Jonny Evans | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

M160RA

Great to see him playing like we expect him to. Good performance overall. Was surprised to see him taken off - was that tactical, or was he carrying a knock?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Proof if needed that Smalling's actually not ahead of Evans?
Smalling is just a different player to Evans. If we want to rest Rio then Smalling will play. If we want to rest/replace Vidic then Evans will play. I'd say they are both tied for 3rd choice CB.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Very good performance from him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Very good game from him. Unlucky not to score.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very good performance, but his troubles this season have been against physical/stronger strikers and Torres is not that type of player. But hopefully this gives him the confidence to finish the season strongly.

onesaf

Thought he played very well today, strong at the back, couple of good forward runs, very unlucky not to score on the stroke of halftime with a powerfull header. Should do his confidence good.

Anduin

I think he still needs Vidic/Ferdinand beside him to be really good, he's not a leader yet to command a defence on his own. Considering he's only just turned 23 there is nothing really to worry about.
Very encouraging performance today, had Torres in his pocket.

Widnes

Not sure why he was subbed unless he was injured, hate fecking around with the defence late in games with only a goal in it.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Smalling is just a different player to Evans. If we want to rest Rio then Smalling will play. If we want to rest/replace Vidic then Evans will play. I'd say they are both tied for 3rd choice CB.
So Evans is more like Vidic than Smalling? Or vice-versa? I'm not so sure about that. Evans' reading of the game is his biggest strength and likewise with Rio, likewise with aerial strength for Vidic/Smalling. And Vidic's biggest strength is Evans' biggest weakness.

They're obviously differing stylistically but I'm not sure it's very clear-cut who's more like who, so if anything I think it'll generally come down to who's the better individual defender (because Rio and Vidic are adaptable enough to play with either) or more suited to that game, and it's a pretty simple decision to play Evans in the big games given his record in them and Smalling's inexperience.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Brilliant on the ground but struggled in the air once again.

acnumber9

Much improve performance from Evans today. Hopefully that spell out had done him some good. Needs to bulk up a little though. Easily out muscled a few times today.

Legendz

On his last clearance just before coming off he turned away and walked away a bit. Looked like he might have been injured.

Chabon

That was a vintage Evans performance. Comfortable against a big name, a handful of stand out moments, and a niggling injury.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
So Evans is more like Vidic than Smalling? Or vice-versa? I'm not so sure about that. Evans' reading of the game is his biggest strength and likewise with Rio, likewise with aerial strength for Vidic/Smalling. And Vidic's biggest strength is Evans' biggest weakness.

They're obviously differing stylistically but I'm not sure it's very clear-cut who's more like who, so if anything I think it'll generally come down to who's the better individual defender (because Rio and Vidic are adaptable enough to play with either) or more suited to that game, and it's a pretty simple decision to play Evans in the big games given his record in them and Smalling's inexperience.
Smalling is more like Rio IMO. Very comfortable on the ball. I agree about Vidic vs Evans in that they aren't similar. But I think Vidic's reading of the game is underrated because he is perceived as quite an aggressive player.

Smalling has done well in most games he's played in. I wouldn't have any qualms about putting him in a big match at all. He's showing great maturity. I still think Evans and Smalling are tied as 3rd choice CB and it just depends on who the opposition forwards are that would determine who'd start.

Great thing is we have a huge variety in our choice of CBs.

Jiggs'Hamstring

I thought he was exceptional, showed a comfort on the ball that suggests his confidence is high again. One game on the road back to being one of the most highly-rated young defenders in Europe. A blip's a blip

MacMUFC

Smalling is more like Rio IMO. Very comfortable on the ball. I agree about Vidic vs Evans in that they aren't similar. But I think Vidic's reading of the game is underrated because he is perceived as quite an aggressive player.

Smalling has done well in most games he's played in. I wouldn't have any qualms about putting him in a big match at all. He's showing great maturity. I still think Evans and Smalling are tied as 3rd choice CB and it just depends on who the opposition forwards are that would determine who'd start.

Great thing is we have a huge variety in our choice of CBs.
For me, Evans is more like Rio and Smalling is more like Vidic. However, every single one of them are completely different defenders, so its difficult to compare. Smalling is aerially dominant ala Vidic, which is their biggest strengths, but arguably shows more composure similar to Rio that will only improve. Because its so impressive for his age, its highlighted more than his aerial dominance.

Evans' reading of the game is excellent and his distribution gets too much criticism, too. It will improve with experience and on occasions has proven to be very good.

I dont think Vidic's reading of the game is underrated at all, I think people accept its very good, but its not exceptional if thats what you're getting at.

He was excellent. He looked back to his best. We know he is a very good reader of the game and today he anticipated danger well and nullified it at the source. It turned out to be quite a comfortable game for him. If he's truly back on track again, I hope he builds on this performance.

wr8_utd

:'(
I was very nervous about him playing today and that early header he lost to Torres made it worse but I'll take my words back. He was very good today. Don't know why he was taken off. Good to see him back to his old form.

TheReligion

Abusive
I have been critical of Evans on several occasions this season and rightly so. The performance of his against West Ham was disgraceful for someone of his capability.

What I can do though is delight in the fact he appears to be playing with his head up again and putting in a shift.

Good display today, build on that Johnny and you will push on at United yet again.

Kelvin

very unlucky with that header right at the end first-half, solid game for us defensively.

Sam

I thought he was pretty flawless tbh. Really don't remember him putting a foot wrong all game. Was unlucky not to score aswell. Good to have you back Jonny.

Status
Not open for further replies.