Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I was going to bump this thread myself, where do we think Evans ranks now amongst other PL defenders?

When you look at the likes of Cahill, Ivanovic, Skrtel, Dawson etc etc he's at least as good as all of them on current form is he not?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was going to bump this thread myself, where do we think Evans ranks now amongst other PL defenders?

When you look at the likes of Cahill, Ivanovic, Skrtel, Dawson etc etc he's at least as good as all of them on current form is he not?
He's streets ahead of Cahill... I'll tell you that right off the bat.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
I must say I have been rarely complimentary of young Evans ... and a mistake he made against the spuds in the first 10 minutes or so of Sunday's match, did not endear him to any United supporter watching. There again, I could say the same however about several United players of whom we expect more.

But back to Evans; it must be said he has improved steadily and his extended place in the side, due to the absence of Vidic and Smalling, has helped him immensely ... and thankfully not at any great cost to the team.

I personally don't see the potential yet for true greatness (and we've had more than our fair share of stellar CB's in our illustrious history to compare to) I would however, compare him to the talent level of say, a Wes Brown who, at his best was more than capable of holding his own in any back four including the National team. So I am hopeful!

At his worst, Brown and Evans both have had a few "mare's" but without doubt Johnny is improving steadily, thanks in large part to Ferdinand's mentorship. As long as he stays fit (which Wes couldn't) and based on this season's performances Evans looks like he will earn his fair share of Kudo's along the way. Good for him & good for us!

Mick1991

Though he was good tonight (as strange as it sounds when we let in three). He's turning into a bit of a monster.....

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He had some good moments but has been nowhere for their goals (as the rest of our players). Has been very good lately though

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Would love to see the hard stats of goals conceded when he plays v goals conceded when he doesn't.

Tonight, when he was there did well but we seem to be conceading a lot of sloppy goals of late.

decorativeed

Don't think he can be blamed for any of their goals tonight as he was always on a man, it was Jones, Smalling and Rafael who lost theirs for the goals. Evans made some excellent tackles tonight, especially when covering the acres of space Evra left for them while marauding all over the place.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Along with De Gea, Evans was the only player I felt to come out of tonight with any credit. Maybe Giggs, but im more thinking the younger players.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Would love to see the hard stats of goals conceded when he plays v goals conceded when he doesn't.

Tonight, when he was there did well but we seem to be conceading a lot of sloppy goals of late.
Stats or no stats, Evans did everything right tonight he got stuck in when the rest of them looked like they didn't give a shit.

Commadus

First goal - Jones let Lloriente run free.
Second Goal - offside - nothing you can do about it -Evans pushed up but the linesman missed it.
Third goal - What was Jones doing trying to win an unwinnable ball and then rafael had fell asleep.

He made one error but the striker did not score - other than that along side De Gea these two stood out.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Playing some wonderful stuff at the moment, one instance was when he was fouled and he still managed to head the ball away on the floor, unfortunate we haven't got Vidic fit. Him and Evans in this form would have been unfair.

Donut

If he wouldn't have had that blip, he'd be regarded as one of the best in the league by everyone.

Ash_G

Great again and he's become so comfortable carrying the ball forward. Done a complete Fletch it seems, took the stick from the fans, kept going and shown his quality. Really want him to get his first goal now. Something tells me that once he gets that first one he'll get a fair few.

Amir

If he wouldn't have had that blip, he'd be regarded as one of the best in the league by everyone.
Yeah, it's the Gary Neville syndrome. You have a bad period, then need five years to make people realise you're over it and quite good.

Aint gota Kalou

He's definitely our best ball playing centre back, this season he's become ultra composed on the ball and nothing seems to faze him. Been great this season.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Imperious today.

My MoM, despite Young, and Welbeck having good games and Rooney scoring a brace.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Lately, he has been doing plenty of excellent interceptions, he's become a very good reader of the game

Fergies Formula

Never knew he was capable of this. Have to admit I was one of his harshest critics but as the season has progressed he has proved many wrong, he is developing into a very very good played and shame on my for not being able to see any sign of it before.

good lad johnny

decorativeed

I agree he was good midweek, let down by those around him. He was good today too, but I do wish he'd stop hanging around on the right wing and marauding all over the opposition half when the scoreline is tight.

The Neviller

About time he got the credit he deserves. He's always had the ability, he just went through a bit of a rough spell, as young players do. Always rated him. He's in superb form right now, looking like a real class act.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Just got singled out for praise on motd2. Great to see him getting the recognition he deserves, finally.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He was fantastic today, yet again. Wonder what the 'tards who were calling for his sale have to say for themselves.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just like to smugly point out that I have never doubted his talent and called for us to stick by him :)

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Just like to smugly point out that I have never doubted his talent and called for us to stick by him :)
Me neither.

However this season he has surprised me with his abilities on the ball. His passing is a lot more composed and he looks very confident.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've never doubted his talent either. I'm sure a lot of us didn't. It's just a small minority who got all knee-jerk.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Me neither.

However this season he has surprised me with his abilities on the ball. His passing is a lot more composed and he looks very confident.
In previous seasons his passing % was always very high although that is probably down to the fact he'd pass it to his fullback or partner. With Rio's lack of pace, Jonny's been the one to carry the ball forward and distribute the ball and he's really taken to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.