Joe Rogan

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
This isn't about the government banning anything, it's about the responsibility these content hosts have to not be a conduit for dangerous disinformation. You might think it's trivial, but there's a reason why so many far-right terrorists were radicalized through social media. And it's not only about terrorism. The entire "stop the steal" movement came from Facebook's inability to hinder the spread of the Big Lie. That lead to January 6th in the US, and it's definitely not done yet. The same goes for anti-vaccine movements, climate "skeptic" movements, and so on.

This matters.
What in the actual feck. Have you lost your mind?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I guess we Should ban holy books as well. Loads of potentially dangerous miss information in there too.

Banning the holy bible would be a good start
Well yes if we were blurring science with them as the church attempted to do in Ireland for years. When they were taken on face value or interpreted by lunatic priests then holy books too are an issue because of the reach and gullibility of the audience. We now widely regard them as allegory, fantasy and myth, so that's grand. Don't ban them, just categorise them properly.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The bottom line is that he is that now he is so mentally unwell you wouldn't let him park your car.
*emotional Peterson falsetto*

“When the needs of the young, white car are forced and coerced into being parked with the many, what ARE we to do?

What even is a car park, evolutionarily speaking are they even real?

Have you tidied your car today?”

*starts crying*

*receives 100s of thousands of dollars*

nimic

something nice
Scout
What in the actual feck. Have you lost your mind?
Not really, but until you asked this I didn't really feel the need to point out that you're a great example of the power of dis- and misinformation. It's obvious that you've actually bought into a lot of the Joe Rogan-esque sources (and Joe Rogan himself). Who knows whether or not you were a rational human being to begin with, but right now you're something else.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Not really, but until you asked this I didn't really feel the need to point out that you're a great example of the power of dis- and misinformation. It's obvious that you've actually bought into a lot of the Joe Rogan-esque sources (and Joe Rogan himself). Who knows whether or not you were a rational human being to begin with, but right now you're something else.
That's what you got, seriously? You make a stupid post and this is what you come back with. You're a caricature. An insult.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Well yes if we were blurring science with them as the church attempted to do in Ireland for years. When they were taken on face value or interpreted by lunatic priests then holy books too are an issue because of the reach and gullibility of the audience. We now widely regard them as allegory, fantasy and myth, so that's grand. Don't ban them, just categorise them properly.
That's mostly the Old Testament, not the New.

FriedClams

Obviously, a lot of it comes down to upbringing, education and ones own ability to control their own emotions, but it is possible to listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast and not be influenced by the conversations he has to the extent that they become your beliefs- and to still enjoy the show.

I think he’s an excellent host, asks great questions of his guests and he doesn’t make any attempts to have his opinions come across as “I am 100% right on this and everyone should think like me”. He comes from a tv background, is a huge figure in an organization who literally have to hype the shit out of things to make them successful, so he’s working and “acting” in accordance with what he knows will sell.

There are some interviews he has done with GSP and some quotes from Him where you can conclude that away from the cameras, joe might hold a lot of contrasting views but it doesn’t stop GSP from liking the guy, and the Canadian is pretty much one of the most genuine athletes of the last 20 years.

I find it controversial to hold people accountable for people becoming brainwashed by their content, when it’s never presented as anymore than an opinion. So long as we have a functioning brain, we have the ability to choose which way we absorb information. I have listened to almost all of his podcasts, disagreed entirely with almost everything he and his guests speak about, but still enjoyed it because it’s a well put together show.

El B

Obviously, a lot of it comes down to upbringing, education and ones own ability to control their own emotions, but it is possible to listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast and not be influenced by the conversations he has to the extent that they become your beliefs- and to still enjoy the show.

I think he’s an excellent host, asks great questions of his guests and he doesn’t make any attempts to have his opinions come across as “I am 100% right on this and everyone should think like me”. He comes from a tv background, is a huge figure in an organization who literally have to hype the shit out of things to make them successful, so he’s working and “acting” in accordance with what he knows will sell.

There are some interviews he has done with GSP and some quotes from Him where you can conclude that away from the cameras, joe might hold a lot of contrasting views but it doesn’t stop GSP from liking the guy, and the Canadian is pretty much one of the most genuine athletes of the last 20 years.

