John Stones | Performances

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Interesting to see how you guys are going to lineup.

A trio of Gundogan-KDB-Silva is definitely too weak to all start, so, ideally 1-2 will be benched.
Fernandinho Gundogan
Silva de Bruyne Sane
Aguero

That seems fine to me. Not sure how you conclude that trio is too weak to all start, the only issue I can see is it means one of de Bruyne/Silva has to play out wide when both are better in the #10 role.

Morpheus 7

He's a good player, be interesting to see how he gets on. Funny timing of the announcement, trying to deflect the real news today.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
One of the most awkward interviews I've seen in a while:

* "I spoke to a lot of the guys... Joe Hart" (moves on because he can't name anyone else).
* "I need to let people know "(about the deal - the media has already done that)
* "It's been a long day" (what an opener).

He'll do well under Pep he likes ball playing CBs and he can pass from deep no doubt, just the interview for me was cringeworthy.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Stones to City is a win-win situation for England+Manchester United fans.....either he'll be a very good/world-class CB or he'll be another expensive CB failure.

And for that price he can only be a good buy or bad buy......there's no middle way.

If he works hard and listens to his coaches & Kompany then there should be no doubt that he'll be a good buy for City.....he's one of the top 5 young CB's in the world and if he goes that way then he'll be one of the top 5 CB's in the world for the next years.
He's a good player, be interesting to see how he gets on. Funny timing of the announcement, trying to deflect the real news today.
Nah i don' think so.....the main reason was surely the Champions League deadline to get him in the squad for the first leg against Steaua Bucharest.

surf

Blind was better than him as a ball-playing centre back last season. Let's see how it works out this season. Seems like Mourinho preferred Bailly this time round even though he wanted Stones last summer. Game on.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He's mustard. Floundered under Martinez, but that's the case for any defender that's ever played under him.

Stones is better for Pep than Bailly
Bailly is better for Mourinho than Stones

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pogba not at his peak is still one of the best midfielders in the world and has already been in the Fifa World XI at the age of 23. You aren't seriously saying that's comparable to Stones who can only be seen as pure potential since he was probably one of the worst cbs in the league last year.
Never said that, all I'm pointing to is the amount the 2 clubs are paying just on 'Potential'. As per current ability they are worth maybe 15m and 40-45m pounds

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
One of the most awkward interviews I've seen in a while:

* "I spoke to a lot of the guys... Joe Hart" (moves on because he can't name anyone else).
* "I need to let people know "(about the deal - the media has already done that)
* "It's been a long day" (what an opener).

He'll do well under Pep he likes ball playing CBs and he can pass from deep no doubt, just the interview for me was cringeworthy.
The interview was done late the night before, before the media knew, and after a long day. ;)

Robbie Boy

Can't be arsed reading this whole thread; what's the consensus on Stones? Is everyone still saying he's a-bit shit?

He was definitely poor last season but Martinez is like a defensive magician, in that he could make a prime Rio and Vidic look like the worst defenders on the planet. It's clear that Stones has huge potential and I unfortunately think that Guardiola is going to turn him into a very good player. Judging Stones on his performances last season is kind of null and void, I feel.

mr.suave

He wasn't great last season, but I still think he'll end up being a quality player. Would've taken him at United quite happily.

I expect him to do really well at City, given that he's pretty much tailor-made for a Guardiola team.

Libano

Interesting to see how you guys are going to lineup.

A trio of Gundogan-KDB-Silva is definitely too weak to all start, so, ideally 1-2 will be benched.
With all due respect but you, sir, are a madman. This is potentially one of the best midfields in world football and perfect for Pep's football. Just look at Barca's midfield of the last few years, mostly midgets, but they'll be having the ball most of time will the opponent's strongmen will be chasing shadows.

No, the City midfield has me worried.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think that is an outlandish comment at all. Stones couldn't even get in the Everton team at the end of last season or the England team ahead of Cahill. Blind started almost all of United's games last season and won the FA Cup.

Stones is a great talent but has always been error prone, at the end of last season he was in terrible form.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Fernandinho Gundogan
Silva de Bruyne Sane
Aguero

That seems fine to me. Not sure how you conclude that trio is too weak to all start, the only issue I can see is it means one of de Bruyne/Silva has to play out wide when both are better in the #10 role.
Looks great to me. Your fullbacks are shit though. Will you sign any?

hobbers

Blind is obviously better than Stones right now, that's not even a debatable subject.

Stones is better for Pep than Bailly
Bailly is better for Mourinho than Stones
Although if Bailly is to be believed, City wanted him and he had Yaya Toure and one of Pep's assistants phoning him up. Turned them down because he preferred Mourinho. Wonder if City would have bothered with Stones had they landed Bailly.

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
That's not true, Sagna is a good right back (for at least one more season) and Clichy is decent. The backups are pretty shite mind. Zab's legs have gone and kolarov is, well Kolarov.

Our best 11 is pretty strong:

Hart
Sagna kompany Stones Clichy
Gundogan Ferds
Sane De Bruyne Silva
Aguero

And subs not bad too: Caballero, Otamendi, Zab, Delph, Yaya, Sterling, Nacho

Trizy

He's alright but Peps style will make him look better. Which means he'll suit City perfectly so it's a good signing for them.

Similar to Pique, I'm not convinced he's anywhere near the top defenders of his generation based on defending alone but he's the key to a style of playing/tactics.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's alright but Peps style will make him look better. Which means he'll suit City perfectly so it's a good signing for them.

