Jonny Evans | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He mightnt have been quite as smooth as Rio was on the ball but he was still a very cool and composed player on the ball, and especially for one so young. That was really the most notable thing about his first couple of seasons. There was none of this dwelling on the ball and aimless hoofing that we're seeing at the minute.
No he wasn't. He always has been a pretty nervous wreck when he has the ball. There is not one game where he has not played a risk back pass to the GK and he expects VDS to clear it for him. He rarely plays the ball forward.

The ratio of him playing the ball forward to playing it sideways or backwards is very small. He mostly plays it back or sideways whether he has time on the ball or not. The sign of a good player in any sport where a ball in involved is that you should always want the ball to come to you - Cricket, Basketball, Soccer, Football etc.

Ringo 07

He is a brilliant defender that had a horrific off night last night. He will see better days but he needs to bulk up and sort his head out. He is not getting a look in so how can he be expected to perform. Phil Neville is an example - often a laughing stock with fans but left for a top 6 team and became their best player!

RDCR07

He is a brilliant defender that had a horrific off night last night. He will see better days but he needs to bulk up and sort his head out. He is not getting a look in so how can he be expected to perform.
Smalling does not play week in week out. He still performs exceptionally well for a player who only plays like once in two weeks and sometimes even less. You have to learn everyday from Vidic and Rio. There are no better teammates in this world who you could learn more from than those two. Its a blessing for you if you are a young and upcoming defender and you have two of the top five defenders in your team.

fatboy

He's having a somewhat prolonged dip in form, which is not utterly worrying for a relatively young defender. On the other hand, he's not progressed as much as I had hoped considering the potential he showed at 19. Let's hope he gets it together soon.

vuc

First Team Serb
He is a brilliant defender that had a horrific off night last night. He will see better days but he needs to bulk up and sort his head out. He is not getting a look in so how can he be expected to perform. Phil Neville is an example - often a laughing stock with fans but left for a top 6 team and became their best player!
People have to stop using words like 'great' and 'brilliant' when talking about Evans.

TheReligion

Abusive
Problem is evans is clearly regressing at the minute. This is becoming more than a dip in form. It started at the tail of last season and has got steadily worse.

RDCR07

Did he have surgery on his ankle? Was he having nagging injury problems towards the end of last season and he wanted to postponed his treatment till the season ended?

Decotron

Took these quotes from the matchday thread but thought they were worth a separate airing.......

initially refering to Smalling Fergie went on with.....

"and the form of Jonny Evans on the training pitch. "Jonny had a fantastic season last season and he’s starting to come into form again," said the manager. "His training performances have been absolutely superb in the last few weeks. I’ve got two great talents there."

Theres a good chance that between now and the end of the season Evans will get a run of games, heres hoping the above is true and we see him back to the composed defender that impressed so much last season. A very important player for us potentially

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Took these quotes from the matchday thread but thought they were worth a separate airing.......

initially refering to Smalling Fergie went on with.....

"and the form of Jonny Evans on the training pitch. "Jonny had a fantastic season last season and he’s starting to come into form again," said the manager. "His training performances have been absolutely superb in the last few weeks. I’ve got two great talents there."

Theres a good chance that between now and the end of the season Evans will get a run of games, heres hoping the above is true and we see him back to the composed defender that impressed so much last season. A very important player for us potentially
Great news. There was never any doubt he'd find his form again. If he's upped his game in training it can't be long before he's back to his best in a competitive game.

Decotron

Great news. There was never any doubt he'd find his form again. If he's upped his game in training it can't be long before he's back to his best in a competitive game.

Its all about the squad from here on in imo. Valencia, Rooney, Evans are all vital players that have been missed. If we can keep the majority of the squad fit, add those 3 and it bodes well.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Well, I think Fergie just wants to keep Evans sweet while it seems Smalling has moved ahead of him in the pecking order.

I would not be surprised if Evans plays against Liverpool.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, I think Fergie just wants to keep Evans sweet while it seems Smalling has moved ahead of him in the pecking order.

