Joe Rogan

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What legit guests? Honest question, the ratio must be 10:1 towards bro science and anti vaxers.
If what you say is true then the problem lays in all these guests being presented in the same manner. It legitimises bullshit and there is no legit guest, it’s simply a guest?
A vast majority of his guests are normal people who he has on to talk about completely uncontroversial and fairly predictable topics given his own background. Historically that has been comedians and MMA fighters. He also has a fair number of scientists and experts on the show - the Sinclairs, Hubermans, and Mathew Walker’s of the world (and many more). Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Greene, and Sean Carroll have also been guests.

He does have a noticeable libertarian, anti-establishment streak in him which is probably why he programs so many controversial people from both of the political fringes, as well as those critical of mainstream narratives.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He does have a noticeable anti-establishment streak in him which is why he programs so many controversial people from both of the political fringes, as well as those critical of mainstream narratives.
There's an argument that a rich white dude with racist and right wing tendancies is the establishment? He's anti establishment the way President Trump was and privately educated Jeremy Clarkson is. Like maybe if the establishment is immigrants, lesbians and communists.

I'm still interested in what fringe lefties he has on, again genuinely asking because I am one.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There's an argument that a rich white dude with racist and right wing tendancies is the establishment? He's anti establishment the way President Trump was and privately educated Jeremy Clarkson is. Like maybe if the establishment is immigrants, lesbians and communists.

I'm still interested in what fringe lefties he has on, again genuinely asking because I am one.
From the perspective of the American political center - the entire cast of progressive usual suspects have been on his show, sometimes multiple times. He's also had noted 9/11 truther Abby Martin on multiple times, same with Jimmy Dore. He had Glenn Greenwald on also multiple times and is booked yet again for an upcoming appearance. Sanders of course being the famous example, in the heat of a US Presidential campaign no less. All of these people know the reach of Rogan's viewership and want to be on the show, which makes complete sense since they can then leverage their exposure to promote their own shows, projects, podcasts, and book sales.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
From the perspective of the American political center - the entire cast of progressive usual suspects have been on his show, sometimes multiple times. He's also had noted 9/11 truther Abby Martin on multiple times, he had Glenn Greenwald on also multiple times and is booked yet again for an upcoming appearance. Sanders of course being the famous example, in the heat of a US Presidential campaign no less. All of these people know the reach of Rogan's viewership and want to be on the show, which makes complete sense since they can then leverage their exposure to promote their own shows, projects, podcasts, and book sales.

I'll go listen, I genuinely don't know Rogan in any depth.

Edit - the left and left of the American political centre are not even close to being the same thing BTW.

Last edited:

cyberman

He really is a horrible human being. This jogged my memory about the bullying of Cyborg and claiming she had a dick that affected her so much it made her father cry.
There’s just so much evidence out there of Joe being a scum bag human being

Mike Smalling

He really is a horrible human being. This jogged my memory about the bullying of Cyborg and claiming she had a dick that affected her so much it made her father cry.
There’s just so much evidence out there of Joe being a scum bag human being
He’s just shooting the shit innit.

Stacks

So difficult without full context. Someone simply saying the n word for me does not make them a racist.

second one - agreed. It’s weird, I can’t imagine ever saying something like that.

third one - aren’t black people more athletic due to the fat/muscle ratio? The brain thing is dumb, presumably joe came across IQ vs Race studies that are widely discredited. He’s clearly educated himself and changed his opinion though as somebody pointed out above.
white people should not say it but without context its not necessarily racist

Had to look it up. But seriously someone enlighten me because I thought it was true. There’s a physiological advantage for black people due to genetics?

hands up if I’m totally wrong!
No just people on a West African strip and certain tribes like where Bol Bol is from. Nobody who doesn't descend from West Africa (bar one white guy) has ever ran sub 10 seconds 100m. Also Africa is the most genetically diverse place in the world so has the most physical extremes which can lead to that perception.

If a white person says the n-word regularly, they're racist. It honestly is that simple to me. What kind of context would you need for that? It's not like it's a new thing that saying it isn't cool. It hasn't been cool for longer than he's been alive.

No, that's ridiculous. "Black people" is not a genetic category anyway, so how could that possibly make any sense? There's greater genetic diversity in Sub-Saharan than in the rest of the world combined.
Not at all. In the USA I hear white guys and Hispanics calling themselves n-words.

