John Stones | Performances

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I think you'll make a massive push for Bellerin at some point
We almost certainly want him, agreed. Will be hard to get him though, he'd cost a huge amount and Arsenal would be reluctant to sell.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He's alright but Peps style will make him look better. Which means he'll suit City perfectly so it's a good signing for them.

Similar to Pique, I'm not convinced he's anywhere near the top defenders of his generation based on defending alone but he's the key to a style of playing/tactics.
What more could Piqué do to prove himself? He's defended amazingly well at the very highest level, I don't think it's fair to suggest that he's mostly in the team for ball playing reasons, he's defended really well against big players.

Leads the Barcelona defence now too, whereas a few years ago saying he needed Puyol to keep him right was fair.

Trizy

What more could Piqué do to prove himself? He's defended amazingly well at the very highest level, I don't think it's fair to suggest that he's mostly in the team for ball playing reasons, he's defended really well against big players.

Leads the Barcelona defence now too, whereas a few years ago saying he needed Puyol to keep him right was fair.
Just never stood out for me. They've had the best squad for the majority of the past 10 years, things have been made easy for him in my opinion.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Just never stood out for me. They've had the best squad for the majority of the past 10 years, things have been made easy for him in my opinion.
Your entitled to it but I don't agree. They've had the best squad but their defence is a part of that, Piqué doesn't get to coast on the attacking threat, he can be pretty isolated at times so does well.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
To me, Pique is not a top 10 central defender and hasn't been since around 2013.
Absolutely disagree. Around 2013 (ish, maybe a bit earlier) he had a major slump but he recovered excellently in 2014 and hasn't looked back. He's at worst 4th best in the world. Don't see how anyone other than Godín, Boateng or (although I haven't seen him much...) Bonucci could be argued to be better.

VanGaalEra

I like him, he's got potential and Pep will most likely help him fulfill that potential and bring the best out of him.

Fee is irrelevant. I'd much rather they didn't sign anyone.

Libano

Absolutely disagree. Around 2013 (ish, maybe a bit earlier) he had a major slump but he recovered excellently in 2014 and hasn't looked back. He's at worst 4th best in the world. Don't see how anyone other than Godín, Boateng or (although I haven't seen him much...) Bonucci could be argued to be better.
I can see your point and I must admit that outside of international and CL matches I've seen little of him, but I'd put Chiellini, Hummels, Thiago Silva, Ramos, Laporte, Mascherano and Barzagli ahead of him as well. Somehow he's not the warrior he used to be - unfocussed, slower.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I can see your point and I must admit that outside of international and CL matches I've seen little of him, but I'd put Chiellini, Hummels, Thiago Silva, Ramos, Laporte, Mascherano and Barzagli ahead of him as well. Somehow he's not the warrior he used to be - unfocussed, slower.
He's not as quick, I think you're right there. The lack of focus was a problem at times before too, but I don't think he's suffered from that in years.

R.e your list - Piqué has outperformed Mascherano for years at Barcelona, Ramos in Spain and for Spain for years (goals aside) and Laporte isn't really as proven - he could get there though.

Haven't really seen enough of the rest to judge, maybe they are better but I'm not qualified to say. But anyway, Stones...:nervous:

Libano

He's not as quick, I think you're right there. The lack of focus was a problem at times before too, but I don't think he's suffered from that in years.

R.e your list - Piqué has outperformed Mascherano for years at Barcelona, Ramos in Spain and for Spain for years (goals aside) and Laporte isn't really as proven - he could get there though.

Haven't really seen enough of the rest to judge, maybe they are better but I'm not qualified to say. But anyway, Stones...:nervous:
A lot of it is perception, wasn't aware that Pique still performs better than Ramos. Stats don't lie :-). Stones will prove to be a good purchase, no doubt. I am hoping for him to become a fixture for England alongside Smalling. Young guys who experience their ups and downs but with insane talent.

