Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yes I do because I don't rate either player and find it amazing how many do on here. If however they have a good game I will admit it.

I am not the sort of poster that will go on about how well such a player has done i.e oooh didn't nani take his goal well, as generally there is little to debate in this type of scenario and IMO not what forums are about.
Yea, where's the fun in enjoying the good moments of a football match when there's moaning to be done elsewhere.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
check the history of the thread though, people look for any excuse to slag off particular players. Bizarrely its usually homegrown players that get the worst stick
It is because they have boring names like Evans, Gibson and Jones.

I have to admit though, even my muppet juices start to flow more when I hear us linked to a fancy foreigner that I have only seen play a handful of times rather than to an Ashley Young or James Milner.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes because they would both walk into any other top team in Europe.
That's where you show how clueless you are. You think every single centre-half at "any other top team in Europe" is better than Jonny Evans? Like feck they are.

Oh and Jonny Evans is a back-up to Rio and Vidic. He's not even supposed to be part of our best XI.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
That's where you show how clueless you are. You think every single centre-half at "any other top team in Europe" is better than Jonny Evans? Like feck they are.

Oh and Jonny Evans is a back-up to Rio and Vidic. He's not even supposed to be part of our best XI.
Yes sorry Pogue, I am clueless despite Utd shipping goals whenever a team really presses us, must be the full backs!!!

Vidic is 30 and has a cruciate, so we have no idea what he will be like when he gets back and Rio is well passed his best but still quality. Going into next season with Evans as 'back up' would be very short sighted.

I have not seen a Utd team look as vulnerable at the back for a very long time.

He is a defender, that opposition teams know is liable to make errors in any game and make no mistake City will target him, if he plays on Monday.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes sorry Pogue, I am clueless despite Utd shipping goals whenever a team really presses us, must be the full backs!!!

Vidic is 30 and has a cruciate, so we have no idea what he will be like when he gets back and Rio is well passed his best but still quality. Going into next season with Evans as 'back up' would be very short sighted.

I have not seen a Utd team look as vulnerable at the back for a very long time.

He is a defender, that opposition teams know is liable to make errors in any game and make no mistake City will target him, if he plays on Monday.
You're clueless.

He's a class act and will only get better. He's been our main man all season and we've conceded the second least amount of goals a third of which came in two matches; six when he was uncharacteristically sent off against City and four against Villa on Saturday. One brainfart he can take some responsibility for and the other he must share responsibility with the rest of his back line who were worse than him. 22 goals in the remaining 33 games says it all.

gaz hacket

This was the strangest thing with out tactics yesterday I though. Everton were always going to win the aerial battle, yet we seemed to play into their hands and let them get the service too easily.

I hope Mancini does play Balotelli over Tevez, because we'll beat them. The movement of Tevez and Aguero will cause Evans & Ferdinand serious problems. I'd rather Balotelli play.

Fellaini caused us problems in the everton match , balotelli might give us problems with his height as felliani did.

Aboutreika18

What injury? Sharky seems to be the only one who knows...
James Ducker writes in The Times...

Evans in race against time for derby clash

Manchester United are sweating on the fitness of Jonny Evans before Monday’s pivotal derby. The Northern Ireland centre half has not trained all week after suffering an injury during United’s 4-4 draw at home to Everton on Sunday and is a doubt for the short trip to face Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. The type and extent of the problem was unclear last night but Evans was able to finish the game against Everton. Having formed a formidable partnership in central defence with Rio Ferdinand in the absence of the injured Nemanja Vidic, the potential loss of Evans for such a crucial game would be a huge blow to United. Chris Smalling, who has made only one start in the past two months, or Phil Jones, who has struggled for form of late, would most likely deputise if Evans is ruled out, although Sir Alex Ferguson is certain to give the player every opportunity to prove his fitness.
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ers-Jonny-Evans-faces-derby-fitness-test.aspx

davisjw

He was in the starting XI according to ESPN. Must have have been a last second decision.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think Evans was a really big loss yesterday.

Not so much for his defending as his ability on the ball. There were loads of occasions where the ball dropped to Smalling with nobody near him and he headed or booted it back upfield, straight to a City player. In the same situation Evans would have killed the ball and picked out a United player. I rate Smalling but he hasn't played in ages and he looked (unsurprisingly) rusty and nervous.

He only completed 18 out of 22 passes last night. Evans has averaged around 90% pass completion and 50 - 60 passes in most games. Even the last time we struggled as much as we did last night (against Wigan) Evans attempted 46 passes and completed 93% of them.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't particularly think Evans would've made a massive difference yesterday. We saw how uncomfortable he looked in the Everton game, and I think we would have been even more vulnerable at he back with him playing yesterday. With the exception of the goal, Smalling wasn't actually too bad in all honesty.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don't particularly think Evans would've made a massive difference yesterday. We saw how uncomfortable he looked in the Everton game, and I think we would have been even more vulnerable at he back with him playing yesterday. With the exception of the goal, Smalling wasn't actually too bad in all honesty.
Completed 46/51 passes (90%).

Like I said, it wasn't his defending we missed. It was his composure and ability on the ball. It puts so much more pressure on the team as a whole when we have a central defender who is making hasty clearances the whole time, instead of knocking it round at the back or picking a man out in midfield.

Bearing in mind that we had to do a fair bit of defending, the low number of passes completed by Smalling really stands out.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Like I said, it wasn't his defending we missed. It was his composure and ability on the ball. It puts so much more pressure on the team as a whole when we have a central defender who is making hasty clearances the whole time, instead of knocking it round at the back or picking a man out in midfield.