It's not a positive that he's had Alex Jones on the show. The only thing that can do is drive more people towards Jones' content, and we're talking about a person who harassed people whose children were murdered in Sandy Hook. The Americans have already elected people to Congress who have done the same, so nothing good can come of potentially adding to that.

Is there a limit to someone who you would give a platform? I'm not being facetious, it's a serious question. Would you give Anders Behring Breivik a platform? What about Brenton Tarrant? They've both got very clear ideological views, and I'm sure many of Rogan's listeners would find their views interesting.
He has people he can have interesting and wacky convos with. Who would the limit extend to
He had Alex Jones on the show way before Sandy Hook mate so that can’t be used against him.

As far as I know, Rogan hasn’t interviewed any killers or atleast I have never seen any guest that I thought was distasteful to be interviewed. Everyone he interviews just has a different point of view or are experts in some weird field! So not sure what your referring to there, are you hinting he has dangerous people on the show who shouldn’t be given a platform? Who?
Alex Jones has been saying insane stuff for decades, but he had him on in 2020.

I'm not saying he's had on killers, but why is that different? Don't they qualify as people with different points of view? They're not going to kill anyone on the podcast, after all. But yes, I am definitely suggesting that he has people on who shouldn't be given a platform, such as Alex Jones. Take a look at the comments on that video if you're wondering why I feel that way, and keep in mind that's Joe Rogan's page, not Alex Jones'. He's giving a very dangerous man a platform, and people are eating it up.
Would you object to him having the former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Putin, Obama or some religious nut? I am people are very selective as to who can be censored. No one objects to have religious figures on the show and they can be seen in a similar light based off what happens around the world in the name of religion.

Stacks

Just waiting for someone to come and explain that you could make a similar montage for any one of us :rolleyes:
This was actually mild. Also we aren't comedians but yes you could if you listened to a group of lads getting stoned, hammered and pissing around with their mates. Check any lads watsapp group with their closest mates and :eek:

Would you object to him having the former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Putin, Obama or some religious nut? I am people are very selective as to who can be censored. No one objects to have religious figures on the show and they can be seen in a similar light based off what happens around the world in the name of religion.
Good question. I wouldn’t object as that is one of the reasons I like Rogan so much. He doesn’t allow the audience to know what he votes for and gives both left wing and right wing a platform.

The state leaders you mentioned, despite all committing terrible acts, are still important people in the world. Therefore it is better to interview them so we can atleast see what they are thinking. I don’t have to agree with them just because I watched them. After all, the old saying is that it’s important to keep your enemies close.

Stacks

Good question. I wouldn’t object as that is one of the reasons I like Rogan so much. He doesn’t allow the audience to know what he votes for and gives both left wing and right wing a platform.

The state leaders you mentioned, despite all committing terrible acts, are still important people in the world. Therefore it is better to interview them so we can at least see what they are thinking. I don’t have to agree with them just because I watched them. After all, the old saying is that it’s important to keep your enemies close.
I agree. I would like to know what these state leaders are thinking but obviously some would be controversial (everything is) but they would be some of the most viewed shows ever. I mean they do interviews anyways and I saw the NBC and FT interview Putin knowing full well he is a killer and is taking Russia (a whole nation) to war. Far more dangerous people than Alex Jones get a global media platform so its ok

KingCavani

This was actually mild. Also we aren't comedians but yes you could if you listened to a group of lads getting stoned, hammered and pissing around with their mates. Check any lads watsapp group with their closest mates and :eek:
Seriously.

A few people in here are talking like they’ve never experienced racist or homophobic jokes in casual conversation - Like this doesn’t go on all the time. They’re either the most sheltered people on the planet or just outright denying reality.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Seriously.

A few people in here are talking like they’ve never experienced racist or homophobic jokes in casual conversation - Like this doesn’t go on all the time. They’re either the most sheltered people on the planet or just outright denying reality.
I think this says rather more about you and the people you surround yourself with.

How is it so difficult to understand that casual racism is still racism? If you're very comfortable throwing around racist slurs, it's very simple: you're racist.

Halftrack

Comparing dark humour and off-colour jokes in private among friends to denigrating and abusing people on the worlds most popular podcast. Apparently these two are exactly the same.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Comparing dark humour and off-colour jokes in private among friends to denigrating and abusing people on the worlds most popular podcast. Apparently these two are exactly the same.
But not unprecedented if you're familiar with the work of Howard Stern, Don Imus, and others over the years. Rogan is the latest in a long line of radio (now podcast) guys who have been perceived as controversial by the mainstream in recent years.

