John Stones | Performances

hobbers

Who'd have thought Phil Jones would be playing like a £50m centreback while Stones performs in every game like a fan who's getting a player for the day experience.

Jerch

Who'd have thought Phil Jones would be playing like a £50m centreback while Stones performs in every game like a fan who's getting a player for the day experience.
Me. I always rated Jones as the most talented English CB, much more talented then Smalling, never mind Stones. Only question mark with Jones I had were injuries...

Skills

Snitch
Jones could always defend. Just couldn't keep fit. Stones has never been as good a defender Jones was even as a 19 year old - even with his rash tendencies.

ZAGREB RED

One could argue that Pep is using Stones wrong and under Mourinho he'd be a better player. Or even Mourinho didn't expect Stones to be so shit.
Had Mourinho signed him, I don't think he would be telling him to always try and football, you have a point, but it was ironic that the 4th goal came today when he was actually just trying to belt the ball clear rather than attempting a pass that wasn't on. Earlier on, in the same area of the pitch, when he flicked the ball up for himself and sliced it way up in the air, that pretty much summed him up. Far too casual and over-confident, to put it mildly.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He's made plenty of individual errors.

It's also worth pointing out that he was pants at Everton and most people were laughing at the transfer when it happened.
This is a defense that is poor individually and tactically. Stones gets most of the grief here but, he is far from the only problem.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Jones always defended well when he was fit. People forgot that since he was injured for such a long time.

pseudo_canadian

For a ball-playing CB he's pretty fecking atrocious on the ball.

Can't defend either, and is constantly physically bullied by opposition players.

Honestly, is he good at anything?

FujiVice

Otamendi and Stones could have been our centre halfs if some fans would have had their way.

sekularic

well, at least its not his fault someone paid 50 million for him. that might be something to cheer him up

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
"every defender at City could be sold.......... Apart from John Stones"

Carragher just now. How is he being excepted?!
He should be kept as an example for a future City defenders of how not to play?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Otamendi and Stones could have been our centre halfs if some fans would have had their way.
Both can be a good combination under Mourinho, I'd think. They're not poor defenders per se, just extremely unsuited to the kind of play that Pep asks of them.

Stones should have spent time under Koeman learning how to defend, he's a lot of potential being wasted now, being asked to focus on build-up play while he is still suspect defensively. He is paying a price for being a young defender who can pass.

Acole9

Outstanding
Can't understand why the Everton fans were booing Stones, for me you only do that when you're hurt that a good player has left you. Their fans should be happy they sold him because it's fantastic piece of business for Everton because he is garbage, Ashley Williams is a far better defender than him.

Ban

He played Lukaku onside and gave the ball to Mirallas after a bad tackle. Anything else. That is enough to laugh at him granted. :D

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Terrible performance from him today but he is getting badly exposed by what is happening in front of him.

izec

Seems like every 2 games he has a terrible performance and the other ones are shit too, but not absolutely shit. He is a running joke currently.

Ashley R1+O

Shearer was rinsing him and Phil was trying to absolve him of everything. Made for and amusing spot on MOTD.

Lentwood

I said it since the beginning of last year, John Stones is now and always will be a terrible centre half. The lad cannot defend. I don't care how many keepy-ups he can do his positioning is poor and is easily bullied. If this lad were not English he would have been getting absolutely crucified for his performances even last year at Everton and would have most likely be hounded out of the division by the media

At 22, he would need to be well in advance of where he is in terms of basic defensive ability to still be considered a "prospect". The only way I see City salvaging anything from this transfer is if they try and convert him to a holding midfielder.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I can't see Pep standing for this much longer.

Pep will try and save his own skin and that will include binning Stones.

I expect City to Spend heavily to replace both Stones and Otamendi in defense. Neither is fit for purpose.
Who does though, it could just be rinse and repeat all over again. Maybe some defenders just can't cope with PL football. Stones just isn't as good as he thinks he is.

ti vu

I can't see Pep standing for this much longer.

Pep will try and save his own skin and that will include binning Stones.

I expect City to Spend heavily to replace both Stones and Otamendi in defense. Neither is fit for purpose.
Problem is how can they replace both. There ain't no potential or veteran CBs available. And the competition for the signings of those would be stiff given Barcelona, Chelsea,... even us would compete for these CBs.

Murray3007

Remember city had the young lad Nastatsic who had a great 1st season at the club then had a bad couple months and the media ripped him to shreads, yet he was not nearly half as bad as what any of the current CB at city have been. Stones, Otamendi, Kompany are all pretty poor as defenders. There CM leaves them way to exposed as well in fairness

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Who does though, it could just be rinse and repeat all over again. Maybe some defenders just can't cope with PL football. Stones just isn't as good as he thinks he is.
They will have to keep spending until they get it right.

They seem to buy the latest flavour of the month without much planning. Long may their struggle continue though

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Problem is how can they replace both. There ain't no potential or veteran CBs available. And the competition for the signings of those would be stiff given Barcelona, Chelsea,... even us would compete for these CBs.
That's their problem though.

I don't want them to fix it, but I'm simply pointing it out.

And every one in the market knows that they are desperate so they will pay quite a premium.

ti vu

If Stones had a good, experienced partner alongside him it would be better for him.
And a coach who set up defending unit properly. Having Martinez and Pep is a disaster for his career. He needs to learn how to defend first.