I would not be surprised if Evans plays against Liverpool.
Possibly. Although if Evans wasn't playing really well in training he'd be well aware of that fact. Which would mean Fergie coming out and saying he was playing superbly would be more likely to confuse the hell out of him than keep him sweet.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Obviously his form has dipped but I find it strange that a good number of posters on this forum seem to have completely forgotten his terrific performances alongside Vidic over the last couple of years, especially in Europe. All this talk that Smalling is a better defender and a better prospect is such knee-jerkery, Evans has proven himself as one of the best young defenders in world football and a dodgy start to this season doesn't change that in my eyes.

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai
Obviously his form has dipped but I find it strange that a good number of posters on this forum seem to have completely forgotten his terrific performances alongside Vidic over the last couple of years, especially in Europe. All this talk that Smalling is a better defender and a better prospect is such knee-jerkery, Evans has proven himself as one of the best young defenders in world football and a dodgy start to this season doesn't change that in my eyes.

Erm.. to be honest, i've always felt he was incredibly overrated, even during gour fantastic spell of clean sheets 2 seasons ago. I'm not saying he is a bad player, but from the first day, he had always been suspect in the air, as well as with players running at him, and that had not changed one bit since then. Smalling on the other hand, possesses all the qualities needed to be as good as Rio. All he need is experience, which is the only advantage Evans had over him.

evra

Erm.. to be honest, i've always felt he was incredibly overrated, even during gour fantastic spell of clean sheets 2 seasons ago. I'm not saying he is a bad player, but from the first day, he had always been suspect in the air, as well as with players running at him, and that had not changed one bit since then. Smalling on the other hand, possesses all the qualities needed to be as good as Rio. All he need is experience, which is the only advantage Evans had over him.
I think Smalling is a good prospect but he hasn't shown anything like the potential that Evans has shown- the boy has had mature performances against Inter, AC Milan, Chelsea and Arsenal to name but a few. He's still in his early twenties and people are writing him off because he's had a dodgy start to the season!

I just can't agree with you when you say he's always looked suspect in the air or "with players running at him", I have seen great defenders look poor on occasion in both of those facets of defending but you can't expect young players to be completely perfect and never make mistakes. I contend that Evans will be one of the best cb's in the world when he's in his mid to late thirties, he's already proven so much.

Decotron

His breakthrough performances for Sunderland and Northern Ireland really make a joke of this post. Suspect in the air isnt true. As a defender he reads the game, more like Rio in that respect. That style of defender rarely excels in their early 20's, Remember Rio and West ham and Leeds? Similar type of "errors", its part of the course.

Players running at him is a bit of lazy criticism. Look around the world and name me anyone defender who is comfortable with it? Look at Puyol/Pique? Look at Rio and the weekend, look at Vidic during his own dodgy spell. Its all about confidence levels imo.

Smalling is promising I agree but Evans is still the better option at the highest level. Having him there will only focus the mind more as far as Jonny is concerned. That my take on it anyway.

IrishLegend

I find it really funny people slagging off Evans. His performances over the last two season have proved that he's one of the best Young CB's around. During our 'Have not conceded" run he was an integral part. Infact that whole season he was a integral part of the whole team as it seemed when Rio was fit, Vida was injured and when Vida was fit Rio was Injured. Evans fitted in perfectly.

You don't suddenly become a shit player over night. He's going through a spell of bad form, every player does. Rooney isn't in the best of form right now and he's still a top top player.

RDCR07

I think Smalling is a good prospect but he hasn't shown anything like the potential that Evans has shown- the boy has had mature performances against Inter, AC Milan, Chelsea and Arsenal to name but a few. He's still in his early twenties and people are writing him off because he's had a dodgy start to the season!
Ah maybe because Smalling has been here only 6 months and still hasn't played against the likes of Milan and Inter. We still have not played Chelsea this season. And he did not play the one game we played against Arsenal this season. I still think Smalling will become a better defender than Evans.

charleysurf

His breakthrough performances for Sunderland and Northern Ireland really make a joke of this post. Suspect in the air isnt true. As a defender he reads the game, more like Rio in that respect. That style of defender rarely excels in their early 20's, Remember Rio and West ham and Leeds? Similar type of "errors", its part of the course.

