Jordan Henderson | New Athletic Interview: I strongly believe that me playing in Saudi Arabia is a positive thing

AndySmith1990

It's positive for his bank account that's it. Don't know why they aren't honest about it instead of coming out with bullshit

SuperiorXI

He's a hypocrite, pure and simple and see he's using the Gary Neville defence about going there to make a change. He's going there to make a change alright, to his fecking bank balance.

Absolutely absurd that he thinks not standing up for LGBTQ+ is "respecting a culture", what a load of drivel.

IRELANDUNITED

I slightly disagree. For example my wife is a muslim and I respect her beliefs while also being supportive of the LGBTQ+ community as is she. I think it also comes down to how you choose to follow that religion or culture in some aspects. Henderson just doesn't seem to understand what he's saying really, it's like he didn't consult anyone before going into the interview and if he did then he should fire them ASAP.
I think there’s a difference between being a supporter or the LGBT community and being respectful of it. It’s possible to have different beliefs while still being respectful of other people’s beliefs. However, Henderson was very public about his support of the LGBT community, he was very vocal about wanting to set an example that he’s not only respectful but an ally of the LGBT community. His actions this summer have proven that is not the case though. You cannot claim to be a supporter of the LGBT Community if you are going to work in a country that makes being gay illegal. If he wasn’t so vocal about his support previous he mightn’t be getting the stick he is getting. People don’t like liars and hypocrites and Henderson has made himself look like one.

Ted Lasso

It’s simply not possible to be an supporter of the LGBTQ+ community if you also respect cultures and religions that make being a member of the LGBTQ+ community punishable by death. You’re either a one or the other, it’s not interchangeable.
Those are strong words for a football fan. One of the sporting cultures that notoriously harbors homophobia and racism. I think I'd focus on allowing footballers to feel more comfortable being openly gay first.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Those are strong words for a football fan. One of the sporting cultures that notoriously harbors homophobia and racism. I think I'd focus on allowing footballers to feel more comfortable being openly gay first.
It's independent of that, yes football even in the UK has a past of homophobia and racism and still does. There is a little bit of a difference between that and selling out to go play in a league funded by a regime that would put LGBT people to death I would say, especially after being effectively bought out of previous virtue signalling as an ally.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think there’s a difference between being a supporter or the LGBT community and being respectful of it. It’s possible to have different beliefs while still being respectful of other people’s beliefs. However, Henderson was very public about his support of the LGBT community, he was very vocal about wanting to set an example that he’s not only respectful but an ally of the LGBT community. His actions this summer have proven that is not the case though. You cannot claim to be a supporter of the LGBT Community if you are going to work in a country that makes being gay illegal. If he wasn’t so vocal about his support previous he mightn’t be getting the stick he is getting. People don’t like liars and hypocrites and Henderson has made himself look like one.
Yeah, but that wasn't the original point. I think you can support LGBTQ+ rights while being respectful of others religions and cultures. Just like you can be religious but support/be respectful of other peoples sexuality and their choices in life that go against your religion.

I agree though that Henderson has completely withdrawn any said support or respect he claims he has to the LGBTQ+ community though. Firstly for moving to Saudi which has extreme laws against members of this community but also due to the things he's said in this interview. He's completely submitted himself to their rhetoric by first dismissing the greying out of the rainbow band but also saying he probably wouldn't wear rainbow laces etc.

90 + 5min

New interview in the athletic. His take on the LGBTQ+ is a load of bollocks. Just take it on the chin you hypocritical cnut.

Is there anybody who can tell players just to keep their mouth closed. The more they talk the more stupid they look.
Leaving Liverpool and England to SaudiArabia is not because of money? Who does he think he talks to? 2 year old kids?

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Embarrassing interview. You‘d think those folks pay some dudes top money to help them create their favorable public image - Henderson obviously not so much.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Him playing there has no basis on anything political. He's doing a job that's it.

If you want to make a stand against Saudi and the likes of China who are similar, don't go there and boycott anything made there.

The latter part is pretty difficult.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Well unless IRELANDUNITED comes out and says he respects the culture of racism and homophobia among football fans and will refrain from any LGBTQ supportive gestures as to not upset them, I don’t believe this analogy works to be honest.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Some fall from grace, going from Liverpool legend status to a complete sell out who pissed all over a cause which he previously championed and now tearfully explaining that moving to Saudi Arabia isn't about money.