I find it controversial to hold people accountable for people becoming brainwashed by their content, when it’s never presented as anymore than an opinion. So long as we have a functioning brain, we have the ability to choose which way we absorb information. I have listened to almost all of his podcasts, disagreed entirely with almost everything he and his guests speak about, but still enjoyed it because it’s a well put together show.
Even when it's being held up as gospel by their fans and seeps into the general discourse? To such an extent that the person creating the content is now held up as a conspiracy theory/bad science/alt-right gateway?

I'd suggest he needs to look at himself and how he presents his content. But I'm pretty sure he's just a grifter who doesn't care cause he's loaded and he can just say its a joke/it's just entertainment. The classic diversion tactic. It's not his problem but a problem for those getting worked up or taking it too seriously.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Many of enlightened minds on this thread will disagree.

El B

Insulting another member
That's what you got, seriously? You make a stupid post and this is what you come back with. You're a caricature. An insult.
I'm not a particularly bright bulb but you make me feel like a genius.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChaddyP

......Yes?....
You think banning things will get people to stop trying to access the thing you banned? Pretty sure it usually does the opposite of your intentions.

I don't agree with some shit Rogan says. I don't agree with crap in many books movies etc. But I would never agree to banning things just because I disagree with it. I just don't want it forced upon me.

Maybe it's a culture thing, but I am always wary of banning People or books etc.

FriedClams

Even when it's being held up as gospel by their fans and seeps into the general discourse? To such an extent that the person creating the content is now held up as a conspiracy theory/bad science/alt-right gateway?

I'd suggest he needs to look at himself and how he presents his content. But I'm pretty sure he's just a grifter who doesn't care cause he's loaded and he can just say its a joke/it's just entertainment. The classic diversion tactic. It's not his problem but a problem for those getting worked up or taking it too seriously.
I hold a personal belief that a lot of the problems in the world are caused by the idea that we have to think one way or the other, with almost no ground in between. Yet that exact space is where constructive discussion can actually take place.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I hold a personal belief that a lot of the problems in the world are caused by the idea that we have to think one way or the other, with almost no ground in between. Yet that exact space is where constructive discussion can actually take place.
But, in the case of vax disinformation, there’s no constructive discussion being had, it’s being taken as gospel & it’s dangerous. It’s basically playing to the crowd & reinforcing detrimental beliefs.

El B

I agree. But that isn't happening. And anytime Rogan hosts some chud spewing nonsense, his fans flock to his defence.

For the kinds of conversations you are referring to, to start, then bad faith arguments and bad science needs to be called what it is. Not brushed away as 'entertainment'

FriedClams

But, in the case of vax disinformation, there’s no constructive discussion being had, it’s being taken as gospel & it’s dangerous. It’s basically playing to the crowd & reinforcing detrimental beliefs.
It's someone's choice on whether or not to take something as gospel. I can't quite understand how people can ignore science on this but trust it on other things, but I have a more difficult time understanding why people can let the opinions of others drastically alter their mood on any given day.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's someone's choice on whether or not to take something as gospel. I can't quite understand how people can ignore science on this but trust it on other things, but I have a more difficult time understanding why people can let the opinions of others drastically alter their mood on any given day.
People tend to go into echo chambers that reinforce their beliefs & find their gospel. ‘Constructive discussion’ is basically a pipe dream now. When someone like Rogan sees this & peddles disinformation that further preys on the somewhat deluded minds of his followers, that’s dangerous & should be stopped.

Mental deficiency is a real thing upon which people prey We are seeing it in Rogan’s case.

FriedClams

People tend to go into echo chambers that reinforce their beliefs & find their gospel. ‘Constructive discussion’ is basically a pipe dream now. When someone like Rogan sees this & peddles disinformation that further preys on the somewhat deluded minds of his followers, that’s dangerous & should be stopped.

Mental deficiency is a real thing upon which people prey We are seeing it in Rogan’s case.
You may or not be right*, what concerns me is that the likelihood of someone with an opposing view being classed as "mentally deficient" and then being expected to change their views is small to none. Again, whilst I may agree with the sentiment, it's insulting to label it this way. It's also dangerous to continue down the path of insulting people with drastically opposing views, given that the natural human response to being ridiculed is to be defensive.

If you have decided which side you are on, then that's fine. You may come across some people in your life who can be persuaded of your arguments, and you can actually effect change in what you see as a positive way. But dangerous or otherwise, This particular podcast has come under more scrutiny than most and continues to be successful anyway which for me, justifies walking away from everything connected to it if you genuinely believe it's dangerous.

