John Stones | Performances

Jackylad

Doesn't mean he is a cnut - just that he did a stupid thing. I think I've read that he has done quite a few good deeds, in fact.
That was just my assumption of what the original post was referring to, I've always thought less of him because of the above but it probably doesn't reflect who he is off the pitch...

Rossa

What annoys me is that if Stones was a United player, the media would be all over him. I don't think he even made the top ten signing flops list.

MartialsBeard

What annoys me is that if Stones was a United player, the media would be all over him. I don't think he even made the top ten signing flops list.
Thats because hes young (hes not , hes 23) and part of the Pep revolution to change the entire league and national team (he wont).

Celestiale

Thats because hes young (hes not , hes 23) and part of the Pep revolution to change the entire league and national team (he wont).
He is 22, and that is very very young for a defender at a top team. We lable Bailly as talent currently, can't see that much of a difference. With that age you need a strong leading defender next to you, pretty much the opposite is happening at City (him being the only central defender). Everyone could clearly see what a genius CB Stones is, when he was in a settled defense. I'd never have him as "flop transfer", he will surely turn out to be great. If City is going to buy a new defender in Januar, i am pretty sure it's Otamendi who is to go to the sidelines.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He is 22, and that is very very young for a defender at a top team. We lable Bailly as talent currently, can't see that much of a difference. With that age you need a strong leading defender next to you, pretty much the opposite is happening at City (him being the only central defender). Everyone could clearly see what a genius CB Stones is, when he was in a settled defense. I'd never have him as "flop transfer", he will surely turn out to be great. If City is going to buy a new defender in Januar, i am pretty sure it's Otamendi who is to go to the sidelines.
Not quite, Rio Ferdinand was captaining Leeds in European semi-finals at 22. He's the defender they like to compare Stones too. I haven't seen an ounce of leadership quality in Stones, he looks meek and mild mannered. Of course not every defender develops in the same way, but he's been a premiership player now for what 3 years? At what point are we going to stop giving him excuses?

Bailly is different for a number of reasons, 1) he's brand new to the league 2) can barely speak english 3) has had a few injuries already 4) has only been playing football for a few years.

MartialsBeard

Bailly is undeniably better than Stones, has no senior player guiding him through and hasn't had two seasons to "adjust". Im sure one day Stones will be good, but the current situation is he is a liability and losing City goals and therefore games.

Bwuk

Bailly isn't as good on the ball as Stones, but he is a miles better defender.

Celestiale

Not quite, Rio Ferdinand was captaining Leeds in European semi-finals at 22. He's the defender they like to compare Stones too. I haven't seen an ounce of leadership quality in Stones, he looks meek and mild mannered. Of course not every defender develops in the same way, but he's been a premiership player now for what 3 years? At what point are we going to stop giving him excuses?

Bailly is different for a number of reasons, 1) he's brand new to the league 2) can barely speak english 3) has had a few injuries already 4) has only been playing football for a few years.
Well Rio was the best defender in the world for a while, i am not necessarily saying that Stones will be the same. But he was, and is going to be a decent defender, with superb technical and ballplaying ability (for a defender), i'd definitely give him the potential to reach Hummels. Stones already had a very good year, and give him the proper surroundings he will be one good defender again.
Bailly is undeniably better than Stones, has no senior player guiding him through and hasn't had two seasons to "adjust". Im sure one day Stones will be good, but the current situation is he is a liability and losing City goals and therefore games.
Undeniably? :lol: Sorry mate, but you saw him what, maybe 2 month? Stones first year at Everton was as good, let's just see if Bailly can show this form for the whole season. Liability? Every City defender, and their goalkeepers are liabilities. Blind was a liability as well, and still a few fans worshipped him. Boateng is a liability for Bayern this season. I am pretty sure Stones won't lose his place in the first 11 at City.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Well Rio was the best defender in the world for a while, i am not necessarily saying that Stones will be the same. But he was, and is going to be a decent defender, with superb technical and ballplaying ability (for a defender), i'd definitely give him the potential to reach Hummels. Stones already had a very good year, and give him the proper surroundings he will be one good defender again.

Undeniably? :lol: Sorry mate, but you saw him what, maybe 2 month? Stones first year at Everton was as good, let's just see if Bailly can show this form for the whole season. Liability? Every City defender, and their goalkeepers are liabilities. Blind was a liability as well, and still a few fans worshipped him. Boateng is a liability for Bayern this season. I am pretty sure Stones won't lose his place in the first 11 at City.
What expectations were on Everton? What kind of pressure?...No offense to Everton but they have great games and not so great games. There is no divine right to know that stones will even improve from the level he's at and there is nothing to say that he won't stop making mistakes now and then. He could be the new Bamble.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Hummels level I think is reachable. He had one good year, and so far 2 terrible years at a mid-table team who were aiming to get into the European spots. There's a much different kind of expectation on you. Since he's had the weight of expectation on him, his performances have suffered.
I personally think the ball playing role is overrated and he should work on his positional sense, interceptions, anticipations etc. He's not a 'tackler' as such but ball playing CB's usually dont need to tackle because they're in the right place, and stop attacks before a tackle is needed.
Ball playing can always be improved on.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bailly isn't as good on the ball as Stones, but he is a miles better defender.
This! A lot of defenders can aspire to be a Baresi or Maldini and end up being crap.

