John Motson has died

T_Model101

RIP, an iconic commentator in his prime
Did he ever make it to all the league grounds?
I remember when he was at a different one on every Football Focus

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The BBC had a legendary quartet of commentators - Richie Benaud (cricket), John Motson (football), Barry Davies (football and many other sports) and Bill McLaren (rugby). Of that quartet, only Barry Davies is still with us.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I couldnt find video of it. But this is one of my favourite Motty moments. Spain V Yugoslavia at Euro 2000

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Iconic voice, and an excellent selection of coats.

Look at that, absolute baller.

I'm sure I remember him donning a facemask during covid which matched his sheepskin jacket too. So meta.

His voice was a staple of my childhood, staying up late to watch MotD on my tiny portable telly. He was also the first time I heard proper commentary in a video game, on FIFA 96 on the PS1. He was the main guy for that for quite a long time, must've been mid-00s before he was replaced by Tyler.

RIP.

GlasgowCeltic

The BBC had a legendary quartet of commentators - Richie Benaud (cricket), John Motson (football), Barry Davies (football and many other sports) and Bill McLaren (rugby). Of that quartet, only Barry Davies is still with us.
used to like Tony Gubba, albeit he only seemed to commentate on the games not given top billing on MOTD so was always half asleep by that point

Mou Mou Land

A sad occasion and he will be sorely missed. I know there will be many tributes to his skill and artistry, but this is my favourite of all time:-

'So Bierhoff has a short time to press his claims, now that the two other strikers who started the match have been taken off'.

A seconds pause as the ball is passed forward to a certain German forward, and then he says...

'Kuntz'

As Mr Baddiel said on FFL - 'a bit harsh'. :)

IRN-BRUno

Bit of a shock when I saw the news earlier. Must be an incredible number of people who were brought up with him as the voice of football. RIP

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Jonn Motson, you were the voice of football for many generations, the commentary game has been all the poorer since you hung up your microphone, no one nowadays can compare with you. RIP Motty.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
I remember watching the game against Argentina at the Japan World Cup. Early morning start and already half cut in the pub by kick off. Motty was rambling about people eating their breakfast and saucers flying off of tables.

Castia

Bloody hell that’s awful news to wake up to

RIP Motty

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
RIP. Only knew him from the earlier FIFA games, but liked his voice and style.

ROFLUTION

RIP. Mostly remember him as the legendary commentator in FIFA 99 (I played that a lot) - who was the other one?

iguanamanc

Shit - you know your time on earth is limited as you see these football icons pass away. That’s the second in a few days. RIP Motty, at least you won’t need your sheepskin where you’re heading.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Shit - you know your time on earth is limited as you see these football icons pass away. That’s the second in a few days. RIP Motty, at least you won’t need your sheepskin where you’re heading.
who else died a few days ago?

Chip

RIP. Mostly remember him as the legendary commentator in FIFA 99 (I played that a lot) - who was the other one?
Andy Gray?

Edit: Apparently not in FIFA 99 - it was Mark Lawrenson.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
Remember Fergie giving him a hairdryer when he asked about Roy Keane. The clip is out there.

RopersReturn

'How fitting a man called Buchan should climb the 39 steps to receive the Trophy.'.....F.A.Cup Final 1977.

OverratedOpinion

How horrible to hear, RIP and thank you for being the voice of football for so many of our childhoods.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s sad to hear but I’m glad he went peacefully in his sleep, he did one heck of a job. R.I.P

JonnyIreland

Genuinely sad about this one, as others have already said he was the voice of football commentary for me growing up. Loved his style of commentary, just the right balance of enthusiasm and facts about the game.

sallycinnamin

So sad. His commentary and instantly taken back to the days of my childhood especially F.A Cup days. Then so many bits of trivia and lesser known facts ever before the digital age. So knowledgeable and one of life's true gentlemen. Rest in peace and thanks for the memories Motty.