Bearing in mind that we had to do a fair bit of defending, the low number of passes completed by Smalling really stands out.
Well he didn't exactly looked composed on the ball in the Everton game, and I was worried about him because of the calibre of striker he would've been up against. In any other game, I would have agreed with you, but I really wasn't feeling confident with the prospect of Evans playing in this one.

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!

Smalling is better on the ball than Evans, and brings more composure to the defence. Comparing the number of passes made between the Everton game and the city game is a bit stupid really considering City put more pressure on our midfield and defence than what Everton did, not to mention the team selection featuring Giggs and Park doesn't exactly help matters.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Smalling is better on the ball than Evans, and brings more composure to the defence. Comparing the number of passes made between the Everton game and the city game is a bit stupid really considering City put more pressure on our midfield and defence than what Everton did, not to mention the team selection featuring Giggs and Park doesn't exactly help matters.
No he's not and no he doesn't.

Which explains why Fergie's picking Evans ahead of him throughout the whole season so far.

If you bothered to read the post I wrote when I bumped this thread you'll see that I didn't just compare the City and Everton games.

Stretch

What complete and utter delusion
He's right though. Losing Evans was not just a matter of changing the defense but also getting the right formation and players in the right positions.

I suspect we'd have put Smalling at RB if Evans was fit and possibly Jones at deep lying CM to destroy play and cover for when Smalling or Evra go forward. Thus it sort of forced us to play likes of Park as we had very little alternatives.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What complete and utter delusion
Not getting into this with you. With any other poster I'd like to think that Evans excellent season - stepping up in Vidic's absence - would have taught some humility after all the drivel you've posted about him in the last two seasons.

With you, though, there's not a hope in hell of that happening so I'm not even going there.

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!
No he's not and no he doesn't.

Which explains why Fergie's picking Evans ahead of him throughout the whole season so far.

If you bothered to read the post I wrote when I bumped this thread you'll see that I didn't just compare the City and Everton games.
:lol:

Oh, you compared it to the Wigan game too? Well, point well made then:wenger:

Of course defenders are going to have more of the ball and make more passes against the lesser teams, no shit.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Evans has been our worst player over the past 3 weeks. He was no loss.

kps88

Hard not to say he was a loss when his replacement made the mistake that cost us the game. Apart from that though I don't think he would have made much of a difference. The system we played helped protect our defenders.

dev1l

Would he have stopped Kompany getting to the ball for the winner? For lets face it, that is all that counted last night.
Smalling made a big error there ...probably the only mistake in a whole match, he should not have left kompany 5 or 6 ft behind him.
I suppose that any defender knows to defend a corner better...evans included.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Not getting into this with you. With any other poster I'd like to think that Evans excellent season - stepping up in Vidic's absence - would have taught some humility after all the drivel you've posted about him in the last two seasons.

With you, though, there's not a hope in hell of that happening so I'm not even going there.
Excellent season? :lol:

I think you've repeatedly shown how neutral you are regarding this player - and Irish players in general. I think we sorely missed Richard Dunne yesterday... Vidic with pace alongside Rio and the setting was set

Evans wouldn't have made a bollock of a difference yesterday, but when it comes to him you seem a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just felt like bringing this back up again because I thought it was quite clear last night on a number of occasions that his touch is a bit hit-and-miss. He looks very elegant striding up the pitch and he's got a few silky touches up his sleeve but he does take risks, does dally on the ball and does miscontrol it considerably more than Evans, Vidic or Rio do, despite arguably looking a more stylish ball-player than any of our other defenders (now Rio's losing his pace). I wouldn't say he lacks composure or that he's even technically inferior, he's just a worse ball-player than those three. Misplaces passes more, takes heavier touches more often and generally causes more problems.

Smallings weakness is fairly obvious - he isn't composed on the ball. Notice how he always needs that extra touch or that extra 1/10 second to get the ball under control. An attacker closing down our defender always gets closer to Smalling than the other defenders....
:confused:

Smalling's pretty silky
That's just his style masking that deficiency. I've noticed it also that his touch lets him down. It's too inconsistent. Does well in most other areas of his game though.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Smalling made a big error there ...probably the only mistake in a whole match, he should not have left kompany 5 or 6 ft behind him.
I suppose that any defender knows to defend a corner better...evans included.
My word :lol:

Evans got victimized in the air by Fellaini and Nikica fooking Jelavic but yeah, Kompany wouldnt have had a patch on him.

This whole "looking for scapegoats after defeats" thing is really annoying, posters thinking we always have all the cards at our disposal and any non-win is our fault. Face it boys, some teams nowadays are better than us whatever our disposition and team selection.

Cina

I think you've repeatedly shown how neutral you are regarding this player - and Irish players in general. I think we sorely missed Richard Dunne yesterday... Vidic with pace alongside Rio and the setting was set

Evans wouldn't have made a bollock of a difference yesterday, but when it comes to him you seem a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
Evans has most definitely had an excellent season, he's been our best defender.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

He's not Irish, you massive spastic. Jonny Evans plays for Northern Ireland. I live in Dublin.

Hectic

Supports
30fps

You don't think Evans has had an excellent season? I reckon that's exactly what you would call it. Which one of our defenders has had a better one?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
You don't think Evans has had an excellent season? I reckon that's exactly what you would call it. Which one of our defenders has had a better one?
None of our defenders have had an excellent season, hence we've conceded so many goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.