KingCavani

I think this says rather more about you and the people you surround yourself with.

How is it so difficult to understand that casual racism is still racism? If you're very comfortable throwing around racist slurs, it's very simple: you're racist.
I’m sure they’ll be glad to hear it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Very curious what @KingCavani has to say about all this. Not judging someone on a decade ago, but who they are right now.

Seriously.

Yeah, feck that. No one I associate with makes racist or homophobic jokes in casual conversation. The last time that happened was over 10 years ago and they were quickly cut out of my life (and others). As stated earlier, anyone at the places I've worked in the last 15-20 years would be fired for making such comments.

I really wonder who you associate with where you think racist and homophobic jokes happen "all the time."

Last edited:

Halftrack

But not unprecedented if you're familiar with the work of Howard Stern, Don Imus, and others over the years. Rogan is the latest in a long line of radio (now podcast) guys who have been perceived as controversial by the mainstream in recent years.
No, but society's evolved a great deal just in the past decade.
Also we aren't comedians
Joe hardly qualifies as one, on account of being garbage at it, and those aren't him doing bits, it's just him making making malicious and mean-spirited comments about people because he's an asshole who thinks it's funny.

Wing Attack Plan R

Very curious what @KingCavani has to say about all this. Not judging someone on a decade ago, but who they are right now.

Yeah, feck that. No one I associate with makes racist or homophobic jokes in casual conversation. The last time that happened was over 10 years ago and they were quickly cut out of my life (and others). As stated earlier, anyone at the places I've worked in the last 15-20 years would be fired for making such comments.

I really wonder who you associate with where you think racist and homophobic jokes happen "all the time."
Exactly. That the other poster thinks that's normal is bizarre. Also, Joe Rogan was a fecking moron 10 years ago, he's a fecking moron today, and he'll be a fecking moron tomorrow.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yes, and those people are in all likelihood either racist or ignorant.
It happens a lot in hip-hop culture in the US, especially among Hispanics, Asians, and a few Caucasians that grow up in heavily black neighborhoods like Oakland where I heard it a lot. They make a distinction between -a and -er versions of the word and the context in which it's used (IE when talking to friends or others in the hip-hop community).

I've also heard two older black dudes debating the use of the -a version in general and both of them made some valid points. So, in certain sub-cultures, I don't think it's as cut and dry as racist or and only or ignorant. I also don't think those comments qualify as Cavani's idea of "casually racist" remarks since they are a very different context.

Ladron de redcafe

Exactly. Surprised you even have to spell this out for him.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Seriously.

Why do you think your way of being friends with people is the only way in existence?

KingCavani

First of all - I've already said that Rogan should be held accountable for the stuff he's said recently - Especially as it pertains to vaccines and his awful guests. My point was entirely that going back decades was a clear sign if a desperate attempt to try and smear him - Which it obviously was. The fact that more people seem to be digging through every second of footage that's out there isn't really proving anything to the contrary. The people who are getting upset over this, or pretending to get upset over this had their minds made up about Rogan long before . This will have no affect beyond providing more material for the right. Even if Spotify were to split with Rogan he will be fine. He's going nowhere.

But to entertain this - Some of the stuff he says out of these is terrible (Angelina Jolie, Asian accents) and then some of the examples are pretty ridiculous. I have no idea what he said that was offensive about Bezos' GF nor do I particularly care what he has to say about such a ghoul - I could go much further about someone willing align themselves with the ultimate enemy of humanity. I'm sure she'll be just fine. In the last example with Peterson he doesn't say that the guy isn't black at all, he said it's "weird" that the term black is used for people regardless of shade - Not that it's invalid. And of course it is weird because race is a stupid concept to begin with.

Yeah he says transphobic shit. Trans people are basically what gay people were a few decades ago in terms of public discourse. It's open season on them and more celebrated people than Joe Rogan are saying far more harmful shit about trans people. Rowling (Redcafe wont let me type he first name) is winning prizes for her transphobia while she seems to have judged the community entirely of what she's seen in Silence Of The Lambs. I'm more familiar than most with what sort of transphobia is out there and Rogan is a bro who's upset that he can't say "******" anymore and that some trans MMA fighter showed up. He'd probably get far more sympathy for the latter position than you'd think. So yeah, he's pretty transphobic but that's pretty par for the course even in 2022 and his brand of transphobia is a lot less harmful than the liberal/feminist variant.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I get the impression that many of the people castigating him have never actually listened to/watched his podcast, and if they have they've listened to/watched very little.
Disagree, I know tons of people including myself that have watched multiple full interviews of Rogan for the entertainment value but know that he's a fecking idiot.

