Jonny Evans | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMUFC

Erm, no he wasn't.
like feck he was. the same how? dropping a bollock now and then, yes.

but ferdinand had lightyears more pace, agility, and technique. He had tons more attributes in his tool box to fall back on compared to evans. That said, evans will be fine..he's be a united stalwart a la wes brown.
I was referring to mistakes/lack of concentration, not ability.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Smalling has matured quicker than Evans and has more confidence on the ball. Evans has not even scored for us even though this is his third season playing for the first team. Smalling has scored two already playing 5 months in the first team.

Dyslexic Untied

Is playing like an off-form Carrick in central defence at the moment.

Probably confidence related, but what we should always ask of all our players, regardless of form is that they get stuck in. He has been too light in way too many challenges all season long. Needs the kick up the ass from Ferguson I think.

He has already proven himself though, and we all know what he is capable of on form.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Smalling has matured quicker than Evans and has more confidence on the ball. Evans has not even scored for us even though this is his third season playing for the first team. Smalling has scored two already playing 5 months in the first team.
Why are you counting Smallings pre season goal but then not countings Evans against Ireland XI?

Anyway young defender has dip in form shock horror.

To be fair I'm probably not as distraught at this defeat as I should be.

Ekeke

He looked a very good prospect next to Rio and Vida. But on form these are two of the very best CBs in the world capable of walking their partner through most kinds of matches. Next to anyone else he's not looked even half as good. I think its fair to mention Smalling hasnt looked quite as good when not paired with our top CBs too, but he's still looked good. Not completely and utterly useless.

TheReligion

Abusive
Evans is terrible at the moment, absolutely dire. He just can't handle any kind of physical battle which is very worrying for a centre half.

At the moment, Smalling is miles ahead.

That was a terrible defensive display. He needs to go back to basics. Something is clearly missing with his game at the moment and it's costing us. I'm sure he will find his way back to form with more time and patience though.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Fergie was pissed and rightly so.

Let's put things into context here - that is the first game in 8 years in which CARLTON PISSING COLE has scored 2 goals in a game.If you can't handle Carlton Cole you have problems not just as a Manchester United player but as a defender in general. Absolutely shocking.

Devil may care

Tricky one for Fergie, Evans looks lost out there right now, I mean the errors he is making are basic fundamentals of defending, I think maybe a few reserve games may be in order.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I dont care what anyone says, i'm still 100% convinced he'll be a Manchester United reguarl defender in the future. Ferdinand was the same at that age and he turned out ok.
Rio was accident prone - as in an accident every few games. That's not what Evans is going through.

If we're lucky he's going through some kind of growing pains - mentally or physically - and he's not our current third best centre back. No one will begrudge him some more growing up time, if that's all he needs.

Otherwise, he'll be playing for another club next year.

Mainoldo

Cost us a goal Against Blackburn when he came on and two today :lol:. Have we kept a clean sheet with him in the team this season??

TheReligion

Abusive
Cost us a goal Against Blackburn when he came on and two today :lol:. Have we kept a clean sheet with him in the team this season??
He has been at fault on numerous occasions for nearly all the same type of thing. Being too indecisive and physically weak.

acnumber9

Poor performances are one thing but his sheer lack of effort for Cole's goals was a disgrace. Hopefully getting dragged off will make him wise up.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Call a spade a spade he was only partially at fault for the 4th goal. Rafael was easily beat on the right for the cross that eventually led to the goal.

The lambasting Evans is getting on here really is boarding on pathetic.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
the biggest thing that worries me is a certain pattern- he doesn't know how to defend crosses. when the ball arrives he neither marks his man nor jumps to head it out. he does nothing to prevent a striker from scoring.

Everton game, Blackburn and tonite's game can serve as an example

honcho

he looks weak and his body does not look as thou its developed over the last 12 months,physically needs to srengthen up,Will not make the grade with us after looking a certainty 18 months ago.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I hope Evans does not read this forum. The amount of battering he is receiving here will want him to leave football all together.

TheReligion

Abusive
the biggest thing that worries me is a certain pattern- he doesn't know how to defend crosses. when the ball arrives he neither marks his man nor jumps to head it out. he does nothing to prevent a striker from scoring.

Add Fulham to his errors list..

And Bolton..

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Thats what I noticed to. He's unable to just jump and head away. He always wants just to block the player, the same with back passes.

He needs to get back in form, maybe a loan or a spell in the reserves would do wonders

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
he looks weak and his body does not look as thou its developed over the last 12 months,physically needs to srengthen up,Will not make the grade with us after looking a certainty 18 months ago.
He's 22. Its far too early to say. How about we wait to see how he recovers from this rather than writing players off as soon as they hit a poor run of form in their career

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
I hope Evans does not read this forum. The amount of battering he is receiving here will want him to leave football all together.
Don't be so dramatic.

he's a professional footballer and as such should expect such stick.

However saying that I have concerns over his mental toughness and ability to get out of this slump mentally.

Mainoldo

Well if he's that mentally weak maybe he should. His been crap but i'm sure he's well aware question is will he do something about it. We are all with in our right to discuss bad perfomances aswell as the good.

honcho

remember when n.ireland played spain in the qualifiers about 18/24 months ago,he never give torres a kick in both games.Looked a real prospect then.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's 22. Its far too early to say. How about we wait to see how he recovers from this rather than writing players off as soon as they hit a poor run of form in their career
You have to agree it is a huge worry. Look at Pique for instance and where his career is now. Evans is not going down the shitter, he is already down it.

He has been in this type of form for about 8 months now, maybe more.

MalteseRedDevil

its amazing how his form has gone completely out the window this year. This is the same guy who nullified drogba more than once in the past. Surely the club must support him until he regains his true form.

The prob is that its hard to c how this is gonna happen. his confidence is shot and im not sure how hes gonna get it back. After this performance he may not even play agianst valencia and then god knows when he will play after that. Only injuries to the main duo could open the door but sureley brown and maybe smalling have moved ahead of him know.

honcho

I wonder if the signing of smalling has pissed him off.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
You have to agree it is a huge worry. Look at Pique for instance and where his career is now. Evans is not going down the shitter, he is already down it.

He has been in this type of form for about 8 months now, maybe more.
I agree'd with you that it is a worry, but not a major one at his age. Damm, i wish these 2 threads were merged :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree'd with you that it is a worry, but not a major one at his age. Damm, i wish these 2 threads were merged :lol:
This is where we disagree, I think it has become a major worry now.

The things he keeps getting wrong are really unforgivable for a centre half. He should be learning and improving from the likes of Rio and Vidic but he has gone the opposite way.

acnumber9

remember when n.ireland played spain in the qualifiers about 18/24 months ago,he never give torres a kick in both games.Looked a real prospect then.
Evans plays left back for Northern Ireland so it was more likely Craigan or Hughes who didn't give Torres a kick.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
This is where we disagree, I think it has become a major worry now.

The things he keeps getting wrong are really unforgivable for a centre half. He should be learning and improving from the likes of Rio and Vidic but he has gone the opposite way.
He's nowhere near as good as some other young centre halfs around his age in the PL. I thought Smalling played quite well. Evans just looked unsure, slow and clueless. Poorest I've seen a United centre half for many years.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He is fecking crap. Cant deal with tall strikers, cant deal with pacy strikers, cant deal with off the ball movement, cant run with the ball, cant pass. Overrated on here by way to many people. Had he played for anyone but us we'd be pissing ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.