Don't know how he thinks anyone will buy it.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Some fall from grace, going from Liverpool legend status to a complete sell out who pissed all over a cause which he previously championed and now tearfully explaining that moving to Saudi Arabia isn't about money.

Don't know how he thinks anyone will buy it.
I wish one of these players would just come out and say it’s all about the money. Has anyone come out and said that yet. At least it would sound truthful.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I wish one of these players would just come out and say it’s all about the money. Has anyone come out and said that yet. At least it would sound truthful.
Ighalo, even Spurs LB said it and he said it while playing in PL.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Think I saw a quote from someone who explained how much good he could do for his family and home city with the extra money. Forgot who, though.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
So which ones of you who are extremely against Hendo playing in Saudi Arabia, while being a strong LGBTQ supporter, also watched the Qatar world cup?

Why wouldnt a guy who is an actual active advocate for LGBTQ rights playing in a league where he can voice his opinion from within? They dont give two shits what anyone outside of Arabia says.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I slightly disagree. For example my wife is a muslim and I respect her beliefs while also being supportive of the LGBTQ+ community as is she. I think it also comes down to how you choose to follow that religion or culture in some aspects. Henderson just doesn't seem to understand what he's saying really, it's like he didn't consult anyone before going into the interview and if he did then he should fire them ASAP.
It's not possible to be supportive of the LGBTQ+ community whilst following Islam in the way it's meant to be followed. Islam is pretty explicit in its disapproval of homosexuality, there's no grey area or room for interpretation.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
So which ones of you who are extremely against Hendo playing in Saudi Arabia, while being a strong LGBTQ supporter, also watched the Qatar world cup?

Why wouldnt a guy who is an actual active advocate for LGBTQ rights playing in a league where he can voice his opinion from within? They dont give two shits what anyone outside of Arabia says.
He's clearly not planning on voicing his opinion from within though.

"Firstly I'm not a politician. I never have been or wanted to be. I have never tried to change laws or rules in England, never mind a country I'm not from.

I won't disrespect the religion or culture in Saudi Arabia."

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not possible to be supportive of the LGBTQ+ community whilst following Islam in the way it's meant to be followed. Islam is pretty explicit in its disapproval of homosexuality, there's no grey area or room for interpretation.
I and my wife who would call herself a muslim disagree with having to follow Islam in a certain way to be a muslim but that discussion is perhaps for another thread. There are loads of muslims that do not follow Islam to 100% of its interpretation but then there are also disagreements about this interpretation. I don't really like saying you're less of a muslim/christian etc. than the next person because of certain 'grey areas'. I'm pretty sure the Qu'ran doesn't even refer to homosexuality.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the notions that if you support homosexuality then you're not a muslim or if you're a muslim then you can't support homosexuality.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I and my wife who would call herself a muslim disagree with having to follow Islam in a certain way to be a muslim but that discussion is perhaps for another thread. There are loads of muslims that do not follow Islam to 100% of its interpretation but then there are also disagreements about this interpretation. I don't really like saying you're less of a muslim/christian etc. than the next person because of certain 'grey areas'. I'm pretty sure the Qu'ran doesn't even refer to homosexuality.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the notions that if you support homosexuality then you're not a muslim or if you're a muslim then you can't support homosexuality.
You might disagree with it but there's millions of Muslims who have a different opinion. You're right that this probably is a conversation for another thread though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You might disagree with it but there's millions of Muslims who have a different opinion. You're right that this probably is a conversation for another thread though.
And there will be millions who also disagree. When there are 1.9 billion people following the same religion, you're not going to have everyone following it in the exact same way.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Not sure how turning on my TV and watching a game on BBC1 is comparable to receiving hundreds of thousands of pounds per week from a state that criminalises homosexuality.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
And there will be millions who also disagree. When there are 1.9 billion people following the same religion, you're not going to have everyone following it in the exact same way.
I'm pretty sure the number of Muslims who have a negative view of homosexuality is orders of magnitude bigger than the ones who don't have an issue with it

stevoc

Neves admitted he only went there for money.

In an interview with Al-Hilal, he said: "It was a good project, the club and the league presented a good project.
"My agent spoke to a lot of people involved in the league and it was an easy decision to make.