Defend first like a Vidic/Bruce/Stam

Celestiale

What expectations were on Everton? What kind of pressure?...No offense to Everton but they have great games and not so great games. There is no divine right to know that stones will even improve from the level he's at and there is nothing to say that he won't stop making mistakes now and then. He could be the new Bamble.
Not so much pressure, but he showed to have great potential, and showed great technical ability. You are right, there is no divine right - however the same could happen to virtually everyone. I'd still say in a few years time City will be very glad to have him.
Hummels level I think is reachable. He had one good year, and so far 2 terrible years at a mid-table team who were aiming to get into the European spots. There's a much different kind of expectation on you. Since he's had the weight of expectation on him, his performances have suffered.
I personally think the ball playing role is overrated and he should work on his positional sense, interceptions, anticipations etc. He's not a 'tackler' as such but ball playing CB's usually dont need to tackle because they're in the right place, and stop attacks before a tackle is needed.
Ball playing can always be improved on.
I agree. But the same happend to Martial..it's normal that young players have a drop. As for defenders, Boateng at his age was at City as well, and didn't even manage to get a foot down. Godin was still playing in Uruguay. Pepe was at CS Maritimo, a Portuguese mid-table team. Thiago Silva was loaned out to fecking Dynamo Moscow and failed there. All defenders that are regarded the best in the world right now. People seem to forget that it's far from normal to be CB at a top team aged 22. There is plenty of time to learn all the important defender traides

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Not so much pressure, but he showed to have great potential, and showed great technical ability. You are right, there is no divine right - however the same could happen to virtually everyone. I'd still say in a few years time City will be very glad to have him.

I agree. But the same happend to Martial..it's normal that young players have a drop. As for defenders, Boateng at his age was at City as well, and didn't even manage to get a foot down. Godin was still playing in Uruguay. Pepe was at CS Maritimo, a Portuguese mid-table team. Thiago Silva was loaned out to fecking Dynamo Moscow and failed there. All defenders that are regarded the best in the world right now. People seem to forget that it's far from normal to be CB at a top team aged 22. There is plenty of time to learn all the important defender traides
That's a fair point, but at the same time, those players you listed are rare. Most defenders usually have all the potential to be the best, and end up playing for mid level teams. Very few defenders end up being on the same level as those you listed - it's the reason why buying a good consistent defender is tough for anyone.
Even Hummels this time 2 years ago would have been considered one of the best in the world, but now he's struggling with more expectation at a bigger club.
I think it's far more normal for a CB to be average, with great games sandwiched in, than to reach levels of Godin/Silva/Pepe etc.

Plus Martial again, is new to the league so it's an unfair comparison. He came out of nowhere, had a lot of expectation placed on him but still delivered. Stones isn't doing that.

Celestiale

That's a fair point, but at the same time, those players you listed are rare. Most defenders usually have all the potential to be the best, and end up playing for mid level teams. Very few defenders end up being on the same level as those you listed - it's the reason why buying a good consistent defender is tough for anyone.
Even Hummels this time 2 years ago would have been considered one of the best in the world, but now he's struggling with more expectation at a bigger club.
I think it's far more normal for a CB to be average, with great games sandwiched in, than to reach levels of Godin/Silva/Pepe etc.

Plus Martial again, is new to the league so it's an unfair comparison. He came out of nowhere, had a lot of expectation placed on him but still delivered. Stones isn't doing that.
Completely agree to the bigger part - hence it's so difficult to scout and predict CBs potential. Education at a top team during the 20s can make a big difference, also on standing. Let's see where it's going for him. The talent is definitely there.

Disagree with the Martial part. He was already a star at Monaco, carried the team in important games (Arsenal for example). Came to us and had a very good impact. Now there are way bigger expectations on him, and he doesn't deliver anymore. Currently the same problem for both Stones and him. Both will be sorted out..that's normal for every player in his early days

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
There's a bit of a myth about how good Stones actually is on the ball. There's being good on the ball and there is being comfortable in possession. Stones is comfortable in possession, he is not good on the ball. His passing is okay for a centre back, I'd argue it would be poor for an average premier ship midfielder.
Luiz and Toby are both miles better on the ball with a much better passing range.

cyberman

A drop? It's looking as if Stones good season at Everton is the outlier, not the following EIGHTEEN months of horrendous form.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His problem is he is following a false prophet. Tony Pulis would be far more useful for him than Pep. Pep hasn't got a clue how to defend, and would probably play Zidane at centre-half. Anyone who lines up with Sagna Stones and Kolarov in a back 3 in a PL away game is a disrespect to the sport, and he got what he deserves.

Managing a team that actually has to defend is new to him. He has had the luxury of just playing midfielders and full-backs in defence his whole career and being hailed some sort of genius for it.