Film Joker (2019)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The SJWs and Anti-Guns critics worry more about the message and purposely giving negative reviews to the movie. Thinking this movie can inspire people towards violence...

It's out there, google it up.
Not sure that really holds up. Reading the negative reviews from the "top critics" on Rotten Tomatoes, none of the complaints have been about the message of the film or any perceived pro-gun sentiments.

AP say the controversy around it is a positive but that the film actually isn't radical or dangerous enough, complaining that it ends up being shallow. The Guardian says the worries of a copycat effect are a red herring, that engaging with the ideas it is engaging with is a good thing but that the film is shallow and tedious. The Atlantic say the film clearly isn't intended as any sort of call to arms to random psychos but is unfortunately shallow, pompous, grim and one-note. The Washington Post doesn't have any complaints about its message but does say it is shallow, derivative and lacking in insight. Finally the New Yorker dismisses the surrounding controversy as hype designed to sell a product, points out the allowances the film makes to left-wing politics but ultimately dismisses the film as too vague and calculated to have the impact more hysterical op-ed writers claim to fear.

I'm sure some negative reviews are indeed based on its politics or message but the reviews that are dragging down its RT score seem to be largely defending or (in some cases praising) that aspect of the film, instead repeatedly criticising it for being shallow, vapid and lacking real danger. One suspects the controversy around the film will be used to defend it from that sort of every-day criticism as much as it will be used to condemn it.

kps88

What's the big deal anyway? People are allowed to give a movie a bad review if they don't like its overall message. All about a personal opinion at the end of the day.

Drifter

American
They were saying this before they had even seen the film. Where were these SJW twats when John wick 3 came out.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
On second thoughts, I think my anti-Bradshaw moaning resulted from him giving movies' endings/twists away in so many reviews.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
"J*ker" does look very dumb, but "SJW" is the height of twattery.

Hephaestus

They were saying this before they had even seen the film. Where were these SJW twats when John wick 3 came out.
They mostly wouldn't care about that because John Wick doesn't have the same following amongst incels that the Joker has and that is what's causing the concern here. There are a bunch of angry people who feel that society has let them down and some of them have already resorted to violence as a result. And here is a film where the central character is an angry person who decides to start killing as a response to them believing society has let them down and the worry is that someone who already feels on the edge might be motivated to follow suit. Personally, I think it's overblown, especially given what @sullydnl has written above but I can see why it's this film that's attracted this response.

SteveJ

Scout
There are a bunch of angry people who feel that society has let them down and some of them have already resorted to violence as a result.
That kind of mindset is merely entitlement in disguise, IMO. It's justification virtually after-the-fact.

Hephaestus

That kind of mindset is merely entitlement in disguise, IMO. It's justification virtually after-the-fact.
I agree, hence me saying that they feel like society has let them down. They struggle to connect with others but rather than try to improve themselves, they lash out and blame society or blame particular groups (normally women).

ChrisNelson

It's going to be a late night for me!

Booked to see this in Derby tonight at 10.30 following a curry with work (I'm driving!), couldn't persuade anyone else so I'm flying solo but that's no problem as I've probably been the cinema on my own 30 times this year already!

Don't normally read too much in to film reviews, whether by the press or word of mouth but everything I've seen about this seems so positive in every area that I'm really excited to see it.

Castia

Currently sat in the cinema waiting to watch it....movie is running 20 minutes late due to technical difficulties:lol:

First time I’ve been to the cinema and there’s a problem.

Edit: movie started then cut off again....lights have come back on. Shambles.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
What's the big deal anyway? People are allowed to give a movie a bad review if they don't like its overall message. All about a personal opinion at the end of the day.
It's only a big deal to fully grown adults who are so invested in comic book movies that they become offended by anyone not taking their tastes seriously. For everyone else, there's plenty of middling to negative reviews, and they all make the same criticisms, specifically that it's neither as dark nor as challenging as the hype suggested.