Players running at him is a bit of lazy criticism. Look around the world and name me anyone defender who is comfortable with it? Look at Puyol/Pique? Look at Rio and the weekend, look at Vidic during his own dodgy spell. Its all about confidence levels imo.

Smalling is promising I agree but Evans is still the better option at the highest level. Having him there will only focus the mind more as far as Jonny is concerned. That my take on it anyway.
It's like the people who said " I always said Rooney was shit" when his form dropped so badly after his injury against Bayern. They were pretty quiet about that view earlier that season.

Rooney proved he is class over a long period before his form dropped, and Evans is the same. Rooneys getting back to a better level, and I'm sure Evans will be the same given time.

RDCR07

It's like the people who said " I always said Rooney was shit" when his form dropped so badly after his injury against Bayern. They were pretty quiet about that view earlier that season.

Rooney proved he is class over a long period before his form dropped, and Evans is the same. Rooneys getting back to a better level, and I'm sure Evans will be the same given time.
But Rooney is one of the best players and one of the best strikers in the world. Evans is no where close to being the best defender in the world.

charleysurf

But Rooney is one of the best players and one of the best strikers in the world. Evans is no where close to being the best defender in the world.
Jesus, you're being so pedantic I don't know why I'm bothering to reply. Rooney played well over a long period: then his level drops and people say he's been shit all along.
Substitute Evans for Rooney and the same thing has happened.

Evans does not need to be the best defender in the world. He just needs to get back to being the same player that played so well against the likes of Chelsea and Spain.

Decotron

Jesus, you're being so pedantic I don't know why I'm bothering to reply. Rooney played well over a long period: then his level drops and people say he's been shit all along.
Substitute Evans for Rooney and the same thing has happened.

Evans does not need to be the best defender in the world. He just needs to get back to being the same player that played so well against the likes of Chelsea and Spain.
Just nod and say ok, you'll live longer mate :angel:

IrishLegend

Yeah because how many defenders do you know who've only just turned 23 that are world class?

And if you say Pique I will find you and slap you with a massive Salmon.

evra

Ah maybe because Smalling has been here only 6 months and still hasn't played against the likes of Milan and Inter. We still have not played Chelsea this season. And he did not play the one game we played against Arsenal this season. I still think Smalling will become a better defender than Evans.
This is what riles me, you have nothing to base that on apart from an uneducated hunch. Obviously Smalling hasn't played against the aforementioned teams but the issue is that people are just assuming he'll be able to jump the same hurdles that Evans has already jumped.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
This is what riles me, you have nothing to base that on apart from an uneducated hunch. Obviously Smalling hasn't played against the aforementioned teams but the issue is that people are just assuming he'll be able to jump the same hurdles that Evans has already jumped.
I think Smalling has potential to be in the same bracket as Rio, in the case of Evans he just needs to bulk up a bit and get a bit of confidence back, when he does that he could be an awesome defender for us.

I don't like comparing between the two but i can see both being or CB's just like Pally/Brucie and Rio/Vidic.

Good times :)

twitter thread suggester
He's done very well so far this first half. A couple wayward passes up the pitch, but other than that he's been top notch. A shame about the header on the post.

Also some impressive runs with the ball through the centre.

Good comeback so far.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Had Torres in his pocket for the second time in his career, and it looked like Torres was targeting him to start off with.

Proof if needed that Smalling's actually not ahead of Evans?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Good half but is still suspect in the air, even against the likes of Torres. Means the lad is up to par with his good old self.

quethenoo

Had Torres in his pocket for the second time in his career, and it looked like Torres was targeting him to start off with.

Proof if needed that Smalling's actually not ahead of Evans?
certainly a curveball from saf in terms of selection, think most people would have had smalling in there first, fair play tho, evans has justified his selection so far. Good half and unlucky with the header.

hungrywing

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Evans' problems tend not to rear their head against the 'big' teams. It's usually against what he perceives to be 'lesser' opposition that he lets himself down for whatever reason, whether it's arrogance or too much second-guessing the quality of the opposition.

MacMUFC

Brilliant performance. Those doubters need to take a good look at themselves. I've always had Evans ahead of Smalling even through his bad small.

Status
Not open for further replies.