Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd say Evans has quite comfortably been our best defender this season, long term I do think Smalling will be the better player of the two but then if Jones is continued to be looked at as a utility player playing RB & CM then there's no reason why Smalling & Evans couldn't be our long term centre back partnership.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I'd say Evans has quite comfortably been our best defender this season, long term I do think Smalling will be the better player of the two but then if Jones is continued to be looked at as a utility player playing RB & CM then there's no reason why Smalling & Evans couldn't be our long term centre back partnership.
think Jones will eventually end up in midfield. said it elsewhere. think it will be Smalling and Evans in the center.

Nathan

He really is very composed on the ball these days and looks comfortable going forward. No longer just hoofing the ball forward, trying to pick out a pass to player.

Well done, good to see that he is more confident.

humdinger

Really stepped up this season when we needed him. Glad he is finally getting some recognition as he has been one of our best players this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Having a great season and has shown great character to bounce back from his slump last season. His response to that was always going to be a definitive point of his career which would determine what level of player he'd end up. And he's responded fantastically. He's also become a tougher defender than he was when he broke through a couple of years back.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I notice he's a really dirty bastard - left one on an Albion player high up the field on our right side in the second half. Quite a regular thing.

Brilliant form though. Love how he brings the ball out from the back.

The Neviller

Just like to smugly point out that I have never doubted his talent and called for us to stick by him :)
Well if you're going to wear that as a badge of honour then I'm going to raise you that in the newbies I was called a Jonny Evans fan-boy for rating him and not thinking he was horse-shit. I win.

Jonno

Once again too many people have slated a youngster and attempted to put him to the sword, or, flog him to Sunderland! But it just shows to stick by our very young players and to stop trying to be amateur talent scouts. Evans has been our most consistent, solid centre back this season, and I wonder what we would have done without him?

lysglimt

Scout
whats impressed me the most is that he seem to be winning the battles with the really physical players these days....

By far our best defender in the last 6 months

Jonno

whats impressed me the most is that he seem to be winning the battles with the really physical players these days....

By far our best defender in the last 6 months
I reckon he will be a very strong guy when he gets to his late 20's, he will keep building up in the gym and assert that strength on the pitch

fatboy

Seems to have become a bit quicker too. Great to see him back to his best. Him and Smalling can become the new partnership for the next 5-10 years.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Guy in my office likened him to Savic this morning. No, really.

Wonder how long he'll have to maintain this form before some people notice he's actually a very good player?

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Seems to have become a bit quicker too. Great to see him back to his best. Him and Smalling can become the new partnership for the next 5-10 years.
Quick, agile and calm. Good to see him coming out of tricky situations with flair.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Guy in my office likened him to Savic this morning. No, really.

Wonder how long he'll have to maintain this form before some people notice he's actually a very good player?
I was roundly laughed at when I suggested Carrick is the best English midfielder around right now, in summary most football fans know feck all man.

Commadus

He is very good on the ball in tight situations. He hardly panics when being closed down. Playing along side a fit Ferdinand does help.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
He is very good on the ball in tight situations. He hardly panics when being closed down. Playing along side a fit Ferdinand does help.
Evan Ferdinand hoofs the ball more than Evans does. His calmness and control on the ball is excellent.

There was one situation yesterday where the ball came from high in the air and Evans had a WBA player not that far away from him. A player with worse technique would have hoofed the ball upfield or for a throw instantly, but Evans used an extra touch to control the ball and passed it calmly out to Evra, allowing us to start building an attack. Love that kind of stuff from CBs - its rare to see. Vidic for instance would never have done the same.

mu77

to add to the above post . he really comes out of the back with intent. his passing and running after passing looks like we've another midf. it heps wba was hanging back but he's done it in many games lately

misterredmist

Playing very well, and judging by his calm demeanour when bringing the ball out of defence, he's confident and free of gremlins....... keep it up Johnny Boy !