The guy's an entertaining moron. If you're unable to realize he's a moron, him and his guests can put some really dangerous ideas in your head.

Free speech and all, but if he was on the Caf he'd be banned. The same dynamic applies to Spotify.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Free speech and all, but if he was on the Caf he'd be banned. The same dynamic applies to Spotify.
It doesn’t actually. The standard here is far more narrow than it is for an actual company whose business model specializes in providing content to subscribers.

Also, Rogan is fundamentally an American broadcaster who caters to Americans, where the aperture of what is acceptable is far wider than in other countries. You can pretty much say anything in the US and it will be protected by the first amendment, which is starkly different than some other countries where you can literally get arrested for insulting or offending someone.

Anyone who listens to him is therefore doing so according to American norms, which includes freedom of speech, the first amendment, and the right to not subscribe or listen to content that offends them without reflexively attempting to shut down debate.

cyberman

It doesn’t actually. The standard here is far more narrow than it is for an actual company whose business model specializes in providing content to subscribers.

Also, Rogan is fundamentally an American broadcaster who caters to Americans, where the aperture of what is acceptable is far wider than in other countries. You can pretty much say anything in the US and it will be protected by the first amendment, which is starkly different than some other countries where you can literally get arrested for insulting or offending someone.

Anyone who listens to him is therefore doing so according to American norms, which includes freedom of speech, the first amendment, and the right to not subscribe or listen to content that offends them without reflexively attempting to shut down debate.
He doesn’t seem very protected now? Americans are cancelled all the time for talking shit, the first amendment doesn’t protect you from repercussions.
Edit didn’t Jones recently lose a lawsuit for talking shit?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He doesn’t seem very protected now? Americans are cancelled all the time for talking shit, the first amendment doesn’t protect you from repercussions.
Edit didn’t Jones recently lose a lawsuit for talking shit?
It doesn't, but it also doesn't force companies to take action.

KingCavani

I don’t really disagree with anything he says and I do think Rogan framed his apology poorly - He literally would have been better off not apologising at all. But holy shit if ever there was a case of throwing stones in glass houses.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don’t really disagree with anything he says and I do think Rogan framed his apology poorly - He literally would have been better off not apologising at all. But holy shit if ever there was a case of throwing stones in glass houses.
I'm still waiting for Russell Peters to make a Trever Noah style observational video on the topic of Trevor stealing his jokes.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Public outcry does, as we’re seeing right now. It’s not as if Rogan apologised for shits and giggles.
He did the right thing in apologizing and it appears Spotify have taken action by removing some of his episodes, but unless something dramatic happens, Rogan will continue on. He is obviously not the same guy in the present than what he was 12-15 years ago, just as Howard Stern isn't the same guy who once said things to guests that probably wouldn't be well received in today's era of hyper sensitive twitter mobs. Howard made the switch from terrestrial to satellite radio and has continued on unabated for the past 16 years. Rogan, if he wants, can easily do the same, probably evolving and becoming more pragmatic about his guest choices along the way, much as Stern has.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

My point was free speech doesn't prevent Spotify from getting bullied into removing/censoring Rogan. It's a private business.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
hyper sensitive twitter mobs
I love these little expressions you keep coming up with.

Would you say the same about the Zouma or the raith rovers situations?

I'm curious to know where you draw the line between valid criticism and hyper sensitive twitter mobs. What type of issue would justify very vocal outrage? From your participation in this thread, I assume the things Rogan has said don't qualify, so what does?

ExoduS

The problem here for Spotify is enormous. Most of the time cancelling someone is not done by a corporation to demonstrate their values, it is done to protect their financial interests. There is no right financial move here for Spotify. Whatever they choose to do, they will be fecked. I actually got Spotify premium just so I can cancel it if they cancel Rogan.

I am sure Joe regrets going to Spotify. He lost independence, and people can come after him through a proxy - Spotify.

Anyhow I am curious what the end game is going to be. Cancelling Rogan is not your average cancelling job. It is cancelling top podcaster by a mile.

Good luck.