Jonny Evans | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmufc

He's 22. Young and learning. He's already proven his quality against the likes of Zlatan and Drogba.

With that said, this slump is extremely worrying, as some of the errors he's making are very basic. I still think he'll go on to be a class defender, but it's also fair to raise some questions. He needs to get over this slump quickly. Lacks confidence in his own ability at the moment.

Crustanoid

I hope Evans does not read this forum. The amount of battering he is receiving here will want him to leave football all together.
Yeah, I think if he read these posts he'd be pretty gutted

Johnny Evans you piece of shit. Has been shit all season. Worthless piece of crap.
We are talking about Evans being the fecking future of our defense. He is a worthless piece of shit. feck off Evans! :mad:

Cold_Boy

I think the thing with Evans is that he needs to be out of the first team for some while.

He ll turn out a sqaud player for us for sure.Maybe a first teamer if he improves significantly.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Which is the knee jerk, evans being world class or evans being shit flop?

Last season he was hailed as the next Rio, and now he was hailed as 5th in the pecking order.

Surely one of the above is a knee jerk, should we poll on that?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was shit, one of the worst defensive performances from a United player I've seen in a while.I just don't understand how his marking can be so loose when Cole isn't even the most mobile striker.
Joke of defending last night.I used to laugh when people were labelling him the best young defender and now that he's been shit for a while I tried to give the benefit of doubt

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Which is the knee jerk, evans being world class or evans being shit flop?

Last season he was hailed as the next Rio, and now he was hailed as 5th in the pecking order.

Surely one of the above is a knee jerk, should we poll on that?
No one can be hailed 5th. He is dead last now.

reelworld

Geez, it's the fecking Carling Cup. The way I see it, less game for us so we could focused on more important achievement. Do you honestly think that Evans would go being awesome for United every single season?

Honestly, the comments here is like we never had young players having a bad patch of form. He's a very very good player like he showed us last season, and he's only 22. The only way from here is up.

kouroux

Geez, it's the fecking Carling Cup. The way I see it, less game for us so we could focused on more important achievement. Do you honestly think that Evans would go being awesome for United every single season?

Honestly, the comments here is like we never had young players having a bad patch of form. He's a very very good player like he showed us last season, and he's only 22. The only way from here is up.
Not necessarily as he keeps showing us

Kelvin

he wasn't even that good last season either, some people here are over-rating him. He was outmuscled by Samba on the weekend, Cole an out of form striker p1ssed all over him today, cleary shot in confidence but he hasn't got the physical edge to compete with the more powerful strikers.

he needs to get his **** together or he will find himself being shown the door.

kouroux

I love it when I hear "it's just the CC".For all the players and specially the younger ones it was an important match.Some of them need minutes to show their value and when they have a terrible performance it will affect them one way or the other.
So no it's not just a meaningless match

puNANI

He will be fine. How many times have we doubted young players in the past and eaten our words in the future? The harsh criticism is undeserved because he has already proven himself as a very good defender in the two years before this season. It's just a form slump, which every single player has in their career including world class ones like Wayne Rooney. It's ok to question his form because he is out of it, but calling him shit is just a knee-jerk.

reelworld

Not necessarily as he keeps showing us
He wasn't first choice. His games has been sparsely this season apart from the time Rio was out at the start of the season. He played about 7 games and probably shit in half of them. Shocking horror! 3-4 shit games from a third choice 22 years old centerback

kouroux

Wasn't that defender supposed to be "the best young CB in the world" ?
Last season he wasn't that good either.I can understand having bad games but the mistakes he makes are worrying.We're talking about the fundamentals of defending.
Hopefully he'll cut them out

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Well, I mean at Rangers he did okay but they only played K.Miller as their lone striker so he didn't have much to do.

But honestly, that was one of the worst performances that I have ever seen him play, was raped by C.Cole, got turned easily and never marked his man properly.

Where was that elegent CB which read the game so well and nullified Drogba or that CB which played so well with the absence of Rio ?

But hey, the pitch + snow made the game so hard also and a top form Obinna + Boa Morte raped our fullbacks easily too which didn't help his job...

Apart from Smalling which was also off form, I thought our defense was total shite and we deserved to be raped no matter what people say.

reelworld

he wasn't even that good last season either, some people here are over-rating him. He was outmuscled by Samba on the weekend, Cole an out of form striker p1ssed all over him today, cleary shot in confidence but he hasn't got the physical edge to compete with the more powerful strikers.

he needs to get his **** together or he will find himself being shown the door.
Eh? He was part of a record clean sheet defence, so I'd say he was pretty good for a young player. He clearly can overcome powerful strikers as he had managed against one of them in Drogba. Sure some people were overrating him then, but some people are also underrating him now. As we learn from Berbatov situation, raised confidence would do a player a hell lot of good.

talking robot

As you move backwards from striker towards goal keeper, experience becomes more and more important. At 22, I don't think Evans is experienced enough to be putting in regular top class performances. e has shown his class in the past and will hopefully come through this poor spell.

