Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
We'll always be better with one or other of Vidic and Ferdinand in our starting line-up. They're our best central defenders.

What we can say about Evans, though, is that he's proved himself capable of playing very well alongside Rio and Vidic. Jury's still out on him and Smalling. On paper, they'd be great but they've played so few games together there's bound to be teething problems.
Of course, experience is the key. Rio and Vidic came together at a great time, they had experience already and built up a great partnership with Vidic dominating aerially and Rio sweeping up. I think Smalling can dominate aerially and Jonny can sweep up but obviously in regards to Smalling he's very inexperienced, he was only playing non-league a few years ago! Also Smalling could very easily assume Rio's role but it'd be a waste of his aerial presence. Also I think Jones will mature in a superb eventually. Exciting times.

dev1l

Of course, experience is the key. Rio and Vidic came together at a great time, they had experience already and built up a great partnership with Vidic dominating aerially and Rio sweeping up. I think Smalling can dominate aerially and Jonny can sweep up but obviously in regards to Smalling he's very inexperienced, he was only playing non-league a few years ago! Also Smalling could very easily assume Rio's role but it'd be a waste of his aerial presence. Also I think Jones will mature in a superb eventually. Exciting times.
My only concern with smalling is that at times he has some silvestresque moments - he does not attack the ball enough. (vidic is best at it and jones next imo.)
Otherwise he s a complete defender, though i expect him to use his height better and score more goals.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We have a defender with his superb ability, and he is only 24. I'd say at least 10 more years of him and he'll most likely get even better. :drool:

Aint gota Kalou

We have a defender with his superb ability, and he is only 24. I'd say at least 10 more years of him and he'll most likely get even better. :drool:
He's brilliant isn't he? The best thing about him is the way he's now become very composed on the ball and never seems rushed in what he's going to do with it. It says enough that he's keeping someone with Smallings quality on the bench.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What I like is that he has become very calm. Before, he was too much hussling around and all over the place, then conceding stupid fouls. Nowadays, he's at the right place at the right time, and he has become very complete (strong, good in the air, good with the ball, good reader)

LLMU

He has come through leaps and bounds this season. His reading of the game from the back is very much spot on and love the way he brings the ball out of defence.

032Devil

http://TheBusbyWay.com/2012/04/15/he-is-now-arguably-the-best-defender-in-the-country/?

SAF: “Jonny came to us from Belfast when he was 12 or 13, always exceptionally talented but gangly with physical issues growing up.

“We had him out on loan with Antwerp and Sunderland and now we are seeing the value of nurturing him.

“There is no doubt he has been helped playing alongside the experience of Rio and he is now arguably the best defender in the country.”

Cold_Boy

Evans is turning out be one hell of a complete center half.

Best in the league currently?

Agent Red

So great to see how he's come on this season. Last season there were times when I worried as to whether he'd get over his nervousness and make it at the club, but he's completely proved me wrong.

Stepped up in Vidic's absence to a level beyond what any of us could have hoped for.

twitter thread suggester
I thought his passing was very sloppy in the first half, but that play for Nani's goal was brilliant by Evans.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Nice assist for the last goal aswell.

prateik

Was an excellent prospect.. is in great form..
As good as you can expect a young defender to be... Love his forward runs.. He has added that to his game this season.. brilliant.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
But he has been fantastic all season.

Why can't he be labeled the best?
Because it's not necessarily a logical progression.

You can have an excellent season but not be "the best". Now if he replicates this sort of form next season then he can be regarded as amongst the best.

As it stands, he's a very talented young centre-half who's beginning to realise the potential that most saw in him when he first got into the team.

Cold_Boy

Because it's not necessarily a logical progression.

You can have an excellent season but not be "the best". Now if he replicates this sort of form next season then he can be regarded as amongst the best.

As it stands, he's a very talented young centre-half who's beginning to realise the potential that most saw in him when he first got into the team.
And again I said "currently".

And apparently SAF has said the same today, so go tell him he is wrong too.

Godfather

What a pass to Nani that was. Beautiful. Really has stepped up big time this season. One of the best if not the best defender in the league atm.

Sw33t

He was absolutely joy-us to watch today. Fantastic footballer, love him

The_Midfielder

What a pass to Nani that was. Beautiful. Really has stepped up big time this season. One of the best if not the best defender in the league atm.
Initially I thought it was Berbatov that had made that pass...
This is how good he has become

vanthaman

Winner
I'd like to take credit, I slagged him off earlier in te season against Chelsea and since then he's been immense

The Neviller

So great to see how he's come on this season. Last season there were times when I worried as to whether he'd get over his nervousness and make it at the club, but he's completely proved me wrong.

Stepped up in Vidic's absence to a level beyond what any of us could have hoped for.
Personally I always knew he was this good. He was very unfairly scapegoated at times last season, and particularly after the City game this season.

He's a class centre half, always had the ability, just needed to show it consistently. Has been superb this season, and as has been said, has stepped in for the best centre half in the country and hasn't looked out of place.

Another thing too, plenty thought Smalling and Jones were going to be our centreback pairing for years to come, they're going to have to play superbly well to dislodge Evans. I'd suggest when everyone is fit and well it's going to be very hard to leave Evans out.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's joy to watch Evans-Rio partnership. Picked up nice assist too.

Ash_G

Still got some mates who refuse to accept that Evans has become an excellent player, at least the media are finally giving him some praise. He's got so much to his game right now, I'm genuinely wondering what will happen when Vidic is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.