Joe Rogan

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Refreshing and somewhat surprising from McWhorter, who I thought would be on the opposite side of things.
Agree. Not much to add to what McWhorter and Sam Harris has to say on this. Performance and ignorance/dishonesty

ExoduS

Alt-right and Trumpers might attempt to assassinate Rogan after they see this.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Alt-right and Trumpers might attempt to assassinate Rogan after they see this.
This just shows you can cast someone in whatever light you want by cobbling together random quotes from over the years. Its just as nonsensical as the clips portraying him the opposite way.

Dante

Average bang
This thread is a train wreck.

Deliberately so, I think. The goal is just seems to be about drowning out the other side.This page, in particular, is a bad one.

ExoduS

This just shows you can cast someone in whatever light you want by cobbling together random quotes from over the years. Its just as nonsensical as the clips portraying him the opposite way.
How should people who are friends of Joe Rogan fight the shameless smear by corporate media and democratic party who loves "safe" candidates such as Clinton and Biden? Just stay quiet?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This is the version of Joe Rogan that I mostly remember from the last few years, mostly before covid. He had decent liberal views on social matters. Though everyone has to admit he has gone off the rails a bit since covid happened and has gone increasingly one sided in his interviews, which is why the criticism is valid, though cancelling I don't agree with.

caid

I suppose she is, and although she is a lefty, she's an ex 911 truther. I wouldn't be picking her to bat for the left in an ideal world, but like the Chomsky, Sanders, and Stewart analogies already brought up, what is the worst-case scenario material harm from what they say? 911 nonsense apart, but that's not a left-wing idea.

This whole issue is about the harm that Rogan's high-profile media presence causes. This conversation has gone all over the place to mitigate that and failed in my opinion. Firstly it was attempted along the lines that he was a good bloke or that criticism was just begrudgery. So how do you mitigate racist speech and medical misinformation? Can it be achieved by letting a millionaire presidential candidate representing one of the largest centre-right political parties on the planet speak? Or an ex 911 Truther with Marxist inclinations? Again, no in my opinion.

Maybe if it was just the content of his overwhelmingly right-wing guests and not his own words. He has invited Gavin McInnes of the proud boys, Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos. If you think Abby Martin and Bernie Sanders are from the other end of any spectrum to them then I will need that explained to me. Is it just the former all hate and the others don't? Is that balance? Vitriol v the desire for a more controlled economy? While he may openly espouse the views, giving them unchallenged or unqualified airtime is dangerous as that is what they crave. Joe is not mentioned here but this is good for context https://time.com/5627494/we-analyze...pread-online-the-trends-reveal-deep-concerns/

I've been aware of Rogan for years and I initially dismissed him as a brash macho chauvinist and all that entails on very little evidence I may add, but I do see the dog whistles quite clearly due to my predilection for equality. Over the years the trickle of Rogan into my sphere did nothing to counter this, his background, his stream of predominantly alt-right guests just reinforced this. Same for the covid nonsense and now the racism. It all seemed a slam dunk.

In the last 24 hours, I've listened to him and read about him and I have to say my gut seems to have been right. And yes he has had a list of what you would describe as lefties by American standards but what does that prove? Life is not a Christmas panto, where characters are one-dimensionally good or bad, every lunatic on the news has some neigbour saying what they did was out of character. Just because Rogan is not a 24/7 Klan activist doesn't prove anything, We are complex animals, and every villain has a day off being a dick or has some redeeming qualities and conversely, also nobody is an angel.

Rogan as I said repeats a lot of the dog whistles of the alt-right. This is from an article in Esquire. "While interviewing comedian Joe List, Rogan went on a tangent about his fear of "woke culture" silencing "straight white men." “You can never be woke enough that’s the problem, it keeps going,” Rogan said. “It keeps going further and further down the line and if you get to the point where you capitulate, where you agree to all these demands, it’ll eventually get to straight white men are not allowed to talk, because it’s your privilege to express yourself when other people of color have been silenced throughout history.” On Twitter, he says ... "If you're a man and you call yourself a feminist I hope you choke to death on vegan pizza while crying over a lady gaga song".

It's not the establishment he hates, it's the tiny section of it that after centuries of struggle is slowly moving towards elements of an equal society. And an equal society is a nightmare for the gender, races and classes that have hitherto held the cards, and they won't let go without a struggle. So that's not anti-establishment, that's uber conservativism and a desire to keep the status quo. His anti-establishment schtick is only against the small section of government that is progressive. Over half of his Government's budget is spent on the military, is he against that? Not that I can see.