However, he does need to show some mental strength to re-examine his motivation, positioning and physique so that he can improve in the areas required. If he is not able to do this, then he will be shipped on. But he will be given the chance to improve. Whether or not he takes that chance is up to him.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I refuse to accept that 08/09 and most of 09/10 was just an adrenaline rush and he's really not much cop.

He's shown himself to be a good defender. He just needs to get his head sorted - you could see their third goal coming about ten seconds before it went in (and I was shouting at the TV like a mad man "Who the feck is picking up Cole!" for the whole ten seconds before the goal)

Fergies Formula

I've never rated him, the only times he has looked reasonable is when he was surrounded by our best players over a year ago when we peaked. The hype over him was ridiculous and unfounded.

Also his passing game is comical, as are his feeble one legs stamps to swipe the ball.

Ekeke

Wasn't that defender supposed to be "the best young CB in the world" ?
Last season he wasn't that good either.I can understand having bad games but the mistakes he makes are worrying.We're talking about the fundamentals of defending.
Hopefully he'll cut them out
Its very worrying, because straight up defending is his strong point and everything else is a weak point. When he cant even do a decent job defending... Spells trouble.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He looked a very good prospect next to Rio and Vida. But on form these are two of the very best CBs in the world capable of walking their partner through most kinds of matches. Next to anyone else he's not looked even half as good. I think its fair to mention Smalling hasnt looked quite as good when not paired with our top CBs too, but he's still looked good. Not completely and utterly useless.
I've never rated him, the only times he has looked reasonable is when he was surrounded by our best players over a year ago when we peaked. The hype over him was ridiculous and unfounded.
He was also fantastic at Sunderland. To the point where most of the fans on their forum wanted them to break their transfer record to try to keep a hold of him. Some (although on the minority) were even saying they should offer him captaincy because of how well he marshalled their defence.

He generally out-performed Pique in the reserves when they played together, and then did better in their early matches in the first team.

All in all, he was brilliant up until January this year, consistently performing far ahead of almost any other central defender around his age. No doubting he's been average to shit in the time since, but let's not forget everything that came before.

I think Fergie will just take him completely out of the firing line for a while. I'll be somewhat surprised if we see him again in the first team (barring a lot of injuries) before February, it's time just to take him out and give him time to get his head right.

Ekeke

I used to watch him at Sunderland and while he played fantastically for a young defender, he still made plenty of mistakes. Mistakes which were much less of an occurance next to Rio and Vida and why he was rated so highly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I used to watch him at Sunderland and while he played fantastically for a young defender, he still made plenty of mistakes. Mistakes which were much less of an occurance next to Rio and Vida and why he was rated so highly.
That's just such typical Ekeke logic.

You've made up your mind that his inadequacies have been glossed over by playing alongside Rio and Vidic, so when it's pointed out what a huge hit he was at Sunderland you decide that actually he was making loads of mistakes for them too that were somehow obvious to your expert eye but too subtle for the average Mackem to pick up on.

Horseshit, from start to finish. Any sane person would admit that it's a fair point he played well at Sunderland without Vida and Rio so yes, you might be wrong about Evans needing to be carried but not you, oh no...

Ekeke

That's just such typical Ekeke logic.

You've made up your mind that his inadequacies have been glossed over by playing alongside Rio and Vidic, so when it's pointed out what a huge hit he was at Sunderland you decide that actually he was making loads of mistakes for them too that were somehow obvious to your expert eye but too subtle for the average Mackem to pick up on.

Horseshit, from start to finish. Any sane person would admit that it's a fair point he played well at Sunderland without Vida and Rio so yes, you might be wrong about Evans needing to be carried but not you, oh no...
Typical Pogue Mahone assumptions. I remember posting about a couple of his mistakes I watched him make at Sunderland. I may even recall one right now where he dived in for a challenge against Chelsea, didnt get the ball and the space was exploited behind him leading to a goal.

There's a difference between playing well for the likes of Sunderland in front of those Mackems and playing well without first choice defenders at United.

Something you'll talk about with Foster at Watford but somehow this is different. Because its not Foster, its Evans.

As I said, he did play really well for a young defender but the mistakes were still there. There's no need to try and rewrite history to make our players sound better but some feel the need.

A young defender can play brilliantly at the likes of Sunderland even though he's made mistakes. Evans himself proved that

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Of course he made some mistakes at Sunderland. He was what, 19 when he went there. Name one central defender that didn't make mistakes at that age.

