which he has no expertise. That, or he just can't help himself. Similiar to how friends drinking together at the pub will assertively voice their opinions on everything, but there's an unspoken understanding that both know sod all really, except he's not putting the word to rights in a pub whilst intoxicated, he's on a huge public platform.

I still him a fascinating personality. I've only seen clips of bits of his recent appearances, and his openness about his own health struggles is interesting. However, it's clear that his public rise to prominence and how he handled contributing to him going off the rails, and from the clips I've seen he doesn't appear to have fully comprehended how exactly. In one of the Rogan clips, Rogan is attempting to ask about this, and JP keeps referring to the physical symptoms ("well I couldn't sleep so I took medication, and then it started causing physical pain, its probably an auto immune condition of some kind"). I mean, that may all be true but it seemed defensive to me, and it's clinical psych 101 that mental health problems are caused by a mix social, psychological, physical and environmental factors. Its like he's in the eye of the storm still, can't see the woods for the trees or whatever the saying is meant to be.

FriedClams

Except in this case one side actually relies on scientific facts and the other doesn't. Why should both positions be of equal value? Why should there be any middle between broad scientific consensus and something that is at best idiocy and at worst deliberate misinformation? To stick to your example: to open up a dialogue in order to maybe convince a few flat earthers you think flat earthers themselves should have a huge platform that pulls more and more gullible idiots to their lifestyle?
Deplatforming also doesn't necessarily mean ridiculing someone, it just means that you don't give people who spout propaganda that's dangerous to society a megaphone to reel in more people.
I can't tell you how many it's been but there must have been thousands of people out there, who got turned against vaccines by the likes of Joe Rogan, who died because of it. And yet there are still people out there, who think it's all good we should meet him in the middle. It's absolutely unbelievable to me.
Sir, I am not your enemy.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So we have a guy using a huge platform to spread misinformation which has caused the death of many people. But the real problem would be spotify not promoting him?

For some there seems to be no line between a functioning society and free speech at all costs.

We'll have (in some places they're already there) fascists gaining power and some will still be defending their right to preach their lunacy.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Dr. D, asking the real questions. You should do a podcast.
Got to find that middle!
I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe having places where kids could go to get some hot action from other consenting kids in their age group could be a good thing?

Brothels run by kids but staffed with and for adults could be a good way to develop entrepreneurial and business experience and serve them well in their adult lives.

Brothels staffed with kids but for adults is obviously a bad thing and should never happen.

RedDevilQuebecois

It's common sense to not remove Rogan at the request of Young. I'd rather platforms like this didn't start removing artists because other artists disagree with their opinions.
I'm sorry, but that is totally insensitive from both of you. Joe Rogan is spreading misinformation and willful ignorance on his podcast, and that is extremely dangerous for society's sake. Why do you think other platforms have ditched people like him and Alex Jones (the fecking big fat cnut) before?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe having places where kids could go to get some hot action from other consenting kids in their age group could be a good thing?

Brothels run by kids but staffed with and for adults could be a good way to develop entrepreneurial and business experience and serve them well in their adult lives.

Brothels staffed with kids but for adults is obviously a bad thing and should never happen.
:lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

The company should censor the disinformation, not the government. But, sadly, we probably will never see such virtuous business practices.

caid

That's a pretty shitty view, given the butterfly effect these things can have on the wider community.
Yeah, i think i know that.
I'm just burned out on them. Some dark miserable cnut part of me is starting to see covid as a bit of purge or braindead miscreants. Its not a good way to think about it.