John Stones | Performances

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
They usually stopped in quarter, but you can't deny that they were miles better than the current group of players.

In 2008 you had Rio and Terry, today Stones and Cahill !
We've been garbage at international level for a very long time, it's not unique to our current crop of young players.

The so called golden generation, please!

Righteous Steps

Don't see a single English journalist or pundit slaughtering him like they did with David Luiz. Wonder why that could be...:wenger:

I honestly think Stones buys into his own hype. He dwells on the ball needlessly all the time and takes stupid risks. It even sometimes looks like he intentionally invites pressure just to show a trick or two with the ball at his feet.

He's a very good footballer (or can be when he's keeping it simple) but a terrible defender. I remember there was a thread here just before the season started asking who was better between Luiz and Stones. Most people agreed it is Luiz and based on what we've seen this season it's not close.
Both Luiz and Stones aren't too great.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The problem with this lad is he's not very good at the things he should be good at in his position. I'd argue he'd be better off pushed into midfield, where he can get on the ball more and if he actually did try and run the ball out, it wouldn't be an absolute disaster losing it.

I agree with @Orc with him believing his own hype. That's what's hindered him massively. He should of stayed at Everton and learnt how to defend better for a few more seasons, before probably outgrowing the club. He thought he'd already outgrown the club, whilst not actually being a very good defender. Now he has a massive price tag slapped on him, he's moved too early to a big club and getting found out. I hope he doesn't do a Micah Richards and just fade into obscurity.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Hmm, I im in a minority then. Despite his flaws he is offensively miles ahead of any other english CB. For me he is still the best english defender.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Hmm, I im in a minority then. Despite his flaws he is offensively miles ahead of any other english CB. For me he is still the best english defender.
Quite, at 22 he's a baby for a CB and being with the best coach in the business can't be a bad thing. He's going to learn quickly, despite some flaws there's an awful lot to like.

Hostekule

Admittedly I haven't watched much of him this season, but why are people writing him off/slating him? He's a 22 year old english cb that got the chance to work under Pep and be one of his main men. Who would say no to that? Was Pique even playing regularly at 22?

Pep encourages his players to play aggressive and to always try maintinaing possesioon which will result in more mistakes, especially for young player not used to pep's demands.

DanClancy

Flaws offensively? He's got far more flaws defensively, he's not improved that part of his game in the last 2 years at all. It looks like he should have stayed at Everton for another season and learnt to defend properly before making the step up. He just doesn't seem to have a defenders instinct, I've been surprised at just how many mistakes he's made in the games I've seen.

In fairness he is still very young and has time on his side to improve but the reality is that none of the current England centre half's are anywhere near world class and none of them would have got near an England squad in the last 15 years.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
You make it sound like Everton were the holy great school of defenders. Or do you think a little bit of "Jagielka does it like this and that" would have helped him a lot?
Honestly even if he gets going I do not think that he'll be the kind of the defender that can shine in all formations. From my perspective, the opportunity to work under Pep was the best choice for him, since Pep's setup and Stones' style do match well.
But as I said he probably will never be a defender who could starr in a United team or the pre-Conte Chelsea teams.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think that says more about English defenders than it does John Stones. He's got good potential but he's currently making way too many mistakes.

DanClancy

You make it sound like Everton were the holy great school of defenders. Or do you think a little bit of "Jagielka does it like this and that" would have helped him a lot?
Honestly even if he gets going I do not think that he'll be the kind of the defender that can shine in all formations. From my perspective, the opportunity to work under Pep was the best choice for him, since Pep's setup and Stones' style do match well.
But as I said he probably will never be a defender who could starr in a United team or the pre-Conte Chelsea teams.
Yet you consider him England 1st choice centre half? Southgate is hardly going to set England up like Pep's City do.

You may well be right and only time will tell whether it was right for him to make the move last summer but from what I've seen so far I'm not convinced.

SteveTheRed

Stones being the best English defender at the moment is a bit far fetched! I will admit he has the potential to be, but right now he is a young defender capable of great games but far too many mistakes which is completely normal for most young players.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I don't agree with this. He holds onto the ball for far too long on many occasions. Sometimes it pays off and looks good but when it goes wrong it always leads to a chance for the other team as he's a center back. He doesn't seem to grasp calculated risks.

And as good as it is to have a ball playing center back its pretty pointless if they are not a great defender.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Stones is not better than Wes Brown at the same age. Not even talking about Rio.

English football is not producing good players and the English press is always overestimating them.

If you count on Hart, Walker, Stones, Cahill, Gibbs, Henderson, Dier, Alli, Walcott, Lallana and Kane to win the WC or the Euros....

Long gone the Scholes, Becks, Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves, Rooney, Rio, Terry, Cole etc
I'd say they're equal. Brownie's made similar mistakes back then. He was so bad at times , him and Barthez were like the Stan and Olio of the football world

Varun

Staff
How does being the best offensively make you the best defender? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Varun

Staff
Is Lingard the best English attacker because he's the one that's best at contributing defensively?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Personally I think we missed a bullet with this one. Shockingly poor at reading the game and i'm not convinced he ever will be.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Admittedly I haven't watched much of him this season, but why are people writing him off/slating him? He's a 22 year old english cb that got the chance to work under Pep and be one of his main men. Who would say no to that? Was Pique even playing regularly at 22?

Pep encourages his players to play aggressive and to always try maintinaing possesioon which will result in more mistakes, especially for young player not used to pep's demands.
Because as good as Pep is,he is not a miracle worker. It's not a Fifa like trajectory.Just because he is young doesn't mean he will suddenly get better with age.Sometimes players never reach the heights people think they will. That's usually more true than not with young players.

I don't think Stones is a good defender.It even precedes his time at City.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Keano’s view (Daily Mail) of the Mönchengladbach goal:

'[For the goal] he's got to be stronger, he's got to be tougher. It's just too easy, he's like a child getting knocked off the ball,' said Keane.

'He's hoping one of his team-mates can help him out here but they punished and rightly so. Really poor defending, he's got to be stronger.

'He's a good player but he's just got to be tougher and stronger.'

TheReligion

Abusive
Not even in the squad. Currently not playing.

50m..

Funny how people jump all over Pogba despite him actually playing well with ridiculous memes and articles yet this goes almost unoticed..

Silverman

Not even in the squad. Currently not playing.

50m..

Funny how people jump all over Pogba despite him actually playing well with ridiculous memes and articles yet this goes almost unoticed..
Exactly, Pogba has actually done well imo. Not fantastic but well. His strength and presence in CM is what we have missed imo and he has chipped in with some important goals. Now we would hopefully expect more from Pogba in the future but he has to be given plenty of time.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
- Hope you're not too tired this morning
- Super but was worth it hah hope your not
- I overslept by nearly an hour haha always worth it

Cringe :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Footballers that bother hiding affairs are stupid imo. Just break up with your girlfriend ffs. The ladies they cheat with always talk.