NYC

Fernandinho Gundogan
Silva de Bruyne Sane
Aguero

That seems fine to me. Not sure how you conclude that trio is too weak to all start, the only issue I can see is it means one of de Bruyne/Silva has to play out wide when both are better in the #10 role.
Because Silva and KDB are weak.

Probably, it will be

Sane-Silva/KDB-Sterling/Nolito

Another thing to remember is that Barcelona might of been midgets, but they all won back the ball...

Libano

Because Silva and KDB are weak.

Probably, it will be

Sane-Silva/KDB-Sterling/Nolito

Another thing to remember is that Barcelona might of been midgets, but they all won back the ball...
It's called counterpressing and rest assured, this is one of the first things Pep will teach them. And no, KdB certainly isn't weak at all. Quite the opposite.

R'hllor

For skipping that ball,he should be hanged by his balls. When to comes to Stones,think that Pep will have positive influence on him,specially in ball playing department,not sure how much he will improve him when it comes to real defending.

Its weird,how it looks to me English media and their views are like Stones is some kind of alien,ball playing defender...one and only among all English players on all levels. Same treatment has Howe when it comes to managers. So they hype the hell shit of them.

Theonas

Scout
For skipping that ball,he should be hanged by his balls. When to comes to Stones,think that Pep will have positive influence on him,specially in ball playing department,not sure how much he will improve him when it comes to real defending.

Its weird,how it looks to me English media and their views are like Stones is some kind of alien,ball playing defender...one and only among all English players on all levels. Same treatment has Howe when it comes to managers. So they hype the hell shit of them.
It's amazing to me how people keep saying that as if it's a thing. The point of the game is to win and if you play in a way where you actually don't have to head, tackle or lunge because you control possession so much, why on earth would you need to do those things? Pep has already proven he can get a team that dominates so much that they rarely ever have to defend. Sure when they do, they get exposed but over a long season, the advantages of his style which demands intelligence and technique from defenders more than "real" defending far outweigh those moments. I don't know if he can instil that at City but if LvG could get us to play as far away from our box as he did last season through intelligent "ball playing" defenders like Blind who are not necessarily good at "real" defending, I wouldn't be too surprised if Pep can do it through Stones.

R'hllor

It's amazing to me how people keep saying that as if it's a thing. The point of the game is to win and if you play in a way where you actually don't have to head, tackle or lunge because you control possession so much, why on earth would you need to do those things? Pep has already proven he can get a team that dominates so much that they rarely ever have to defend. Sure when they do, they get exposed but over a long season, the advantages of his style which demands intelligence and technique from defenders more than "real" defending far outweigh those moments. I don't know if he can instil that at City but if LvG could get us to play as far away from our box as he did last season through intelligent "ball playing" defenders like Blind who are not necessarily good at "real" defending, I wouldn't be too surprised if Pep can do it through Stones.
I shouldnt use word "real",meant it more like just defending when its needed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'd much rather they got him than Laporte but he's a good player and if he can replicate the form he showed when he first broke through he'll be a great player for them. Might always have silly lapses like Rio used to but he'll be good.

Theonas

Scout
I shouldnt use word "real",meant it more like just defending when its needed.
Fair enough. My frustration is at this general notion found in the English game. I think it is because we had such a long tradition of hard tough defenders in the mould of Adams, Terry, Vidic, etc, we just can't accept a team that don't function like that. I remember after Barcelona dismantled Bayern and Juventus in 2015 for their 3 CL 6 years, Gaeme Souness was still talking about how he is not convinced by Mascherano as he's not a "proper" defender. To a much lesser extent, us last season were playing largely very high up the pitch which resulted in a very good defensive record, albeit not through the traditional way. Yet people were still clamouring "naaaah, just doesn't look proper". If a manager can successfully implement a style where you control the game to the extent Pep teams do, surely a defender that helps you control is much more useful than one who can tackle and put his head where it hurts?

