Joe Rogan

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
"What a dumb person thinks a smart person sounds like", is a genius 1 sentence review. It just encapsulates everything that makes him both shite and a harmful influence on gullible young people.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
"What a dumb person thinks a smart person sounds like", is a genius 1 sentence review. It just encapsulates everything that makes him both shite and a harmful influence on gullible young people.
TikTok has fried the brains of young girls to the point where they've stopped using contraceptions, resulting in a huge increase in unwanted pregnancies and abortions. With Joe Rogan being extremely male centric I wonder what the outcome will be? The world isn't ready for bowhunting incels on DMT.

Tarrou

my take on cancel culture is it’s always existed

black people, gay people, foreigners, women etc.. etc.. there’s been cancelling going on for centuries. If you did something bad you were cancelled, and in many cases if you did nothing wrong at all

the only difference today with the progression in society with equal rights, metoo, video evidence, historical sexual harassment cases and a million other things is now everyone is fair game

if you did stupid shit and you were powerful 50 years ago, it didn’t matter.. now it does, and you’re just as fecked as anyone else

so the powers that be have invented this push back, so when they got caught out they have something to blame it on

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Not really listened to his stuff much, only a few videos with Bill Burr because I think he's funny and Joe sets him up well, but I do find it funny that people want to get him canceled because he gives lunatics a platform and sometimes buys their bullshit. If everyone, including Joe Rogan, just stopped believing every single thing they see or hear on the internet then there's no need to cancel anyone.
Yeah, that's not why people want to cancel him.

Dan_F

I’m not sure if there’s a way to post Instagram posts here but if you want a laugh, have a look at his latest one.

Him and 6000 other commenters, worried about agreeing to a privacy notice for his heart rate monitor, even though his data is probably safer in the EU than America anyway.

Charlie Foley

I’m not sure if there’s a way to post Instagram posts here but if you want a laugh, have a look at his latest one.

Him and 6000 other commenters, worried about agreeing to a privacy notice for his heart rate monitor, even though his data is probably safer in the EU than America anyway.
I wonder how many of his apps aren’t bothering to ask for his consent and just doing the same shit automatically

Dan_F

I wonder how many of his apps aren’t bothering to ask for his consent and just doing the same shit automatically
Basically everything. I’m sure he’s using an iPhone. In fact Instagram itself probably has something similar he agreed to.

Eric_the_Red99

TikTok has fried the brains of young girls to the point where they've stopped using contraceptions, resulting in a huge increase in unwanted pregnancies and abortions. With Joe Rogan being extremely male centric I wonder what the outcome will be? The world isn't ready for bowhunting incels on DMT.
Got any actual evidence to back that up? TikTok, like all social media, is full of stupidity, but do you know for a fact there has been a ‘huge increase’ in unwanted pregnancies as a result? The only thing I can find after a quick google is a Mail Online article, which I wouldn’t count as evidence. Old media can be pretty dumb as well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Got any actual evidence to back that up? TikTok, like all social media, is full of stupidity, but do you know for a fact there has been a ‘huge increase’ in unwanted pregnancies as a result? The only thing I can find after a quick google is a Mail Online article, which I wouldn’t count as evidence. Old media can be pretty dumb as well.
I have no idea about any numbers, but anti-anticonception stuff is everywhere suddenly. It having an effect on unwanted pregnancies would be rather logical.

Eric_the_Red99

I have no idea about any numbers, but anti-anticonception stuff is everywhere suddenly. It having an effect on unwanted pregnancies would be rather logical.
Well there we go then. Don’t you see the irony of criticising misinformation being spread via social media when you yourself are making unsubstantiated claims because they ‘feel’ right?