Shimo

I think it makes a big difference to our game when he brings the ball out the back. Often teams end up closing out options to our CM and we try to draw them out by passing it around but, if they are pressing well we end up having to hoof it out.

With him taking the ball out, we end up at least in the opponent's half putting pressure on them. Worked quite well against West Brom.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think it makes a big difference to our game when he brings the ball out the back. Often teams end up closing out options to our CM and we try to draw them out by passing it around but, if they are pressing well we end up having to hoof it out.

With him taking the ball out, we end up at least in the opponent's half putting pressure on them. Worked quite well against West Brom.
I remember marjen, I think, posting some stats about how we actually score much more freely with Evans in the team than without him. As with all stats, they should be taken with a pinch of salt but I do agree his ability to carry the ball deep into the opposition half helps keep them on the back foot.

That used to be Rio's role but he's getting a bit old to get up and down the pitch all day, so we needed someone else to get forward in his absence.

Decotron

I remember marjen, I think, posting some stats about how we actually score much more freely with Evans in the team than without him. As with all stats, they should be taken with a pinch of salt but I do agree his ability to carry the ball deep into the opposition half helps keep them on the back foot.

That used to be Rio's role but he's getting a bit old to get up and down the pitch all day, so we needed someone else to get forward in his absence.
From what I hear Rafael could fufill the role and do that job just as well ;)

vuc

First Team Serb
Evan Ferdinand hoofs the ball more than Evans does. His calmness and control on the ball is excellent.

There was one situation yesterday where the ball came from high in the air and Evans had a WBA player not that far away from him. A player with worse technique would have hoofed the ball upfield or for a throw instantly, but Evans used an extra touch to control the ball and passed it calmly out to Evra, allowing us to start building an attack. Love that kind of stuff from CBs - its rare to see. Vidic for instance would never have done the same.
:lol:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
IIRC he lets Rio make about twice as many passes as Vidic takes himself from the back, but he does play balls forward, and very well imo. Rio is one of the best so it may make Vidic seem less impressive in comparison, and because Vidic often defers to him when passing from the back.

vuc

First Team Serb
Its funny that when I saw vuc was the last to reply I knew it was because of my comment about Vidic.

Vidic is our best CB, but he is in no way a ball playing CB. Composure on the ball is far from his best attribute.
It's funny because you make it seem like he is a pub player on the ball. Ball playing CB he might not be but he can pass under pressure no problem.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
It's funny because you make it seem like he is a pub player on the ball. Ball playing CB he might not be but he can pass under pressure no problem.
Ofc hes no mug on the ball, if he was he wouldnt be regarded one of the best in the world. All I said was that he wouldnt have done the same in the particular situation I mentioned. Its your extremely defensive mindset about him that made that remark equal to calling him a pub player.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
This is classy:

Credits to beautifullyred.co.uk
You put some shit on a stick and that's a world class defensive intervention from Jonny Evans according to Redcafe.net, the leading Irish forum.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
The complacency surrounding this lad from some posters is as bad as vuc's on Vidic is, and what's worse it is exactly why he got dire in his second professional season. Vidic had to prove himself against the tide and with little support going for him in his first six months at United. Evans shagged some bird during an official United event weeks after his debut.

Laphroaig

The complacency surrounding this lad from some posters is as bad as vuc's on Vidic is, and what's worse it is exactly why he got dire in his second professional season. Vidic had to prove himself against the tide and with little support going for him in his first six months at United. Evans shagged some bird during an official United event weeks after his debut.
Lunatic Serbs! He was accused of rape, but not prosecuted for it. Evans had a poor season for United after one terrific season for United and two for Sunderland (and impressive performances for his NT). Having faith in a very promising and young centre back (after three great seasons) isn't complacent, it's reasonable. To complain about people having faith in Evans during his poor spell now that he's proving that the faith was warranted, is mental.

All United fans love and respect Vidic, but can we not be allowed to think highly of some of our other players as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.