Sweet Square

On second thoughts, I think my anti-Bradshaw moaning resulted from him giving movies' endings/twists away in so many reviews.
I guessing I will hate the movie(I'm not the biggest fan of Tax Driver, so a clown rip off is hardly going to work) but Bradshaws review was just lazy and boring.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's only a big deal to fully grown adults who are so invested in comic book movies that they become offended by anyone not taking their tastes seriously. For everyone else, there's plenty of middling to negative reviews, and they all make the same criticisms, specifically that it's neither as dark nor as challenging as the hype suggested.
Isn't that an odd thing to criticise though? I mean where is this hype coming from? Can't have a go at the film for not living up to expectations that weren't created by the people involved. How about just reviewing the film on it's own merits? How many questions can I squeeze into one post? Is five too many?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Isnt the criticism that it sort of champions a white man feeling let down by society resorts to violence?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Isnt the criticism that it sort of champions a white man feeling let down by society resorts to violence?
Kind of the jokers character though isn't that...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's not a criticism I agree with mind, just stating what I've read online. There's also the worry that people might take to the streets and turn to violence themselves. Makes you wonder, don't people have parents to teach them that you shouldn't behave like a Batman villain in real life?

I did a John Wick Marathon last weekend and I hardly gunned down 2000 odd people the day after. Even though Keanu looked cool as feck doing it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Hmmm that immediately made me think of Falling Down and whether there was a huge controversy when that got released. Turns out there was...

Contextually, Falling Down was released in theatres less than one year after the 1992 Los Angeles riots. In them, the targeting of Korean-Americans and their businesses by rioters was a point of fact. The Korean American Coalition[23] and Korean Grocers Association[24] protested the film for its treatment of minorities, especially the Korean grocer. Warner Brothers Korea canceled the release of Falling Down in South Korea following boycott threats.[25] The outcry by the Grocers Association in particular was sufficient to see Michael Douglas meet with members at Warner Brothers Studio because they "were there and they were pissed. So we had a conversation and I told them, 'Look, I'm very sorry, but there's a reason the screenwriter picked certain things to put in the film.'"[26]

Unemployed defense workers were also angered at their portrayal in the film.[23] Falling Down has been described as a definitive exploration of the notion of the "angry white male"; the character of D‑FENS was featured on magazine covers, including the March 29, 1993 issue[27] of Newsweek magazine, and reported upon as an embodiment of the stereotype.[28]

In the aftermath of the 2015 Chapel Hill shooting, the wife of perpetrator Craig Stephen Hicks[29] recounted his obsession with the film to the Associated Press: "That always freaked me out. (Craig) watched it incessantly. He thought it was hilarious. He had no compassion at all."[30]
and

In 2012, Tasha Robinson of The A.V. Club was critical of the '90s film "that most stands out for me from that era, because it's such a ham-handed, wrong-headed, self-congratulatory attempt to encapsulate its era's spirit". Robinson added "the film treats virtually everyone around him [D-FENS] as worthless, and presents his violence as the comedic payoff, turns it into a tone-deaf, self-pitying lament about the terrible persecution facing the oppressed majority in an era of political correctness and increasing multiculturalism." She finishes her short review with, "It's a profoundly hateful film disguised alternately (and erratically) as either tragedy or humor."[20] An earlier 2008 review on the site said, "Heat used as a metaphor for simmering rage is nothing new, but few films execute sweaty psychosis as well."[21]

On the 25th anniversary of the film's release, film critic April Wolfe of LA Weekly wrote that it "remains one of Hollywood's most overt yet morally complex depictions of the modern white-victimization narrative, one both adored and reviled by the extreme right". Wolfe said "Today, we might see D-Fens and the white supremacist as the infighting sides of the far right — one couches racism in coded words like "thug," while the other wants an outright ethnic cleanse. Ultimately, what both want is to return to their idea of a purer America, unburdened by the concerns of minorities and women". Wolfe suggested that Rupert Murdoch would "go on to bottle that fury and package it as patriotism" in creating Fox News.[22]

Andersons Dietician

Just finished watching it. It is a bit of a hype machine and honestly there were times I was considering just leaving the cinema as for large portions it’s a bit of a bore fest. However I’m glad I didn’t as the last 15-20mins are worth it.

Phoenix performance is annoying and stale and not much going for it other than an annoying laugh and contorting his “machinist” body in to shapes. Then there is like a 5 minute spell of good stuff at the end where all of a sudden it’s like yes here we go, if I compare it to other stand out performances I’ve seen over the years then I wouldn’t say it’s anything spectacular.

Kinda feel like this is just a movie that could be about anyone except they slapped a Joker title on it to make it more grandiose.