"I wanted something new for my career, something else for my career.

"When this chance came I spoke with my family and everyone was really happy to come, so it was easy for me.
"The main factor was my family and the chance to give my family the life I have always dreamt of, that was the real reason for me.
"I have three kids and a lovely wife and I need to take care of them, that is a bigger trophy than my career."

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

He has a point if by "in the way it's meant to be followed" means in the dogmatic, literal way - but you could say the same about christianity in reality. This is semantics and doesn't fundamentally matter - what does matter is that he's gone to a theocracy where the dogmatic interpretation of Islam is the rule of law.

stevoc

And you think Jordan will be doing a lot of that while being in the employ of the Saudi government do you?

Red the Bear

Something less generic

It does and it's pretty direct about it as well.

tomaldinho1

Surprised he was advised to do this, really is no upside with trying to justify something so obvious like this.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It does and it's pretty direct about it as well.
Depends how you interpret certain parts of it. Some scholars push back against the interpretations given for certain verses.

Anyway, I digress. The LGBTQ+ issue in Saudi is more an emalgamation of culture + religion rather than solely a religious issue. Not all majority muslim countries have the same laws as them.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

Don’t really care about Henderson but I didn’t watch a single game.

Amarsdd

Sports washing works incredibly well. They turned a person advocating for queer rights into an ambassador for fundamental religious nutjobs.
I agree with your major point but I don't think he was an actual advocate of anything. He seems like a guy who likes to pipe up for stuff when it makes him look good but doesn't cause him any adverse conscequences. I remember his name popping up for a couple of things before as one of the "leaders", one of those who were "speaking up"; I know one was during covid.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Depends how you interpret certain parts of it. Some scholars push back against the interpretations given for certain verses.

Anyway, I digress. The LGBTQ+ issue in Saudi is more an emalgamation of culture + religion rather than solely a religious issue. Not all majority muslim countries have the same laws as them.
They're basically torturing the commonly accepted millenia old interpretation of it to fit it into a more modern and setting and so more benefiting of our modern sensibilities.

Anyway as you said yourself, not the place to discuss it.

But yeah not th

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I agree with your major point but I don't think he was an actual advocate of anything. He seems like a guy who likes to pipe up for stuff when it makes him look good but doesn't cause him any adverse conscequences. I remember his name popping up for a couple of things before as one of the "leaders", one of those who were "speaking up"; I know one was during covid.
Oh, absolutely agree with that sentiment. But he still made a stance. Whatever the reasons.
Now he’s being paid to take the opposite stance.

Last edited:

Ted Lasso

It's independent of that, yes football even in the UK has a past of homophobia and racism and still does. There is a little bit of a difference between that and selling out to go play in a league funded by a regime that would put LGBT people to death I would say, especially after being effectively bought out of previous virtue signalling as an ally.
I just don't think it's fair to brand someone in that way here.

There's a reality here that's being forgotten - the LGBTQ+ community and their struggles are not top of mind for the majority of these athletes going to Saudi Arabia let alone the general population.

I also wouldn't call athletes support of the LGBTQ virtue signaling. For the vast majority they're being asked to affirm a social progressivism when I'm sure they would much rather be talking about sport. It's the politically correct thing to do when it just doesn't impact them. And to be frank there's probably a lot of ignorance around it. I would bet most don't know that homosexuality is punishable by execution much the same way I would bet most of those in outrage don't know the other capitol offenses that Saudi Arabia executes more people for, including not being the right "type" of Muslim. I doubt these footballers are anti- freedoms of religion or pro adultery.

It also strikes me that there's actually more outrage here with players moving to Saudi league than when Ghana refused to wear the rainbow PSG trainer or kit.

Edit:
I'm just going to add that this is pretty much par for the course with the vocal minority LGBTQ community that goes to all ends to attack and degrade those of it's own community that "step out of line" or supporters of their movement that don't do exactly as their organizers want. They find scapegoats that are easy to battle instead of using that same energy and animosity to enact significantly meaningful change. It's harder for them to have a discussion with the likes of say I Ghana and get him to come off his outspoken homophobia than it is to piss all over a guy that's gone out of his way to use his platform for them.

Last edited:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He was the Liverpool player I most wanted to see get a punch in the face, especially when he used to try his fake hard man thing.... turns out I was correct in my judgment of him being a cnut