If there is an argument to hear what neo-fascists have to say then I think the host has to be more Paxman than Rogan, because otherwise, you are just giving a megaphone to dangerous and often hateful cnuts. That recent episode with Peterson was a festival of stupidity. Peterson made zero sense and Rogan just wowed along. The bit about the poor causing the climate problem that he had just said didn't exist was an early highlight of the utter nonsense. Also neither of them knowing the difference between an accident and the law of unintended consequences as they smugly giggled was beautiful. It was more cutting than any parody could have been.

None of ths is new. When he moved to Spotify two of the episodes featuring that other Canadian loon Stefan Molyneaux were not included because of presumably the content that got Molyneaux booted off Youtube. The Gavin McInnes episode also never made it to Spotify. The Proud Boys are Nazis no? Replacement theory? Southern Poverty Law Centre has them listed as a hate group? Openly misogynistic and anti-LBGTQ Rights? Rogan said of McInnes that He had him on because he knew him and that he didn't even know what the Prouds Boys were. The Trump defence.

Anyone who doesn't know Molyneaux can find out a bit here on this NYT Podcast about the youtube algorithms. Well worth a listen IMO
So do I want to ban him, no, I don't to ban anyone, but the idea that he is a free thinker, objective, balanced etc does my head in so I'll be using my free speech to qualify his whenever possible. When he has episodes from Maoists and Revolutionary Marxists taken of his playlist we can start the conversation about both fringes. Til then it's just obfuscation and not a real argument.
Yeah i think i agree with all that. I wouldn't want to ban him either (or anyone else i guess) but the idea of him being a legitimate source of information is laughable and dangerous.

Ladron de redcafe

The problem here for Spotify is enormous. Most of the time cancelling someone is not done by a corporation to demonstrate their values, it is done to protect their financial interests. There is no right financial move here for Spotify. Whatever they choose to do, they will be fecked. I actually got Spotify premium just so I can cancel it if they cancel Rogan.

I am sure Joe regrets going to Spotify. He lost independence, and people can come after him through a proxy - Spotify.

Anyhow I am curious what the end game is going to be. Cancelling Rogan is not your average cancelling job. It is cancelling top podcaster by a mile.

Good luck.
The state of this post and that bolded bit in particular :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How should people who are friends of Joe Rogan fight the shameless smear by corporate media and democratic party who loves "safe" candidates such as Clinton and Biden? Just stay quiet?
They can simply talk about it instead of creating the same sort of video, except in this case, one that portrays him the opposite way. Neither represent Rogan accurately. Simply talking about their experiences with him as Harris and Izzy did should be sufficient.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Reading the last couple of pages I see a lot of people here have said racist stuff enough times to make a compilation of it. Apparently we can do that to everyone.

Bobski

Yep.

Yet another reason to get out of the polarizing social media bubble, and form your own opinions away from the noise and toxicity.

Have been using Spotify for years, have never listened to Joe Rogan on that platform, he makes no difference to my desire to keep Spotify.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yep.

Yet another reason to get out of the polarizing social media bubble, and form your own opinions away from the noise and toxicity.

Have been using Spotify for years, have never listened to Joe Rogan on that platform, he makes no difference to my desire to keep Spotify.
Yes, I think people are finally getting wise to the fact that social media and network homophily as a whole, only suck them in to manipulate their emotions through binary debates. This just being the latest in a long line of them. A vast majority of Spotify users probably don''t listen to Rogan since his content is also on Youtube, and generally don't care about the outrages of the moment which seem to disappear just as quickly as they arrived.

nimic

something nice
Scout
They can simply talk about it instead of creating the same sort of video, except in this case, one that portrays him the opposite way. Neither represent Rogan accurately. Simply talking about their experiences with him as Harris and Izzy did should be sufficient.
I mean, it helps if they've actually said those things. Nobody forced Rogan to repeatedly say racist shit and then, some years later, spread vaccine misinformation.

cyberman

He also ranted about ANTIFA starting fires that was a proven nut job conspiracy and recently said why shouldn’t Ted Cruz have left Texas during the blackout because he had money.

Putting down anything that shines a negative light in Joe as editing or any such shit is beyond parody at this stage. There’s enough of Joe out there to know exactly what he is

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I mean, it helps if they've actually said those things. Nobody forced Rogan to repeatedly say racist shit and then, some years later, spread vaccine misinformation.
He should address them as he has over the past couple of videos and then move on. He hasn't apparently put out a mea culpa on the anti-vaxx question, which is recent and still needs to be addressed by him.