There was a recent surge in unwanted pregnancies during the pandemic due to lockdowns preventing access to contraception. And cuts to family planning services have also been blamed for increases. It would seem unlikely that a short lived TikTok trend would have much of an impact over and above more widespread factors like these.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So, this is a review, I followed a link to the first primary study linked (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006899316301330?via=ihub#s0040)
From the Methods section:
"The EMP generator and exposure protocol is introduced previously (Jiang et al., 2013). In this study, repetition frequency was 100 Hz (100 pulses per second) and field strength was 50 kV/m"

From google, about wifi
https://www.emf-portal.org/en/emf-source/322
MeasurandValueFeatureRemarks
electric field strength0.02 V/m (mean, measured)2.4 GHzaveraged over measurements at different locations [2]
electric field strength0.06 V/m (mean, measured)frequency not specifiedaverage value of 18 participants, who were monitored with an RF exposimeter for 24h [3]
electric field strength0.07–0.6 V/m (calculated)2.4 GHzvalue span of 23 measurements with different settings of access point and measuring spectrum analyzer; weighting based on dual time-amplitude computation of the measured WiFi signal [4]
electric field strength0.1 V/m (maximum, simulated)5.2 GHzin the head of an adult [5]
electric field strength0.11 V/m (maximum, measured)2.4 GHzmaximum value out of 41 measuring sights in rural areas [6]

Not sure if this website is reliable, but it seems to rat test used a field strength about a 500000 - 1000000 times stronger than actual wifi??!!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Well there we go then. Don’t you see the irony of criticising misinformation being spread via social media when you yourself are making unsubstantiated claims because they ‘feel’ right?

There was a recent surge in unwanted pregnancies during the pandemic due to lockdowns preventing access to contraception. And cuts to family planning services have also been blamed for increases. It would seem unlikely that a short lived TikTok trend would have much of an impact over and above more widespread factors like these.
@Scandi Red might still come with a source. Bottom line I think all these things will contribute.

Re misinformation, if all missinformants would phrase their stuff tentively like I did in my post, it would be less problematic.

tomaldinho1

So, this is a review, I followed a link to the first primary study linked (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006899316301330?via=ihub#s0040)
From the Methods section:
"The EMP generator and exposure protocol is introduced previously (Jiang et al., 2013). In this study, repetition frequency was 100 Hz (100 pulses per second) and field strength was 50 kV/m"

From google, about wifi
https://www.emf-portal.org/en/emf-source/322
MeasurandValueFeatureRemarks
electric field strength0.02 V/m (mean, measured)2.4 GHzaveraged over measurements at different locations [2]
electric field strength0.06 V/m (mean, measured)frequency not specifiedaverage value of 18 participants, who were monitored with an RF exposimeter for 24h [3]
electric field strength0.07–0.6 V/m (calculated)2.4 GHzvalue span of 23 measurements with different settings of access point and measuring spectrum analyzer; weighting based on dual time-amplitude computation of the measured WiFi signal [4]
electric field strength0.1 V/m (maximum, simulated)5.2 GHzin the head of an adult [5]
electric field strength0.11 V/m (maximum, measured)2.4 GHzmaximum value out of 41 measuring sights in rural areas [6]

Not sure if this website is reliable, but it seems to rat test used a field strength about a 500000 - 1000000 times stronger than actual wifi??!!
I'm not really sure what you want me to say? I'm sure there's a reason they were testing at the level they were for something specific in relation to alzheimers, you can very quickly just go on pubmed and find articles where they are testing at Wifi specific strength if you want to. Point is, it is a real thing that scientists have been studying for decades but because Rogan chooses a non credible guest to talk about it you get the polarising reaction without any actual education on the topic.

Eric_the_Red99

@Scandi Red might still come with a source. Bottom line I think all these things will contribute.

Re misinformation, if all missinformants would phrase their stuff tentively like I did in my post, it would be less problematic.
“TikTok has fried the brains of young girls to the point where they've stopped using contraceptions, resulting in a huge increase in unwanted pregnancies and abortions.”

That wasn’t tentative. That was a definitive statement of fact.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
“TikTok has fried the brains of young girls to the point where they've stopped using contraceptions, resulting in a huge increase in unwanted pregnancies and abortions.”

That wasn’t tentative. That was a definitive statement of fact.
Ah I thought your post was also directed at me, hence why I said "like I did in my post". No that sentence cannot be described as tentative by any metric.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
No sources in English but here goes: https://www.vg.no/nyheter/i/gExlKq/flere-aborter-i-oslo-kvinner-maa-vente-uker-paa-behandling

To summarize:

- One of the main abortion clinics in Oslo has gone from 44 abortions per week to 70.
- The hospital has increased the opening hours of the phone helpline by 4 hours, but callers still have to wait for up to an hour for their turn because the number of callers is so high.
- A recurring theme are young girls who recently stopped using contraception to track their menstruation cycle on their own instead.
- This coincides with a new trend on TikTok and Instragram where several influencers are urging girls to stop using contraception.