Eckers99

Isn't that an odd thing to criticise though? I mean where is this hype coming from? Can't have a go at the film for not living up to expectations that weren't created by the people involved. How about just reviewing the film on it's own merits? How many questions can I squeeze into one post? Is five too many?
Yeah, the negative reviews did criticise it on multiple levels, also as a self contained work, totally independent of hype etc. It's had a very mixed reception critically and the negative reviews are pretty much uniform in what didn't work.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
My friends are boring so I might go to this alone. People are saying he is arguably better than heath ledger

Castia

Just got back from watching Joker

Really enjoyed it. Great performance from Phoenix,cert for an Oscar in my opinion.

Last edited:

Castia

My friends are boring so I might go to this alone. People are saying he is arguably better than heath ledger

Completely different movie so its hard to judge. Ledger won the Oscar and I think Phoenix will too for what thats worth.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Really don't get the hype for this. Some things were great, Phoenix was amazing at times and others seemed to be channelling Gary Oldman in Leon. It didn't seem to want to go anywhere for a big chunk of the middle but picked up towards the end. A solid 7 probably.

RedDevilRoshi

Looking forward to seeing the new Joker film.

People are raving about it online, especially Joaquin Phoenix’s “Oscar worthy” performance. He’s getting huge amounts of praise from both fans and critics. I thought we would never get a better actor to play the Joker than the legendary Heath Ledger, after his performance as the Joker in the Dark Knight (one of the greatest performances in film history), so I’m now very intrigued to see this even more now.

SteveJ

Scout
I haven't seen Heath's performance - can anyone explain to me why it's considered to be so good, please?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Was supposed to be watching this film right now, until my OH decided she was too sick for us to go to the cinema and I had to cancel the bookings. She's out cold right now, to be fair, so she wasn't lying, but this is where coupling is annoying as I'd have gladly gone on my own, but then I'm seen as a right cnut for doing so, and get a sick woman stropping over the weekend.

Eckers99

I haven't seen Heath's performance - can anyone explain to me why it's considered to be so good, please?
He was the first joker to seem genuinely unhinged, in a dangerous way. An agent of chaos. And Ledger fully committed without ever being overly theatrical or cheesy. He was mesmeric.

Irwin99

I'm not into super hero movies at all but even I went to see that film to see if he lived up to the hype of that performance and he did. Was mesmeric.

Then I went and saw the sequel :yawn:

El-Manos

He stole the show. Every scene with him was iconic. However the brilliance of it was that he had no real motive for any of his actions. Extremely unpredictable, just trying to sow chaos for chaos' sake. The screenwriting was perfect. Even batman didn’t get it :lol:

Zoo

I also don’t understand the hype for this. It’s decent if you have a couple of hours to kill but 10/10? No way.

Oldyella

Personally, Joker should never even have a back story or try and see why he is how he is. He's just nuts, and thats all he ever should be.

Will watch it as Joaquin is normally worth a watch, but it does feel like a movie that didnt need to be made.

Jericholyte2

Just finished watching it. It is a bit of a hype machine and honestly there were times I was considering just leaving the cinema as for large portions it’s a bit of a bore fest. However I’m glad I didn’t as the last 15-20mins are worth it.

Phoenix performance is annoying and stale and not much going for it other than an annoying laugh and contorting his “machinist” body in to shapes. Then there is like a 5 minute spell of good stuff at the end where all of a sudden it’s like yes here we go, if I compare it to other stand out performances I’ve seen over the years then I wouldn’t say it’s anything spectacular.

Kinda feel like this is just a movie that could be about anyone except they slapped a Joker title on it to make it more grandiose.
This I just don’t get. I know everything is subjective but I was captivated by him from the get go. And the incidents with his laugh (gonna put this in spoilers although not technically spoiling anything as describing performance not the scenes) when

in all instances of his laugh causing trouble, you can see him straining to stop himself from laughing. The mixture of embarrassment and almost vomiting, pleading with himself not to carry on was heartbreaking.

Whilst I do think the film was a bit scattergun with its messages about mental health, apathetic society and media, Phoenix's performance was mesmerising and has to be a cert for the Oscar.

binary bot
I thought Pheonix was great but the movie overall was nothing spectacular. Enjoyed the visuals with the stairs & the dancing.

I'm just glad that
the scenes with the neighbour were hallucinations in the end. the idea was so ridiculous that it was ruining it halfway through

7/10