NYC

It's called counterpressing and rest assured, this is one of the first things Pep will teach them. And no, KdB certainly isn't weak at all. Quite the opposite.
You mean kind of like how every team attacked KDB's side every time and scored? I would be surprised if Pep started all 3.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's mustard. Floundered under Martinez, but that's the case for any defender that's ever played under him.

Stones is better for Pep than Bailly
Bailly is better for Mourinho than Stones
This, how good or bad a player is depends a lot on the style/system he is playing in.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Never understood the fuss about him. He reminds me of a young Jonny Evans, minus the occasional bits of defending.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
A lot of it is perception, wasn't aware that Pique still performs better than Ramos. Stats don't lie :-). Stones will prove to be a good purchase, no doubt. I am hoping for him to become a fixture for England alongside Smalling. Young guys who experience their ups and downs but with insane talent.
How long do we class Smalling as young for? He'll be 27 this year! He's heading into what should be his peak years now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If Stones and Sterling are worth what has been paid for them, we got Pogba on the cheap.
But they are not, not yet anyway. Just like Pogba. Unfortunately £50m is the new £20m and £90m the new £50m. Time will tell, all 3 are young and could go either way. Pogba might never become the finished article but even if he doesn't if you guys get the current Pogba for 10 years, than its a good deal, though I see him being the best player in the world along with Neymar when he peaks. Sterling and Stones I feel have alot more developing to do, Sterling in particular looks like he has a massive potential but does he have the mentality to ever reach it and tbh I'm skeptical about him, he'll either end up being a bargain and playing for West Brom for £15-20m in 2 years time. Stones I have more faith in to have the mental strength to become the player he should but again who knows. English players in particular get built right up only to be knocked back down in such a way they never recover.

Hojoon

This should be an interesting one. On one hand, he fits what Pep looks for in a CB, but on the other hand, he's just got so much improvement to do because he was shocking last season. I don't think he'll be a roaring success, but he probably won't be a failure either.

Needham

Gone to develop with and enhance the team bossed by the best coach in the world. If he doesnt storm it now he never will.

Libano

How long do we class Smalling as young for? He'll be 27 this year! He's heading into what should be his peak years now.
he had a phenomenal first half of the season last year, often being the only in-form player in a united shirt. if he can hold that form for a whole season he will be beyond dispute. mourinho is just the kind of coach who can help him make that final step, there is nobody better in the game when it comes to defence.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
But they are not, not yet anyway. Just like Pogba. Unfortunately £50m is the new £20m and £90m the new £50m. Time will tell, all 3 are young and could go either way. Pogba might never become the finished article but even if he doesn't if you guys get the current Pogba for 10 years, than its a good deal, though I see him being the best player in the world along with Neymar when he peaks. Sterling and Stones I feel have alot more developing to do, Sterling in particular looks like he has a massive potential but does he have the mentality to ever reach it and tbh I'm skeptical about him, he'll either end up being a bargain and playing for West Brom for £15-20m in 2 years time. Stones I have more faith in to have the mental strength to become the player he should but again who knows. English players in particular get built right up only to be knocked back down in such a way they never recover.
I agree. What clubs are investing in is potential. And the current transfer prices are merely a reflection of how much money there is the League.

The Roy Keane that started out for us was not the player he became.

If players invest in themselves and take advantage of the coaching and facilities, they truly can fulfill their potential.

RetroStu

Fair do's to City and pep, they obviously see something in him that i don't. Even most Everton fans on GAT are flabbergasted by this as they thought he was poor last season.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
he had a phenomenal first half of the season last year, often being the only in-form player in a united shirt. if he can hold that form for a whole season he will be beyond dispute. mourinho is just the kind of coach who can help him make that final step, there is nobody better in the game when it comes to defence.
Didn't question his ability, he's just not a youngster anymore.

sammyvine

Fair do's to City and pep, they obviously see something in him that i don't. Even most Everton fans on GAT are flabbergasted by this as they thought he was poor last season.
Mourinho really wanted him as well

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Is Stones gonna be first choice for Pep? Asking for fantasy football purposes.