I have some contacts in the dreaded mainstream media and they tell me that the doctors are not quite so diplomatic or calm when speaking off the record. They are genuinely pissed off at TikTok and Instagram influencers.

I'm not saying that TikTok or social media is the devil or anything. I generally think these issues are exaggerated. But this is one of those specific cases where social media clearly has played a part for the worse. Another bad (in my opinion) example is astrology becoming more popular. That was last year though, so maybe that trend has died.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No sources in English but here goes: https://www.vg.no/nyheter/i/gExlKq/flere-aborter-i-oslo-kvinner-maa-vente-uker-paa-behandling

To summarize:

- One of the main abortion clinics in Oslo has gone from 44 abortions per week to 70.
- The hospital has increased the opening hours of the phone helpline by 4 hours, but callers still have to wait for up to an hour for their turn because the number of callers is so high.
- A recurring theme are young girls who recently stopped using contraception to track their menstruation cycle on their own instead.
- This coincides with a new trend on TikTok and Instragram where several influencers are urging girls to stop using contraception.

I have some contacts in the dreaded mainstream media and they tell me that the doctors are not quite so diplomatic or calm when speaking off the record. They are genuinely pissed off at TikTok and Instagram influencers.

I'm not saying that TikTok or social media is the devil or anything. I generally think these issues are exaggerated. But this is one of those specific cases where social media clearly has played a part for the worse. Another bad (in my opinion) example is astrology becoming more popular. That was last year though, so maybe that trend has died.
The bolded is all the rage here too.

Eric_the_Red99

To summarize:

Well we'll see if this increase at one clinic in Norway is part of a global trend. But even the article casts doubt on whether TikTok is to blame. One bit says: "She believes that neither influencers nor the individual woman are responsible for the increasing number of abortions."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...raception-relationship-marriage-b2214318.html

nimic

something nice
Scout
What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Young dudes need to take some responsibility for not using condoms of course, but that can't be the only solution.
It's by far the easiest solution, and unlike hormonal contraception doesn't have any unwanted side-effects, to be fair. Still doesn't seem like we're at a place where it's advisable though.

I should also point out that the article you linked doesn't say anything about stopping contraception to track menstrual cycles, though one person in a linked article does (as one of three methods that she says should all be used simultaneously).

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
But even the article casts doubt on whether TikTok is to blame. One bit says: "She believes that neither influencers nor the individual woman are responsible for the increasing number of abortions."
Well that is because they are professionals being interviewed by a serious publication. They can say that there has been an increase in abortions. And they can say that a much cited reason is girls suddenly quitting contraception. But they can't make a definitive leap to TikTok and Instragram without hard data. You'd need to conduct a survey first.

But why would suddenly so many young girls stop using contraception and track their cycle instead? It's certainly not doctors or parents giving out that advice.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Well we'll see if this increase at one clinic in Norway is part of a global trend. But even the article casts doubt on whether TikTok is to blame. One bit says: "She believes that neither influencers nor the individual woman are responsible for the increasing number of abortions."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...raception-relationship-marriage-b2214318.html
That's a very strangely worded article. Surely it's not meaning to say that 25% of all women blame contraception to their relationship ending?

Young women using contraception in the Netherlands has dropped from 39% in 2014 to just 26% right now with doctors raising concerns that an increasing amount of young women want to prevent pregnancy the "natural way" by keeping track of their cycle. And while this works on paper, it's very hard to consistently do properly. Just ask my first born, it's the reason he exists :p

Eric_the_Red99

That's a very strangely worded article. Surely it's not meaning to say that 25% of all women blame contraception to their relationship ending?