But they weren't regular mistakes, just the same as he wasn't making regular mistakes for the first 18 months after coming back here. Overall in all that time he was performing brilliantly considering his age and the amount of high-pressure matches he was playing against some of the best attackers in the world. It's only since around January that his performances have dropped off significantly.

Ekeke

Of course he made some mistakes at Sunderland. He was what, 19 when he went there. Name one central defender that didn't make mistakes at that age.

But they weren't regular mistakes, just the same as he wasn't making regular mistakes for the first 18 months after coming back here. Overall in all that time he was performing brilliantly considering his age and the amount of high-pressure matches he was playing against some of the best attackers in the world. It's only since around January that his performances have dropped off significantly.
As I said, he was fantastic for a young defender. Fantastic, brilliant, whatever word you want to use. Just not perfect.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
There's a difference between playing well for the likes of Sunderland in front of those Mackems and playing well without first choice defenders at United.
Yes there is a difference - it's generally much harder playing in defence for Sunderland than for United. The exception is being exposed to more high pressure games - which Jonny has generally excelled at for United.

As I said, he did play really well for a young defender but the mistakes were still there. There's no need to try and rewrite history to make our players sound better but some feel the need.
I know loads of Sunderland fans and they all thought he was an absolute god. 'The mistakes are there' for any footballer, in any side.

Ekeke

Yes there is a difference - it's generally much harder playing in defence for Sunderland than for United. The exception is being exposed to more high pressure games - which Jonny has generally excelled at for United.

I know loads of Sunderland fans and they all thought he was an absolute god. 'The mistakes are there' for any footballer, in any side.
Same with Foster and Watford fans. But he struggled in a team where we didnt have all our first choice defenders

When you're a young player out on loan a lot of your mistakes are swept under the carpet because not everyone is watching you. Thats what happened with Evans. Had he have made his mistakes in the first team at United he'd have had threads questioning his ability even then, as do most our young players when they make a mistake for the first team

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Same with Foster and Watford fans. But he struggled in a team where we didnt have all our first choice defenders

When you're a young player out on loan a lot of your mistakes are swept under the carpet because not everyone is watching you. Thats what happened with Evans. Had he have made his mistakes in the first team at United he'd have had threads questioning his ability even then, as do most our young players when they make a mistake for the first team
That couldn't be further from the truth. Loan players get a level of scrutiny and criticism that far exceeds that which is aimed at their own players. The fans can't wait to slag off a player who isn't even theirs to begin with.

Which is why those exact same Mackems were so quick to get on Welbeck's case earlier this season. If a player becomes a big hit while out on loan you can be absolutely certain they've been playing very well indeed.

Ekeke

That couldn't be further from the truth. Loan players get a level of scrutiny criticism that far exceeds that which is aimed at their own players. Which is why those exact same Mackems were so quick to get on Welbeck's case earlier this season.
Should have been more specific. I meant they get swept under the carpet on here by our fans. Yeah other clubs tend to take a while to warm to them. But at the same time the clubs we tend to send players to arent used to particularly good players. So once they decide they are good, they can also go a bit over the top. "...for England!" etc

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header

He just made very few mistakes at Sunderland, is all. He was Rio-like. However, that is an interesting example of the very peculiar English 'double perfect' conditional construction, so your post wasn't entirely without interest ;)

Ekeke

He just made very few mistakes at Sunderland, is all. He was Rio-like. However, that is an interesting example of the very peculiar English 'double perfect' conditional construction, so your post wasn't entirely without interest ;)
Alright, if he was Rio-like how do you want to explain his lack of on the ball skill? Something Rio is know for. He was nothing like Rio and hasnt become any closer.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think Fergie will just take him completely out of the firing line for a while. I'll be somewhat surprised if we see him again in the first team (barring a lot of injuries) before February, it's time just to take him out and give him time to get his head right.
I doubt he will out till February. That is a long time. The lad is lacking in confidence. That is why the match against West Ham was important. If we had won, there is a possibility we could had a weak team next. So we could have played him again and he MIGHT have done better.

FA Cup is important for us now. We need to beat Liverpool and there is bound to be at least one easy match for us. He needs to play against weaker teams to gain his confidence back up.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Alright, if he was Rio-like how do you want to explain his lack of on the ball skill? Something Rio is know for. He was nothing like Rio and hasnt become any closer.
He mightnt have been quite as smooth as Rio was on the ball but he was still a very cool and composed player on the ball, and especially for one so young. That was really the most notable thing about his first couple of seasons. There was none of this dwelling on the ball and aimless hoofing that we're seeing at the minute.

Ekeke

He mightnt have been quite as smooth as Rio was on the ball but he was still a very cool and composed player on the ball, and especially for one so young. That was really the most notable thing about his first couple of seasons. There was none of this dwelling on the ball and aimless hoofing that we're seeing at the minute.
Well I disagree. The first thing I noticed about him was his positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.