* We probably have pretty similar beliefs on this at the root of it all.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
You may or not be right*, what concerns me is that the likelihood of someone with an opposing view being classed as "mentally deficient" and then being expected to change their views is small to none. Again, whilst I may agree with the sentiment, it's insulting to label it this way. It's also dangerous to continue down the path of insulting people with drastically opposing views, given that the natural human response to being ridiculed is to be defensive.

If you have decided which side you are on, then that's fine. You may come across some people in your life who can be persuaded of your arguments, and you can actually effect change in what you see as a positive way. But dangerous or otherwise, This particular podcast has come under more scrutiny than most and continues to be successful anyway which for me, justifies walking away from everything connected to it if you genuinely believe it's dangerous.

* We probably have pretty similar beliefs on this at the root of it all.
Seems as such.

‘Deficiency’ insomuch as not having critical thinking skills, etc., being deficient in that regard, being easily led.

cyberman

Fake news is a powerful weapon for a reason.

Amarsdd

tbf you have answered your own question here. Many don't have one or more of those situations/abilities that you list. And a big part of a society/community is about protecting your "weak" fortunately (or sometimes unfortunately).

FriedClams

tbf you have answered your own question here. Many don't have one or more of those situations/abilities that you list. And a big part of a society/community is about protecting your "weak" rather fortunately or sometimes unfortunately.
That point was in relation to the scientific aspect alone, rather than the ability to control emotion. I can listen and to a certain extent respect the opposing view of someone who isn't in any way hypocritical about their beliefs, but the people who pick and choose when science is and isn't for them is what I can't understand.

cafecillos

Nah, the argument that people should be able to distinguish what is fake and what isn't is frankly disingenuous at this point, we're well past it. Seeing what we have seen in the last few years since social media became massive, it's obvious for everybody except ill-intentioned libertarians and/or people actually making a profit off it that the full-scale spread of misinformation and lies has to be hindered (actually, it's also obvious to most of those, but they won't admit it, for obvious reasons). The only possible debate is how we do that and how we preserve free speech as much as possible in doing it, but not whether it has to be done or not.

The Firestarter

Nah, the argument that people should be able to distinguish what is fake and what isn't is frankly disingenuous at this point, we're well past it. Seeing what we have seen in the last few years since social media became massive, it's obvious for everybody except ill-intentioned libertarians and/or people actually making a profit off it that the full-scale spread of misinformation and lies has to be hindered (actually, it's also obvious to most of those, but they won't admit it, for obvious reasons). The only possible debate is how we do that and how we preserve free speech as much as possible in doing it, but not whether it has to be done or not.
There is no such thing as free speech on a privately owned platform. Companies can limit that nonsense easily, they just choose not to because of $$$

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The answer isn’t for the SG to go on Rogan’s show, the answer is quelling the disinformation at the source…

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I agree. But that isn't happening. And anytime Rogan hosts some chud spewing nonsense, his fans flock to his defence.

For the kinds of conversations you are referring to, to start, then bad faith arguments and bad science needs to be called what it is. Not brushed away as 'entertainment'
I want to listen to Rogan but also to those who disagree with him. I want to be able to hear both sides and make my own judgement about things. This whole banning and cancelling and deplatforming hysteria is totally insane.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I want to listen to Rogan but also to those who disagree with him. I want to be able to hear both sides and make my own judgement about things. This whole banning and cancelling and deplatforming hysteria is totally insane.
The problem is that a lot of people who "want to hear both sides" end up on the side of "Bill Gates is trying to track my children through 5G vaccines". Is there no limit to who you'd be opposed to banning, cancelling or de-platforming? What about the alt-right? What about actual Nazis, who seem to be having a bit of a resurgence? Should YouTube allow Holocaust denial?

Where's the line?

cafecillos

There is no such thing as free speech on a privately owned platform. Companies can limit that nonsense easily, they just choose not to because of $$$
You're right, but the potential legislation could indeed have repercussions on free speech in a juridical sense.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Not even just potentially. It's guaranteed at this point that Joe Rogan's misinformation (or disinformation) has leas to deaths. Probably a lot if them, given his reach.
Imagine dying because of Joe Rogan. What a shit life lived.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The answer isn’t for the SG to go on Rogan’s show, the answer is quelling the disinformation at the source…

All of which will increase his audience no doubt. By the time they hound him off of Spotify, he will have made his money and be ready to move on to the next platform.