ExoduS

He also ranted about ANTIFA starting fires that was a proven nut job conspiracy and recently said why shouldn’t Ted Cruz have left Texas during the blackout because he had money.

Putting down anything that shines a negative light in Joe as editing or any such shit is beyond parody at this stage. There’s enough of Joe out there to know exactly what he is
O for real. Tables have turned drastically. Just a week ago, he was public enemy number one where his "critics" were in the spotlight. Today, those of us who actually watch his show, are in the spotlight. It is a beautiful sight where far left enthusiasts and establishment democrats have failed. Most moderate/reasonable left are on Joe Rogan's side, not all, but most.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
O for real. Tables have turned drastically. Just a week ago, he was public enemy number one where his "critics" were in the spotlight. Today, those of us who actually watch his show, are in the spotlight. It is a beautiful sight where far left enthusiasts and establishment democrats have failed. Most moderate/reasonable left are on Joe Rogan's side, not all, but most.
Explain the difference between an establishment democrat & a moderate democrat.

Where did you get this stat from? Can you post a link?

fergieisold

It’s totally pointless removing gender from an award when presumably many artists identify as an artist of their particular gender.

we will reach peak woke at some point. Then again they said we’d reach peak oil decades ago. :p

ExoduS

Explain the difference between an establishment democrat & a moderate democrat.

Where did you get this stat from? Can you post a link?
1. Moderate democrat is someone who supports Bernie Sanders, Andrew Yang, Elizabeth Warren and Tulsi Gabbard (before she went bat sh1t crazy and turned into somewhat of a right winger). They want to solve real issues such as health care, education, improve impoverished areas, meaningless wars, get wages to the point where people actually can survive and thrive. Establishment democrats are Clintons, Biden, Harris, Pete Buttigieg. Establishment democrats are corporate slaves who don't care for public good, but corporate interests. They get donations from coprorate sources, unlike Bernie Sanders and Andrew Yang who get funding from their supporters primarily.

2. I pulled it out my ass based on the observation I am seeing on twitter/reddit/various news feeds I am part of. Week ago it was full of Rogan smears and criticism, but now it is turning into more support and hypocrisy is getting exposed. I just want to point out, I am analyzing feeds based on anonymous access, not using my accounts. I perfectly understand that social media will flower me with opinions I like and agree with.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
1. Moderate democrat is someone who supports Bernie Sanders, Andrew Yang, Elizabeth Warren and Tulsi Gabbard (before she went bat sh1t crazy and turned into somewhat of a right winger). They want to solve real issues such as health care, education, improve impoverished areas, meaningless wars, get wages to the point where people actually can survive and thrive. Establishment democrats are Clintons, Biden, Harris, Pete Buttigieg. Establishment democrats are corporate slaves who don't care for public good, but corporate interests. They get donations from coprorate sources, unlike Bernie Sanders and Andrew Yang who get funding from their supporters primarily.

2. I pulled it out my ass based on the observation I am seeing on twitter/reddit/various news feeds I am part of. Week ago it was full of Rogan smears and criticism, but now it is turning into more support and hypocrisy is getting exposed. I just want to point out, I am analyzing feeds based on anonymous access, not using my accounts. I perfectly understand that social media will flower me with opinions I like and agree with.
You are actually insane and consumed by everything you accuse others of being.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
It’s totally pointless removing gender from an award when presumably many artists identify as an artist of their particular gender.

we will reach peak woke at some point. Then again they said we’d reach peak oil decades ago. :p
Say what?

I think you are talking about the completely artificial and manufactured right-wing outrage about Adele that they invented out of thin air to try to push more right-wing rubbish but not entirely sure.

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

@Sweet Square he's talking about you moderate centrists again,

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

You should have a podcast dude. It'd be a hit.

NotThatSoph

This is a bit too forced even for you. They did Artist of the Year, rather than a separate award for men and women.

I'm actually extremely curious, what is it that you think they did?

NotThatSoph

Nothing - the Adele stuff was fake. I just disagree with removal of gendered awards.
But what on earth did you talk about "presumably many artists identify as an artist of their particular gender" for when gender identity isn't relevant? Is it peak wokeness to not give out Nobel prizes for men and women as well?

If anything having separate categories for men and women where physiology doesn't mandate it is what usually gets attacked as woke, now not doing it is woke as well.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Djojkovic first, Joe Rogan next. I'm just waiting for the French open to be honest.