Young women using contraception in the Netherlands has dropped from 39% in 2014 to just 26% right now with doctors raising concerns that an increasing amount of young women want to prevent pregnancy the "natural way" by keeping track of their cycle. And while this works on paper, it's very hard to consistently do properly. Just ask my first born, it's the reason he exists :p
Sorry, I didn’t mean to include that link, I must have forgotten to delete it. There were a few recent MSM articles I found casting doubt on the pill. The point I was going to make is that the TikTok influencer trend is merely a symptom of a wider scepticism about the pill, which is hardly new. I remember girls being worried about the side effects when I was a teenager, 20+ years ago.

More generally, I’d be reluctant to pin the blame for big societal changes on TikTok, which by its very nature, is fleeting and ephemeral. How many kids are still trying to eat Tide pods these days, for example?

What I do know is that TikTok is a favoured target of the right wing media in the UK and US. It’s mainly used by the hated Gen Z, and it’s Chinese owned, so it ticks a lot of boxes for them. Personally, I think Facebook is a far more toxic and malevolent influence in the world.

Anustart89

Natural Cycles is a 'contraceptive' app tracking the menstrual cycle, co-owned and pushed by Swedish influencer Isabella Löwengrip. A blog post from 2017 claims it has users in 161 countries. To suggest that influencers don't have an effect is naive at best.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/a/rLWz7R/isabella-lowengrip-skyller-pa-anvandarna-de-slarvar

A hospital had 37 women get pregnant while using the app which caused the hospital to report the app to the Swedish Medicines Agency. Link in Swedish obviously but basically the influencer responds by blaming the users for being non-compliant.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

I just spent 30 mins going through the comments on that post :lol:
Someone calmly explained what the disclaimer is about and how every app does the same thing only don't make you aware of it, and so many of them are just unable to comprehend his point. Some of the comments are so emblematic of just how you'd imagine some Rogan fans, just general outrage because someone is stating why the specific concerns here were misplaced. No attempt to engage with the points they've made just anger.
"That might be how it's done there Europoor but this is America"
"Typical soyboy comment"
"I stand with Joe stop bothering us on this page and get off!!"
Nowhere near the worst just three of the ones I read at the end so I remember them.

Dan_F

I just spent 30 mins going through the comments on that post :lol:
Someone calmly explained what the disclaimer is about and how every app does the same thing only don't make you aware of it, and so many of them are just unable to comprehend his point. Some of the comments are so emblematic of just how you'd imagine some Rogan fans, just general outrage because someone is stating why the specific concerns here were misplaced. No attempt to engage with the points they've made just anger.
"That might be how it's done there Europoor but this is America"
"Typical soyboy comment"
"I stand with Joe stop bothering us on this page and get off!!"
Nowhere near the worst just three of the ones I read at the end so I remember them.
He’s just posted about getting a Garmin watch. There’s no way they don’t have data processing T&C’s for Garmin :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
If there is anyone here who still thinks Rogan is some kind of benign, silly guy who just has interesting people from all sides on his podcast: you're a gullible idiot.

“The January 6 thing is bad, but also, the intelligence agencies were involved in provoking people into the Capitol Building. That’s a fact,” insisted Rogan

[...]

“Well, I think they were going to get him in any way that they could because he’s an enemy of the intelligence agencies, and he was openly talking about them being incompetent and being corrupt,” answered Rogan, who posited that the violence on January 6 allowed them to attack Trump as “this president is responsible for this insurrection attempt.”

ExoduS

Silly me trying to defend Joe over here. PBD got him so my services are no longer needed.

Ted Lasso

Well no. Most of the internet people see these days is targeted algorithm driven. The most logical thing here would be you've been watching too much insemination fetish porn and then getting anti contraception tik toks as a result which just gets you eager to bust another one out to creampie porn and then back to tik toks in a vicious cycle of masturbating which ironically is contradictory to your fetish.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Well no. Most of the internet people see these days is targeted algorithm driven. The most logical thing here would be you've been watching too much insemination fetish porn and then getting anti contraception tik toks as a result which just gets you eager to bust another one out to creampie porn and then back to tik toks in a vicious cycle of masturbating which ironically is contradictory to your fetish.
I...uhm....

You got me :nervous:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
A classic of portuguese tv, a pundit was trying to trash benfica and for some reason he even went after their website, which at the time still used google ads. "Even their site is ridiculous, filled with ads for hemorrhoids treatment" he said, I don't think he ever recovered from that.