Similar to Pique, I'm not convinced he's anywhere near the top defenders of his generation based on defending alone but he's the key to a style of playing/tactics.
Martinez played pretty much like Pep anyway, don't see how he will look any better than he did before. We all know he's good at passing and composed on the ball, but his defending is a bit ropey. Can Pep make him a great defender? we shall see.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
That's not true, Sagna is a good right back (for at least one more season) and Clichy is decent. The backups are pretty shite mind. Zab's legs have gone and kolarov is, well Kolarov.

Hart
Gundogan Ferds
Sane De Bruyne Silva
Aguero

It's quite strong, indeed. Problem is, you know most of the time it will be Otamendi, Kolarov, Fernando and Sterling instead of Kompany, Clichy, Gundogan and Aguero.

cyberman

Blind would be a perfect signing for a Guardiola led City to be fair.

drmuji

I don't think that is an outlandish comment at all. Stones couldn't even get in the Everton team at the end of last season or the England team ahead of Cahill. Blind started almost all of United's games last season and won the FA Cup.

Stones is a great talent but has always been error prone, at the end of last season he was in terrible form.
Not an outlandish comment.
He has the potential to be a better defender than Blind, for sure. But Blind was far better than him last season.
I wasn't laughing at the suggestion. I was laughing that it actually was true ..... meaning blind is worth more than 50 to Me :lol::lol::lol:

NinjaFletch

Hart
Gundogan Ferds
Sane De Bruyne Silva
Aguero

Considering how much money you've spent on it I really do think your squad is a bit shit.

Like it's not bad, but it's not like 'omg this City team is terrifying and they're going to win the league' good which I was expecting you to create this summer.

ZDwyr

Hard to judge him properly because he played under Martinez - who can't create any sort of defensive organisation. I think he'll do well for City, not sure he'll ever be world class unless he can find some aggression and determination when it comes to pure defending though.

m1y2

We needed a ball playing defender and I think the Arsenal game really showed that. Of course we paid the homegrown tax to get him. I'm not blown away by this signing but not worried either. He'll suit the style we're trying to play, and even though he might cost us 2 or 3 goals a season thats still 80 less than Mangala or MDM. Price is alot but in a world where Pogba goes for more than Suarez, Ronaldo and Bale I guess we just have to get used of the inflation, add in the HG rule and you can stick another 10m on top. Overpriced? Easily, but 50m is not a huge amount for sides fighting for the title to spend on a player these days and its going to get worse.
inflation is a natural think and you pay big money for the biggest stars in football, I don't see anything bad on Pogba going for more then them. He's going to be baloon d'or contender next 10 years.. there was a table with turnovers and transfers we made over the years, we payed more for Ferdinand and Veron back in the day than Pogba who wouldn't even be as expensive as Zidane/Kaká considering Real's turnover back in the day..

Stones is a great talent but even with the English tax, do-not-want-to sell tax, he's nowhere near the value Pogba's but feck it if he performs no one will ever asks questions about his price. It's not like the fiasco Juve made with acquisition of that fat striker from Argentina for 75 mil... it's still good business.

namco

Hart
Gundogan Ferds
Sane De Bruyne Silva
Aguero

:) :) That bench is dogshit & you know it.

Libano

Hart
Gundogan Ferds
Sane De Bruyne Silva
Aguero

Pep's style of overloading the midfield won't be easy with fullbacks of the caliber of Sagna or Clichy. It would not surprise me if he is planning on playing a back 3 with Stones, Kompany and Otamendi and throws in an extra midfielder, ideally someone who can spray passes across the pitch. This is going to be one of the most interesting projects in the premier league. I wonder if Yaya is going to be utilized in any way.

Classical Mechanic

Hart
Gundogan Ferds
Sane De Bruyne Silva
Aguero

The back five is an awful return for the investment though the front three of KDB, Silva and Aguero is fantastic.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
The back five is an awful return for the investment though the front three of KDB, Silva and Aguero is fantastic.
Seriously?

Hart - £1m
Sagna - Free
Kompany - £6m
Stones - £47.5m + £2.5m add-ons
Clichy - £7m

4 of those 5 have proven to be excellent value for money. Only the Stones fee at over 3 times what the other 4 cost combined skews things, and to be fair he's not even played a single game for us yet! Granted, when you include the fees for Otamendi and Mangala the that puts an entirely different spin on it but of the back 5 he quoted I think we've had a very good return on what was paid for them, and that's without Stones having a chance to prove himself so far.

Classical Mechanic

Seriously?

Hart - £1m
Sagna - Free
Kompany - £6m
Stones - £47.5m + £2.5m add-ons
Clichy - £7m

4 of those 5 have proven to be excellent value for money. Only the Stones fee at over 3 times what the other 4 cost combined skews things, and to be fair he's not even played a single game for us yet! Granted, when you include the fees for Otamendi and Mangala the that puts an entirely different spin on it but of the back 5 he quoted I think we've had a very good return on what was paid for them, and that's without Stones having a chance to prove himself so far.
I meant for the money that you have spent on defenders overall.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I was hoping we would but it doesn't look like it. Zabaleta, Sagna and Clichy will all definitely be staying. Kolarov might leave but I doubt it and even if he does I imagine Angelino will take his place. I'd expect a few other players, along with Maffeo and Angelino from the youth side, might play there from time to time as well as others like Stones and Delph. Next summer I imagine we'll address the full-back position properly.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I was hoping we would but it doesn't look like it. Zabaleta, Sagna and Clichy will all definitely be staying. Kolarov might leave but I doubt it and even if he does I imagine Angelino will take his place. I'd expect a few other players, along with Maffeo and Angelino from the youth side, might play there from time to time as well as others like Stones and Delph. Next summer I imagine we'll address the full-back position properly.
I think you'll make a massive push for Bellerin at some point