Jonny Evans | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

I don't understand all this talk about him needing to go through some dramatic physical and/or mental transformation to become a decent central defender. He's already proved he has what it takes and his poor form isn't because he's suddenly "bulked down". He's just not playing very well. Which happens. The short memories on here never cease to amaze. It's almost as though the dozens of top class PL performances Evans has already put in for United and Sunderland never happened and we're discussing some kid who might or might not cope with the step up from the reserves.

All he needs is a run of games to regain his confidence and form. Hopefully he'll get those games in the domestic cup competitions, so he's ready to step up if needed in the bigger games at the end of the season.
Don't get me wrong Pogue, I do think he has the potential to be a very good defender.
But he gets thrown around a bit too much at times and loses too many headers. I think there's still a big room for improvement as far as his physiques is concerned.

But as you claimed the biggest problem at the moment is his confidence and I don't think yesterday's game did him any good.

Rooney1987

I don't understand all this talk about him needing to go through some dramatic physical and/or mental transformation to become a decent central defender. He's already proved he has what it takes and his poor form isn't because he's suddenly "bulked down". He's just not playing very well. Which happens. The short memories on here never cease to amaze. It's almost as though the dozens of top class PL performances Evans has already put in for United and Sunderland never happened and we're discussing some kid who might or might not cope with the step up from the reserves.

All he needs is a run of games to regain his confidence and form. Hopefully he'll get those games in the domestic cup competitions, so he's ready to step up if needed in the bigger games at the end of the season.
Its amazing isnt it. People saying he could be a very good defender not could be he is very good he is just short of confidence. After the last 3 year all his great performances in big international games, high pressure PL games and knock out Champions leagues games know hes average.

Dyslexic Untied

Adding a bit of muscle or grit to win more challenges, aerial ones as well, was always something people have wanted of him.

I've said it myself several times, when he was playing well also. He has, IMO, always lost too many headers. Now more often than not the header is lost in an area which isn't dangerous, so goals don't usually come as a direct consequence of it. But losing headers will keep pressure on us, instead of turning pressure around. That's one of the beauties of Vidic. When we are playing a team with a big striker, and we are pushing for a goal, then they will hoof the ball up, hoping their Carew, Elmander or Drogba will get a hold of it, and keep it there so that the team can move up.

Vidics denies them that, and in doing so he keeps United high in the field, still pushing for the goal. He will dominate almost every striker in the air, everytime. Evans hasn't been able to do that yet. In my opinion he struggles too often in the air. And not only against the Carews and Drogbas, but against an Anelka or Saha or other semigood headers as well. I don't think that has changed any now, but now his confidence, positioning etc is lacking as well. Something that wasn't lacking before.

Enigma_87

You know who
Evans is player that relies in his confidence. When he's low on that he gets patchy. Which is perfectly understandable as he's too young for a CB to be judged on.

He'll grow into it and become a better player. It's not like he has not proved he has what it takes to be playing at the highest level. His biggest problem is the lack of pace. A pacy defender could get away sometimes with bad positioning and decision making, but when he's a tad slow he is much more reliant on his concentration on the football pitch.

When that is lacking he gets found out.

Still he has time ahead of him and will become a better player. Saying Smalling is better than him after playing handful of matches is just silly. After the first bad patch and he would be crappier than Paul McShane.

MacMUFC

Evans I have so much faith in you, but goodness gracious me.

lysglimt

Scout
I have lost faith in Evans as well - he is so bad it hurts to look at. He is being turned inside out by useless players

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Seems to have completely lost it at the moment. Hope he sorts himself out soon.

Chabon

He won't be playing for the club for awhile after this, shame, but he's nobody to blame but himself.

Man-United

Worst performance I've seen from a United player in years, he seem to not even care, feck sake.

Wes Brown should ask Fergie why the hell he's not playing when Evans is.

mu77

my mate said he'd get done by cole today. well he was right. he may have been pushed on the weekend but that's part and parcel of the position. you give some you get some. he's not tuned into his position at this moment.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
People are forgetting Evans was so good last year we hardly missed Rio.

He's just going through a crisis of confidence.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
In retrospect Vidic should have started with Smalling. Evans managed to feck up when we were 7-0 up against Blackburn. :mad:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Can't defend to save his life. I'd prefer not to see him in the squad again for the rest of the season. Since the second half of last season, he hasn't been up to playing. I'm not sure how we can put him on since we give up goals whenever he's on.

wr8_utd

:'(
It might be knee jerk but honestly I rather we play Brown, Oshea, Smalling or even bloody Carrick at centre back rather than him this season. Not been critical of him at all but today's been one of the most woeful performances I've seen from any centre back.

MacMUFC

I dont care what anyone says, i'm still 100% convinced he'll be a Manchester United reguarl defender in the future. Ferdinand was the same at that age and he turned out ok.

Brophs

The One and Only
Can't defend to save his life. I'd prefer not to see him in the squad again for the rest of the season. Since last season, he hasn't been up to playing.
It's December, ffs. What would putting him in the stiffs for half a season achieve?

All young players have these slumps. He'll be fine with a bit of hard work once the club help build back up his confidence.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't understand how this guy went to the San Siro and played so well against Inter, played againt Drogba on 2-3 occassions and kept him quiet and was so solid against Stoke a few seasons back, yet has dished up rubbish all this season.

Has been a fecking disgrace all season, his positional play has been exposed today but his lack of strength against the likes of Cahill & Zamora has been most worrying. After today's perfromance he is definitely behind Smalling and might be behind Wes as well in the pecking order.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He is looking worryingly shit. But best thing would be to give him another game ASAP rather than dumping him for weeks. Valencia at home might be a good one along side Vidic.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I dont care what anyone says, i'm still 100% convinced he'll be a Manchester United reguarl defender in the future. Ferdinand was the same at that age and he turned out ok.
Yeah like you know how Ferdinand did ten seasons ago.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It's December, ffs. What would putting him in the stiffs for half a season achieve?

All young players have these slumps. He'll be fine with a bit of hard work once the club help build back up his confidence.
I can't justify playing him over Rio, Vidic, Smalling, Brown, or O'Shea at CB. If his slump hadn't lasted so long or didn't always end up with us giving away goals, I'd be happy for him to play, but he hasn't given any reason for Fergie to play him.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
My concern is that a lot of the mistakes are actually just in the basics of the game. All young defenders make mistakes, but my worry is that this season he has seemed very out of touch in some very simple situations - and it's been in a lot of games now. He's clearly good enough as a footballer, but he needs to work on his sharpness both on the ground and in the air.

Form-wise, he definitely needs a jolt.

VoetbalWizard

like feck he was. the same how? dropping a bollock now and then, yes.

but ferdinand had lightyears more pace, agility, and technique. He had tons more attributes in his tool box to fall back on compared to evans. That said, evans will be fine..he's be a united stalwart a la wes brown.

dicko

People are forgetting Evans was so good last year we hardly missed Rio.

He's just going through a crisis of confidence.
When he's bad he can be shocking. I suspect he needs toughening up mentally. Hopefully Fergie can do something because he has the makings of a top player.

Rahul

Needs to be given a run in the reserves before he's let out into the first team again. Shocking performance. Needs to get some confidence back.

Status
Not open for further replies.